• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Previews

Putty

PD never had such time to polish since GT3/4, I expect a lot of improvements. I hope they can lock the game to 60fps and perhaps get to 2160CB..

I imagine trying to increase rez won't be a priority what so ever. I'd rather they polish up where they are now, maybe free up some more resources to improve pop in or AA method...

Oh man that doesn't sound too good for me on base PS4 :(
They say it's mostly dropping frames innthe most packed races though and I'm only playing offline so I'm not sure how often that will happen for me, and the talk is about the beta. I still have hope that PD will deliver! (I'll watch the DF faceoffs closely though)

That test was also taken 2-3 patches before the beta ended. They were continually making improvements to the visuals and performance the entire time during the beta. Just find a video of what Dragon Trail looked like when it was first added compared to what it looks like now.

Putty

That test was also taken 2-3 patches before the beta ended. They were continually making improvements to the visuals and performance the entire time during the beta. Just find a video of what Dragon Trail looked like when it was first added compared to what it looks like now.

Yeah the DT background in particular looks MUCH improved! With still 2 months to go i'm super hopeful we'll see a tangible improvement across all visual aspects. On Pro at least things look rather rosy as it currently stands...

xrnzaaas

True but on the other hand they still haven't shown any rain effects and that can have have a major impact on the performance.

Then we aren't there yet :S also GTS HUD is too busy IMO can you turn stuff off?

Yeah, you can turn it off or pick a few elements to stay on. I'm actually hoping they allow us to turn the HUD off but keep the sector and lap sound effects that let you know if you've completed them with the fastest time. In the beta if you turned off the HUD it also turned off those sound cues.

dc89

yesss

1501859517-image.jpg

1501859525-image2.jpg

1501859524-image3.jpg

Wait what.
Is that photo mode?

thelastword

Banned
I imagine trying to increase rez won't be a priority what so ever. I'd rather they polish up where they are now, maybe free up some more resources to improve pop in or AA method...
Only after they lock framerate of course.. Guerilla Games said, they used a CB method that has less data per pixel to push 2160CB, so that's a possibility. In any case, whatever PD does I'm sure it will be cutting edge. It looks like they decided to push more data at 1800CB, but it's a 60fps racer with some of the best lighting since Driveclub...so that's already incredible...AA on the PRO at that rez is already pretty great too...especially in comparison to other console sims at 60fps.

I imagine, they have other features to put in still, of which we have not seen...wet weather, snow tracks etc...improvements to geometry, tracks and texture detail and other graphical flourishes. The final game should look quite spiffy when everything comes together I imagine....

campbellCase

Neo Member
Yeah, you can turn it off or pick a few elements to stay on. I'm actually hoping they allow us to turn the HUD off but keep the sector and lap sound effects that let you know if you've completed them with the fastest time. In the beta if you turned off the HUD it also turned off those sound cues.

I would like a HUD toggle button. It's nice racing with no HUD but sometimes I lose track of what position I am during a race. A HUD button would solve my problem.

Putty

I'm not asking about 500 cars, I'm asking about diversity.
Everything looks the same, just under different categories.

I imagine the DLC is already mapped out moving forward...cars, tracks, races, tourneys etc etc. You may be best waiting a few months.

Arklite

Frighteningly uncanny. Highlights why we need a bit more bumpiness from the car...

Agreed on needing bump effects, though the city scapes have always looked oddly static to me since GT5, especially in day time. Too pristine or something.

xrnzaaas

Servbot24

Banned
I'm not asking about 500 cars, I'm asking about diversity.
Everything looks the same, just under different categories.

Tbh I am asking for 500 cars. I want everything from buggies to concept cars. That's really what I love about past GT titles. I get that's not what this is, but I hope we can get there through DLC or something.

IKizzLE

One thing that's noticeable (aside from the same models used for different groups) is that there's not a lot of cars introduced in 2016 and 2017. Like for instance Aston Martin doesn't have the DB11, Ferrari doesn't have the 488, McLaren doesn't have the 720S and Lexus doesn't have the production version of the LC.

There are a lot cars just missing in general. Hell, there is only 2 different ferrari's, lambos, chevys and fords. Not to mention classic cars, several manufacturers, etc. I'm just pissed that so many slots are taken up by fake news.

There are a lot cars just missing in general. Hell, there is only 2 different ferrari's, lambos, chevys and fords. Not to mention classic cars, several manufacturers, etc. I'm just pissed that so many slots are taken up by fake news.
I feel like GTS has the lowest number of ferraris. Even Driveclub launched with more.

Unknown?

Tbh I am asking for 500 cars. I want everything from buggies to concept cars. That's really what I love about past GT titles. I get that's not what this is, but I hope we can get there through DLC or something.
GT3 was the same way and I never hear anyone talking about GT3 being bad. (Even though it was in terms of content)

farisr

GT3 was the same way and I never hear anyone talking about GT3 being bad. (Even though it was in terms of content)
The difference is, GT3 came out a couple of years after the last main entry, and within a few months of a brand new console launch on that new console. Not to mention they still included nearly everything you'd expect from a GT game content/progression wise. The car count was reduced compared to GT2 but was still higher than GT1, and the track count was the highest it had been in a GT game till that point. Also, the car selection felt balanced.

This time around not only have the car count and track count significantly reduced compared to the last 2 entries, it's been 4 years since the last entry came out, and the entire career/progression system you'd expect from a GT game is gone.

If you have a lot of cars, even if the selection is bad, it won't be a problem. If you have a good selection, even if you don't have so many cars, there will be no problem either. But, if you have few cars and the selection is bad, then we are in trouble.

Edit: Also, what farisr said.

pennanton

Neo Member
Car list is keeping me from buying this day 1 tbh. Too many VGTs, concepts and now older modern cars carried over from GT5 and 6.

GT3 gets a pass from me because virtually all of its content was brand new to both GT and racing games as a whole. Plenty of cars and track that hadn't been in a racing game until that point or never seen with that kind of fidelity.

Oh man. The integration is starting to get good.

The black levels are fantastic and areas around the wheels and under the car finally look like they sit in the environment. Getting the cg assets to sit so nicely in actual photographs can be tricky.

Nicely done PD, ur getting better ;)

Newfangled

Neo Member
It looks beautiful. I'm glad GT is still a visual showcase, but I wonder how many once-diehard GT players have, like me, been able to experience simulation racing games on other platforms since the most recent iteration of GT, and now feel jaded about the franchise's imminent return.

I wish GT offered a more realistic handling model, because the impression I get from what I've seen of Sport is that it's really an arcade racer masquerading as a thoroughbred driving game, much like previous instalments. I was fortunate enough to use a Logitech G29 wheel to compare 6 and Assetto Corsa side-by-side using the same car (an Audi R8) a few months ago, and to be brutally honest, putting graphics and general performance aside, 6's handling model felt dead, lifeless, and unresponsive compared to AC. It felt like you couldn't make a fatal error driving GT's R8 even if you wanted to. I understand the 'designed for controllers' argument, but the limitations of GT are readily apparent given a wheel to play it on. Yet to buy a PS4, and hope I read positive impressions of Sport post-release.

xrnzaaas

Yeah that's also true. What's worse is that GTS doesn't have to worry only about competing with Forza. For comparison Project CARS 2 will have (among other cars) 10 unique Ferraris, 17 Fords, 12 BMWs, 7 Aston Martins, 7 Lamborghinis, 7 McLarens and 11 Porsches.

magawolaz

The main problem is that every single car is modern with the exception of the Audi Quattro S1.
The Countach seems to be in, fwiw: https://www.motoring.com.au/gran-turismo-car-factory-108273/
As we watch an artist cleaning up the speedometer of a late 1970s Lamborghini Countach, the detail is mind-blowing. The company uses laser scanning of real cars (and race circuits) – including the virtual cockpits – to get everything right, then compares them side-by-side with photography to see if they measure up.
Hopefully there's more, enough to have a vintage category.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Man l wonder how much the DLC will be?
Split screen 2 players is very nice i'm glad to hear about that.
15% of the game is focused on online and 85% is offline focused - l hope that means I've missed lots of detail on the single player

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This was definitely posted now that I checked but Playstation Access' Gameplay Walkthrough showed much more of the campaign than the similar IGN video did.

And TBH, it has me a bit more optimistic about the amount of content in the game so I rescind some of my more scathing earlier impressions of the game's content. The Missions appear to get way more complex and have many that are themed in the same way that all good racing game campaign modes have, as I had been asking for. It's looking a lot more like a traditional SP campaign.

Might have pushed me over the edge into purchasing the game. I just hope there's more interesting cars left to reveal or scapes are going to be put to waste. Also odd they don't show downloading liveries despite online social features being up and running.

Also, new video by PlayStation Access: Brand Central
Do you even buy cars in this game? I know you earn credits, but they didn't show that despite it being the title of the video, just looking at colors in a showroom. And the video I linked above just mentions you win cars as rewards for a host of things in the game.

Mush

The Gran Turismo FB page posted a video a few hours ago with some of the GT Academy drivers hyping up the manufacturer/nation championships stuff and at 0:35 Jann name drops Holden and Ford. Now I'm taking this with a very microscopic grain of salt but maybe, just maybe we'll see something in the future as DLC. I'm sure I read something posted around E3 time in an interview with Kaz giving a classic vague answer regarding the inclusion of any Australian cars though.

KdotIX

The Gran Turismo FB page posted a video a few hours ago with some of the GT Academy drivers hyping up the manufacturer/nation championships stuff and at 0:35 Jann name drops Holden and Ford. Now I'm taking this with a very microscopic grain of salt but maybe, just maybe we'll see something in the future as DLC. I'm sure I read something posted around E3 time in an interview with Kaz giving a classic vague answer regarding the inclusion of any Australian cars though.

Big grain of salt indeed. I think Jann is more describing car culture and brand preference relative to each country - the example being Aussies love their big V8 Holdens and Fords.

Would be great to have those V8 supercars in though, or even the Utes! They already have Mount Panorama circuit so it would only make sense down the line.

Edit: The Nations and Manufacturer cups sound quite interesting though. I wonder how that will all pan out. I also kinda hope that they have more events and championships that go on throughout the life cycle.

Things are going to get ugly with 250+ cars, 10 - 15 tracks coming post launch, Jim Ryan already sent out the warning...

Will they be scummy enough to sell the cars separately?

Hopefully they do a Season Pass with so many cars and tracks in each DLC drop, and if the game has legs they should do a Season Pass every year, with new content each month, similar to the DriveClub Season Pass.

That will be much better than selling everything separately.

Top Bottom