• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical effects that make a game look WORSE

30 FPS without Object Motion Blur
http://a.pomf.se/wcvksy.webm

30 FPS with Object Motion Blur
http://a.pomf.se/juksin.webm

60 FPS without Object Motion Blur
http://a.pomf.se/hrofgq.webm

60 FPS with Object Motion Blur
http://a.pomf.se/ljpogs.webm

120 FPS without Object Motion Blur
http://a.pomf.se/ochxow.webm

120 FPS with Object Motion Blur
http://a.pomf.se/lmrkgl.webm

You decide which you like.

edit: you need a pretty good computer to run most of these inspite of their 2MB size. I recommend right click download and playing back in MPC-HC if you hae problems.

vio

All effects are bad when used badly, simple as that. CA is most of the time used badly. Only games that i can think of using it good are The Order and Crysis 3.

Aren't fog/mist meant to make us harder to see things clearly? It's a weather effect that was unique to that particular location, so it's not like there is fog everywhere.

But yeah, I can't stand the motion blur in Type-0 HD. Unfortunate really, I wanted to like it. I don't recall the original psp version to have motion blur to that extent, so what the fuck.

While true, I was having issues being able to make out the UI and what not as well. Just made my eyes go funny.

M8QlpYX.jpg

Great post, and hooooly shit.

Palocca

Like others have said, FF Type-0 HD uses motion blur in such a horrendous way that it nearly makes the game unplayable for me. I can usually tolerate a lot of imperfections, but this is the first time I've ever gotten headaches from trying to play.

Concept17

With the haze you have a far more generic looking game, one in which its most distinct environments will often still manage to bleed into each other. Not consistency so much as just a drab overarching pallete. You can see it as artistic consistency or atmosphere, but shit, man, I've actually played through the game using Fellout, and it doesn't turn things 'generic' at all far as I can tell, nor does it do anything to betray the original nature or feel of the Wasteland. It just enhances visibility and cancels out the color correction.

I mean, you're not really of the impression that the thing that makes Fallout 3's art style distinct, distinguishable, unique, or appealing... is the green tint? I mean, Fallout is certainly ugly, but it's far from generic.

I didn't say it was distinct, distinguishable, unique, or appealing. Simply that without it you just have a really generic looking game. I understand there is more image clarity with the mod, and that's great, as stated before, the game is pretty ugly as it stands. And again, of those two images posted before, the one on the left still looks better, simply because of the obnoxious flare and completely generic looking assets. I'm sure you could post more proper shots of the mod that show why it is better? That would be preferable to that comparison shot. And going back to the OP, the haze is not the effect/reason for the game being ugly. It just is.

I don't mind chromatic aberration when it's used well. Destiny uses it well imo - you're constantly looking through a visor on your helmet, and it's ramped up for distortion when near powerful/significant enemy things.

sade

Banned
DOF because you f***ing developers doesn't know where I'm looking at the screen, stop pretending you know.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Nah, see, it's about Art Direction, not 'effects'.

You're just modding the game and remove the original, intended, art direction.

I'm not saying it's bad, but it's definitely part of the charm of Fallout 3/New Vegas.

Theres a thin line between "art direction" and "poor effects".

I've posted this many times in many places and I will continue to because I think it's a great example: RE5.

filter_comparison_by_aloooo81-d8kdgno.jpg

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels

I've posted this many times in many places and I will continue to because I think it's a great example: RE5.

Wow I really hate this shit. Just because The Matrix was a good movie doesn't mean you have to do this to your games.

Iscariot

i know i'm in the minority, but i actually like things like dust and dirt on the "lens" and CA and film grain, i think it makes for a more realistic image. something atmospheric and moody. i don't think zombiu would look near as nice as it does without those effects.

I'm with you, with the caveat it should fit tonally with the game. I mean a movie like "Fight Club" is technically bad looking by some metrics due to the bleach bypass they used. But it gives the movie it's particular look. It's an artistic choice.

I personally am less a fan of the propensity of an effect to become a trend in games and just litter the industry. The cel shading in Jet Set Radio Future for example is goddamn perfect for the kind of game and the subject matter, but I didn't need every game to start using that.

I remember a lot of Unreal 3 games had depth of field that looked like crap. Shift the camera a few degrees over and the person in your scope would be completely blurred out. Way too extreme.

EDIT: Oh, and the film grain in ME games. Holy crap, that's ugly. Film grain in films looks fine because it's very fine and delicate, but the film grain filter they use in ME is so big and blocky and low res that it looks like crap.

vg260

Motion blur. I always turn it off if possible.

Also pretty much any effect that attempts to make a game look like a movie.

I disagree with all the depth of field posts. I think when implemented properly it adds a great sense of, well, depth to games. I agree that if its overused it can get annoying, though. Same with motion blur, like another poster said it can add a great sense of speed to games like racers and some real sense of motion in third person games with lots of fighting. Although I can understand the frustration of having too much motion blur in first person shooters as that can obstruct your view.

Its all about the implementation, really. There's nothing wrong with the effects themselves.

I didn't say it was distinct, distinguishable, unique, or appealing. Simply that without it you just have a really generic looking game. I understand there is more image clarity with the mod, and that's great, as stated before, the game is pretty ugly as it stands. And again, of those two images posted before, the one on the left still looks better, simply because of the obnoxious flare and completely generic looking assets. I'm sure you could post more proper shots of the mod that show why it is better? That would be preferable to that comparison shot. And going back to the OP, the haze is not the effect/reason for the game being ugly. It just is.

fair enough, I might just do that when I get back from work. I have some captured footage I could screengrab. For now best I can do is pull more comparison images from the Fellout page which help to illustrate what I mean. (keep in mind the lens flare is added by a very old iteration of the mod from like 2009; now it only removes the filter iirc.) My bad, I didn't mean to put words in your mouth, I just personally believe that Fallout 3 has some visual merits in terms of world design and assets, despite its jank and technical ugliness (I've been playing modded for half a decade so my perspective might be a little skewed in that regard... :x). I can see how people could immediately prefer the first (and also the second) if just those pictures are their frame of reference. but the way I see it it's like, Stalker is a post apocalyptic wasteland setting too, with a pretty natural art style and look (and some questionable vanilla visuals), and I wouldn't make the argument that just throwing a green filter over it to disguise flaws in the art style and give it a really weakly thought out radioactive vibe would make for a better looking game in the end.

and here's just some images of what the world looks like when everything isn't green all the time

Yarbskoo

So many post process effects.

Color filters that try to create an atmosphere by making everything the same ugly shade of yellow, brown, gray, or green, and chromatic aberration that looks terrible and doesn't make any sense in the majority of titles it's used in. I'm fine with motion blur if it's not too heavy, but I'll turn off bloom almost every time I get an option for it, along with film grain. DOF can be great if used sparingly, but it's almost always overdone. God rays are almost always overdone too, but at least that's an effect that can actually be witnessed by the human eye under certain conditions.

Dust, rain, and blood on the screen can get annoying, but in certain first person games, the effect works to enhance immersion. Like many other things, Metroid Prime does this right.

adelante

Does Motion Blur counts?
Dont understand why games have it..

We see motion in real-life as smooth because our eyes perceives information continuously, well beyond the misconception of 30fps, 60fps, etc. I'm gonna quote dark10x from some old ass thread but it perfectly describes why motion blur is necessary:

As pointed out earlier, if you quickly move your mouse cursor back and forth on your monitor you'll notice that it only appears in certain places. Your eyes do not perceive the motion on a monitor in the same way. Motion blur interpolates between those points and creates the illusion of smoother motion.
Generally motion blur helps make transitions between frames look a lot smoother, although I agree some games tend to overdo it.

Timu

Destiny (and lots of other games nowadays): chromatic aberration. I honestly don't understand how this is supposed to be appealing. It's supposed to simulate a FAULT of lenses where they don't bring all wavelengths of light into focus at the same spot (look at the UI in the upper left for the clearest example):
This wins hands down.

wit3tyg3r

I'll never get why there are lens flare in games. I guess it was funny in the first game that did it.. now it's just stupid.

Lens flare is good if done stylistically, eg Mass Effect

It definitely works in certain games. Games like Mass Effect and any 3rd person game, really, make sense to have lens flares because the camera in those games act as real-world cameras, almost as if it's a movie being seen from the camera's perspective.

But if the game is first-person, it mostly doesn't make sense. Unless, of course, the player character is wearing some kind of visor that would distort the light coming through to their eyes.

With that being said, I've always been a sucker for lens flares. I don't like them to be too obnoxious (*cough* Battlefield 3 & 4 *cough*), but I don't mind them being used. I also don't hate J.J. Abrams' use of lens flares, so I may be a bit biased.

I hate CA in a lot of recent games, however as an effect it can look really nice. Sometimes however I find it makes things look too blurry and very 'videogamey' because it just looks so out of place. Especially games that try to look realistic or set a certain atmosphere like Alien: Isolation or the Bloodborne footage I've been seeing. It just makes things look less crisp and I hate it. It also reminds me of photoshop 'edits' of images where people add a red/green 3D effect along the sides of a cut-out image for extra effect. Looks bad most of the time and amateuristic.

On the flipside I kinda love bloom. It also has it's place and if it's blinding in a game like a shooter it can be annoying, however that effect of just bathing in the light is something I don't mind. I like it in the Wind Waker remake, just because that scorching sun in the open sea sets the right mood.

Remember the days when better graphics actually mean better graphics? I have never seen CA in a game yet, and I'm happy to keep it that way.

What are some other examples of chromatic aberration in games? I honestly wouldn't know if Destiny had CA right away unless I was told.

Here are a few examples:

GTA V
7qva2Jq.png

Lords of The Fallen
2RQQneV.png

Bloodborne
qFDXSZU.png

Destiny
3VrmfjC.png

Remember the days when better graphics actually mean better graphics? I have never seen CA in a game yet, and I'm happy to keep it that way.

Lol at my post directly after this post. Sorry XD

Horns

Vice City had a filter that blurred stuff. The Lost and Damned DLC had a grainy filter as well. I turned both off.

KHlover

Banned

water_cave2.jpg

Idk man, pic with filter seems to be closer to reality. That blue light without the filter is preeety bad.

Edit: Or is that what you wanted to express in the first place?

inm8num2

Bloom effects - giving everything a bright yellow/orange/red glow. It literally hurts my eyes and makes it more difficult to discern important details in the visuals.

Lijik

Chromatic Aberration and Film Grain are the worst.

There should always be a option to turn them off.

What gets me about these two is that they can amplify the art direction in the right contexts (grungy horror games for one as already mentioned), but most games just slap them on regardless of whether it fits the art direction or not

MadSexual

Idk man, pic with filter seems to be closer to reality. That blue light without the filter is preeety bad.
The problem is that the green filter paints the scene without regard to the source lighting, making it extremely unnatural. I agree about the blueness though. That stuck out to me as being equally off, though the scene itself is better balanced.

Goldrusher

realism

wt14dWq.jpg

+ chromatic aberration

nJZSGXJ.jpg

+ muted colors

6s4Jqxq.jpg

+ noise

6MczvD2.jpg

+ lens flares

ZErY7eP.jpg

+ piss filter

TmCyvWC.jpg

+ black bars

ZkTKoTA.jpg

+ motion blur

SRb7FzD.jpg

=

2015 video game

prag16

Banned
Film grain without a doubt. In VERY rare cases (ZombiU maybe) it can work. But usually it just makes everything look like shit.

kingwingin

I really hate in games when I'm looking into water and my characters arm or gun has a reflection silhouette of it in the water. Can they do something about that?

zsswimmer

Ive never even heard of chromatic aberration before this thread and honestly I cant even tell what it does from googling screenshots of it. Overused motion blur and bloom definitely is annoying though, like the bloom in Oblivion was just terribad.

Top Bottom