• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twinduct

I think you're being overly optimistic.

My guess is next March at the earliest, and it's because of development time, not piracy. Piracy is obviously a concern, but I think you're overestimating the influence of that into the timing of the PC port.

Nah man, no game ever makes any money on PC!
But agree with your date.

MormaPope

Banned
My guess? You'll see GTA V on PC before the end of the year.

The probable reason why it isn't coming with the PS3 and 360 versions is because of piracy. Piracy is most prolific on the PC platform, after all. I doubt it has anything to do with performance. Red Dead Redemption was a business decision, and Max Payne 3 shows that the RAGE engine certainly works on PC.

If they delay the PC version by 1-3 months, they can avoid it cutting into their initial sales. Yes, piracy will still occur, but it will have less of an impact.

I was thinking of a response, but anti already beat me to the punch.

I think you're being overly optimistic.

My guess is next March at the earliest, and it's because of development time, not piracy.

Another botched GTA V port would be much worse than pirates doing their own thing. Also the reasoning of "taking a cut" three months later vs/ at launch doesn't make sense. Both scenarios are exactly the same, its people not wanting to buy the game. What would the three month gap actually do?

I live 50 minutes away from one AND they're dispatching on Saturday.

I could have this come Monday!

I live 10 mins from an Amazon distribution center. I get my packages early in the day but I've never gotten a game, with release day shipping, before release day. In 3+ years of Amazon prime release day shipping.

not to burst ya

Derrick01

Banned
Is there a reason the PS3 version doesn't leak?

It does a bit more often now than it has for most of the generation. I'm not 100% sure why but I think it involved blu ray and most ps3 games usually are a lot bigger in disc size since the discs can hold over 50gb. There was probably some really unique protection they put on it too.

SuperSah

Banned
I live 10 mins from an Amazon distribution center. I get my packages early in the day but I've never gotten a game, with release day shipping, before release day. In 3+ years of Amazon prime release day shipping.

not to burst ya

But i've gotten release games early a few times.. :(

Most of my friends are getting it on 360 but everyone on GAF seems to be going for the PS3 version. I considered getting both but I think I'll just get the Xbox version.
I'm going 360 for custom soundtracks and easier/more casual partying up.

Am a big fan of digital downloads though.

Alienous

I can't imagine, bar one of the protagonists dying, that GTA V will have a 'ruinable' ending.

Any twists probably happen midway through the plot, not at the end. The ending will probably involve characters we haven't had previewed. Consider this: how would you ruin the ending to GTA IV, or Max Payne 3? And this is all assuming that GTA V has one ending.

No, I'm not too worried about spoilers in that sense. Bioshock: Infinite and The Last of Us are in a different tier, due to the importance of the narrative in those experiences.

I feel like, in terms of the things I would be surprised by playing GTA, I've probably had most of that spoiled already (weapons, vehicles, heist scenarios).

Twinduct

I would suggest you to remove that image with those kind of tabs in your browser open before you get banned.

Also Jim posted here like one page back.

Was thinking the same lol. Completely proves a point made earlier in this thread regarding PC gamers lol.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.

not to burst ya

Yea same here. I'm about 30 minutes away from the distro never not one time have I gotten a game before release day from amazon. All 5 of the games I've bought day one for ps3 were from amazon and it never happened.

I don't expect or even think it will this time.

oxidax

I asked my boss for Tuesday off, he gave me Monday. WTF!?

:( At least im getting off at 3pm. He doesn't get it! Its a holiday God dammit!

kris.

Banned
It surprises me that people don't use Walmart more. There's never a big line like Gamestop, you can just walk in at midnight, grab the game, and you're good to go.

Andrew.

Banned
It surprises me that people don't use Walmart more. There's never a big line like Gamestop, you can just walk in at midnight, grab the game, and you're good to go.

Probably because its Walmart. You have to shower after you get home from that place.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.

Honestly I'll probably end up doing that, then send my Amazon copy back. I want to play it asap.

I don't buy games day 1 very often and I really don't feel like waiting until around 5pm on the 17th for when UPS usually stops by.

oneils

Damn! 20 pages! I still haven't posted yet.

So here goes...

zYu.gif

Awesome OT, and

1Yu.gif

I am so excited!

antitrop

I'm watching this "History of Grand Theft Auto" documentary on YouTube and it's really good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xhY9LSGbNk

The first GTA makes me so nostalgic, I played a lot of it on PC when it came out. Not so much GTA 2, only a little bit. As I said before, I still have the disc (that doubles as an OST), but you can download it for free from Rockstar's site for many years now.

It's not really worth playing. :p

Con_Smith

Banned
Don't know if I'm more hype for the game itself or GTA online. Been playing MP3 like crazy getting ready for GTA:O (Because I know I'll actually play with people in the crew now ;P)and reading through this thread between taking care of personal matters. Trying to decide if throwing down money for gta before my interview at gamestop is a good idea or not....

antitrop

No, I'm not too worried about spoilers in that sense. Bioshock: Infinite and The Last of Us are in a different tier, due to the importance of the narrative in those experiences.

I was going to make a post like this earlier, but didn't feel like it, so... this.

jaaz

Yea same here. I'm about 30 minutes away from the distro never not one time have I gotten a game before release day from amazon. All 5 of the games I've bought day one for ps3 were from amazon and it never happened.

I don't expect or even think it will this time.

Amazon doesn't screw around with this.

Spazznid

I'm watching this "History of Grand Theft Auto" documentary on YouTube and it's really good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xhY9LSGbNk

The first GTA makes me so nostalgic, I played a lot of it on PC when it came out. Not so much GTA 2, only a little bit. As I said before, I still have the disc (that doubles as an OST), but you can download it for free from Rockstar's site for many years now.

It's not really worth playing. :p

That one and the GameTrailers one are both exceptionally well done. That one focuses more on the games, and the GT one focuses a bit more on the effects they had, as well as the response from the public.

gosox333

Wal Mart can be a real pain in the ass when it comes to getting new releases at midnight. At best it goes like how you said, but at worst you'll end up rotating through multiple clueless employees who don't understand that the game is still in the back warehouse because the morning crew haven't put it on the shelves yet, and that they can technically sell it to you because it's the the release date.

Fuck I've had some bad experiences there at midnight lol.

Wal Mart can be a real pain in the ass when it comes to getting new releases at midnight. At best it goes like how you said, but at worst you'll end up rotating through multiple clueless employees who don't understand that the game is still in the back warehouse because the morning crew haven't put it on the shelves yet, and that they can technically sell it to you because it's the the release date.

Same thing happened to me a bunch of times with the Toys R Us employees. They still had a Friday released game in storage and refused to check if they had them. Needless to say I stopped going there after a couple of times.

kris.

Banned

Shit, I hope that doesn't happen. The guy I talked to the other day seemed pretty knowledgable about preorders and they're doing some kinda midnight release event I think.

For some reason, we've only gotten three Walmarts back to 24 hour operation since Katrina, and I'm lucky enough to live 20+ minutes away from all of them.

Gamestop on the other hand is 2 minutes from my house (at midnight anyway) and you can park right by this Mall service entrance and walk 20 feet into the store.

antitrop

Holy shit... That documentary I'm watching just said that most of GTA III was developed by about two dozen people.

My brain just leaped out of my skull.

Alienous

Holy shit... That documentary I'm watching just said that most of GTA III was developed by about two dozen people.

My brain just leaped out of my skull.

Yeah.

And every so often it dawns on me that the people who created Grand Theft Auto made Lemmings before it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom