• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport - Review Thread

GlamFM

Banned
It soundly beats it in online racing and several graphical categories.

Not entirely positive what they’re getting on about with “every area.”

-lack of weather
-time transition
-limited selection of cars
-limited selection of tracks
-no SP campaign
-mediocre motor sounds

Feel free to add some.

-lack of weather
-time transition
-no SP campaign
-mediocre motor sounds

Feel free to add some.

I said what GTS beat Forza 7 in. That doesn’t mean Forza 7 doesn’t “win” in a variety of categories. I thought the post was clear, was it not?

Outrun

Fk I'm in the dilemma should I pick this up or not..especially when reviews mention GT Sport lacking in every area comparing to F7.

I was so ready to try a new franchise other than Forza series.

I think GTS is doing its own thing.

But if those FM features are important to you, then wait a little.

Tomeru

-lack of weather
-time transition
-no SP campaign
-mediocre motor sounds

Feel free to add some.

While I agree on the lacking part compared to the past, motor sounds are far from mediocre this time.

Ascenion

So do you like reviews of incomplete and/or unplayable games?

All reviews should be made after the game resealed in my opinion... everything before that is just a preview.

It is the same with movies... you have Reviews after debut on theaters and not before it.

Bullshit, why give them a chance to fix things that should be on the disc?

To start a lot of publishers do release incomplete and unplayable games. Also if anyone will play the title without the day 1 patch that is the version that should be reviewed let’s not forget a small subset of gamers don’t have net connected consoles so whatever is on the disc is what they are stuck with.

Movies are a bad comparison. No one is trying to fix a film after it’s in theaters, plus post release reviews are easier. Grab a 9:30am ticket and bam 2 hours later you can start working on a review and likely have it published before people get off work at 5.

Audioboxer

Uhh...what?

Top notch integrity, right there.

"Couldn't play/test 90% of the game, return to form".

You mentioned the career...

Yes, we did. But we only managed to play a few little bits from it, as the servers were down for maintenance during most of our playtest time.

Chalk these reviews up to the review industry "we need day 1 clicks!" striking again. The reason devs and pubs turn off MTs for a few weeks.

"Informed reviews", 10/10, would read and base my purchase on again.

dugdug

Banned
Man, nothing but love for Peter Brown, but, with that Tag Heuer complaint, it just sounds like he might not have been the best fit for official review.

Said it before in the Forza review thread; it's not like some of these critics don't have valid viewpoints, but, I'd rather wait for reviews from people who are legitimately into racing and know the sport, itself.

Bullshit, why give them a chance to fix things that should be on the disc?

To start a lot of publishers do release incomplete and unplayable games. Also if anyone will play the title without the day 1 patch that is the version that should be reviewed let’s not forget a small subset of gamers don’t have net connected consoles so whatever is on the disc is what they are stuck with.

Movies are a bad comparison. No one is trying to fix a film after it’s in theaters, plus post release reviews are easier. Grab a 9:30am ticket and bam 2 hours later you can start working on a review and likely have it published before people get off work at 5.

Why would non net connected gamers be playing an online centered racing game?

Kaz when he saw the first reviews.

VI5Wnom.gif

Poor translator guy in the background with nothing to write in his notepad :(

dugdug

Banned
Is online access really an issue in 2017?

It's an anomaly, but, I haven't been able to get online for more than 20 minutes at a time in my apartment. The wires went bad so we have to actually get the building re-wired. I basically won't be able to do much with GTS until it's done.

You’d be surprised by the amount of people that don’t know the nature of GT Sport. Your average consumer probably hasn’t paid attention to the complaints about Little single player content.

That’s a fair point, although I would hope they’d understand it by reading the back of the case. GTS leans into what it is, maybe even to its own detriment.

Going on a trip tomorrow and can't bring my PS4 😩 gonna be a long two weeks.

Glad it's getting good reviews, sounds like the online components can sustain the game. Hopefully the community doesn't go to shit with trolls and derankers and the like. Overwatch wore me down from that...

ethomaz

Banned
I thought the gold disc of a game was supposed to be complete and playable? 12GB (1/4 of a 50GB BR disc) is not just a patch.
That didn’t happened since 2006... even more true with games having strong online components that only goes up on release day.

So why bother to review incomplete games before releases?

Reviewers needs to face that write an artist vlw called review before the release of the game today is bullshit... it is basically a preview.

Hugstable

Banned
And servers only go up on release date.

?, servers have gone up for reviewers tons of time before the release of a game, heck even sony's last first party racer Driveclub let reviewers onto the servers

ethomaz

Banned
?, servers have gone up for reviewers tons of time before the release of a game, heck even sony's last first party racer Driveclub let reviewers onto the servers
And that is why reviewers said DC servers were fine when it was not lol. They did a preview that didn’t turned true at the launch of the game.

Pointless.

That mentally reviews needs to go up ASAP and even before the game release is what make the reviews so bad today.

Give time, enjoy the game and review it at your own time after release experiencing what the true/final game delivers.

Hugstable

Banned
And that is why reviewers said DC servers were fine when it was not lol.

They did a preview that didn’t turned true at the launch of the game.

Pointless.

The servers were completely fine for reviewers before the game came out. It was after everyone was trying to get onto the server after launch that the servers went to crap

Audioboxer

It's not the livery editor itself that is unavailable, just the SVG file decal import tool is held back.

I know, that's what Gtplanet says, the uploader won't be available as well as a few other social features.

And that is why reviewers said DC servers were fine when it was not lol. They did a preview that didn’t turned true at the launch of the game.

Pointless.

That mentally reviews needs to go up ASAP and even before the game release is what make the reviews so bad today.

Give time, enjoy the game and review it at your own time after release experiencing what the true/final game delivers.

It's even worse in GTs case though as there is that review above that admits "90%" of the game was unplayable but here's our review anyway.

At least reviewers got to experience what DC should have been like once out to the public.

ethomaz

Banned
The servers were completely fine for reviewers before the game came out. It was after everyone was trying to get onto the server after launch that the servers went to crap
That was my point... reviews should wait release to accurate give a score for what it is... and not it should be (MCC, DC, etc).

All reviews may be done after the launch... that is my point for years.

WIP reviews is a step to the right path.

GenericUser

While I agree on the lacking part compared to the past, motor sounds are far from mediocre this time.

They have improved a lot from previous gt games, but that doesn't say much tbh. Play some Arsetto Corsa or project cars and you'll hear that even the improved sounds in gt are mediocre at best.

I thought the gold disc of a game was supposed to be complete and playable? 12GB (1/4 of a 50GB BR disc) is not just a patch.

You're right and in that case XB1X reviews are going to suck following that train of thought as they apparently all download the updated textures etc which are not on a disc.

Audioboxer

All car data is updated in order to support rain conditions

I'd be careful about taking that as 100% confirmation rain is in the patch. Updating the cars first doesn't necessarily mean rain is ready to go just yet. I'm only saying before anyone tells me I'm wrong. Weather is obviously coming to Sport, but it's either been a struggle to get it working for day 1, or it's coming post launch like Driveclub.

GlamFM

Banned
you couldve just posted Scorpio and left the thread. Wouldve gotten the same point across.

?

"GTSport servers remained offline until Sunday included. Whoever came out today with his review is not reliable."

No big outlet has a review out as of now.

Therefor I´ll be back when the actual reviews hit.

What exactly is your problem with that?

This worth getting just to play with a controller? I know most people use a wheel.

There's no way that most people playing GT games use a wheel.

Yes it's fine to play with a controller. It's a lot of fun. But if you're used to driving a real car then it's arguably more fun and immersive, with a while, and there are some relatively minor control benefits too (it's easier to control the car when you can really feel the feedback from the tires).

I'd be careful about taking that as 100% confirmation rain is in the patch. Updating the cars first doesn't necessarily mean rain is ready to go just yet. I'm only saying before anyone tells me I'm wrong. Weather is obviously coming to Sport, but it's either been a struggle to get it working for day 1, or it's coming post launch like Driveclub.

Yup, this is an important distinction.

Ascenion

That didn’t happened since 2006... even more true with games having strong online components that only goes up on release day.

Reviewers needs to face that write an artist vlw called review before the release of the game today is bullshit... it is basically a preview.

You bother because someone in a case like this is gonna play that “incomplete” version. What you ship on that disc you should be proud of if anyone happens to play it just like that.

Top Bottom