• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport - Review Thread

Synth

That's your opinion. I probably touched less than 10% of the cars in GT6 so to me it might very well be a waste.

I'm personally kinda bummed at the focus on high-end racing instead of regular cars and I would have loved more diversity instead of just a higher total number. But neither approach will appease everyone.

A higher total typical leads to diversity though. If you have variety with a low car count, then cars of each type would be spread thin. The idea isn't for you to touch a high percentage of the cars. The idea is that the 10% you want to touch exists along with the different 10% someone else wants to touch.

You really think that stripping down the game, taking out an entire mode, having fewer cars and tracks than ever while keeping the same pricepoint is a natural evolution?

You think PD should be applauded for this skeleton of a GT game?

AT 60$!?

After playing for a while. Yes. Easily I say yes.

The level of quality is beyond any racing game out there. The amount of content takes a hit to reach that level of fidelity and quality. Which means is a fair trade.

I'm pretty sure the content here isn't the problem. The hit compared to older titles isn't a deal break taking consistency as feedback from previous titles. It's how they are accessible the issue. And maybe where Polyphony should invest.

The number of tracks is good (or at least fair compared to other racing titles). The number of cars is also fair considering each one drives distinctly. The number of original cars is a problem. Just like every Gran Turismo there's no need of 5 to 6 Skyline GT-Rs (although the lack of them in this version is funny, we now have more Mustangs than GT-R).

So.... if cars and tracks are fair, where's the problem? Accessing a few of them every day without having a choice.

The Sport mode should be bigger. It should be a section where people could enter on Championships, Weekly Races, Daily Races, Daily Challenges, Time Trials, Rival Clubs and so much more.

The lack of choice is the problem. People are not seeing the entire package. Just 3 races for each day. And maybe 10-15 cars from the same type.

That's only good for easy matchmaking.

They should.

Or we will never have a proper GT game in the HD era.

I said this before and I stand by it today. The fact that there was no cooperation between Polyphony and evolution is just crazy to me. The benefits of the Turn 10 and Playground union has benefited the franchise greatly.

Tomeru

Can you blame them? It has been such a very long time since the last game and GT has millions of fans.

Anyone who doesn't do reserch before buying something is largly to blame. It's not like GTS came out of nowhere. Don't be so quick to ignore your responsibility because "everyone knows the name".

GlamFM

Banned
That's your opinion. I probably touched less than 10% of the cars in GT6 so to me it might very well be a waste.

No one has touched more than 10%.

The idea was always that you were able to drive "your car".

Or the one your dad had when you were a kid.

The car you wanted to drive - it was there. Or at least one that came very close to it.

Buying a 1980s GOLF GTi and turning it into a deadly 500HP bullet - that´s GT.

Not driving on the moon or looking at watches from Tag Heuer.

MaDKaT

Anyone who doesn't do reserch before buying something is largly to blame. It's not like GTS came out of nowhere. Don't be so quick to ignore your responsibility because "everyone knows the name".

You hang onto that if it makes you feel better. I agree with a little research but even still the GT name built certain expectations and some folks feel it is a series they can just buy sight unseen.

Egida

Neo Member
I'm pretty sure the content here isn't the problem. The hit compared to older titles isn't a deal break taking consistency as feedback from previous titles. It's how they are accessible the issue. And maybe where Polyphony should invest.

The number of tracks is good (or at least fair compared to other racing titles). The number of cars is also fair considering each one drives distinctly. The number of original cars is a problem. Just like every Grab Turismo there's no need of 5 to 6 Skyline GT-Rs (although the lack of them in this version is funny, we now have more Mustangs than GT-R).

So.... if cars and tracks are fair, where's the problem? Accessing a few of them every day without having a choice.
Maybe you are okay with that, and that's fair, but not all people think the same, and reviews reflect that.

Duxxy3

Maybe on par with GT Prologue, hehe

I'm not sure how well it will sell.

It's the first, and probably only, GT game for PS4. It's a GT game, so that usually means great sales, but GT6 didn't sell all that great. And this has far less content than 6, and a worse metacritic.

Day one sales will be fine. But after that... after people see the reviews... I'm not sure. Bad metacritic scores have sunk games before.

I know this level of speculation is not really cool, but... theoretically ...if too few of the players stick with GTS's online and DLC sales paint the same picture, what do you think PD and Sony will do?

- Will they see their GTS plan through but focus hard behind the scenes to make a GT7 that the majority of players and reviewers expects from the Gran Turismo brand?
- Or will they make a bigger offline campaign released as a mix of free and paid DLC for GTS with the cars and tracks they had planned anyway?

---
Btw. Amazon.de reviews are even harsher than in the UK. Only 2.2 stars on average and all reviews on the first page are 1/5 stars (except the one at the bottom with 2 stars).

Loudninja

It's the first, and probably only, GT game for PS4. It's a GT game, so that usually means great sales, but GT6 didn't sell all that great. And this has far less content than 6, and a worse metacritic.

Day one sales will be fine. But after that... after people see the reviews... I'm not sure. Bad metacritic scores have sunk games before.
Um the reviews are fine what are some of you looking at here?

MaDKaT

GT6 came out as people were transitioning to the PS4. More than a few folks held off on 6 thinking maybe it would end up being cross gen. But sales will likely be fine for this one. As you mentioned, it is the first GT(likely the only) on the PS4 so no doubt sales will be front loaded. Reviews will only dissuade a few and will largely be meaningless. Word of mouth will likely have more impact. What will be really telling is Weekly/Monthly player count over time.

I know this level of speculation is not really cool, but... theoretically ...if too few of the players stick with GTS's online and DLC sales paint the same picture, what do you think PD and Sony will do?

- Will they see their GTS plan through but focus hard behind the scenes to make a GT7 that the majority of players and reviewers expects from the Gran Turismo brand?
- Or will they make a bigger offline campaign released as a mix of free and paid DLC for GTS with the cars and tracks they had planned anyway?

IF in the (unlikely) event GTS does not do or keep the numbers PD/Sony forecast I would be willing to bet we see a rerelease of sorts (update for owners) that repackages the game with new content into a GT7 type game.

Em3112

Neo Member
After playing for a while. Yes. Easily I say yes.

The level of quality is beyond any racing game out there. The amount of content takes a hit to reach that level of fidelity and quality. Which means is a fair trade.

The number of tracks is good (or at least fair compared to other racing titles). The number of cars is also fair considering each one drives distinctly. The number of original cars is a problem. Just like every Gran Turismo there's no need of 5 to 6 Skyline GT-Rs (although the lack of them in this version is funny, we now have more Mustangs than GT-R).

The Sport mode should be bigger. It should be a section where people could enter on Championships, Weekly Races, Daily Races, Daily Challenges, Time Trials, Rival Clubs and so much more.

The lack of choice is the problem. People are not seeing the entire package. Just 3 races for each day. And maybe 10-15 cars from the same type.

That's only good for easy matchmaking.

17 tracks good?
Forza does 33 locations and PC2 does about 60.

The 17 tracks of GT sport:

3 boring Ovals/speedways
3 rally stages
6 Real life tracks
A couple of fantasy tracks.

I think that is pretty bad after 4 years of development.

gattsu

This is hilarious- listening to the bombcast this week and every complaint Jeff or Peter Brown had, I'm nodding my head, saying "yes.... give it to me...." under my breath.

THIS totally seems like the type of gran turismo/forza game I was looking for. I'm sick of single player campaigns. I love persistent, multiplayer season games, and the fact that they enforce driving rules sounds INCREDIBLE.

My brother has been into iRacing for years and I never had a desire to pay monthly for it, and I like console gaming more anyway. Think I might need to pick this game up very soon!

Everyone wants change, No one likes change. Story of GT.

I never understood this logic of not being open to criticism. No level headed person is hating on Kaz or taking personal jabs at anyone, the criticism when it´s valid it´s directed to a product.

People wanted change for the better, not for worse. Having a mediocre career mode doesn´t mean you wanted scratched, you want improvement.

People didn´t ask to cut cars, they asked for all cars to be well selected and done in proper quality, you know, like any other racing game in the market right now.

People asked for change because they wanted more out of GT, not less.

The point i´m trying to make here is that Sport isn´t a focus, it´s a branding for what they had

If they had 1000 cars and 100 tracks it would be a regular GT entry, with or without FIA branding.

Since they had very little content ready for PS4 they formatted the message as "an online focused game" trying to hide what reviewers are seeing,,,,the biggest problem with this game is content. It´s a hungover effect from the stupid decision of wasting three years of development time on GT6. They started way too late on PS4, which is why this is the latest in a PS console life cycle to receive a GT game, four full years after release.

The game is solid, 7.5 is a very reasonable score, the only problem is that people expect a lot from it because it´s fucking Gran Turismo.

They are gonna keep adding content, but at their own pace, which we all know it´s very slow.

HF2014

17 tracks good?

3 boring Ovals/speedways
3 rally stages
6 Real life tracks

Its what i think too. And im thinking tons of tracks, cars will be release as DLCs..

No, will wait for a price drop for this one. 20-30$ will be my sweet spot. Not paying full price for a game that miss a real career mode and got half of the content it use to have.

gattsu

Its what i think too. And im thinking tons of tracks, cars will be release as DLCs..

No, will wait for a price drop for this one. 20-30$ will be my sweet spot. Not paying full price for a game that miss a real career mode and got half of the content it use to have.
The ironic thing is, if you got into the multiplayer and seasonal/weekly events, you would probably play WAY more of this game than you would any single player GT. In theory. I look at my playtime in something like Destiny or Overwatch and it annihilates my playtime in any single player game before them, shooter or otherwise.

Understandable reviews for people who like nostalgia. I don't dislike nostalgia, but the state the genre is in today is pretty stale imho. No amount of dmg or effects or rain or time of day will make carpg gt better for me. I think gts is a great fucking direction to take, and I know that PD will continue to perfect it. This is a future I'm a-ok with. I don't need or want another carpg with better graphics. And going by tge numbers of people playing online, I'm glad I'm not alone!

Peace be to you.

This is pretty much where I'm coming from. Got bored of GT after 4 switched to Forza as I really liked the grip model, that could only last for so long and also got boring after 4. Even though I had played 5 and 6 of both and they both improved many features the problem is that even though the had decent handling models the gameplay was stale and the cause of this was the AI, it's the problem in all racing games it has to be coded and restricted by processor power. But when combined with the same structure each iteration it becomes tedious, especially when that is the only way to progress. Forza used drivitar but that just brought in the worst elements from multiplayer which I hate with a passion and avoid at all costs.

Project Cars and Asseto Corsa had great aspects but again restricted by AI and didn't last long for me. Dirt Rally is one of my favourite racers but that was because of how good the VR is and uses a timing structure of rally. Drivclub got its hooks in but that was primarily because of the competitive aspect of competing against other people without the dickheadery that come with directly racing. I have enjoyed the little of what I have played of iRacing but I'm not prepared to invest the time or the cash that game requires.

I was only getting GT:S to see how they did the VR mode (it has a good foundation but is too barebones, the tracks are fantastic though) and have no nostalgia for the series or allegiance to any franchise and was hooked by how good the racing in sport mode was. It legitimately feels like a step forward in gameplay, it is the closest I have got to a track day on a console and if people enjoy racing and not giving GT:S a look then they are missing out on some of the best gameplay since the genre was invented. People may prefer the handling model of AC or Forza (I do) but those races are just so damn good, the first few can be a bit rough but once settled damn they are amazing.

I can see where many of the bigger game site reviews are coming from especially as their audience is likely the "I want to feel like a champion" rather than having an amazing race and coming 12th. Unless you are the best GT:S doesn't feed into the fantasy of being top dog like the other games do and the single player content isn't set up for this either.

The car you wanted to drive - it was there. Or at least one that came very close to it.

100% this.

Duxxy3

I loved driving around in my ridiculously hopped up honda del sol. Tiny little car that can barely get out of its own way in real life, but you could make it a beast in GT2. I loved doing that.

Yes, but people deciding that Gran Turismo Sport is a disaster/was a mistake based on those reviews is short sighted, as I've just explained. If we still lived in the era of, say, Gran Turismo 4, where the game was the game and never could change, then perhaps it would be a reasonable conclusion.

It´s not a disaster, but it´s an OK solid game four years too late. Since they had to start from scratch, f they started on this in 2011 right after GT5 and released in early 2014 it would be much better received.

GT came out three years after the PS
GT3 came out one year after the PS2
GT5 Prologue came out one year after the PS3, and they gave a GT HD demo one month after the launch of the PS3
GTS is coming out FOUR years after the PS4 and it´s the most feature thin game in the series.

Reviewers have to take this into consideration, otherwise they are not doing their jobs.

GT6 came out as people were transitioning to the PS4. More than a few folks held off on 6 thinking maybe it would end up being cross gen. But sales will likely be fine for this one. As you mentioned, it is the first GT(likely the only) on the PS4 so no doubt sales will be front loaded. Reviews will only dissuade a few and will largely be meaningless. Word of mouth will likely have more impact. What will be really telling is Weekly/Monthly player count over time.

IF in the (unlikely) event GTS does not do or keep the numbers PD/Sony forecast I would be willing to bet we see a rerelease of sorts (update for owners) that repackages the game with new content into a GT7 type game.

It´s not going to do monster numbers, i don´t know why people are still in denial about this. Same story as it was with GT6, myself and others called bad numbers, people told us we were hating for free and then in the end the game end up selling half of what the series used to do, it barely surpassed GT5 Prologue.

rashbeep

Banned

well said

Tomeru

You hang onto that if it makes you feel better. I agree with a little research but even still the GT name built certain expectations and some folks feel it is a series they can just buy sight unseen.

While true, that hardly excuse buyers' responsibility. I'm not saying don't be disappointed, I'm saying if you buy sonething blind, you can't blame only the product.

MaDKaT

It´s not a disaster, but it´s an OK solid game four years too late. Since they had to start from scratch, f they started on this in 2011 right after GT5 and released in early 2014 it would be much better received.

GT came out three years after the PS
GT3 came out one year after the PS2
GT5 Prologue came out one year after the PS3, and they gave a GT HD demo one month after the launch of the PS3
GTS is coming out FOUR years after the PS4 and it´s the most feature thin game in the series.

Reviewers have to take this into consideration, otherwise they are not doing their jobs.

It´s not going to do monster numbers, i don´t know why people are still in denial about this. Same story as it was with GT6, myself and others called bad numbers, people told us we were hating for free and then in the end the game end up selling half of what the series used to do, it barely surpassed GT5 Prologue.

Im not sure who is in denial about it doing monster numbers. Im not sure anyone thinks that? I personally see it coming in under GT6, but still sell multi millions.

Unknown?

I said this before and I stand by it today. The fact that there was no cooperation between Polyphony and evolution is just crazy to me. The benefits of the Turn 10 and Playground union has benefited the franchise greatly.
And I’ll say it again, you think GT Sport has gotten a lot of flak? Driveclub had LESS content at launch. The shitstorm that would have ensued if DC was called GT would be monumental! GT has the biggest number of trolls and haters.

c0de

Im not sure who is in denial about it doing monster numbers. Im not sure anyone thinks that? I personally see it coming in under GT6, but still sell multi millions.

It will be more interesting how many units the next GT will sell.

Not really.

More like if Destiny 2 did not have a campaign, but only crucible.

Of course you´d only had 2 classes to choose from and only 4 maps.

And of course you could not play when you wanted, but had to wait for the next scheduled match.

If Destiny 2 was a couple strikes that you run over and over to get ready to run the raid at a preset time.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Agreed with all this. But that's simply not what GT Sport is, was going to be or was ever pitched as.
It's a niche game for a niche audience that wants to focus entirely on hardcore online racing with rulesets borrowed from hardcore PC sims like iRacing. It's a niche not served anywhere else on consoles.

It's not for me, seeing as I prefer the mainline and less hardcore iterations of GT, so I probably won't buy it. But that does not mean that, for it's audience, it's not a good racing game.

onanie

This is pretty much where I'm coming from. Got bored of GT after 4 switched to Forza as I really liked the grip model, that could only last for so long and also got boring after 4. Even though I had played 5 and 6 of both and they both improved many features the problem is that even though the had decent handling models the gameplay was stale and the cause of this was the AI, it's the problem in all racing games it has to be coded and restricted by processor power. But when combined with the same structure each iteration it becomes tedious, especially when that is the only way to progress. Forza used drivitar but that just brought in the worst elements from multiplayer which I hate with a passion and avoid at all costs.

Project Cars and Asseto Corsa had great aspects but again restricted by AI and didn't last long for me. Dirt Rally is one of my favourite racers but that was because of how good the VR is and uses a timing structure of rally. Drivclub got its hooks in but that was primarily because of the competitive aspect of competing against other people without the dickheadery that come with directly racing. I have enjoyed the little of what I have played of iRacing but I'm not prepared to invest the time or the cash that game requires.

I was only getting GT:S to see how they did the VR mode (it has a good foundation but is too barebones, the tracks are fantastic though) and have no nostalgia for the series or allegiance to any franchise and was hooked by how good the racing in sport mode was. It legitimately feels like a step forward in gameplay, it is the closest I have got to a track day on a console and if people enjoy racing and not giving GT:S a look then they are missing out on some of the best gameplay since the genre was invented. People may prefer the handling model of AC or Forza (I do) but those races are just so damn good, the first few can be a bit rough but once settled damn they are amazing.

I can see where many of the bigger game site reviews are coming from especially as their audience is likely the "I want to feel like a champion" rather than having an amazing race and coming 12th. Unless you are the best GT:S doesn't feed into the fantasy of being top dog like the other games do and the single player content isn't set up for this either.

This is an intelligent post.

Griss

This perfectly encapsulates what the appeal of GT always was for me. I'd instantly go looking for a car that I had, or that a friend or family member had. I'd take it out on the track to get a feel for what it was like and how similar it was to what I knew in real life.

And then I'd make a beast out of it.

Seeing that that wasn't a part of the new GT was certainly a part of why I didn't buy it. The other was the lack of tracks and the focus on GT3 (which I like alright) and concept cars (which i don't).

They nailed the visuals and online. But that's not enough for me. I really do feel, though, that in a year or maybe two this game will be amazing. That's assuming it will have another 80 'normal' cars and another 10+ locations to drive.

Fuck it, I really wanted to like GT Sport but the lack of a career mode killed any interest once I realised how bare bones it is. It looks incredible but that's not good enough.

I'm downloading Forza 7 as I type because I'm desperate for a racing game.

Wiped89

Expected. In the predictions thread I said we would see TONS of second hand copies flood the market, which would create a massive drop off in sales after the first week. I was not wrong, looking at this. Several reviews even say "everything that was good about Gran Turismo is gone". I mean, ouch.

I love GT so it makes me sad to see it happen.

@DeafSpacker - Forza 7 is really good, you'll love
it.

Agreed with all this. But that's simply not what GT Sport is, was going to be or was ever pitched as.
It's a niche game for a niche audience that wants to focus entirely on hardcore online racing with rulesets borrowed from hardcore PC sims like iRacing. It's a niche not served anywhere else on consoles.

It's not for me, seeing as I prefer the mainline and less hardcore iterations of GT, so I probably won't buy it. But that does not mean that, for it's audience, it's not a good racing game.

I just saw a new TV spot I haven't seen before whilst watching Sky Sports and its full of kids aged between fifteen and twenty by the looks of it. I'm not sure how aware they are of hardcore online racing with rulesets borrowed from hardcore PC sims?

c0de

Expected. In the predictions thread I said we would see TONS of second hand copies flood the market, which would create a massive drop off in sales after the first week. I was not wrong, looking at this. Several reviews even say "everything that was good about Gran Turismo is gone". I mean, ouch.

I love GT so it makes me sad to see it happen.

The good thing is - the game will soon be very cheap and they will try to fix the game with (hopefully free) content updates ;)

And I’ll say it again, you think GT Sport has gotten a lot of flak? Driveclub had LESS content at launch. The shitstorm that would have ensued if DC was called GT would be monumental! GT has the biggest number of trolls and haters.

You didnt have to call it GT but maybe it would have worked at launch because they would have been sharing resources.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Fuck it, I really wanted to like GT Sport but the lack of a career mode killed any interest once I realised how bare bones it is. It looks incredible but that's not good enough.

I'm downloading Forza 7 as I type because I'm desperate for a racing game.
Shit i might do the same i am THIS close of clicking buy.
Gt sport just isnt the game i wanted it to be.

cakely

After reading some comments... Some of you really think this game is better than old style GT games??? In term of game structure...

Yes, clearly, some people prefer this style. Opinions? How do they work?

I wish we could have the sport races, the racing etiquette, and the VR mode from GTS, and still keep the car count and more of the campaign options from the previous GT games.

We didn't get that, and the reviews are now slightly lower than I thought they would be. I was predicting low 80's high 70's.

Loudninja

Yes, clearly, some people prefer this style. Opinions? How do they work?

I wish we could have the sport races, the racing etiquette, and the VR mode from GTS, and still keep the car count and more of the campaign options from the previous GT games.

We didn't get that, and the reviews are now slightly lower than I thought they would be. I was predicting low 80's high 70's.
That is what we are getting?

Hoo-doo

Banned
I just saw a new TV spot I haven't seen before whilst watching Sky Sports and its full of kids aged between fifteen and twenty by the looks of it. I'm not sure how aware they are of hardcore online racing with rulesets borrowed from hardcore PC sims?

What is your point exactly?

The game is the game, that doesn't mean people of all ages can't enjoy a sim racer or that racing fans are all crusty old men with cockpit setups. I have friends that have been playing sim racers on PC from those ages, similar to how I know 60+ year olds that have entire PC racing game setups.

MaDKaT

Shit i might do the same i am THIS close of clicking buy.
Gt sport just isnt the game i wanted it to be.

Word of warning, at least from my experience with the new Forza. While it does have a campaign, it pales to past GT games and even past Forza games. While the car building is there, with the way the championships are structured, cars are pretty disposable and tuning is pretty meaningless due to the homologation.

17 tracks good?

3 boring Ovals/speedways
3 rally stages
6 Real life tracks

Yikes, I didn't realise it was that bad. I heard the 17 tracks figure a while back, but I suppose I was hoping there'd end up being more in the final product. 11 proper-ass racing tracks in a game like this is just... well, not enough. I know from experience that I would get bored so quickly. That's pretty much a hard pass from me, hearing that; maybe I'll be in for the Spec 2.0 version if they do one.

Top Bottom