• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport - Review Thread

MaDKaT

:O
How is Amazon rating system? Everyone can rate and review or you should buy that thing to rate it?

I believe they added a verified purchaser tag but like with all user reviews, try to ignore all the ridiculously low and the high and just read what's in the middle.

So they made Gran Turismo Driveclub . How long till polyphony gets shut down?

Never. Too early to tell if this has been a successful venture or not. Will probably be months before we know.

Switch version? :p

No, people claim the results are pre-programmed and some passes just miss in one game and work in another when the computer wants you to win again.

But why has amazon.com only 89 customer reviews and germany and japan both ~290. both together only have a population of only 2/3 of the USA and even less people under 50years who play playstation games.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
holy shit as we speak i am booting up my ps2 starting gran turismo 4 wondering wtf has happened to modern racing games.

Audioboxer

So they made Gran Turismo Driveclub . How long till polyphony gets shut down?

Not quite. Driveclub actually had a decent amount of SP content, but it's online network was toast and that affected SP due to being always-online.

GT Sport has shitty content for SP, but a pretty solid online network.

Both situations piss off gamers, but as I said on the last page we're seeing the revolt from the buyers who aren't NeoGAF/Reddit/GTPlanet regulars.

The kinds of people who contributed millions of sales towards this

RbYo7T9.png

Because no, that isn't 76.49m hardcore sim fans (illustrative point, I know many people are buying multiple copies above and it's not 76m unique buyers). You'll probably be lucky if even 15~20% of that is your enthusiasts.

PD have completely overshot the mark thinking the bulk of GT fans were going to go crazy for e-sports AT the expense of SP/car and track counts being nuked. The only way to have won here was to manage both in 4 years.

I am confused by all the people trying to make excuses that GT Sport is now different and online focused.

There is f*ck-all to do online!!! Three races, for an entire week. I mean, really? And custom lobbies are useless with no matchmaking, nobody joining to get enough people, or you get randomly booted out.

muteki

Some of it is review trolling I'm sure, but I don't know how so many people can spend 60$ on something without doing the bare minimum of research.

Because no, that isn't 76.49 hardcore sim fans. You'll probably be lucky if even 15~20% of that is your enthusiasts.

Dude, I'm with you, but common, that's not 76 million separate people, that's probably not even 20 million separate people.

Some of it is review trolling I'm sure, but I don't know how so many people can spend 60$ on something without doing the bare minimum of research.
Some of it is probably that Gran Turismo falls into the CoD, FIFA, GTA - bought sight unseen every entry, always. Lot's of people just buy Fifa every year and nothing else... maybe Gran Turismo and GTA when those are out and that's it. They don't read up on what they'll get.

MaDKaT

No, people claim the results are pre-programmed and some passes just miss in one game and work in another when the computer wants you to win again.

But why has amazon.com only 89 customer reviews and germany and japan both ~290. both together only have a population of only 2/3 of the USA and even less people under 50years who play playstation games.

That does seem odd.

HoldSteady

Neo Member
Bought this on a whim (digitally even) thinking I could look past the issues. Quoting GOB from Arrested Development, “I’ve made a huge mistake”. I too became bored quickly. Not sure what I was thinking. I’ve loved all the previous installments. Just flat out disappointed.

Audioboxer

Because GT is such a big brand many people buy it for the name they know. A new GT game? Let's buy it. There was some mixed messaging out there on big sites from Kaz saying GT Sport basically is GT7.

Dude, I'm with you, but common, that's 76 million separate people, that's probably not even 20 million separate people.

From my edit above, it's not necessarily 76 million separate people. How many of us own GT1 through Sport? Or at least own GT1/2/3/4/5? Maybe 6. Or at least a mixture of a few of them.

I was just trying to illustrate that the casual (hate using that word) market that associates racing game with the GT brand will make up a big % of those sales. Many of them would simply have been expecting something like GT5, or 6, or if they skipped the PS3 and last played GT3/4, something like it, still.

That does seem odd.

Europe will be where the bulk of GT sales are.

Most people reviewed the limited edition version since that version was pretty much the same price as the regular edition leading up to release

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FWLGWHQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

farisr

That does seem odd.
Honestly, just an anecdote here, I'm having trouble selling my brand new, sealed copy for $20 CAD below retail. It's been listed since launch day. Zero takers (except for one idiotic lowballer). There are a ton of local listings that have also been up for the same amount of time.

I've had zero issues selling games from a lot less popular franchises, usually end up selling them on release day within a couple of hours of listing it, and this is a playstation centric area. This is a weird anomaly, but again purely anecdotal that may not be reflective of what actual sales are like. My friends didn't even realize the game was out until I told them I was having trouble selling. So possibly a marketing mess up in this area as well.

Likely with a heavy dose of the franchise is strong with a dedicated base and the fans will (hopefully) move with us. Time will tell if that worked.

Possibly but most companies know that a certain consumer base will feel isolated when change is made. It is usually goodwill over a long term that changes those opinions if it does at all.

Seen it many times with work. A loyal customer base feels left behind as it is different than what they are use to but the change was made so the company can survive as the original base weren't sustainable. The new focus is based on the larger picture with intention to grow from a sector within that has the bigger potential. I have seen it be successful but also seen it fail many times as well. Its actually quite a standard business practice but not one we see much in gaming due to the tendency to service a fan base.

MaDKaT

Possibly but most companies know that a certain consumer base will feel isolated when change is made. It is usually goodwill over a long term that changes those opinions if it does at all.

Seen it many times with work. A loyal customer base feels left behind as it is different than what they are use to but the change was made so the company can survive as the original base weren't sustainable. The new focus is based on the larger picture with intention to grow from a sector within that has the bigger potential. I have seen it be successful but also seen it fail many times as well. Its actually quite a standard business practice but not one we see much in gaming due to the tendency to service a fan base.

All true, but just as true is a company underestimating the size of the base they may be alienating.

holy shit as we speak i am booting up my ps2 starting gran turismo 4 wondering wtf has happened to modern racing games.

Yeah, f*ck this Gran Turismo... Every favorite franchise of me is going down the shitter or flat out dissapearing... Silent Hill, Gran Turismo, Onimusha, PES, Metal Gear... Luckily Resident Evil has redeemed itself.

The only way this clusterfuck of a Gran Turismo game can save itself is a fast appearance of classic tracks like Deep Forest and Trial Mountain and a heavily under pressure created 'old' GT mode.

It makes me even more mad that Sony decided to shut down Evolution Studios because I was very much looking forward to a Driveclub 2.

IISANDERII

I'm fustrated with Polyphony Digital because I know they can recreate the magic that they did with the early GT's. Just the thought of having a vast library of cars in beautiful HD detail is making me thirsty as hell. I want that game.

Hopefully, they'll do it someday. If that day ever comes, man...so good.
For me, the new magic far surpasses the old magic. I got more enjoyment from 5&6 than from all previous titles.

And probably that’s what PD is aiming for, ignoring a vocal minority’s call for the GT of old, not dissuaded by the zeitgeist guesswork of games reviews either.

Not quite. Driveclub actually had a decent amount of SP content, but it's online network was toast and that affected SP due to being always-online.

GT Sport has shitty content for SP, but a pretty solid online network.

Both situations piss off gamers, but as I said on the last page we're seeing the revolt from the buyers who aren't NeoGAF/Reddit/GTPlanet regulars.

The kinds of people who contributed millions of sales towards this

RbYo7T9.png

Because no, that isn't 76.49m hardcore sim fans (illustrative point, I know many people are buying multiple copies above and it's not 76m unique buyers). You'll probably be lucky if even 15~20% of that is your enthusiasts.

PD have completely overshot the mark thinking the bulk of GT fans were going to go crazy for e-sports AT the expense of SP/car and track counts being nuked. The only way to have won here was to manage both in 4 years.

This game is fucking amazing. Fun as shit and that was the goal. Beautiful to boot. I get you forumers wanted regular mode GT but this what they made and it's dope.

Best believe if this doesn't do well they'll revert to the reggie modes. But for now this game is addictive as fk.

Audioboxer

For anyone asking about people not doing research, here are some examples that people... didn't do research. Just the way it'll be with the GT brand. People will have played multiple previous games and have expectations

le140NM.png

This game is fucking amazing. Fun as shit and that was the goal. Beautiful to boot. I get you forumers wanted regular mode GT but this what they made and it's dope.

Best believe if this doesn't do well they'll revert to the reggie modes. But for now this game is addictive as fk.

It's apparently waves and waves of casual buyers who wanted a traditional GT. Forum goers too, but try finding a good number of people on Amazon not complaining about the lack of SP content.

For me, the new magic far surpasses the old magic. I got more enjoyment from 5&6 than from all previous titles.

And probably that's what PD is aiming for, ignoring a vocal minority's call for the GT of old, not dissuaded by the zeitgeist guesswork of games reviews either.

I think that belief will start to be getting tested.

GT5 Amazon

Wwx59Ep.png

LNpTryA.png

GT6 Amazon

5U9Qbpp.png

K920nia.png

Spukc

Yeah, f*ck this Gran Turismo... Every favorite franchise of me is going down the shitter or flat out dissapearing... Silent Hill, Gran Turismo, Onimusha, PES, Metal Gear... Luckily Resident Evil has redeemed itself.

The only way this clusterfuck of a Gran Turismo game can save itself is a fast appearance of classic tracks like Deep Forest and Trial Mountain and a heavily under pressure created 'old' GT mode.

It makes me even more mad that Sony decided to shut down Evolution Studios because I was very much looking forward to a Driveclub 2.

7nbK7l9l.jpg

just go back.
looking at my old crt with gt4 running in bspec atm .
what a game that was <3

With all the amazon negativity of just mostly not well informed people... maybe we should get back on track and focus on actual reviews again!

I would hate to see this thread closed as there are still many reviews to come.

My only real complaint with the game is the always online component. Let us save offline and then upload that save to the cloud, I don't see how that would be materially different.

inner-G

Banned
7nbK7l9l.jpg

just go back.
looking at my old crt with gt4 running in bspec atm .
what a game that was <3
If you don’t have a CRT but/and/or have component cables, GT4 can be run at 1080i on a PS2 also.

I think it was one of the only PS2 games that did that

Unknown?

Think so? GT6 seems to still be doing pretty good on Amazon.
The hate was STRONG for GT5. “Standard cars, am I playing on a PS2?!” GT6 had lots of hate too but that’s at launch and it’s really a staple of the series now. Lol After launch the attack of the fanboys subside and it becomes less skewed. Obviously there are real reviews mixed in there that are both positive and negative at launch, but a lot of the user reviews are as bad as Metacritic user reviews.

farisr

:O
How is Amazon rating system? Everyone can rate and review or you should buy that thing to rate it?
thanks. 2.4 on average, not much better. But if this is the most reviewed version, this means most are legit buyers, otherwise they probably would have reviewed the standard edition.
Amazon has verified purchase tracking.

Verified purchase reviews of both standard and limited edition combined stats on Amazon.com (as of 5 minutes ago)

168 verified reviews---
1 star - 96 (57.14%)
2 star - 16 (9.52%)
3 star - 8 (4.76%)
4 star - 8 (4.75%)
5 star - 40 (23.81%)

Average Rating--
2.3 stars

Spukc

If you don't have a CRT but/and/or have component cables, GT4 can be run at 1080i on a PS2 also.

crt composite atm
rgb scart cable is coming.
can i run 480p with rgb scart ?

also damn letting the game play itself for hours and just selecting the pace overtake pit etc wow

If you don't have a CRT but/and/or have component cables, GT4 can be run at 1080i on a PS2 also.

I think it was one of the only PS2 games that did that

You can run it on a PC with an emulator at 1080p with a modern wheel even, I think.

I haven't really looked at the reviews since the ISR one went up but I'm guessing there will be two types, those who love the direction and those that are middling because the content they wanted isn't presented how they wanted. The fans of the old will be the middling reviews and those that are more generalised racing fans will be more positive. User reviews will either be five star or one star as middle ground doesn't exist.
The GT Planet review is very solid! Hard to imagine there is a more in-depth and fair and well-informed review still to come.

All true, but just as true is a company underestimating the size of the base they may be alienating.

Very few decisions are made these days without data to support a change, especially when we are talking millions. Can still go wrong but when something is done well at what they are trying to achieve which GT:S is the new base will usually grow.

I haven't really looked at the reviews since the ISR one went up but I'm guessing there will be two types, those who love the direction and those that are middling because the content they wanted isn't presented how they wanted. The fans of the old will be the middling reviews and those that are more generalised racing fans will be more positive. User reviews will either be five star or one star as middle ground doesn't exist.

Kysen

The Japanese amazon reviews are brutal, clearly the messaging over there about the game was completely wrong. Seeing the same comments about people wanting to drive their own car in game and less focus on the vision GT stuff.

inner-G

Banned
crt composite atm
rgb scart cable is coming.
can i run 480p with rgb scart ?

also damn letting the game play itself for hours and just selecting the pace overtake pit etc wow
I’m not 100% sure but I think it has 480i, 480p and 1080i on the NTSC versions

You can run it on a PC with an emulator at 1080p with a modern wheel even, I think.

The GT Planet review is very solid! Hard to imagine there is a more in-depth and fair and well-informed review still to come.
True. I bet that is a good experience too, it’s just cool that PD Included it at retail back then. A lot of folks were getting their first HDTVs at the time. Plus some folks just don’t like messing with emulators so it’s cool that a higher res mode is available easily.

damn just checked meta it's at an 7.5 atm that is brutal.
i hope they patch the hell out of that game.
driveclub did it

GTS doesn't need patches. It needs DLC. In terms of cars, in terms of tracks, and last but not least in terms of offline- and VR-modes.

Cars and track DLCs are of course inevitable. But someone like me, who strongly prefers offline racing / SP or Split-screen mode, is thirsty for a good damn campaign DLC...

MaDKaT

Very few decisions are made these days without data to support a change, especially when we are talking millions. Can still go wrong but when something is done well at what they are trying to achieve which GT:S is the new base will usually grow.

All true. Then again, the data is still compiled and interpreted by some analyst or team of analysts. How the data was collected or the metrics they decided were important can easily sway how the data will be interpreted. Happens all the time.

As for the reviews. Most of them are just lamenting on current content. Few are docking over what's missing from the legacy. User reviews are much more polarized.

farisr

But someone like me, who strongly prefers offline racing / SP or Split-screen mode, is thirsty for a good damn campaign DLC...
I wouldn't hold off hope on this part for at least a couple of years. If this game actually does turn out to be futureproofed, I can see it happening when the PS5 version releases (early on in the gen this time with crossplay with ps4 users). Aside from cars, tracks, events that they've mentioned will be coming, I can see updates to stuff like weather, different lighting conditions for certain tracks (not all have night racing from what I've heard) livery editor refinements, adding in options for the VR mode, stuff like that rather than something substantial like a campaign.

Spukc

GTS doesn't need patches. It needs DLC. In terms of cars, in terms of tracks, and last but not least in terms of offline- and VR-modes.

Cars and track DLCs are of course inevitable. But someone like me, who strongly prefers offline racing / SP or Split-screen mode, is thirsty for a good damn campaign DLC...
it needs dlc that is free then man.
i am not paying full for the state the game is in yet.

as i stated before bring in b-spec and i owned this game yesteryear

True. I bet that is a good experience too, it’s just cool that PD Included it at retail back then. A lot of folks were getting their first HDTVs at the time. Plus some folks just don’t like messing with emulators so it’s cool that a higher res mode is available easily.
But that's just upscaled.
Still, wasn't there some stage demo on a conference where they hooked playstations together to get a higher resolution? I think that was using GT4 shortly before PS3 was out.

Audioboxer

There's no way they'll be able to patch in what people want in a reasonable timeframe, if at all. Best just to treat this as a glorified prologue some people will pay $60 for before it hits bargain bin prices in a few months. The next step should be GT7 within the next 2 years max.

It'll end up being an end of life PS4 release like GT6 was to PS3 lol. If Sony is genuinely going to have the PS5 out in 2020, it might be best as a launch title. If PD could hit early-mid 2019 for GT7, though, and end of life PS4 title could be okay. Sony would most likely launch a PS5 Sept-November 2020.

farisr

But that's just upscaled.
Still, wasn't there some stage demo on a conference where they hooked playstations together to get a higher resolution? I think that was using GT4 shortly before PS3 was out.
This post just reminded me that Sony was planning on having two HDMI out for the PS3 for multi-screen purposes.

Wiped89

Never. Too early to tell if this has been a successful venture or not. Will probably be months before we know.

I can see exactly how it's going to play out.

It'll open to massive sales when the figures come in and everyone will be toasting its success and crow will be served etc.

Then when it drops like a stone in the weeks after and second hand stores are flooded with copies (like No Man's Sky but not quite as bad), the inquests will begin. The evidence is visible from those Amazon buyer reviews.

diablogod

I havn't researched or looked at this game. I also havn't played a GT game since GT4. Is there really no career mode anymore? Like trying to do challenges for the licenses/do race tournaments for credits? If not I guess I have no reason to play this =(

Then when it drops like a stone in the weeks after and second hand stores are flooded with copies (like No Man's Sky but not quite as bad), the inquests will begin. The evidence is visible from those Amazon buyer reviews.

Yeah I tend to agree - I'm certain many, many general population buyers had no idea this was online-focused.

HOWEVER

I hope that this happens, given it will spur Polyphony to make some changes in terms of their DLC delivery and maybe modify the game with a full traditional campaign with new tracks and cars. Then I buy the 1 year, complete edition.

MaDKaT

I can see exactly how it's going to play out.

It'll open to massive sales when the figures come in and everyone will be toasting its success and crow will be served etc.

No lie, that is sort of how I see it playing out. Massively front loaded, online stats look great, then a very sharp and sudden drop. Not sure how low it will go. Maybe just to numbers that Sony/PD think are acceptable or the ship ends up on fire and sinks. I am enthusiastically interested in how it actually plays out.

Who knows. Maybe GT ends up like Destiny. Wouldn't that be something. A racing game with massive appeal.

ElNino

Honestly, just an anecdote here, I'm having trouble selling my brand new, sealed copy for $20 CAD below retail. It's been listed since launch day. Zero takers (except for one idiotic lowballer). There are a ton of local listings that have also been up for the same amount of time.
Maybe all the buyers are still waiting for Amazon to ship out pre-orders like mine.

Top Bottom