• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
That looks like it's loading a low res MipMap.
Could be just a bug or issue with the streaming system.
There is pop-in everywhere as you walk around a tiny fucking city or go through a small corridor.

My friend said this might be an older build so maybe they fix the pop-in but the asset quality and lighting will be the same.

Max said he played a demo of it months back, and the performance mode was terrible, really smudgy and blurry - he said it's been significantly improved in the latest demo. He also mentioned the foliage lacked movement and wasn't dynamic, also mentioned some texture streaming issues but not sure to what extent.

rofif

Banned
This is what a real next gen game looks like.

n5uKW6q.gif

S3AYy6h.gif
god hope not. AW2 is not a good example of anything. be it gameplay or graphics

winjer

Gold Member
Maybe but it doesn't load "better version" (if it exists) at all.

That is why I said it might be a bug with the streaming system.
If it was a matter of going over the amount of memory, eventually the streaming system would evict unused textures and load needed textures.
But if the streaming system cant manage properly what textures are needed and which aren't, it might just cause this issue.

SlimySnake

It genuinely wouldn't be exaggerating to say this looks WORSE than many ps2 games. SH2 and 3 look LEAGUES above this tripe. Fuckin square, dude.
I dont know about PS2 but it definitely has a very PS3.5 feel to it. i feel like we resolved a lot of these lighting, tesselation, and material quality issues as we moved from PS3 to PS4 and got that bigger vram pool.

like take this screenshot for instance. i dont think you can do this on a PS3 let alone a PS2 but it looks so flat compared to other UE4 PS4 titles like Hogwarts Legacy and Dead Island 2.

M3j1VEf.jpg

FF16 despite its issues still captures that CG look lacking from even the best Sony exclusives. only cyberpunk PT and AW2 PT come close to capturing that CG look and feel FF16 so effortlessly captures in both cutscenes and normal gameplay. Though not in all spots and thats why i said 90%. the desert area looks like shit and some interiors dont look too hot but the majority of story based missions looked gorgeous thanks to the consistent lighting and material quality. Maybe its all due to the color grading and not actual graphics rendering but i dont care. it has a pre-rendered look and materials still dont look as dated as FF7 rebirth.

77ewZMz.gif

ffxvi-final-fantasy-xvi.gif

HPueVvj.gif

HPRq0N9.gif

HPuG2Du.gif
God the volcano level and the benedikta fight blew. Me. Away. This and demon souls are still my next gen champions

SlimySnake

the gameplay is just ok, even poor at times, but graphically it is really good. i feel like arguing that is just going to damage ur credibility bro.
yeah im not a fan of what they did with the gameplay. especially the alan wake levels but my goodness the graphics are consistently phenomenal. I went to Brightfalls during day, dusk and night, and it looked amazing in each lighting condition. so many games have either poor midday lighting or poor night time lighting but this game nails every lighting condition.

benzy

If it's the same issue as VII Remake on PS4, then it's an issue with their "customized" UE4 which ran into memory constraints that won't load high-res assets and even got stuck with low LODs. They couldn't fix it until the PS5 port, so it's hilarious to see this again on the sequel with PS5 hardware now.

remake on ps4
final-fantasy-vii-remake-environment-graphics.large.jpg

For all the hate Forspoken got, it actually has way more competent assets and rendering for an open world in comparison lol, even with its poor environment art direction that felt very procedural. I'm still of the opinion the Luminous people are SE's most experienced engineers (some of them moved from FFXV to the Advanced Tech Division that helped out on XVI), it's just too bad their tech and engine people got stuck with game designers who didn't know what game they wanted to make.

resolution_FINAL_FANTASY_VII_REBIRTH_DEMO_20240206211721.jpg

Forspoken_20240206230156.jpg

FINAL_FANTASY_VII_REBIRTH_DEMO_20240206211545.jpg

Forspoken_20240207072710.jpg

icerock

I am not sure what is happening with Rebirth visuals, legit looks like some assets aren't loading correctly. Some horrid looking visuals all around.

GymWolf

Gold Member
FF16 despite its issues still captures that CG look lacking from even the best Sony exclusives. only cyberpunk PT and AW2 PT come close to capturing that CG look and feel FF16 so effortlessly captures in both cutscenes and normal gameplay. Though not in all spots and thats why i said 90%. the desert area looks like shit and some interiors dont look too hot but the majority of story based missions looked gorgeous thanks to the consistent lighting and material quality. Maybe its all due to the color grading and not actual graphics rendering but i dont care. it has a pre-rendered look and materials still dont look as dated as FF7 rebirth.

77ewZMz.gif

ffxvi-final-fantasy-xvi.gif

HPueVvj.gif

HPRq0N9.gif

HPuG2Du.gif
It has a lot of great locations, but not close to 90% of the time, let's be real.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Jesus Christ. The texture detail and LOD management is piss poor in Suicide Squad. The art style and lighting design is not bad but its shocking how basic and simple the game looks. Spiderman 2 looks a generation ahead in comparison and that game looks cross gen as fuck.

Timestamped:

I think the 60 fps brigade should look at games like this and realize that this is the cost of 60 fps. You dont get next gen visuals like you did back in 2015 Arkham Knight.

Turns out setting your game permanently at night in a rain storm with puddles and neon everywhere hides a lot of open World issues. Who knew!

SlimySnake

It has a lot of great locations, but not close to 90% of the time, let's be real.
Fine. 80%. or 70%. Point is the game can look legit amazing at times.

I was too harsh on it when it came out. I remember saying it looked like a PS3 game at times.

FF7 Rebirth has made me see the error of my ways. My heartfelt apologizes to the FF16 devs.

Same goes for the starfield open world. I said it looked like a PS3 game but after playing FF7, i dont know wtf i was smoking.

iC5RRiE.gif

qt0KJyN.gif

rofif

Banned
After all this talk about FFXVI I revisited the the demo and it blowed me away, I forgot how good this game can look. Game is full of tessellation and great textures, looks like folks at Square forgot what PS5 can do:

DgUQ5n8.jpg

cuRmugd.jpg

Q3AIGSa.jpg
B1L6RO6.jpg

4d6vU68.jpg

OTycudo.jpeg

XNSQHYv.jpg

4ZHRjQ4.jpg

Generation difference in some aspects.
Looks broken. Txtures are not loading for sure.
and ff16 looks amazing as always

ckstine

yeah im not a fan of what they did with the gameplay. especially the alan wake levels but my goodness the graphics are consistently phenomenal. I went to Brightfalls during day, dusk and night, and it looked amazing in each lighting condition. so many games have either poor midday lighting or poor night time lighting but this game nails every lighting condition.
I think the shooting was fine, but alan's puzzle solving wasn't ever challenging or intriguing, it was just annoying and slowed the pace down. It's definitely a game that thinks it's really smart and lynchian, but if you have ever seen like twin peaks or lost highway, you can tell that it is just a cheap imitation. It's sad, but I still think the vast majority of games aren't really quite there yet in terms of story. I think it's because movies can show you anything they want, whereas games have to turn it into gameplay. The best thing they did in the game was the projected fmv's in the musical level, even if the music was kinda annoying/cringe/hair-metal. The story just wasn't original or interesting, and it really felt like budget twin peaks/return/x-files. Even a bit of NBC hannibal in there.

GymWolf

Gold Member
SlimySnake SlimySnake more like 50% of the time.

Can't wait for this thing to come out so i don't have to see 5 topics in first page for this turd anymore.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

Lol just downloaded and played the FFVII demo. Fuck me, the hype is true. It looks absolutely atrocious. It's not that it looks bad for a next gen game: it looks bad for a LAST gen game. Even in fidelity mode. The resolution in performance mode is an absolute joke, though. It looks a bit like a PS3 game but with good AA.

What the hell is going on?!

SlimySnake

Just finished watching the ND documentary. Some thoughts as they relate to next gen graphics fidelity.

- They truly do care about pushing next gen tech. Through out the behind the scenes footage, pushing graphics and being better than everyone else was basically a given.
- Motion matching, volumetric fog, foliage density, bigger levels were all being referred to as next gen features. they wanted to push the PS4 hardware to its limits.
- They admitted to faking the E3 2018 demo but they thought they would be able to put all of that stuff into the final game. They got some of it in, but not all of it.
- The talent is still clearly there. I see the same faces i saw in the first TLOU doc. It's the same dudes and women leading the charge. I refuse to believe they have let their standards slide. I truly believe that TLOU part 1 was an aberration. And their next game will be a huge next gen leap.

It seems its taking this long because they were working from home until recently, and they seem to have stopped crunch. Also the studio is very poorly run with no managers or producers and that was basically the theme of the doc. I think they will eventually release a game, but whenever it comes out, it will look like nothing we've seen. im sure of it.

Lastly, they read forums. Forums, not twitter or reddit. Forums. Especially neogaf and era. So they are probably reading us bitch about them calling them has beens and hacks lol. It looks like they take this stuff personally so they will definitely try and silence their doubters. And im all for it.

Last edited:
Lastly, they read forums. Forums, not twitter or reddit. Forums. Especially neogaf and era. So they are probably reading us bitch about them calling them has beens and hacks lol. It looks like they take this stuff personally so they will definitely try and silence their doubters. And im all for it.
That’s the sort of attitude u gotta have and we need more of. Instead of bitching go out and prove the haters wrong.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Just finished watching the ND documentary. Some thoughts as they relate to next gen graphics fidelity.

- They truly do care about pushing next gen tech. Through out the behind the scenes footage, pushing graphics and being better than everyone else was basically a given.
- Motion matching, volumetric fog, foliage density, bigger levels were all being referred to as next gen features. they wanted to push the PS4 hardware to its limits.
- They admitted to faking the E3 2018 demo but they thought they would be able to put all of that stuff into the final game. They got some of it in, but not all of it.
- The talent is still clearly there. I see the same faces i saw in the first TLOU doc. It's the same dudes and women leading the charge. I refuse to believe they have let their standards slide. I truly believe that TLOU part 1 was an aberration. And their next game will be a huge next gen leap.

It seems its taking this long because they were working from home until recently, and they seem to have stopped crunch. Also the studio is very poorly run with no managers or producers and that was basically the theme of the doc. I think they will eventually release a game, but whenever it comes out, it will look like nothing we've seen. im sure of it.

Yup. I was so happy to hear that one dude say "we're fucking Naughty Dog, it has to be best in class".

Neil saying it has to be the best looking, best playing, best controlling and most emotional game in the industry. No one else has that mindset.

Their next game will be a looker, but TLOU 3... good lord. Something truly special is cooking. No one else like them in the industry.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
These two TLOU2 gifs are from an area much bigger than the areas in the FF7 demo. This is not a fake corridor. both these areas are massive 1-2 km long. Still look a generation over FF7 rebirth.

eOn4Y5k.gif

FGl2Yct.gif
how the fuck do you capture this? and so big? and such high quality? what program? WTF

I just beat it again last night and its still right there with the best of this gen. Worse in a few indiviudal areas but overall... not really.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

how the fuck do you capture this? and so big? and such high quality? what program? WTF

I just beat it again last night and its still right there with the best of this gen. Worse in a few indiviudal areas but overall... not really.
Gifcam.

Had to make it big because my 4k 30 fps ps5 capture was adding all kinds of jaggies if i made them too small.

Trick is to export the ps5 video using usb instead of through YouTube which destroys the image quality. That’s why i kept saying my Callisto and Spider-Man gifs don’t look as good as they do on my TV.

Stop oversaturating your games! Looks so wrong but you PC guys love to do this for some reason...
They will remove all color grading and screen effects, then crank up the saturation, and then finally say ‘this game doesn’t look as good as everyone says!’ after doing this :messenger_tears_of_joy:

When console players used to bring up the ‘PC-look’ as a criticism, that is what they meant.

It’s why I prefer the PC screenshots in here that simply crank everything to max to show off a game’s greatness in presentation. I feel like those posters understand there’s more to a game’s style than textures and lighting.

Last edited:

GooseMan69

It has surely been surpassed on a purely technical level, but as an overall visual package, as in what a game actually looks like as I’m playing on my TV…it’s STILL the king imo. Mostly due to strong art direction. It’s just such a fucking triumph in that regard.

Hunnybun

I finally bought Spider-Man 2 last night. I think the game looks really excellent. It's probably a similar kind of jump as HFW was from Zero Dawn. Obviously it looks superficially similar to the first game, but everything from the density of the traffic, the quality of the assets, the lighting, the reflections, the foliage, the draw distance, have all been bumped up enough that for me it really feels like a next gen game. The first game only really looked good when swinging around - it all fell apart a bit at street level. That's definitely not the case now: if I had to describe it I'd say the whole city now looks as good as that bit at the start of Miles Morales when you're walking through the street market with Ganke.

To do all that and have the fidelity mode run at ~50fps and close to 4k with high quality RT - whether you agree with prioritising such a high resolution/frame rate or not - is in a different league from what most other developers are managing.

shamoomoo

That’s the sort of attitude u gotta have and we need more of. Instead of bitching go out and prove the haters wrong.
Except,that isn't the right way to go about things, naysayers act the way they do because they can and aren't skeptical of the things they are against.

hlm666

well said. anyone know what happened to mid gen refresh? that guy was cool
Banned till 19th feb, not sure why. The Ban page says lay off the drugs lol. He sure has a damn fine eye for taking screenshots though so hope we see him back posting more in the future.

yamaci17

gameplay is fine imo people give some over reaction to it
it is just enough for the presentation, nothing over the top or nothing impressive but just enough
i'd say game would benefit from more combat encounters

Senua

Gold Member
it is just enough for the presentation, nothing over the top or nothing impressive but just enough
I agree, the first Alan Wake was pretty much nonstop combat. People gave it shit at the time and it did get repetitive but I think 2 may have dialed it back a little too much. Don't get me wrong, just walking through the forests and soaking up the stunning visuals and atmosphere is right up my alley anywho

Toots

Gold Member
It genuinely wouldn't be exaggerating to say this looks WORSE than many ps2 games. SH2 and 3 look LEAGUES above this tripe. Fuckin square, dude.
Channel 4 Lol GIF by Hollyoaks

This is silent hill 2 on ps2

even with all the cherrypicked screenshots on the thread only a terminally insane person would genuinely think rebirth looking anywhere near or worse than this.

Last edited:

Fbh

Man the Rebirth demo was such a disappointment.
I honestly wouldn't mind the low res textures, low poly elements and bad pop in if at least it looked nice and sharp. But this has to be one of the blurriest games I've tried on Ps5, some parts actually reminded me of playing a Switch game, obviously with much higher quality assets and lighting but still with that distinct low resolution look.

I still have FF7R 1 installed on my Ps5 and it honestly looks more impressive with the nice sharp image at 60fps, I'm not even seeing any major downgrades compared to the 7 rebirth demo and it's not even like the prologue from the demo is open world or anything.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

Channel 4 Lol GIF by Hollyoaks

This is silent hill 2 on ps2

even with all the cherrypicked screenshots on the thread only a terminally insane person would genuinely think rebirth looking anywhere near or worse than this.

Yeah obviously that's a bit crazy. I do genuinely think it looks worse than a PS4 game though. It certainly looks worse than any game I've played since I got my Pro like 6 years ago.

yamaci17

I honestly wouldn't mind the low res textures, low poly elements and bad pop in if at least it looked nice and sharp. But this has to be one of the blurriest games I've tried on Ps5, some parts actually reminded me of playing a Switch game, obviously with much higher quality assets and lighting but still with that distinct low resolution look.

I still have FF7R 1 installed on my Ps5 and it honestly looks more impressive with the nice sharp image at 60fps, I'm not even seeing any major downgrades compared to the 7 rebirth demo and it's not even like the prologue from the demo is open world or anything.
give them an inch and they'll take a mile

digital foundry, most people here. all of you people accepted TAA as a necessary evil. it was acceptable as long as developers optimized games enough with sample counts to present a somewhat acceptable image quality, at least at 4k.

but developers now discovered that casuals don't even care about how blurry the games can get. the cat is out of the bag. it will only get worse.

and a day will come, all of you will join the taa hate bandwagon.

"let sleeping dogs lie" mentality can only go on for so long. at some point the dog will wake up, chase you and bite you. those days are coming. very fast.

you people didn't understand that TAA was a button that is labeled "optimize" the game. it meant that the optimizations that can be done in other departments that wouldn't hurt the image quality now can be done with the "more aggresive TAA" button that developers can ENDLESSLY press. the more they press, the blurrier image will become. the more people accept it, the less they will optimize on other departments and the more they will press that button.

we can all thank "digital foundry" for thinking TAA is a smart optimization tool that allowed devs to push higher and higher graphics and a necessity with deferred rendering. I'm sure they will happy to play 720p-like image quality in games by 2026 at 4K.

i hope they press it more and more to a point 4k has the clarity of a 480p PS2 game. they can do that, you know. they have the power. all they would need is to press it more. and if %80 of casuals buy their game and find image quality acceptable, people here will be livid. maybe then so called "digital foundry" will find the courage to blame devs for being "lazy" finally.

Last edited:

Slimboy Fat

Casuals have no idea about phrases such as "resolution" "upscaling" "anti-aliasing" "framerate" etc. They just know Call of Duty feels good to play and Ps5 exclusives with HDR look good on their TV

ckstine

Casuals have no idea about phrases such as "resolution" "upscaling" "anti-aliasing" "framerate" etc. They just know Call of Duty feels good to play and Ps5 exclusives with HDR look good on their TV
I don't know a single person who doesn't know what resolution is dude

Toots

Gold Member
Yeah obviously that's a bit crazy. I do genuinely think it looks worse than a PS4 game though. It certainly looks worse than any game I've played since I got my Pro like 6 years ago.
This i can understand.
Not any games though but some ps4pro games (TLOU 2 of course comes to mind) looked better than this demo, but i also really think it is not representative of the graphical quality of the full game. I think we're in for a visual treat, as every trailer square put out showed us. I believe in this game on a graphical and most of all on a narrative stand point. I don't know why really but its gonna be special, i feel it in my guts.

I also believe there's a martian sitting on the top of the world, so take my predictions with a grain of salt.

SlimySnake

I agree, the first Alan Wake was pretty much nonstop combat. People gave it shit at the time and it did get repetitive but I think 2 may have dialed it back a little too much. Don't get me wrong, just walking through the forests and soaking up the stunning visuals and atmosphere is right up my alley anywho
I think Saga's combat to exploration ratio is fine. Alan's on the other hand is just off. His puzzles just dont feel as rewarding and game ends up feeling like an experimental indie game whenever you are not playing as Saga.

yamaci17

I think Saga's combat to exploration ratio is fine. Alan's on the other hand is just off. His puzzles just dont feel as rewarding and game ends up feeling like an experimental indie game whenever you are not playing as Saga.
have u finished the game btw?

SlimySnake

I have a few theories:

1) They treated it as DLC. I have been calling out their decision to not change or update character models, but now it's making more and more sense. This is DLC in all but name only.
2) It's a last gen engine with no upgrades whatsoever to handle the larger areas or foliage etc. And it is simply not able to handle these areas without having to lower resolution from native 4k to 1440p evne in the 30 fps mode.
3) Open world and semi-open world UE4 games like Days Gone, Gears of War 5, Atomic Heart Dead Island 2, Star wars, Gotham Knihgts and even Suicide Squad dont look this bad. This is just poor engineering by C tier devs who either werent given enough time or just didnt care.
4) Lastly, this is an old build and the final game looks much better.

Honestly, i think the combat is really bad too. You cant see shit. Its pulled too far back, and its very hard to attack who you want to attack. The whole game feels unpolished as fuck. Its not just the graphics.

yamaci17

I have a few theories:

1) They treated it as DLC. I have been calling out their decision to not change or update character models, but now it's making more and more sense. This is DLC in all but name only.
2) It's a last gen engine with no upgrades whatsoever to handle the larger areas or foliage etc. And it is simply not able to handle these areas without having to lower resolution from native 4k to 1440p evne in the 30 fps mode.
3) Open world and semi-open world UE4 games like Days Gone, Gears of War 5, Atomic Heart Dead Island 2, Star wars, Gotham Knihgts and even Suicide Squad dont look this bad. This is just poor engineering by C tier devs who either werent given enough time or just didnt care.

Honestly, i think the combat is really bad too. You cant see shit. Its pulled too far back, and its very hard to attack who you want to attack. The whole game feels unpolished as fuck. Its not just the graphics.
all of this exposes the incapability of proper texture streaming of their engine. last of us was similar, forspoken is similar on PC. either u have enough vram or game freaks out and loads n64 textures out of pressure. this is just insane. some of these engines have no scalability at all. they should evolve and fix this stuff. it even hurt ps5 at some point with this game. it is clear the engine is running into a vram limitation and acts like how 8 gb cards act on forspoken

look at something like avatar: even on a 6 gb gpu with ray tracing baseline, you don't get n64 textures anywhere. same with alan wake 2. it is possible to make game scales better when vram limited and many engines and developers proved it. the way these stupid engines handle it makes me question what the hell are they doing.

while advancing graphics, it is also possible to make engines more accesible and adaptable for all kinds of hardware. it is really stupid to target fixed vram budgets especially considering the budgets we currently have are more than enough to cycle stuff in and out in a dynamic way

Hunnybun

I have a few theories:

To expand on theory 3: it's a Japanese game. How often do we really get truly cutting edge graphics from there now? Obviously it's a spectrum, but on average their games look much worse. Rise of the Ronin is another joke of an effort "next gen" game.

Top Bottom