• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V SPOILER Thread of SPOILERS

woen

But the free roam takes place at whatever time you're at in the story? There's no reason to do it any other way. Did you expect to play as
John
at the end of Red Dead Redemption?

None of this is Rockstar's fault at all.

Devil's advocate on RDR
You can finish all the strangers side-quests with Jack, whether you started them or not (except for one particular)

But at least in GTA V you're warned clearly. And why have got only 1 save ? It's crazy.

how about a fucking option to replay the mission and change your choice.

and I don't think you can compare RDR ending with this, because it doesn't change anything at the end. You are literally just another person, that's all. Here all the side missions are lost. Out of 3 character 1 is just gone for good.

Well it did say Kill Trevor and he dies by fire ...

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Devil's advocate on RDR
You can finish all the strangers side-quests with Jack, whether you started them or not (except for one particular)

But at least in GTA V you're warned clearly. And why have got only 1 save ? It's crazy.

NOOO

You are not.

Kill Trever

Does that automatically makes you think that after the story is done, he is not playable in this open world game. All his missions are gone. You can't do 100% completion.

If there was a popup msg saying all that, then you can say it was clearly warned.

Here it was such a casual choice, kill trever or kill micheal. Not once it crossed my mind that it will impact the entire world in a big fucking way.

woen

NOOO

You are not.

Kill Trever

Does that automatically makes you think that after the story is done, he is not playable in this open world game. All his missions are gone. You can't do 100% completion.

If there was a popup msg saying all that, then you can say it was clearly warned.

Actually yes it's the first thing I thought and this why I didn't want him or another to die.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Who woulda thunk that killing a character would result in that character being dead.

More than one save is key here.

BeforeU

Actually yes it's the first thing I thought and this why I didn't want him or another to die.

Man is this the defence force speaking? So I am wrong for not knowing the choice to full extent or didn't do multiple saves. But you can't agree that they should have given an option to play again and revert your choice if you still want to do 100% completion of the game.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think the game could have told you any better that the character you chose specifically was going to die and therefore affect your chance of completion.

Heck, when making the choice, I'm pretty sure it even asks you again "Are you sure?".

NOOO

You are not.

Kill Trever

Here it was such a casual choice, kill trever or kill micheal. Not once it crossed my mind that it will impact the entire world in a big fucking way.

Except Trevor's stuff isn't needed for 100%, so calm your tits. And really now, it's basic common sense that choosing to kill a character will, y'know, kill that character.

Man is this the defence force speaking? So I am wrong for not knowing the choice to full extent or didn't do multiple saves. But you can't agree that they should have given an option to play again and revert your choice if you still want to do 100% completion of the game.

I like to call it the "common sense" brigade.

BeforeU

Except Trevor's stuff isn't needed for 100%, so calm your tits. And really now, it's basic common sense that choosing to kill a character will, y'know, kill that character.

umm oh oh

wait

what?

I can still do 100% without Trever?

BeforeU

Bobgm.gif

Bandit1

Not really spoilerish, but I figured some people might complain so I put it here: After the fistfight mission with the Arab car seller, if you switch to Franklin and follow Michael for a while, this will happen:
michaelpunchxuojj.gif

This is cool, considering that just prior to this Michael is in no mood to be messed with.

That choice of endings is significantly worse than GTA IV's. Heck, all of the endings are bad.

Either:

- You kill Michael as Franklin. During this mission, Michael is enthusing about how he has turned his life around. And it's so out of character that Franklin becomes a cold assassin.

- Killing Trevor is better. Franklin and Michael team up to kill him. The dialogue seems more appropriate, and it's the ending that feels most like a conclusion to the story.

- Killing everyone else is such bullshit. All of a sudden, the major enemies within the game become people you can kill. It's so weak.

And, as I said before, half of the heists are shit. The good ones are:

- The jewellry store robbery.

- The government building robbery (where you can dress as a janitor, or parachute in).

- The gold heist.

There others are rubbish.

- Trevor's heist is hardly one. You don't gain anything, and Plan A and Plan B feel like two different missions rather than different approaches. Actually, Trevor's heist feels like another mission. You don't hire a crew, for instance.

- The one where you tip over a truck is pitiful. Less of a heist than a giant shootout. And you don't get to hire anyone. Again, it feels like a mission.

- The one where you rob the smaller bank, again, lacks the choice heists should have offered. No alternative approach. You get to hire a single gunman. Instead of procuring vehicles as part of a heist set-up, they're just there. Instead of acquiring bomb suits, you just have them. And, again, you don't get to keep much of the money.

Agreed on all points. I think the jewel store is the best. It just felt like something out of a movie. Scanning the building, finding its weak points, and preparing for for the heist, picking a strategy and then the smash and grab was all fantastic, and then the subsequent heists were downhill from there. And the FIB was far too involved.

The FIB has tabs on Michael but virtually let him run wild. It would have been better if Michael operated throughout the game ducking his handler and then the heat comes down near the end and the player as Michael has a few choices: a) ratting on Franklin and Trevor to keep his freedom b) taking the fall or c) killing his handler and trying to escape.
Franklin and Trevor learn that the FIB is bearing down on Michael and the player can choose to kill Michael to keep him quiet or sticking it out hoping that Michael won't betray them.

Rockstar's multiple character design could have lent itself to a host of endgame possibilities from different character perspectives: the player chooses to rat as Michael, then switches to Trevor to go kill Michael, or uses Franklin to kill him. The player decides to do nothing as Michael and switches to another character to kill Michael before he can say anything (hypothetically). The player decides to have Michael turn himself in to spare Franklin and Trevor. The player has Michael rat, then switches to Franklin to go kill Michael, then switches to Michael and kills Franklin in self-defense..
You get the idea.

I'm surprised this thread isn't longer. I guess all the spoiler talk was in the OT? Anyway, I completed the main story for the second time, this time on Xbox One. I love the game, but I do feel that the ending is pretty lazy. Going after all the antagonists at once and as characters who have no connection to them wasn't really satisfying. This is something GTA IV did a lot better with Dimitri. Killing Stretch just seemed like an after thought, and the others never seemed to reach the status as main villian. It seems like they wanted the Trevir/Michael conflict to be a big part of the game, but weren't committed to going all the way with it. Oh well. Really looking forward to single player DLC.

I can see your thinking - normally end game states largely disregard the story. However, you can't really blame R* for something which was quite clearly telegraphed, even if you assumed they wouldn't run with it.

Top Bottom