• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V - review thread [Embargo 3pm BST/7am PST]

Status
Not open for further replies.

FACE

Banned
One of the reasons I liked the heists so much. It felt like just that. Though I don't give numbered scores it was probably a 8. Especially with the story missteps and just everything taken as a whole.

Can you tell me how many bank heists are there in total(spoiler tag it for the sensitive)?

"A technical achievement, GTAV's driving and shooting gameplay in an excellently crafted open world is marred by a script that presents despicable characters as the protagonists."

I LOVE the fact that the game affected him so much, that it sabotaged his experience. I can't wait to experience that darkness.

The guy who said "The Breaking Bad of videogames" might actually be right.

I am waiting for the inevitable ''I never took them seriously'' post when a review scores under 90%

Sterling loves it. That is all I care about. That man truly acknowledges my feelings I have for games.

From Escapist Review:

"That's what it's like to play Grand Theft Auto V. The three men you take control of throughout the game aren't even anti-heroes. They're just scumbags. "

...This is actually making me more excited.

Nice, even the most negative review out so far acknowledges the game itself is amazing, only bashing it because there are bad guys in it. Which has been the case in GTA since its inception.

Who cares if it's on metacritic or not, it actually sounds like a positive review all things considered. We all know what we're getting into playing a GTA game, and all reviews seem to confirm the basic mechanics have been vastly improved compared with GTA IV. And that's what really mattered, to me at least.

ultron87

It sounds like there's a mission where you have to
torture someone for info
that is rubbing a lot of folks the wrong way.

Karak

From Escapist Review:

"That's what it's like to play Grand Theft Auto V. The three men you take control of throughout the game aren't even anti-heroes. They're just scumbags. "

Damn. I sort of wish I had thought of that line. That is very fitting.

The Flash

Banned
4sO5W.png

What

It's fascinating to me. GS and Escapist were truly affected by the game's writing. So much, it sank the game in their eyes. To me, that's a bigger endorsement of the game's narrative qualities, than any "Oscar caliber" review ever did.

Definitely, the game set out to make the characters dispicable and to make these issues come to the fore. They're making a joke about real life (as every GTA does).

I think like you said, the fact that they're so affected by it means it worked brilliantly

giapel

Seems like this time the praise is deserved BUT... I’ll make my own judgment when I play it. I think that's the biggest asset GTA games have over the competiton. Love them or hate them, you have to at least try them as they're always important generational releases.

Loudninja

From Escapist Review:

Eh its GTA they not suppose to be nice guys.

Has it been figured out which version of the game is better? I'm trying to avoid looking around too much for info on that. I just need to know if the 360 or PS3 version is better, or if the differences are negligible.

PureGone

Banned
Not good enough.

I expected it to be the Game Of The Civilisation!

The media has failed it's 10/10's!

---

While it's a nice average, I can't help but suspect how much money Rockstar poored into media outlets to get these scores.

Over 200 million budget, all that money had to go somewhere

Adam Blue

I will try this game, no doubt, but I never liked the GTA games.

I agree with the Escapists in theory (since I haven't played the game, but played previous). I don't like playing as an unlikable character/criminal. My favorite open-world game of this style was True Crime L.A. - Sleeping Dogs was close but never full filled what it was going for.

Think of a GTA-style game, but you play as a character like Jimmy McNulty?

In for the online.

ironcreed

Banned
It's fascinating to me. GS and Escapist were truly affected by the game's writing. So much, it sank the game in their eyes. To me, that's a bigger endorsement of the game's narrative qualities, than any "Oscar caliber" review ever did.

I think they need to remember what series they are reviewing here. Nice to see most did and get that it is over the top and has 'despicable' characters on purpose.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I always hated when reviewers used big words like these to sound like a professional. I know some people will probably tell me to just have a stronger vocab, but I just personally don't like it. There reviewing a game, there not food critics.

Anyways, nice scores so far.

Those are not big words, bro.

Writers choose (correctly) to use one word to replace several when it is possible to do so. That's not pretension, it's craft.

And if you've been reading any discussion about games lately, none of those words should be unfamiliar.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
It's worth noting that these reviews aren't even taking GTA Online in to account. They're reviewing half the game. Imagine how good the overall package is going to be when online launches in a couple weeks.

Derrick01

Banned
So I'm still reading Kotaku's review (it's long and I keep getting distracted by gaf) and it seems like the choices you get to make for the heists that were detailed a long time ago are superficial at best. Seems like it doesn't really matter who you pick to come with you or if they screw up or not, you can still complete the mission easily under your own power and even if you make less money from them there's so much money to be had in the overall game that it doesn't matter much.

I was afraid of that happening. It seems to happen to most non-RPGs who try to act like RPGs in the choice and consequence area.

jaaz

I really hope this game isn't too serious. The best part about GTA is its sense of humor. It never takes itself too seriously.

So, er, most people who play GTA act like scumbags anyway. Beating up random people in the street, and so on. The characters actually avoid the whole "virtuous hero acting like a dick when in player control" trope by, er, not being virtuous, and that's a bad thing?

Tain

I'm not expecting a masterpiece from this game, but the thought that playing as a trio of bad guys is going to lower a 5 star game to a 3(.5) star game is pretty hilarious.

I get what the Escapist is trying to say, but they're saying it in a way that implies that main characters should never be despicable people. Which is silly.

For what it's worth I also think some parts of the script aren't very funny or particularly smart, but I walked away finding the characters interesting in their own degenerate ways.

CF22

Do these reviews have any spoilers? I've only been looking at the scores but would like to watch some reviews.

Empty

i couldn't get past the opening paragraph of polygon's review. it's awful.

With Grand Theft Auto 5, developer Rockstar North aspires to re-establish GTA as the most important video game franchise in the world, to further raise the bar, the budget, the breadth of experience of the big games

the big games

So we've isolated the one review that doesn't please us that we'll be focusing on to the exclusion of everything else. Right on schedule, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom