• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphic Design |OT| Be, INdesign

SystemBug

Ah, can't believe I forgot to include that. Yeah, it's for school. It'll be getting pretty consistent use in my design classes for the next few years.

In that case I'd say go with what the professors recommend. a lot of the design tools that I really want to use such as Sketch for UI/UX prototyping are Mac exclusive. I use a windows laptop myself, but even then sometimes I wish I had the "other platform".

I know you want it also for gaming purposes and stuff but that might be something you may need to sacrifice.

those are just my two cents however

Dinjooh

Can any of you guys recommend good laptops for graphic design? I've got a soft budget of $1250 but would be willing to go up to $1500 if there were a good enough reason to do so.

Here's a more detailed post I made on Reddit looking for suggestions.

XPS 15 seems like a strong contender, but I want to get a better sense of the other options before I pull the trigger. Also figured it wouldn't hurt to get advice here since some of you guys do this for a living.

No clue what the costs of these laptops are, but i'm currently on a Macbook Pro late 2013 model and will be replacing it with either a XPS 15 or a Surface Book 2nd generation when that arrives. I haven't really found any other laptops that are good in this area.

In that case I'd say go with what the professors recommend. a lot of the design tools that I really want to use such as Sketch for UI/UX prototyping are Mac exclusive. I use a windows laptop myself, but even then sometimes I wish I had the "other platform".

I know you want it also for gaming purposes and stuff but that might be something you may need to sacrifice.

those are just my two cents however

The only programs required in my school's program are compatible with Windows, but I have tossed around the idea of getting a Mac due to the sheer number of designers I've heard recommend MBP Retina for the screen and the Mac-exclusive programs. I rarely game on my laptop, so that wouldn't be difficult to part with, and if I saved for a little while, I could definitely buy an MBP before the start of the Fall semester. That said, the price is still very hard to swallow.

Any other gaffers who can weigh in on this?

No clue what the costs of these laptops are, but i'm currently on a Macbook Pro late 2013 model and will be replacing it with either a XPS 15 or a Surface Book 2nd generation when that arrives. I haven't really found any other laptops that are good in this area.

If you don't mind me asking, what made you want to make the switch?

Dinjooh

The only programs required in my school's program are compatible with Windows, but I have tossed around the idea of getting a Mac due to the sheer number of designers I've heard recommend MBP Retina for the screen and the Mac-exclusive programs. I rarely game on my laptop, so that wouldn't be difficult to part with, and if I saved for a little while, I could definitely buy an MBP before the start of the Fall semester. That said, the price is still very hard to swallow.

Any other gaffers who can weigh in on this?

If you don't mind me asking, what made you want to make the switch?

Well, I got a MacBook in the first place only because the school i'm going to had a 'requirement' for it. (no access to the software, font libraries, printing or backup facilities if you didn't have OSX)

But after 2½ years with it i'm still not convinced that it's superior for me compared to Windows. I gave it a fair shot, but it's really not my thing. My workflow is a lot better on Windows and I feel the hardware is more fairly priced.

Haven't encountered any Mac exclusive software that i'm using on a daily basis so far either. I wouldn't mind the Noun Project App for Mac, but it's too pricey for me either way.

SystemBug

Oh yeah the retina is great. I always check my websites on Mac because they just end up looking better due to retina (better text anti-aliasing, colors, etc)

painey

so this is my very first logo in illustrator. love photoshop, but it's not for logos, and it's hard to adjust when everything in illustrator feels a lot worse to me, but this is my logo.
Ks85wjE.png

Any suggestions? I struggled with the blank space by the state and added the stars, but I am still unsure about them

Dinjooh

so this is my very first logo in illustrator. love photoshop, but it's not for logos, and it's hard to adjust when everything in illustrator feels a lot worse to me, but this is my logo.
Ks85wjE.png

Any suggestions? I struggled with the blank space by the state and added the stars, but I am still unsure about them

At a quick glance I'd say there's too much going on at once for my taste. Not that you shouldn't have all those elements, but they should work together more. I'd probably try with a more limited palette of colours and see what that would do for you. Try out using only a single stroke/line instead of your white/blue. Do you even need a box for the logo, would it be better if it were allowed to breathe?

I'm not usually too much into these myself, but try to look at hipster logos such as these, these and these for inspiration.

I don't know your workflow right now, but to get more accustomed to Illustrator make sure you always make a copy, so right now, copy what you got and work on doing some changes, then do another, and then another, and then another etc etc. You'll soon enough end up with 50-100 different logo versions, and hopefully a better one.

Looking for a photoshop alternative but not finding anything I like. Is the one time buy 'elements' any good?

What I'm looking for is a nonsubscription based photoshop that can do image/canvas resizing, print prep, and maybe some image color adjustment and maybe has some selection tools. Does Elements do all that? I'd hate to buy it and realize I was better off with the free alternatives (though they frustrate me).

Also, if I had a brother who had photoshop, and he only uses it on his one computer, would we be able to share another activation on mine? Any reason that wouldn't work?

Thanks for any advice on the matter.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So this is an odd question.

I am not a graphic designer, but I own a board game company, and as you can imagine requires a fair bit of very specific skill (it needs to look good, also needs to be functional for gameplay).

The biggest issue that I am running into is the cottage industry of board game graphic designers are primarily self taught and not professional graphic designers. Or it's a side job for them and not a full time gig and I wind up having a 2-3 month timeline turn into a 9 month timeline.

Finding freelance artists for things like box art and card art is relatively simple since I don't need the skillset of "functional graphics" and just "looks cool man" is sufficient for drawings.

So, any suggestions on where to find full-time freelancers for graphic design? I'm guessing video game graphic designers could figure out board games pretty easily, more an issue of getting someone with print experience (since printed detail and on screen detail/color vary).

Any websites out there that are a good resource that I can use?

SystemBug

Are you looking for illustration? Or stuff like logos? The design for the board itself?

Like is the goal to make the board look like Monopoly or The Game of Life? A lot of illustrators are also pretty good at design so it might be good to check there as well

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Are you looking for illustration? Or stuff like logos? The design for the board itself?

Like is the goal to make the board look like Monopoly or The Game of Life? A lot of illustrators are also pretty good at design so it might be good to check there as well

That's sort of the catch 22. Generally we want the games to look a little more photorealistic. So, some of what is considered "graphic design" in board games may not traditionally fall into that category.

A good example is something like this from one of our older games. Our graphic designer did everything except for the drawings on the cards and the box art.

fireandaxefooter.jpg

This one is a bit more stylized than most games which tend to look a bit more like maps or video game overworlds.

maeh2k

Just saw that fontshop is currently selling an Adrian Frutiger collection of thirty fonts for ~$60: http://createsend.com/t/y-4167794D3A949913

"a basic working collection of Neue Frutiger®, Serifa® and Linotype Didot®, as well as light and heavy weights of Avenir® Next, Icone™, Linotype Centennial®, Vectora®, and Univers® Next."

I'm not a graphics designer, but this feels like a pretty good deal.
I've never bought fonts, but I'm tempted.

Are those the Frutiger fonts you'd want, or are there any downsides to this selection?

And, most importantly, seeing how I don't technically need fonts, would I regret purchasing some over just looking for some non-professional free versions of popular fonts? :)

SystemBug

Just saw that fontshop is currently selling an Adrian Frutiger collection of thirty fonts for ~$60: http://createsend.com/t/y-4167794D3A949913

"a basic working collection of Neue Frutiger®, Serifa® and Linotype Didot®, as well as light and heavy weights of Avenir® Next, Icone™, Linotype Centennial®, Vectora®, and Univers® Next."

I'm not a graphics designer, but this feels like a pretty good deal.
I've never bought fonts, but I'm tempted.

Are those the Frutiger fonts you'd want, or are there any downsides to this selection?

And, most importantly, seeing how I don't technically need fonts, would I regret purchasing some over just looking for some non-professional free versions of popular fonts? :)
those are some damn good fonts

SystemBug

I'm a bit concerned about the selection of weights. For Neue Frutiger there's Regular, but no Light; for Avenir Next and Univers Next, there's Light but no Regular. The bold italic versions seem rather useless to me.
Damn I didn't pay attention to the notes . I guess it's still a decent price

Does anyone know of any tutorials for Illustrator that can make a pixelated look for a logo? I'm designing it from the ground up to look blocky and "low-res," but I want to use a pre-existing font. The only thing I can find is how to make a raster image look pixelated.

SystemBug

Does anyone know of any tutorials for Illustrator that can make a pixelated look for a logo? I'm designing it from the ground up to look blocky and "low-res," but I want to use a pre-existing font. The only thing I can find is how to make a raster image look pixelated.

if its pixelated you can just like create a lot of squares and match em up lol

Hello, I'm trying to get a graphic design job at my school so this week i made some relevant (fake) flyers and logos for a portfolio and was wondering if I could get some feedback. I've done a lot of work in photoshop and illustrator for years but haven't really went professional yet.

(only reason i chose these colors for the first flyer is cause thats the school's colors and they seem to like using them like this a lot)
this ones supposed to be a logo for a fake day care or something

Hello, I'm trying to get a graphic design job at my school so this week i made some relevant (fake) flyers and logos for a portfolio and was wondering if I could get some feedback. I've done a lot of work in photoshop and illustrator for years but haven't really went professional yet.

(only reason i chose these colors for the first flyer is cause thats the school's colors and they seem to like using them like this a lot)

Hey I think these are nice especially the Halloween one. Make sure you have an online portfolio to show people who hire.

These look pretty good, but I think you could pay some extra attention to your typography. The kerning in the Halloween poster is a bit inconsistent (see: the "DA" in dance, the "PA" in party, the "OW" in Halloween). The soccer tournament poster has also has some kerning issues, but they're much less noticeable.

And this is a bit of nitpick, but I think the Halloween poster could communicate the dance aspect a little more. I really dig the illustration though.

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask but I'm looking for someone to create a banner and logo for my wife's Etsy shop? The shop has been operating for about a month but trying to make it look a little more enticing.

Eccocid

Got bored on my long family visit/vacation. Decided to make some gifs everyday and trying to change style as much as i can.
J9Qh8tP.gif

s3Hdcnm.gif

iltnfVO.gif

hsZumj9.gif

OXPlFgN.gif

(last one is cinema4d :p )

SystemBug

Got bored on my long family visit/vacation. Decided to make some gifs everyday and trying to change style as much as i can.
J9Qh8tP.gif

s3Hdcnm.gif

iltnfVO.gif

hsZumj9.gif

OXPlFgN.gif

(last one is cinema4d :p )

thats some good shit dude!

i need to get into c4d. im a pretty good modeler but the rendering options in c4d are so much more I guess easier to use than 3dsmax

Eccocid

thats some good shit dude!

i need to get into c4d. im a pretty good modeler but the rendering options in c4d are so much more I guess easier to use than 3dsmax

Default renderer that comes with C4D is amazing and fast. For motion graphics it's more than enough. And it works great with After Effects. I used Max, Maya and Softimage back in school but switched to C4d after starting to work professionally.

The best thing is. IT NEVER CRASHES!

oh another one i did last night. With pretty basic shapes and post work with AE. I love old japanese anime title animations.

Ru4yzKW.gif

So I have an art degree that I planned to use for graphic design and I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing or what I should be looking for in a job.

SystemBug

So I have an art degree that I planned to use for graphic design and I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing or what I should be looking for in a job.

Do you have a portfolio? link it so we can critique it. A lot of graphic design is now switching over to digital forms such as product design as well. So you should have something like an app design that falls into UI design as well.

MrCow

Logo for a Gardening Company here in town.

"El Torito" means "Little Bull."

hyuhiJO.jpg

while i think the logo looks great .. i have to say i see no connection to being a gardening service, apart from the text at the bottom. when i just look at the logo i think of steak house that is also making deliveries to your house ;)

of course i don't know what your customer requested but i think with a little tweak it you could make connection to gardening: add flowers or trees under the bull, where the "books?" are right now.

also i think the tail looks a little bit weird being so round, bulls usually have a little patch of hair at the end.

otherwise i really like it, especially the colors you chose :)

while i think the logo looks great .. i have to say i see no connection to being a gardening service, apart from the text at the bottom. when i just look at the logo i think of steak house that is also making deliveries to your house ;)

of course i don't know what your customer requested but i think with a little tweak it you could make connection to gardening: add flowers or trees under the bull, where the "books?" are right now.

also i think the tail looks a little bit weird being so round, bulls usually have a little patch of hair at the end.

otherwise i really like it, especially the colors you chose :)

It's supposed to be a lawn mower with the tail kind of acting as the handle... but I'm reworking it to be more obvious. Thank you for the input.

The bull above the wordmark starts getting pretty close to the logo for the El Torito restaurant chain, especially in the monochrome versions.

I just looked them up, but don't really agree. There's only so much you can do with a silhouette of a bull, yet I think it's different enough to avoid any issue. Thank you for your comment.

That's pretty cool! I dig it. :)

Thanks! :)

RDreamer

It's a but disorganized but here.

I do forum signatures and post banners, but a lot of them use art that's not mine. Is that valid to put in a portfolio or should I only use my own art?

Graphic designers use others' art all the time, but you're going to want more real world examples of things to get looked at for a job. Business cards, brochures, logos, websites, that sort of stuff. You need things that directly apply to what you're applying for. You can't ask the hiring manager to make a huge stretch of imagination to figure out what you can or can't do on the job. So, unless you're applying for a job making forum signatures and post banners, those don't really count.

Edit: Yeah, that portfolio would get tossed in an instant if you were applying to a graphic design position. You need some real world examples of actual design. A lot of it. Graphic design is fucking competitive and there aren't terribly many jobs even open.

SystemBug

Edit: Yeah, that portfolio would get tossed in an instant if you were applying to a graphic design position. You need some real world examples of actual design. A lot of it. Graphic design is fucking competitive and there aren't terribly many jobs even open.

I also want to add to this. Quite a lot of the work you have just isn't good. I am sorry to say but you are going to need a lot more practice.

But learning design is not just about doing, but seeing what other people have done. What works, what doesn't.

Check out behance - https://www.behance.net/

and see what people are doing. Try emulating some of the stuff you see to create things which look professional and are aesthetically pleasing

Graphic designers use others' art all the time, but you're going to want more real world examples of things to get looked at for a job. Business cards, brochures, logos, websites, that sort of stuff. You need things that directly apply to what you're applying for. You can't ask the hiring manager to make a huge stretch of imagination to figure out what you can or can't do on the job. So, unless you're applying for a job making forum signatures and post banners, those don't really count.

What about if you are just starting out and have no real world examples, how will there be something to show if no one gives you a chance?

markstuckert

Neo Member
Hi!

I'm fairly new to NeoGAF so apologies if this post isn't applicable/is in the wrong place, but I've recently started a blog dedicated to graphic design in and around video games:

http://www.graphicgraphics.ca/

Maybe some of you will find it interesting, maybe not — regardless, apologies again if this isn't the correct way to post something like this, but I thought some of you might find it interesting.

Thanks very much!

RDreamer

What about if you are just starting out and have no real world examples, how will there be something to show if no one gives you a chance?

Do it yourself. Trust me, don't count on anyone to give you a chance in the field. As I said, everyone I've met in the field and everywhere I've seen has shown me that Graphic Design is a highly competitive field. You're going to be going up against some really amazing designers for very few positions, unfortunately. You've got to do it yourself if you can't find anything. Make up some brands. Create a sub shop. Make a web store. Create an app. Redesign some CD artwork. Do whatever, but make sure it's a real world example. Try to aim for what you'll be applying for.

I also want to add to this. Quite a lot of the work you have just isn't good. I am sorry to say but you are going to need a lot more practice.

But learning design is not just about doing, but seeing what other people have done. What works, what doesn't.

Yeah, I tend to think a lot of design is really just having an eye for it and being able to actually see when what you're doing is working or not. If you can look at your work and really truly think it wouldn't look out of place out in the real world in a magazine you pick up off the shelf or on a billboard at the side of the highway or something then you're good. If you have an inkling it isn't up to par, it probably isn't. My motto when I was in college was to keep polishing until whatever I was working on didn't look like I did it. I don't really mean that in a self deprecating way, really. A lot of good design looks naturally occurring. It looks like it belongs where it's at. It calls attention and yet blends in. If you're just starting out and it looks like you did it, it's probably not good.

SystemBug

Hi!

I'm fairly new to NeoGAF so apologies if this post isn't applicable/is in the wrong place, but I've recently started a blog dedicated to graphic design in and around video games:

http://www.graphicgraphics.ca/

Maybe some of you will find it interesting, maybe not — regardless, apologies again if this isn't the correct way to post something like this, but I thought some of you might find it interesting.

Thanks very much!

That's great! Checked out the blogs as well Mark as well as some of your work. DOPE!

Made some gift cards for a local Mexican Restaurant. It's their 30th year anniversary, for one, and they currently have the restaurant decked out in Catrinas and Sugar Skulls. Let me know your thoughts!

CtpQJmy.jpg

White_sox

Not sure if this was allowed or not, but anyone want to help me out with something?

I am coaching a Middle School basketball team and we need a logo for our shirts. Just something simple. I have a few ideas in mind, if you could help me out please PM or reply to my post.

I know graphic design is a job, but I hope you understand that I have no money to pay you, but you can take pride in knowing that my team will cherish your hard work.

Thanks,
White_sox

:)

Top Bottom