• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grandia® II Anniversary Edition (PC) |OT| Still Not Vague Enough 15 Years Later

Falk

that puzzling face
tKEC5X4.png

Developer: GAME ARTS Co., Ltd. (original), SkyBox Labs (this port)
Publisher: GungHo Online
Price: $20, 25% launch discount (USD) till Aug 31st
Platform: PC (Steam/GoG)
Release Date: Aug 24 2015

http://store.steampowered.com/app/330390/
https://www.gog.com/game/grandia_ii_anniversary_edition

15 years after the stunning Dreamcast debut of Ryudo and his epic adventure, Grandia II is back and better than ever! The classic Japanese RPG returns with enhanced visuals, new difficulty level, and features both keyboard and gamepad support!

Take the role of a hardened mercenary with a heart, and go on an epic adventure filled with magic, new friendships, and surprising storyline twists in search of a weapon once wielded by a deity. It’s the classic tale of a band of adventurers destined to save the world, but things are not always as they seem…

Grandia II is famous for its great characters, mature storytelling, memorable music and fantastic battle system, and there's no better way to experience one of the most beloved console RPGs of the 32-bit era than this special Anniversary Edition!

* Visual upgrades to textures, lighting, and shadows
* Original Japanese voice option
* Additional difficulty level
* Gamepad support
* Steam Trading Cards
* Steam Achievements
* Steam Cloud Save Support
* Selectable Video Options
* Remapable Keyboard & Gamepad Support
* 100 Save File Slots
* Dreamcast VMS Save File Support

System Requirements
MINIMUM:
Processor: Dual Core, 2.5Ghz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 4000 Series / Nvidia GTX 200 Series / Intel HD 3000 Series
DirectX: Version 10
Hard Drive: 2 GB available space

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Quad Core, 2.5Ghz+
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 260, AMD Radeon HD 4850 / Intel HD 4000 Series
DirectX: Version 10
Hard Drive: 2 GB available space
(C) 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001 Game Arts. (C)GAME ARTS/SQUARE ENIX 2002.
Character designs by Youshi Kanoe.

FAQ:
(Quotes are pulled from here. Lots of other useful info/insight.)

What's this?
PC rerelease of Grandia II, one of the best RPGs of the early 2000s and still one of the poster childs of turn-based/command-based battle systems till today. Originally on Dreamcast, it had a later PS2/PC port which suffered many technical issues. This port is based on the original Dreamcast version. This port is in large part the direct result of a poll GungHo put out a few months ago asking which games people would like to see on Steam.

60FPS?
Update: HELL YES (in combat, as per patch 1.03)

Widescreen?
No. On Widescreen resolutions you have the option of stretching (please don't do it) and the game otherwise pillarboxes to a 4:3 display area. Windowed mode (Alt-Enter) seems to use a 4:3 window based on vertical size of the selected resolution.
Widescreen: As some fans have theorized, the FMVs and cutscenes were the most problematic for a widescreen format. On top of that, various elements of the game would have needed to be completely redone. In this case, we were testing the waters with classic Steam ports, but this is something we can consider in our future ports.

Resolution?
Update: 4k, Ultra-wide, Custom resolutions

What's With The OT Topic?
If you didn't have to ask, it'd actually be not vague enough.

Why should I get this?
Despite not having every bell and whistle known to mankind tacked on in a Frankenstein manner, it's a very competent port, and functions without much hassle on modern operating systems. For example it isn't the technical nightmares the old PC version and PS2 version were. Also see points below:

Hard Mode?
Hard mode is hard. Personal experience so far has me needing to put quite a lot of thought into how to use skill/magic coins and tough decision making on the major bosses. GungHo has this to say:
"Yes, there was a lot of work done for Hard Mode both for regular enemies & for bosses. It's not just the raw health & defense numbers that are different, but also the speed of the opponents attack bar (frequency) that have been adjusted. As the user starts to progress the boss battles will start to become very challenging. Some battles later on that may have took 20mins on Normal Mode before could last 45-60mins+ mins on Hard Mode.

General world enemies in Grandia II Hard Mode are more difficult because of an increase in their frequency of attacks, their increased HP, and in some instances their ability to take damage. This makes each enemy engagement more risky for the player, while still providing the same reward and XP curve, ensuring that enemy difficulty does not outpace player advancement. Combat has not been ramped up overly excessively for world enemies, as the player is never a great distance from a save cone and we don’t want Hard Mode devolving into a constant shuttling between the save cone and the next world enemy.

Bosses in Grandia II HD Hard mode however, have been made significantly more difficult. Their attacks are much more frequent, forcing the player to make constant decisions about when to heal, boost, or attack; balanced against the player’s capacity to counter boss attacks with defensive maneuvers. Bosses also have large boosts to HP, defence, and in some cases even their base damage values. Vulnerabilities to specific attacks have also been decreased, but not so much that enemies lose their “personality”. This ensures that players still have an avenue to attack bosses in specific and tactical ways. Regardless of these increases though, players should be able to beat any boss via a tactical approach, regardless of the leveling up choices they’ve made prior to that point in the game."

Personal experience update: Through to the end of the game, difficulty eases off somewhat. The overpowered AOE abilities that were bread and butter in the original (and virtually all other Grandia games) still will wipe the floor, but it does take longer to get to that point, and several boss battles do require a lot more strategy regardless. It's definitely a better experience than the vanilla tuning, in my opinion.

Bugs/Support?
Update: Many bugs have been fixed, many fan-requested features have been patched into the game since OP. Support is 'done'. Some minor issues remain, but it's unlikely we'll see anything nearly as surprising as a patch popping 60fps battles on us anymore.
More here

Modding Possibility?
A lot of the assets are out in the open, unencrypted. There are a couple of ongoing projects and/or proposals like a HD texture mod in combat and hi-quality soundtrack replacements.

Screenshots

eastx

Nice OT!

I'll echo what everyone else says - that this needs widescreen support. Even if it's just during battles or whatever, any level of widescreen support would be better than none. At least give us some attractive widescreen borders if nothing else.

li bur

I still don't get why this game have high requirements with that kind of features. I guess I'll just find my old physical copies somewhere.

Parsnip

I still don't get why this game have high requirements with that kind of features. I guess I'll just find my old physical copies somewhere.

Never trust specs.
They can only test the game on system they actually have.
At this point it's better to ask impressions from users with wider variety of systems who might have similar rig to yours.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I played this game to completion way back around 2001 or 2002, and to date it's one of maybe five or six JRPGs I've completed. I have truly fond memories of Grandia II and I hope those of you who are playing it for the first time can enjoy the game as much as I did.

I've never played grandia 2 before and I started on hard mode from the get go and yeah, it's not easy. Are there any big missable items in grandia 2? I hate when I miss a weapon I should've got because a tower fell over with the Excalibur in it or something

VariantX

Just read in the OP that the it seems to be mod friendly. I'd lose my shit if someone did an HD texture pack for Grandia II. HD texture pack or no, as soon as I have the money to get this, its going into my steam library.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I really thought the game would have widescreen after the comments in the GameSpot thread, but I guess I confused what is considered support for different aspect ratios and ended up being "Selectable Video Options". I will probably wait for a sale before I pick this up now, or I'll grab it if a mod is made.

Falk

that puzzling face
My experience with the hard mode is that it was still disappointingly easy. Just my two cents.

You're insane.

Or maybe it gets easier. I dunno.

I've never played grandia 2 before and I started on hard mode from the get go and yeah, it's not easy. Are there any big missable items in grandia 2? I hate when I miss a weapon I should've got because a tower fell over with the Excalibur in it or something

You do get locked out of quite a few places. Generally the game gives a steady stream of upgrades so missing stuff isn't a big deal, but there -are- some pretty broken items. Especially the ones that let you warp with each attack.

cerulily

Ok, real question, if I hated almost all of Grandia 1 except for maybe the last 1/5th, will Grandia 2 be a different experience?

Basically I hated that
essentially there is zero urgency or consequence to anything happening for the first 3/4ths of the game, until you get over the wall. And after that, characters drop in and out of the story so fast that you never care about most of them

Falk

that puzzling face
Ok, real question, if I hated almost all of Grandia 1 except for maybe the last 1/5th, will Grandia 2 be a different experience?

Basically I hated that
essentially there is zero urgency or consequence to anything happening for the first 3/4ths of the game, until you get over the wall. And after that, characters drop in and out of the story so fast that you never care about most of them

Grandia 1 was framed as a game about adventure and exploration. Even from the get go you're setting out where no one (from the civilized world) had ever gone before.

Grandia 2 feels very different. In the words of GAME ARTS, it was designed to be more mature than the first. I'm not too sure what you mean about consequence, but the framing of Grandia 2 is about the very stereotypical good-god-vs-evil-god.

Lots of things the party does throughout the game have lasting consequences for those around them. I'm not sure how much more detail I can go into without spoiling. Heh.

p.s. (Grandia I spoilers)
I find it kinda hilarious how Rapp polished his parents into round stones pretty much and apparently at the end of the game all the petrified people were reverted? OOPS

cerulily

Grandia 1 was framed as a game about adventure and exploration. Even from the get go you're setting out where no one (from the civilized world) had ever gone before.

The problem that I have with this is that asking me to invest 30 hours into a story without consequence is really asking a lot. I'm not saying it doesn't get more interesting later, but "because adventure!" is not really a good reason to care about a jrpg story for me.

i'm glad to hear Grandia 2 fixes this problem, I will certainly pick it up/

Stuart444

I find it kinda hilarious how Rapp polished his parents into round stones pretty much and apparently at the end of the game all the petrified people were reverted? OOPS

I didn't even think about that XD.

Nice OT. I started on hard myself. Not gotten too far though.

I hope this does well and opens the way for a Grandia 1 port and maybe even a Grandia 3 port (since we never got it in the UK).

Also while I think the PS2 version was fine (and never had an issue with it even when i played it the other year and completed it) when I played it, this does feel a lot smoother. More than I expected it too so I'm happy about that.

So yeah, nice enough port.

Falk

that puzzling face
The problem that I have with this is that asking me to invest 30 hours into a story without consequence is really asking a lot. I'm not saying it doesn't get more interesting later, but "because adventure!" is not really a good reason to care about a jrpg story for me./

That's actually why I found that Grandia held up so well for me. It was juvenile because it was at its core a coming-of-age story. A useless idiot of a boy finding out that shit isn't all just fun and games and eventually manning up, taking responsibility, and having actual goals rather than "I just wanna see what's out there".

Ironically, your exact criticism is why I found Grandia 3's plot largely forgettable, so I get where you're coming from lol

UrbanRats

My experience with the hard mode is that it was still disappointingly easy. Just my two cents.

I barely played any jrpgs in my life, and i remember the game on DC being super super easy, too, so i can see Hard Mode still being easy for someone with some experience in the genre.

Ooccoo

I'm waiting for the next patch for them to fix the bugs that have been listed on Steam Forums. Otherwise my game is broken.

ChrisG683

Just in case this wasn't posted before

http://steamcommunity.com/app/330390/discussions/0/521643320372815158

60 FPS: Some fans have reported that the original PC port was 60 FPS. This isn't entirely true. The game was actually 30 FPS for everything but the battle scenes -- which were indeed 60 FPS. We've had a lot of fans propose some ideas that could potentially unlock the 30 FPS, and we'll definitely look into it to see if we can ensure this level of performance while maintaining the game's stability.

Hopefully if they lift the 30 fps restriction, they give us the option to fully unlock it for 120/144 Hz goodness.

Stuart444

I loved the feel of Adventure in Grandia 1 myself. I prefer it over Grandia 2 though I do love some of the characters in Grandia 2 as much or more than some of the ones in Grandia 1, especially Ryudo/Skye and their interactions.

New002

I was weary come launch day after reading about the bugs and the erroneous reports on the state of the hard mode. The developer really seems to be adamamant about fixing all the little glitches and appears to be quite open to feedback. It also seems like the game may prove to be ripe for modding. Good stuff.

jaina

I got a used PS2 copy a few months ago. But I haven't started playing yet.
Looks it's worth it to spend an additional 20 bucks for this version. I still would've paid less than full new release price.
Is the game very grindy? Sped up grinding would be my only reason to prefer an emulated PS2 Grandia 2.

Psxphile

Probably should mention that bug that screws up enemy A.I. as a precaution, at least until a fix is found. It's as easy to trigger as it is to completely bypass.

edit: oh wait, you kinda did. nevermind

Falk

that puzzling face
Probably should mention that bug that screws up enemy A.I. as a precaution, at least until a fix is found. It's as easy to trigger as it is to completely bypass.

edit: oh wait, you kinda did. nevermind

Actually new info suggests that it might not even be related to talking to the tutorial guy.

It's kind of in a 'don't do it because where's the harm' state right now, but any concrete links are at this point can be refuted simply on the basis of being anecdotal.

Unless someone wants to take a couple of hours out of their life running like a dozen times with and a dozen times without to get a decent sample size.

zakujanai

Starting this at the weekend, fresh from the first one. I got pretty far through this a few years ago so it's been one of those games that haunt me. Excited to see it through to the end this time.

Don't remember any huge issues on PS2 but apparently this version is better right?

Hey.

So, the camera just spins. I'm running Windows 10, and using an Xbox One controller. Other games don't have issues.

I calibrated the controller using the Windows utility.

I also made sure that I only had the Xbone controller plugged in (no other joysticks, controllers) and restarted. Finally, I confirmed that the Xbone controller is set as the primary controller.

Any ideas, people?

Hey.

So, the camera just spins. I'm running Windows 10, and using an Xbox One controller. Other games don't have issues.

I also made sure that I only had the Xbone controller plugged in (no other joysticks, controllers) and restarted. Finally, I confirmed that the Xbone controller is set as the primary controller.

Any ideas, people?

Try changing the camera buttons in the config utility.

Falk

that puzzling face
Man, the next time someone brings up grievances that Sabertusks in FFXV Episode Duscae are annoying to fight because they're fast and dodge everything remind me to bring up these assholes

Parsnip

Hey.

Any ideas, people?

I hear that possibly re-installing the Xbone controller driver, or possibly using the 360 controller driver has fixed the issue. Can't verify myself.

Maou

I'm waiting eagerly for discussion to move from technical issues to the critcial question of whether Millenia or Elena is better for Ryude.
Millenia, obviously. Tifa vs. Aerith is kids' stuff.

Also, everyone should listen to Skye.

Seda

I got a used PS2 copy a few months ago. But I haven't started playing yet.
Looks it's worth it to spend an additional 20 bucks for this version. I still would've paid less than full new release price.
Is the game very grindy? Sped up grinding would be my only reason to prefer an emulated PS2 Grandia 2.

I had terrible experiences with the ps2 version, although I'm not sure if emulation can fix some of its many performance issues.

The game is not especially grindy, no. Sitting through some of the longer ability animations, especially later in the game, can get a tad annoying though.

Robaperas

Hey.

Any ideas, people?

From what I read, you have to update the controller drivers.

YES, that part always bothered me.

Falk

that puzzling face
The game is not especially grindy, no. Sitting through some of the longer ability animations, especially later in the game, can get a tad annoying though.

Unpopular opinion: I've been completely spoiled by how fast Compile Heart games are. I mean, yeah, they're budget affairs and a lot of the speed is due to travelling between 'places' being done via menu and lack of actual physically explorable towns (i.e. the games really are more visual novel with dungeons and combat than a traditional JRPG framework), but everything from startup logo barrage to combat animations to results screens are skippable. The games really respect not wasting your time if you don't want it to.

YES, that part always bothered me.

little falk headcannon just accepted that
they reverted to exactly as they were the instant before they got petrified because magic

Unpopular opinion: I've been completely spoiled by how fast Compile Heart games are. I mean, yeah, they're budget affairs and a lot of the speed is due to travelling between 'places' being done via menu and lack of actual physically explorable towns (i.e. the games really are more visual novel with dungeons and combat than a traditional JRPG framework), but everything from startup logo barrage to combat animations to results screens are skippable. The games really respect not wasting your time if you don't want it to.

I've been spoiled by this too. Going back to other turn based/menu centric combat that moves slowly is difficult now.

Falk

that puzzling face
You know, FF8 Steam has an officially implemented frameskip/fast forward feature.

(GungHo pls)

jaina

I had terrible experiences with the ps2 version, although I'm not sure if emulation can fix some of its many performance issues.

Alright, thanks! PC version incoming.

aravuus

Yup. Wasn't a massive fan of Hyperdimension Neptunia otherwise, but I absolutely loved how snappy it was. Like you said, everything could be skipped and so on.

I usually play older JRPGs at ~1.5x speed, either with raising the framerate limit on an emulator or using Cheatengine's speed hack. Makes them a bit more enjoyable, though it obviously sometimes fucks up the music and other audio.

I just wish they would Remake the first one completly and use the Art Style of Ni No Kuni. :<

no thanks, I love the look of the first one.

what I'd like them to do is use the saturn version as a base for any port, and to translate grandia digital museum and bundle them together.

Those'd be quite a task so crossing my fingers that grandia 2 sells very well.

Top Bottom