• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
You really think Rockstar cares if the game leaks a week early? That is probably not why they are not going to release a PC version this year, but more because of the fact that PC gamers tend to pirate more and that it has a smaller install base. Besides.. You gotta love the money Sony is handing to them for the marketing of it.

Come on lets not do this.

oxidax

Am I allowed to post quote about GTA V being pirated? If not, please delete this post.
I took that quote from my country's site, but i guess source is GTAForums.

Quote is:
Okay guys, finally we got a copy of the game. But there have appeared a problem, seems that Rockstar immersed a new protection in disk 2. We have failed compiling a working img file due to some checks on the first layer as we invistigated(Xbox was unable to read). Our team is working on it.. All that concerning disk 1 img it is playable with licensed disk 2. More news after 6PM

Fine. Ill get off the internet until Tuesday.

Real or Fake?

seVZzhB.jpg

You decide.

Looks like a random Just Cause 2 picture (although that's not the game's radar) with the guy and the parachute pasted on it.

Andrew.

Banned
This will be the safest place to be.

Denied. There's always an asshole out there (yes, even on GAF) that doesn't give a frogs fat ass about ruining everyones good time with a major story spoiler or something. Hell, accounts are made on this forum just to fuck up people's hopes and dreams for upcoming game releases.

Ive seen it happen in the TLOU thread and the Infinite thread. Both of those games were ruined for people on the forum a week or so before release. Trust absolutely no one on here.

The PS3 is by far the least favorable system to pirate on because of the cost of blu ray discs and burners. The 360 has become relatively easy because of the cheap format and the PC. Well.. The PC has pretty much always been pirating heaven.

On PS3 people play games via HDDs. No disc cost at all. What cost of blu ray and burner you tall about?

Come on lets not do this.

Seriously. Piracy tends to be more about convenience and availability than anything else.

At this point, pirating any given game is way more annoying than buying it on Steam. Hence why piracy in any country that doesn't have Steam plummets the second Steam is made available in that country (e.g. Russia).

antitrop

Denied. There's always an asshole out there (yes, even on GAF) that doesn't give a frogs fat ass about ruining everyones good time with a major story spoiler or something.

Ive seen it happen in the TLOU thread and the Infinite thread. Both of those games were ruined for people on the forum a week or so before release. Trust absolutely no one on here.
Ya, I got hit for Bioshock.

But whatever, it wasn't a big deal. It's kind of hard to ruin the ending of Bioshock Infinite with 1 sentence.

No need to feel attacked. I am just stating my opinion on what I feel is the reason why Rockstar is not doing this or that. It is not to be taken as a fact. Never mentioned that once.

Your opinion is wildly out there.

MormaPope

Banned
There isn't a PC version at launch because GTA IV felt like a technical betrayal to the PC crowd. Some PC's handle GTA IV well, some or a lot don't. GTA V optimized to the fullest on PC will be amazing, breathtaking even.

It isn't because of pirates, people that pirate will pirate no matter what. At launch or a year later.

antitrop

There isn't a PC version at launch because GTA IV felt like a technical betrayal to the PC crowd. Some PC's handle GTA IV well, some or a lot don't. GTA V optimized to the fullest on PC will be amazing, breathtaking even.

It isn't because of pirates, people that pirate will pirate no matter what. At launch or a year later.

GTA IV PC came out 6 months after consoles, in December of 08.

You really think Rockstar cares if the game leaks a week early? That is probably not why they are not going to release a PC version this year, but more because of the fact that PC gamers tend to pirate more and that it has a smaller install base. Besides.. You gotta love the money Sony is handing to them for the marketing of it.

Hell yeah they do. People who are pirating the game on day one probably weren't going to buy the game in the first place, but people who get a leaked version of the game might not bother buying the game even if they planned to originally.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
It's unfortunate that no matter how good the game is, GTA 4 will have a higher Metacritic just because GTAV will probably have pop in and framerate problems.

Raven77

Any word on how many disks the 360 version is?

Also, just in general, any updates or info on which version has the better frame rate, etc? Might be too early for this info I guess.

Hell yeah they do. People who are pirating the game on day one probably weren't going to buy the game in the first place, but people who get a leaked version of the game might not bother buying the game even if they planned to originally.

I feel, and this is my opinion, that the people who put in the effort to be able to pirate, will not even consider to buy a copy.

antitrop

I was just listing a random time frame, not the time of GTA console to PC porting.
No, I mean that really the only logical justification that you need for GTA V not having a PC port at launch is the precedent of GTA IV not either.

It's not unusual. No need for strange piracy conspiracy theories. I can't understand why people are so concerned.

.GqueB.

Banned
Fake.

I don't get why people go out of their way to make fakes in situations like this. Are they that starved for attention?

Yes. Some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men, just want to watch the internet squirm.

Makes me wonder if they're beefing up something. Usually when a supported Social Club game is played its added to a person's profile, stat checking and all that. If a journalist plays GTA V and has a Social Club account, an accidental post of GTA V stats and such would be a big goof up.

Agreed -- I think they'd have that under control, probably one of the reasons why they've sent it out to such a small select group of reviewers.

Alienous

My guess? You'll see GTA V on PC before the end of the year.

The probable reason why it isn't coming with the PS3 and 360 versions is because of piracy. Piracy is most prolific on the PC platform, after all. I doubt it has anything to do with performance. Red Dead Redemption was a business decision, and Max Payne 3 shows that the RAGE engine certainly works on PC.

If they delay the PC version by 1-3 months, they can avoid it cutting into their initial sales. Yes, piracy will still occur, but it will have less of an impact.

antitrop

The probable reason why it isn't coming with the PS3 and 360 versions is because of piracy. Piracy is most prolific on the PC platform, after all. I doubt it has anything to do with performance. Red Dead Redemption was a business decision, and Max Payne 3 shows that the RAGE engine certainly works on PC.

If they delay the PC version by 1-3 months, they can avoid it cutting into their initial sales. Yes, piracy will still occur, but it will have less of an impact.
I think you're being overly optimistic.

My guess is next March at the earliest, and it's because of development time, not piracy. Piracy is obviously a concern, but I think you're overestimating the influence of that into the timing of the PC port.

Careful. You are threading on the same ground I was.

Heh, I forgot all about spoilers. GAF is usually safe, just gotta stay about a page behind the latest posts to account for the short time it takes mods to massacre idiots.

Went and paid this off at lunch today, so I'm all ready for Monday night.

As an aside, apparently Gamestop is now in the obnoxious habit of asking you if you're ready to trade in things you just bought from them. Guy asked me about trading in Dragon's Crown for $30, I told him it's probably the only thing aside from SMTIV this year that will come close to the number of hours I'm going to put into GTAV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom