• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport - Review Thread

MaDKaT

I think old GT and Horizon both scratch a very similar itch for a lot of people that GTS just doesn't. Something is bound to appear on the Sony platform to fill that hole. Some people just like cars, collecting, grinding upgrades, making liveries etc. Others just want to race/time trial. I don't think you can satisfy both particularly well in a single game. Horizon is good fun but as a racing game for the competitive player, it's pretty terrible.

I feel you are just dismissing what legacy fans wan't. Sure some wan't something like horizon and they are probably playing that. The rest want all the circuit racing of the old along with all the car crafting that went with it. No need to bump them off to the kids table. Or dismiss it as being any less competitive.

I'm just imagining a scaled down Japan with all sorts of mountain roads, metro areas, water, traffic, racing... I suppose it would take PD like 10 years to make something like that but it sounds glorious.

Sounds awful and not at all GT.

Hugstable

Banned
This. Most of the reviews have been glowing about what is there. Just getting heavily docked for content.

I honestly believe that if this game had a few more lower end cars, had a campaign with a decent amount of cups and events where you earn money to buy cars and new parts for cars it would be at a 8.5 to 9 or above meta. Don't really need more cars (just a few lower end for when you get started) and tracks, campaign alone would've be fine.

onanie

Sure, my bad for choice of words. I meant quality as a whole package, based on what the series is known for. The score is clearly reflecting the lack of content, and that's a shame not just for fans of the single player elements of GT but for the future of the series if it starts to impact the brand's reputation.

I think PD is more concerned about taking the genre to a new direction, at least on consoles, than to rehash the old formula. It’s obviously not your cup of tea (although you may not have tried it substantially), but the focus on recreating the racing atmosphere is an invigorating experience for me, and one that I hope will be realised by more people with time, not to mention more cars and tracks being planned down the track.

MaDKaT

I honestly believe that if this game had a few more lower end cars, had a campaign with a decent amount of cups and events where you earn money to buy cars and new parts for cars it would be at a 8.5 to 9 or above meta. Don't really need more cars (just a few lower end for when you get started) and tracks, campaign alone would've be fine.

Easily. If the game had the car diversity of GT3(can still be newer cars) and a similar streamlined campaign and mod structure along with all the current online structure, I bet this game would be scoring big. 9s and 10s across the board.

I think PD is more concerned about taking the genre to a new direction, at least on consoles, than to rehash the old formula. It’s obviously not your cup of tea (although you may not have tried it substantially), but the focus on recreating the racing atmosphere is an invigorating experience for me, and one that I hope will be realised by more people with time, not to mention more cars and tracks being planned down the track.

Yeah it's definitely not my cup of tea, but that's fine =) Hopefully they learn and hone whatever they want to from Sport, and it all leads to a better (eventual) GT7 one day with the single player GT mode I adore.

HF2014

The ironic thing is, if you got into the multiplayer and seasonal/weekly events, you would probably play WAY more of this game than you would any single player GT. In theory. I look at my playtime in something like Destiny or Overwatch and it annihilates my playtime in any single player game before them, shooter or otherwise.

I probably would, but getting into multiplayer competitions for a racing game is not my thing. I will buy it, one day. I still love to do time trials, beat my best time, compare to other times, but it doesnt seem to reward you with single player enough to build up your cars, forcing you to go the mutiplayer way. And it force me to play something i dont want. My multiplayer fix goes with online shooters. Racer? Tried it a bit with Forza, had a bit of fun, but didnt stay there.

As a driving game, its great, the control is amazing, love everything about it. But the lack of single player career turn me off after trying the beta. I will buy it, not just now at full price.

Yup, I'd have bought it for sure and the reviews would certainly have higher scores.

Noobcraft

Sounds awful and not at all GT.
Sounds exactly like what some GT fans want based off of my time in GT5 multiplayer. There were tons of lobbies where people just drove around, not racing, and showed off their cars, tunes, drag raced, role played, etc. Often on the top gear test track due to the open layout.

I think he’s really describing FH4
I'd love for GT to have a Horizon-like spin-off. Or just to have that in Horizon 4.

onanie

Yeah it's definitely not my cup of tea, but that's fine =) Hopefully they learn and hone whatever they want to from Sport, and it all leads to a better (eventual) GT7 one day with the single player GT mode I adore.
I don’t think it will happen. As others have contemplated, the gap might be filled by another developer. at least for this generation, gts is Kaz’s new passion. And one that has been quite enjoyable to me so far.

cakely

75 is bad for a GT game. Not sure why anyone would want to pretend otherwise. The series is renowned worldwide for quality.

The quality is honestly still there. The reviews are low because of a lack of content and probably the always-online requirement. As I said before, it's understandable.

The quality is honestly still there. The reviews are low because of a lack of content and probably the always-online requirement. As I said before, it's understandable.

Yup, but it's a shame that folks are dismissive of what's there (and not there) based on a misreading of a number.

MaDKaT

Sounds exactly like what some GT fans want based off of my time in GT5 multiplayer. There were tons of lobbies where people just drove around, not racing, and showed off their cars, tunes, drag raced, role played, etc. Often on the top gear test track due to the open layout.

I'd love for GT to have a Horizon-like spin-off. Or just to have that in Horizon 4.

Happens in a lot of online lobbies for lots of different things. I remember it being especially bad in the MotoGP lobbies(original Xbox) with the livery editor. I mean, sure the bike looks great but I just want to race.

Noobcraft

I think pretty much just FH4 for you.
No I'll play racing games on any console. I spent way more time with GT5 than I did with FM3, FM4, or FH1.

My favorite racer last gen was probably Burnout Paradise (Platinumed it), followed by GT5 (winning the Redbull X1 with a controller and making a Midget drift truck being some highlights), and the NFS Hot Pursuit remake (Platinumed).

MaDKaT

Have I got a game for you!

I know. GT is doing wonders for the online space and I am not and have not knocked it(the online mode). Im just not an online racer anymore and prefer offline. With the games available it is mostly time trials(VR) and when I get the itch I may throw my times in for a weekly challenge every now and then.

StereoVsn

Easily. If the game had the car diversity of GT3(can still be newer cars) and a similar streamlined campaign and mod structure along with all the current online structure, I bet this game would be scoring big. 9s and 10s across the board.
Unfortunately that is not what was provided. Hence the low scores and complaints. Hell, user score is super low on Metacritic.

New GT is just not as appealing to both reviewers and old fans. I wonder how sales will do. It's conceivable that new customers could be picked up if the game streams well.

Edit: I wonder if GTS turns out similar to SFV in sales where enthusiasts will love it and gush that it's greatest thing ever but sales will stagnate and we will have a new repackaged edition with "Arcade" mode in a year or two.

Loudninja

Unfortunately that is not what was provided. Hence the low scores and complaints. Hell, user score is super low on Metacritic.

New GT is just not as appealing to both reviewers and old fans. I wonder how sales will do. It's conceivable that new customers could be picked up if the game streams well.
These are not low scores,and using user reviews on metacritic is not a wise idea.

That is of course a personal opinion. The driveclub model was something to get used to.
Some people really hated it, I liked it but it could be better.
It was action packed driving with an extreme short brake distance. Switching from DC to something more serious was hard sometimes. With the weatherpatch it became something special.

I hear a lot of praise about the driving of GT idd. I found it a little lifeless on controller but in the situation that GT sport had a normal amount of content I would definitely buy it and get used to it.

I could play DC from day 1, it was pretty easy to pick up and play but they made tweaks to it to make it better, like letting us turn assists off and adjusting the penalties for touching the gravel / grass because it was far too strict at launch, not letting you even slightly cut a corner before they patched it.

GT Sport is a different beast of course, as it's much more of a sim than DC and is a lot more realistic to drive. I'm absolutely loving the feel of the cars, they feel great on the controller and even better on the G29 Wheel.

onanie

I probably would, but getting into multiplayer competitions for a racing game is not my thing. I will buy it, one day. I still love to do time trials, beat my best time, compare to other times, but it doesnt seem to reward you with single player enough to build up your cars, forcing you to go the mutiplayer way. And it force me to play something i dont want. My multiplayer fix goes with online shooters. Racer? Tried it a bit with Forza, had a bit of fun, but didnt stay there.

As a driving game, its great, the control is amazing, love everything about it. But the lack of single player career turn me off after trying the beta. I will buy it, not just now at full price.

You should at least rent the game to try the multiplayer. If you prefer casual, the non-Sport player created lobbies will do. There are lobbies with just free run, and those with short races with no consequence on your SR/DR. I have never raced online previously, but I have found it infinitely more meaningful to race against live players than AIs, even if I don’t win all the time. Shockingly, people still behave better in general, having been made aware of racing etiquette.

But I often do win because of consistency alone :)

StereoVsn

These are not low scores,and using user reviews on metacritic is not a wise idea.
70s are not low for what is supposed to be the premier racing game? Yeah, it's low. It's not a bad game, it's not a broken game, it probably is even a great game for MP, but clearly it hasn't resonated with reviewers. Forza 7 with all its lootboxes is at 86.

ghibli99

70s are not low for what is supposed to be the premier racing game? Yeah, it's low. It's not a bad game, it's not a broken game, it probably is even a great game for MP, but clearly it hasn't resonated with reviewers. Forza 7 with all its lootboxes is at 86.
Yeah, I think that says quite a bit (the reaction to Forza 7 vs. GTS). I'm actually enjoying the experience of GTS more, but last night when the servers went down, I wasn't able to really do anything in the game due to the online-required DRM/save system. So I just stopped and played a little Forza instead. They need to fix or improve it so that single-player content isn't tied to online. Sport and Lobby? Sure, of course that makes sense, but I had to laugh that I couldn't use Scapes to take pictures of my cars when servers were offline.

I know. GT is doing wonders for the online space and I am not and have not knocked it(the online mode). Im just not an online racer anymore and prefer offline. With the games available it is mostly time trials(VR) and when I get the itch I may throw my times in for a weekly challenge every now and then.

But there's no time trial in VR. I seriously wish there was.

StereoVsn

Yeah, I think that says quite a bit (the reaction to Forza 7 vs. GTS). I'm actually enjoying the experience of GTS more, but last night when the servers went down, I wasn't able to really do anything in the game due to the online-required DRM/save system. So I just stopped and played a little Forza instead. They need to fix or improve it so that single-player content isn't tied to online. Sport and Lobby? Sure, of course that makes sense, but I had to laugh that I couldn't use Scapes to take pictures of my cars when servers were offline.
Yeap, but it's more then allowing to save offline. SP content is lackluster unlike Forza. Even if they introduce offline only/non-ranked accounts (to prevent cheating) it still may not be enough unless more content is put in.

Again, sales will tell but I expect them to be kind of meh unless the game just catches on for its racing league.

Edit:
The big difference between the two isn't graphics, online focus, or loot boxes.

It's content.
Yes and that's what Sony bet that online focus with esports and officially sanctioned racing mode will cover vs "traditional" content. I don't think the bet paid offf but we shall see in sales by the end of the year.

onanie

It is a new direction for a premier racing game. If Kaz was only concerned about scoring with the crowd, it would have been easy to just iterate on the old formula.

Personally, I am glad to have tried it and continue to enjoy the new focus.

StereoVsn

It is a new direction for a premier racing game. If Kaz was only concerned about scoring with the crowd, it would have been easy to just iterate on the old formula.

Personally, I am glad to have tried it and continue to enjoy the new focus.
It doesn't matter what he tried or what you enjoy since We were talking about game's reception and compared to other GT games or Forza, scores are low. I suspect that sales are going to be lower then expected too.

A new direction is certainly interesting but it's a huge bet especially considering that a lot of content that would have been expected is not there. Again, this is similar situation as with SFV and I think sales may follow that as well.

onanie

It's content.

I think the big difference is also the online focus, with key being the emphasis on racing etiquette. As others have often described, it is superior with better behaved drivers

Edit:
Yes and that's what Sony bet that online focus with esports and officially sanctioned racing mode will cover vs "traditional" content. I don't think the bet paid offf but we shall see in sales by the end of the year.

But that same content is needed for online focus. It's not like racing online doesn't need tracks and a variety of cars.

The online focus argument doesn't wash against the lack of cars/tracks. It maybe an excuse for a lack of single player campaign, but that's all.

leeh

I think the big difference is also the online focus, with key being the emphasis on racing etiquette. As others have often described, it is superior with better behaved drivers
Genuine question, what does GT have for online functionality that Forza doesn't?

Forza pretty much has everything I'd want it to have, other than cups.

Q--_-

Picked this up last night, and I am not much of racing-sim player, but damn. This game is smooth in its driving, its addicting just because of that one aspect for me.

onanie

It doesn't matter what he tried or what you enjoy since We were talking about game's reception and compared to other GT games or Forza, scores are low. I suspect that sales are going to be lower then expected too.

A new direction is certainly interesting but it's a huge bet especially considering that a lot of content that would have been expected is not there. Again, this is similar situation as with SFV and I think sales may follow that as well.

I don’t think the scores matter as much as some of the reviews are fixated on the old formula. Players that actually tried it for themselves are hooked on the gameplay. I think an online focused game like destiny that was initially criticised for its lack of content still sold extremely well despite low reviews for a AAA game.

It's content.

People that haven't played Forza 7, should play it. People that haven't play GTS, should play it.

I agree that content has given the edge to Forza as an overall package IMO, along with other things.

But online focus is a big difference.

onanie

Genuine question, what does GT have for online functionality that Forza doesn't?

Forza pretty much has everything I'd want it to have, other than cups.
As is widely known, an enforceable racing etiquette. That couldn’t have been a genuine question.

onanie

But that same content is needed for online focus. It's not like racing online doesn't need tracks and a variety of cars.

The online focus argument doesn't wash against the lack of cars/tracks. It maybe an excuse for a lack of single player campaign, but that's all.

I have spent hours in the lobbies with a myriad of configurations. Each race has felt different not only because of each specific configuration, or track, but also because of the different players you compete against online. I personally don’t find the content lacking in view of the quality it offers, particularly in the company that it attracts.

Top Bottom