• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo SPORT | OT | Putting it all on the line

With me it's the opposite. I'm B/S and I race most of the time with top tier players. It's very hard to win when in the same race I have to face 3 top 10 players. Seriously. In one race yesterday in Suzuka, I played against the nº2, nº4 and nº10 in Europe. Well, at least I have clean races. XD

This is why I have little interest in the FIA tournaments. The people that will do well are already racing with each other, whereas me and most people are stuck down in the mud pit trying to slop our way out of a shithole of bad drivers and bad attitudes.

I mean I'm rank C and I got matched with E drivers last night! E!!! What the hell are E drivers doing anywhere near drivers two ranks above? So like, FIA is cool and all, but back here in the real world I'm just trying to survive without my SR going down.

ty_hot

In the beta I remember adding my Scape photos to a Favorites folder, then I could [triangle] on it and export all photos at once... now in the final game I cant seem to do that. had to export one by one. Tips?

I have around 20-30 photos as my background wallpapers on my computer and chromebook. Some shots are really amazing. I think I've spent more than 3 hours in this mode already. Sometimes I just get a new car and the first thing I think is where I can take a nice photo with it.

I didn't do any GIF yet, gonna try during the weekend, had some great races today.

Some Scape shots:

(by the way, in some manufacturers page you can access some 'hidden' scape locations where you can only use their own cars. If I remeber correctly, Ferrari, Aston Martin, Mercedes, Nissan and some other japanese brands. No American because their cars are boring.)

VnzWlYV.jpg

QKVOvFp.jpg

IvEN6aH.jpg

FeD.nL

I know it's futile but I have a sliver of hope for some new events this weekend.

On another note, bit the bullet on the T-GT with the discount. Since I'm going to play GT the most I think I can get more out of it (the depth feedback) than a CSL Elite.

Sport mode looks really good, but just 3 races ? WTF

Also, how do you change wheel settings ? I can't find it anywhere. The G29 feels so hard compared to PCars2.

This is why I have little interest in the FIA tournaments. The people that will do well are already racing with each other, whereas me and most people are stuck down in the mud pit trying to slop our way out of a shithole of bad drivers and bad attitudes.

I mean I'm rank C and I got matched with E drivers last night! E!!! What the hell are E drivers doing anywhere near drivers two ranks above? So like, FIA is cool and all, but back here in the real world I'm just trying to survive without my SR going down.

What region you in? I have only been matched with similar levels and my play time has been sporadic so have seen most times of day when I have played.

I'm guessing that PD will have stuff for people of all levels to compete in (it needs to) though the test stuff seems to be more tuned to the S/S players but there are competitions for all skill levels in the real world racing so shouldn't be a problem if it is well considered.

What region you in? I have only been matched with similar levels and my play time has been sporadic so have seen most times of day when I have played.

I'm guessing that PD will have stuff for people of all levels to compete in (it needs to) though the test stuff seems to be more tuned to the S/S players but there are competitions for all skill levels in the real world racing so shouldn't be a problem if it is well considered.

I live on the west coast (NA). Granted I was playing after midnight, but still. Different E's showed up in two separate races. I remember the last race I played, an E was placed 6th in qualifying (pretty fast too, like 0:54-something on Sukuza). The matchmaking has to be prioritizing speed over SR, which I don't agree with at all. No one should be forced to race against drivers two SR ranks below.

As for adding competitions for "the rest of us", I don't feel very confident about that considering they can't even get the dailies figured out. But maybe.

Zafir

I like the idea of the SR, but I just feel like it's way too sensitive at the moment when taking into consideration that you get punished for other peoples mistakes as well as your own.

You can get hit because someone overshot/decided to use you as a brake while going round the corner a few times, but even if you drive the rest of the race carefully, with constant UP indicators, you still end up net-negative... Probably not going to keep my B rating for long, lol.

It's a shame too, I'm not a the best of drivers admittedly. In fact this is my first time playing a sim racer online. I usually just casually play the single player content. The matchmaking was kind of what pushed me into giving it a try, but yeah, it's not perfect.

Etiquette question:

If I’m barreling down a straight and about to go into a corner another car is just behind me on the inside, am I supposed to give them room? Or can I take my turn to the inside corner as normal and they need to back off?

Also, I tried motion controls with the DS4 last night and it worked remarkably well! I feel like I had better control that way that with the stick. I might stick with it until I can afford a wheel...

Duallusion

Those are some cheap-ass lazy trophy icons, this game has. Not that I care that much but it's noticable when every other aspect of the presentation is such a beaut.

Some other quick observations:

- driving a car in GTS is just pure bliss (playing on a controller)
- most of their "fantasy" racing tracks are top-notch
- somewhat rough pop-in and LOD changes
- sky looks low-res sometimes but lighting makes up for it (HDR TV)
- cars don't always look like they belong on the scene in scapes - it's a bit of a hit-or-miss thing and photos vary in quality too it seems
- livery editors need an option to save selected layers/designs seperately from cars
- had trouble making a livery yesterday because of server problems; wasn't a happy bunny
- gold medal celebration music is stuck in my head (from "campaign")

IISANDERII

Etiquette question:

If I’m barreling down a straight and about to go into a corner another car is just behind me on the inside, am I supposed to give them room? Or can I take my turn to the inside corner as normal and they need to back off?

Also, I tried motion controls with the DS4 last night and it worked remarkably well! I feel like I had better control that way that with the stick. I might stick with it until I can afford a wheel...
Very light contact seems to have a very small effect on SR. I’ve contacted somebody and still gotten green SR for that sector.

I hope they bring back the Grand Canyon track, that would look glorious in this graphics engine!

I expect la Sarthe to be the first or among the first DLC tracks. I'm actually surprised that it didn't make the initial cut given that there's even a trophy for taking a picture of an Audi R18 in a scape from the track. But they'll definitely have to balance between original tracks and real tracks. The Grand Canyon was really one of the best rally tracks in the series, and actually matched the Group B feel they're going since it had people close to the track and even on the track as you drove through it.

Aside from that, the obvious additions for original tracks are Deep Forest and Trial Mountain. They're simply essential to GT and it'll be nice to see them finally updated from their PS2 iteration since GT5/6 basically used high res versions of the GT3/4 tracks.

danowat

Banned
Etiquette question:

How far along side are they? If they are over half a car length past, they have position, otherwise they should yield, but what should happen, and what does happen are two different things.
Hm, could you have mistaken Honfleur for Nyhavn?

Yes, very possibly!!

Shiiiiiit. Can't wait to unlock night racing.

You can grind both the Photos and Livery achievements if you want to get to level 20 fast. I did it because I couldn't wait to try VR. Getting level 3 with just one of them will get you pretty close to 20 depending on what level you are right now.

ghibli99

Another outage for tonight, right when I'm planning on playing. And they misspelled 'October', which is just special. Maybe tomorrow!

Dave_6

You can grind both the Photos and Livery achievements if you want to get to level 20 fast. I did it because I couldn't wait to try VR. Getting level 3 with just one of them will get you pretty close to 20 depending on what level you are right now.

Thanks, may try it that way. I'm closing in on 12 at the moment.

bud

i'm still stuck in sr c.

this game does a lousy job of telling you if someone's closeby; the radar is too zoomed in, if that makes sense. pretty sure that's why people bump into you.

polyphony should implement arrows. think that would work a lot better.

with the radar, you still have to pay attention to whereas the arrows would be right in your face which in turn would make beginners more aware of their direct surroundings.

plidex

I like the idea of the SR, but I just feel like it's way too sensitive at the moment when taking into consideration that you get punished for other peoples mistakes as well as your own.

You can get hit because someone overshot/decided to use you as a brake while going round the corner a few times, but even if you drive the rest of the race carefully, with constant UP indicators, you still end up net-negative... Probably not going to keep my B rating for long, lol.

It's a shame too, I'm not a the best of drivers admittedly. In fact this is my first time playing a sim racer online. I usually just casually play the single player content. The matchmaking was kind of what pushed me into giving it a try, but yeah, it's not perfect.

I’ve noticed it’s too volatile, but maybe it’s an average, so the more races you do, the less it impacts in your overall rating, or something like that.

I know in iRacing it takes into account a specific number of your last races, like your 20 last races, I think nobody has been able to figure out how many races it actually is.

this game does a lousy job of telling you if someone's closeby; the radar is too zoomed in, if that makes sense. pretty sure that's why people bump into you.

polyphony should implement arrows. think that would work a lot better.

with the radar, you still have to pay attention to whereas the arrows would be right in your face which in turn would make beginners more aware of their direct surroundings.

Although the overall UI is slick, yeah that radar UI looks like something from a PS2 game. Those weird bezeled, 3D-ish arrows that are hard to read against the background. OTOH it feels like a very videogamey affordance and as a cockpit-only player I hate having to use it. But the side mirrors don't really give me a lot of easy glanceability. Someone was in my blind spot last night on the straight at Suzuka and I bumped them trying to get over to the line. Felt bad about that, but I don't really notice the radar unless I'm really looking at it on purpose.

l2ounD

Etiquette question:

I think if you have a guy behind and you chose not to block the inside line, you definitely need to adjust depending on how much you trust the guy not to hit you.

The smarter move I think would be to block the inside. If you get hit then you still have a chance to still be on the track vs being on the outside and getting pushed off.
FlatAnxiousFlyinglemur-max-14mb.gif

Zafir

Well I finally dropped to C SR. =/

Not even done that many races with a red SR marker at the end.

It feels really difficult to not get red or grey when you're in the middle of the pack.

Putty

Im not venturing online or using the wheel until ive golded all the campaign bits...currently around 85% of the first portion down, will then move onto the 2nd then the circuit experience...The addition of leaderboards makes me want to go quicker than simply golding events...Fortunately some gaffers are super quick 8)

Visually i continue to see many improvement in trackside detail compared to the beta and even demo. The ring looks simply sensational...foliage/tree's just look superb and the midday lighting with the sun blasting down is eerily realistic! Coupled with the utterly gorgeous sfx work, its a real audio visual tour de force...

Really looking forward to where Kaz takes this with updates in the future...

ghibli99

Got desperate and remote played some at lunch. Besides some hitching, got some decent Sport rounds in. Finished in top 10 at Suzuka, which felt like an accomplishment. Good stuff, although there are quite a few folks driving backwards and just in general being hazards on the track. Game does a decent job ghosting them, but it's still a major distraction. That's incentive enough to work on improving SR.

Edit: One more (Brands Hatch). Let's see if I can keep this CTR on the track. LOL

kriskrosbbk

What's your "favourite" car time?
I know there are different classes and so on, but everyone should have the get go car so far for a quick arcade race etc..
Mine is the GT-R currently. Love dem sound.

bombshell

Got desperate and remote played some at lunch. Besides some hitching, got some decent Sport rounds in. Finished in top 10 at Suzuka, which felt like an accomplishment. Good stuff, although there are quite a few folks driving backwards and just in general being hazards on the track. Game does a decent job ghosting them, but it's still a major distraction. That's incentive enough to work on improving SR.

Edit: One more (Brands Hatch). Let's see if I can keep this CTR on the track. LOL

Driving backwards on the track hehe, I luckily haven't seen any of those in GTS so far. Are you in E SR hell?

cooldawn

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss! 8-6 finally golded. Holy shit that was rough. Turns out it was all about tire selection. Start with RS front and RM rear, and at the pit on lap 11, go with all RS. Wow, fuck that shit. Had to do a ton of blocking at the end.
Another one bites the dust! Is it because of this game or something?

Anyway yeah, this 8-6 really is tough. I've managed to screw myself out of a win a couple of times. Found the best way to be consistent is RM's to start then on lap 11 change to RS.

Never really though of mixing them. Will try that next.

joeblow

What VR features are unlocked at L20?

Top Bottom