• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport - Review Thread

All the reviews aside, for the people that enjoy the game, is it worth playing if you use the DS4?

I have a wheel, but it's connected to my PC and I'd like to use Sport to just jump in to some nightly casual races.

Best racing game to play with a controller IMO, and this is playing Forza, F1 and Dirt.

Moze

Banned
Not gonna gonna argue that, Mozely. You buy the game mate?

Nah. I play Gran Turismo for the single player. I like racing a Volvo estate in some weird sunday cup just as much as I like racing an R8 in a bigger event. GT sport doesn't have the car variety or single player for me to be interested in it.

This very much reminds me of the BOTW OT. "What's there is really damn good, but it's not Zelda." It's almost like the brand/franchise is what some folks can't look beyond. I think GTS has brilliant aspects, but there's no doubt lots of room for improvement. I think it'll get there.

BOTW was very different to what people expect from Zelda but it was still very ambitious and had a ton of content. GT Sport just seems scaled back in every way outside of the online. And the online has not traditionally been the appeal of GT. Wasn't the online for GT5 shut down like 2 years after release? And nobody really cared. Taking a game that has always been about single player and making it online only is very bizarre.

I can understand why people like the game, but I am just not interested until they add the GT career back. Outside of Forza, GT was really the only game that allowed you to drive normal cars aswell as classic and exotic cars. Being able to race in anything from Volvo estate to a XJ220 to a R8 was the appeal of GT to me. I look at the car list now and just see a generic list that is in basically every car game.

Is there going to be a GT7? The wording from the studio makes it sound like the next game will be Gran Turismo Sport 2. Even the CEO of PD said he considers this game to be GT7.

They will probably determine what the next game is based on consumer reaction to this game. If sales are really good, they'll make GT Sport 2. If sales are as disappointing as the reviews, they will definitely not make GT Sport 2 and will make GT7 instead.

Motion controls are outrageously good. Don’t skip them!
This is a big selling point for me personal. This and split-screen means I could play it with my nephew when my borother visits with him. He loves playing Mario Kart with motion controls and this way he could learn something about actual racing from the driving tests.

Crayon

All the reviews aside, for the people that enjoy the game, is it worth playing if you use the DS4?

I have a wheel, but it's connected to my PC and I'd like to use Sport to just jump in to some nightly casual races.

Great with sticks but the motion control is even better. It's like having an invisible wheel.

Loudninja

roadandtrack .com review
So should you buy it? I'd say yes, especially if you're a fan of sports-car racing, the Gran Turismo series, and ideally, both. While we somewhat miss the eclectic car collections of older games in the series and the tracks, there's no doubt this is a step in the right direction. Polyphony started with a clean slate, and created something really interesting.

We'll have to play it more, though. We've only scratched the surface of Sport mode, and I'm personally interested to see if skills learned in the game can be translated into the real world.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/entertainment/a13059794/gran-turismo-sport-review/

ghibli99

Gonna have to give the motion controls another go. Felt so strange to me, since there's literally no pushback (even though it's minimal, sticks have a tactile feel). I remember that wacky one for Forza 4 having a similar strange feel to me, but maybe I'll get used to this. Either that or I'm just gonna have to crack and get a wheel (once we live somewhere where I can actually set one up).

?

The load times are pretty short tbh, way better than past games too.
Yeah, I've had zero issues with loading times. I've only done Circuit Experience, Time trials and custom races though. Transitions are slick enough that the load times never rise to something I ever think about or notice.

And once you're ready to start a custom event or time trial you can change everything from car to conditions to even swapping out the track from the top left menu. Restarts are near instant and most of the trials and challenges I've done have that replay window which immediately pops up once you finish them.

Maybe Sport mode and lobby stuff has more loading - haven't touched any of that.

LostDonkey

Restarts are fast but changing cars from the race menu takes ages like it has to connect to the server?

Even selecting the next event from the list of licenses or missions takes a while for me.

Preparing race takes 30 seconds plus. Guess I've just been used to it instantly on PC2 and Forza. Granted they are on PC but I'm playing this on Pro, still seems slow to me.

Restarts are fast but changing cars from the race menu takes ages like it has to connect to the server?

Even selecting the next event from the list of licenses or missions takes a while for me.

Preparing race takes 30 seconds plus. Guess I've just been used to it instantly on PC2 and Forza. Granted they are on PC but I'm playing this on Pro, still seems slow to me.

Mine takes 3-4 seconds... tops. I'm using a SSDH though. Loading a race takes about 30 seconds though like you said.

Gonna have to give the motion controls another go. Felt so strange to me, since there's literally no pushback (even though it's minimal, sticks have a tactile feel). I remember that wacky one for Forza 4 having a similar strange feel to me, but maybe I'll get used to this. Either that or I'm just gonna have to crack and get a wheel (once we live somewhere where I can actually set one up).

It took a while to get used to, particularly as I’ve never before used them for anything other than maybe Wii Tennis. But they are so precise and smooth. Hard to imagine going back.

ghibli99

It took a while to get used to, particularly as I’ve never before used them for anything other than maybe Wii Tennis. But they are so precise and smooth. Hard to imagine going back.
That's good to hear. Think I'll dedicate some time to it tonight... before the outage. ;)

LostDonkey

Is there no way of getting the g920 to work with ps4? Ffb and all?

Can't really justify buying another wheel just for one game.

It's much easier to program for the PS4 than the PS3. There are really no excuses why this couldn't have been GT7, had a full solo campaign, more cars, and more tracks. It's hard to figure out what's going on over there.

Modelling and developing fucking scapes for us to make photo's of a car in a racing game because Kaz likes taking photo's and owns several hundred cameras and lenses ... Kaz didn't develop a GT Mode because we today aren't car lovers like the GT1 days but if we aren't car lovers like those days why the hell we'll want to take photo's...

Sony should have forced Kaz to agree instead of refuse Evolution Studios plan to give Driveclub the Gran Turismo name and make it a spin-off like Forza Horizon. It then would sell more and Evolution would still be here making Driveclub 3 by now which would be an awesome racing game we all would play instead of clinical, content ridden online focused GT Sport...

/rant over

Darn. I never thought about trying the motion controls in the beta. Is there a demo or any way to try it again without buying? I thought the regular controls were terrible, though I must admit I am VERY used to Forza controls these days.

onanie

Is there no way of getting the g920 to work with ps4? Ffb and all?

Can't really justify buying another wheel just for one game.

Will you have an opportunity to try the game at all? As some have mentioned, try it with the ds4 first, and give motion controls a good go.

onanie

I feel like this is the sentiment from most automotive enthusiast sites giving their impressions. I tend to agree so far but I'll see how it lasts.

I do see a trend in the motor enthusiasts sites understanding GTS better.

Darn. I never thought about trying the motion controls in the beta. Is there a demo or any way to try it again without buying? I thought the regular controls were terrible, though I must admit I am VERY used to Forza controls these days.

The motion controls are mapped 1:1 to your avatar's hands in both position and latency, so it is a definite improvement over the stick.

Now you've let the cat out of the bag.

Sorry, I forgot this was the "GTS does everything wrong" thread. ;)

That's good to hear. Think I'll dedicate some time to it tonight... before the outage. ;)

It's absolutely worth it. Just be patient. Don't treat it like a wheel, treat it more like you're lifting/dipping the sides of the DS4 while it's mostly flat (or in a normal playing position).

At this point, it's pure muscle memory for me.

LostDonkey

Will you have an opportunity to try the game at all? As some have mentioned, try it with the ds4 first, and give motion controls a good go.

I'm playing the game right now with the ds4. I haven't tried the motion controls but I have the g920 wheel setup, just wondering if there is a workaround as it's xbox/pc only officialy.

Aaron D.

Someone already mentioned it many pages back, but I really wish they would have simply called the game Gran Turismo Online.

It would have quelled so many dissident arguments against the game. Arguments that are pretty valid in the context of franchise legacy vs. shipped product.

GTS looks like a mixed bag at this point. The highs are high and the lows are low. But I honestly feel like if the game was branded as a ground-floor online platform from the start there'd be far fewer sour grapes.

GTS has incredible potential as a GAAS. That's the part where not putting a number behind the name was smart. It's a platform that can be built upon. New tracks, new cars and new gameplay challenges / modes in the future. So you're not buying in on a finished product. You're buying in on an expanding platform.

I can't say for PD if this is their end game, but man the waters could be so much less choppy right now if it is. If they could message to people that this is just the start of something great with more to be added to down the line.

Then it really could become an iRacing model. One that is constantly iterated on. One that builds a huge fan base providing a constant revenue stream as the platform expands.

It seems like the messaging really did GTS a disservice at this point. As it stands the game has so much potential to be an exceptional experience & service.

onanie

Modelling and developing fucking scapes for us to make photo's of a car in a racing game because Kaz likes taking photo's and owns several hundred cameras and lenses ... Kaz didn't develop a GT Mode because we today aren't car lovers like the GT1 days but if we aren't car lovers like those days why the hell we'll want to take photo's...

Sony should have forced Kaz to agree instead of refuse Evolution Studios plan to give Driveclub the Gran Turismo name and make it a spin-off like Forza Horizon. It then would sell more and Evolution would still be here making Driveclub 3 by now which would be an awesome racing game we all would play instead of clinical, content ridden online focused GT Sport...

/rant over

I think a lot of people actually appreciate the scapes, both as creator or as consumer of the creations.

GTS itself is far from clinical, and plenty of owners have actually expressed excitement over the gameplay.

Been playing the game for a bit and it's so good but the way they have gone full on online, like saves not being offline is really fucking stupid. The reviews as well have been eye opening to say the least, I have not read a review yet saying the actual driving is poor or it's a shit game. Had PD been on point with their content such as an old style career mode, this would have reviewed so much better it's insane to think about.

I don't think PD will even wait until GT7, career will be added to Sport for sure. Whatever happened with this game, Sport was all we were gonna see from PD this generation so they will just keep building on from what is there.

The groundwork is simple amazing, it is a game that I will have until the PS4 dies out. I also think this is one of those titles which you will see on PS5 as a remaster as it's going to be supported up until then and they can use the console as a 'relaunch'.

I thought it was a lot of jibber jabber when people said SP would impact sales, having my mates that play GT actually turn around and say where was the career mode in this game, that was an eye opener.

onanie

I thought it was a lot of jibber jabber when people said SP would impact sales, having my mates that play GT actually turn around and say where was the career mode in this game, that was an eye opener.

I think Kaz is well aware of that, and the challenges of pushing new ground. Actual owners are for the most part really enjoying the game, and are already finding it addictive.

Onemic

Someone already mentioned it many pages back, but I really wish they would have simply called the game Gran Turismo Online.

It would have quelled so many dissident arguments against the game. Arguments that are pretty valid in the context of franchise legacy vs. shipped product.

GTS looks like a mixed bag at this point. The highs are high and the lows are low. But I honestly feel like if the game was branded as a ground-floor online platform from the start there'd be far fewer sour grapes.

GTS has incredible potential as a GAAS. That's the part where not putting a number behind the name was smart. It's a platform that can be built upon. New tracks, new cars and new gameplay challenges / modes in the future. So you're not buying in on a finished product. You're buying in on an expanding platform.

I can't say for PD if this is their end game, but man the waters could be so much less choppy right now if it is. If they could message to people that this is just the start of something great with more to be added to down the line.

Then it really could become an iRacing model. One that is constantly iterated on. One that builds a huge fan base providing a constant revenue stream as the platform expands.

It seems like the messaging really did GTS a disservice at this point. As it stands the game has so much potential to be an exceptional experience & service.

I dont think so because as it stands now Id say that the online features also feel like they severely lack in content. The progression that you would generally feel in a GT game isnt present in the online(since all cars are already unlocked for you) and the 3 dailies available are really just weeklies. Being restricted to 3 tracks and the same car selection per week isnt what I'd call a large amount of content for anyone thats played GT before.

By calling it GT online, people would still expect the experience of a GT, but online, which I dont believe GTS really does. It gets the driving/presentation part of the GT right, but it totally misses the mark on the content, which is pretty much the other half of what makes GT, GT.

Id think the option that wouldve made more sense if they were to go the name change route(Or just in general) is to also sell the game at a reduced price like Prologue, therefore people seeing the game would have a better idea that this isnt the full fledged package that a GT game usually is.

I dont think so because as it stands now Id say that the online features also feel like they severely lack in content. The progression that you would generally feel in a GT game isnt present in the online(since all cars are already unlocked for you) and the 3 dailies available are really just weeklies. Being restricted to 3 tracks and the same car selection per week isnt what I'd call a large amount of content for anyone thats played GT before.

By calling it GT online, people would still expect the experience of a GT, but online, which I dont believe GTS really does. It gets the driving/presentation part of the GT right, but it totally misses the mark on the content, which is pretty much the other half of what makes GT, GT.

Id think the option that wouldve made more sense if they were to go the name change route(Or just in general) is to also sell the game at a reduced price like Prologue, therefore people seeing the game would have a better idea that this isnt the full fledged package that a GT game usually is.

Have you been in the lobbies yet? Sport mode = competitive online, lobbies = quick play. There have already been set ups in sport where you needed to use your own cars its just at the moment the three available you loan the car.

onanie

The name Sports is to capture the spirit of racing, and the creative direction has followed this idea. They have decided that this spirit will include human compatriots, which I agree with from the racing experience thus far. The perceived lack of content falls apart when most owners have already spent many hours in various parts of the game.

Gaenor

Banned
I think Kaz is well aware of that, and the challenges of pushing new ground. Actual owners are for the most part really enjoying the game, and are already finding it addictive.
The perceived lack of content falls apart when most owners have already spent many hours in various parts of the game.
Yes and no. I very much enjoy the gameplay, it's a joy to drive cars in this game. I just really wished there were a proper offline career mode (and obviously more cars and tracks). This game is bittersweet for me and some other people it seems.

IISANDERII

User reviews gonna user reviews, guys. They're utterly useless unless you're looking for somesort of fanboy sorting system.
It's not limited to just user reviews and hasn't been for a long while.
There are very few good and trustworthy gaming review sites.

onanie

Yes and no. I very much enjoy the gameplay, it's a joy to drive cars in this game. I just really wished there were a proper offline career mode (and obviously more cars and tracks). This game is bittersweet for me and for a lot of people it seems.

That is good to hear. The more content, the better. We are only one week into this game, and with the Q&A as reported here , we can be reassured.

Gaenor

Banned
That is good to hear. The more content, the better. We are only one week into this game, and with the Q&A as reported here , we can be reassured.

I'd wait for the DLC roadmap and the ratio of what is free/paid before being reassured though. But that's just me.

onanie

I'd wait for the DLC roadmap and the ratio of what is free/paid before being reassured though. But that's just me.

Sure, every person will have the opportunity to assess the value of the DLC as they arrive.

With plans for commercial cars, vintage cars, famous cars, and "もちろん", more tracks, it will be exciting.

onanie

Uhm, can this game be the biggest critical flop of the year after MEA?

It's not a big drop from 81% of GT6. Furthermore, as I have mentioned, it is an intentional new direction for the PD studio, with expectable consequences from traditionalists. With the lower scores, those reviewers were expecting legacy content that is not there. Most reviews however, still reflect the excellent quality of the game. Current owners are nearly universally enjoying many hours of the game.

Ridesh

Banned
It's not a big drop from 81% of GT6. Furthermore, as I have mentioned, it is an intentional new direction for the PD studio, with expectable consequences from traditionalists. With the lower scores, those reviewers were expecting legacy content that is not there. Most reviews however, still reflect the excellent quality of the game. Current owners are nearly universally enjoying many hours of the game.

I mean. it's okay to be positive, but the amazon user reviews tell another story.

Top Bottom