• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V - review thread [Embargo 3pm BST/7am PST]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

What a joke this is:

This is all conjecture, but I'm going to go out on a limb and sarcastically comment that it's SUCH a shocker that a female game reviewer couldn't take this game in stride without mentioning misogyny.

The characters in the GTA world are crude, murdering gangsters, and misogyny is what "Carolyn Petit" is concerned about.

How dare this female care about and be influenced by how a game she played treats females!

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I cannot for the life of me understand what Sessler is saying in his reviews. Everything he says is needlessly complicated. Just speak English.

I feel like Sessler is trying to show off himself as much as the game he's reviewing.

Timeaisis

No, the crime is a lack of perspective and variety in games reviews. If scores can be so easily predicted, what good are they? The problem isn't the high score, it's the predictability.

Yeah, this was all way too predictable. I would be way more shocked if it averaged less than 90%. It really might be an excellent game, well deserving of a 10, but even then, surely these reviewers can't think every game they give 10s to are the best of all time? Because they pretty much say that with every 10/10 handed out.

And by my count, there are like about 20 best games of all time made every year.

46w500

Banned
What a joke this is:
fDr7l6i.png

This is all conjecture, but I'm going to go out on a limb and sarcastically comment that it's SUCH a shocker that a female game reviewer couldn't take this game in stride without mentioning misogyny.

The characters in the GTA world are crude, murdering gangsters, and misogyny is what "Carolyn Petit" is concerned about.
It's a valid complaint over a train of thought that afflicts the video game industry. And, more importantly, you're seeing more than just females bring it to the forefront.

Einbroch

Banned
Adam's review...

Likeable guy, but dude needs to relax on the hyperbole and lavish diction. It's almost like he just enjoys hearing himself say smart words.

Tadale

This is all conjecture, but I'm going to go out on a limb and sarcastically comment that it's SUCH a shocker that a female/transexual game reviewer couldn't take this game in stride without mentioning misogyny.

Only after googling her did I realize she was actually a he. We get it, you're trying to represent "femininity" and girl power by standing up for your new gender. This fact makes her sensitive journalism even more laughable.

Totally embarrassing.

d1rtn4p

I suspect that I'll align with the escapist's review also. I love Grand Theft Auto, but solely for it's gameplay. The story, characters, and writing in general is just terrible. I expect more of the same. I've heard a lot of places equate this one to the movie Heat; if it gets a third as close to that movie as they say, then I think I'll like this one the best.

What a joke this is:
fDr7l6i.png

This is all conjecture, but I'm going to go out on a limb and sarcastically comment that it's SUCH a shocker that a female/transexual game reviewer couldn't take this game in stride without mentioning misogyny.

Only after googling her did I realize she was actually a he. We get it, you're trying to represent "femininity" and girl power by standing up for your new gender. This fact makes her sensitive journalism even more laughable.

1. Oh my stars, a woman who plays video games with something to say about women in video games!
2. To reiterate: Carolyn Petit is a woman.

spekkeh

Banned
What a joke this is:
fDr7l6i.png

The fuck dude. This is his/her opinion. Presumably, lots of women will be appalled by this game, shouldn't they have a review to highlight this for them either?

2San

What a joke this is:
http://i.imgur.com/fDr7l6i.png[IMG]

The characters in the GTA world are crude, murdering gangsters, and misogyny is what "Carolyn Petit" is concerned about.[/QUOTE]
Well yeah, a female gamer would probably be better in noticing misogyny. Since they are confronted with it all the time. Are you saying women can't stand up for themselves now? She isn't the only one mentioning misogyny btw.

Check this by polygon. [URL="http://youtu.be/h31mGESpn4E?t=5m1s"]http://youtu.be/h31mGESpn4E?t=5m1s[/URL]

mrklaw

MrArseFace
several reviews have talked about how the game treats women characters. Although Edge points out that this reflects back on the main characters too so it doesn't come across as the game being misogynistic

edge said:
The game’s treatment of women – every female in the game exists solely to be sneered, leered or laughed at – is a real concern until you realise that it applies to the male characters as well

What a joke this is:

This is one of the most disgusting posts I have ever seen here. The personification of the problem that is discussed here. Congratulations.

Edit: Wow, you actually made it worse. And now it is a transphobic rant on top of being misogynist.

Fjordson

I'm just wondering why anyone would get so frustrated to try to offend me whenever I post about GTA.
Frustrated? Not at all. Just having a bit of fun since you always seem so angry in GTA threads.

But offending you was genuinely not my intention so I'll apologize and keep quiet.

Marleyman

Banned
What a joke this is:
fDr7l6i.png

Right on

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hey dudes, take sexism seriously and listen to women when they have concerns about misogyny.

Cool, thanks.

zma1013

I can vouch for the PS3 version. It's nothing like the horrible conversions of Red Dead Redemption or Skyrim. The frame rate is rock solid, consistent and there's no screen tearing. It looks really great too :)

But what of the resolution? That was my main issue with Red Dead on PS3, it was dreadfully blurry, and that was without comparison to the 360 version. I actually stopped playing it and went out and bought the 360 version and wow what a difference.

What a joke this is:
fDr7l6i.png

This isnt gonna end well.

Stupid woman. What's the big deal with misogyny anyway it's a dude game for guys. Lady reviewers should think twice before they decide to mention any aspect of a game that bothered them. I just hope these whiners don't get in the way of R* releasing some Trevor rape minigame DLC.

But what of the resolution? That was my main issue with Red Dead on PS3, it was dreadfully blurry, and that wa without comparison to the 360 version. I actually stopped playing it and went out and bought the 360 version and wow what a difference.

PS3 version is definitely not blurry.

mo60

The comments section for the GS GTAV review are horrible.Someone even created a petition to get rid of the reviewer.I deleted that comment.I don't want to talk about this to much.That game got a great score from the reviewer anyway.

Einbroch

Banned
What a joke this is:
fDr7l6i.png

What a joke this is.

Fjordson

Carolyn Petit enjoyed the game. A lot. I'm not sure why people are singling out her review.

And even if she had gave it a negative score it wouldn't invalidate what she's saying. Let's chill out a bit.

Ok, well, if we're going to start going off on yet another tangent about how women shouldn't review certain games because -insert fallacy here-, I'm just gonna leave now.

Zornack

Hey dudes, take sexism seriously and listen to women when they have concerns about misogyny.

Cool, thanks.

Misogyny in video games and 10/10s are pretty much the same thing for me at this point. They both get thrown around so much these days I have no idea which to take seriously and which are hyperbole.

Unison

What a joke this is:
fDr7l6i.png

I don't care about the identity of the reviewer, as it seems irrelevant to me, but how do you give something that is Deeply offensive 9/10 in the first place?

keyrat

If she felt that while playing it's her prerogative, and it's a valid perspective. Do you tell the male reviewers to toughen up when they expressed that the torture stuff was off putting?

Re: Sessler and Dickens

I hope he meant that the game gives a reflection of the times we live in, much like a Dickens story. There is zero chance that the narrative in GTA V is as good as Dickens, though. It'll be like if Dickens was rewritten by a moron.

eot

Banned
I feel like the main problem with current reviews (of all games) is that people put way more stock in the numerical score than the content of the review itself.

A lot of people only "read" them to feel validated, so they don't really need to read them, just look at the score. It's fairly ridiculous since it's not about the quality of the game, it's about only wanting to hear things you agree with regarding something you made up your mind about a priori. That then leads to lower than average reviews being taken as personal insults, or that's what it seems like at times.

polygon's review was written by a lady too and mentioned how women are shit in this game lol.

maybe it IS a trend!

Which other reviews are written by women?

UrbanRats

Misogyny in video games and 10/10s are pretty much the same thing for me at this point. They both get thrown around so much these days I have no idea which to take seriously and which are hyperbole.

Play the game, see for yourself.

Golden rule for everything, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom