• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

CGNoire

Amy Henning doesn't come across as a liar and I highly doubt she would throw her new studio under the bus with all those claims.
Hmmmm maybe. Ive seen very similar from The Order bts reveals where they made the same claims and the final product looked like vasaline in comparison.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Nonsense. Jedi Survivor looks way better on PC. You know that.
jedi survivor is a UE4 game.

I am talking about UE5 games.

Also on consoles, star wars uses all the RT features like RTGI, reflecitons and shadows. Nothing is left out aside from some downgrades to settings like shadows, AF etc that you get in virtually every game.

Last edited:

CGNoire

It really doesn't. It looks cleaner because of poor FSR implementation on consoles, but it doesn't look much better.
Idk I played it at native 4k downsampled to 1080p plasma and it was alot better looking to my eyes unless Im remembering wrong.

I know some think its just resolution but for alot of modern engines upping the resolution also effects a bunch of other settings dealing with lod or shadow transitions, even shader quality in some titles.

SlimySnake

JXPRVup.gif
imagine an AC game set in europe again. This looks like the next gen AC Unity ive always wanted.

I wouldnt be surprised if the AC teams comes very close. They used to be animation kings back in the day. I wouldnt be surprised if the next AC game wins Graphics GOTY this year. Its set in Japan though. Not sure how big the cities were back in 16th century japan.

Last edited:

Edder1

Idk I played it at native 4k downsampled to 1080p plasma and it was alot better looking to my eyes unless Im remembering wrong.

I know some think its just resolution but for alot of modern engines upping the resolution also effects a bunch of other settings dealing with lod or shadow transitions, even shader quality in some titles.
I watched DF videos and I don't see where PC version looks significantly better beyond looking cleaner. PC version is also a stuttery mess. Also with patches they cleaned up the image somewhat on consoles.

Last edited:

CGNoire

The Order 1886 is one of the most impressive looking games last gen, I don't get your point. Digital Foundry spike highly of it and as did NX Gamer.
I wasnt talking down about it visuals. Im just pointing out that ive still heard the tech team use a PC amd phrases like no cheats before . They where showing off some cool guns with tons of details that are just smeared completly away during actual gameplay. The tech demo was shown on a PC and they used alot of the same phrasing as this.

I want to be clear. Im not saying this wont be what it looks like. It very well may.Im just saying we still are shy of proof. I dont like excessive hype based on promises no matter the source.

In 2024 devs lying to gamers is the rule not the exception.

Edder1

I wasnt talking down about it visuals. Im just pointing out that ive still heard the tech team use a PC amd phrases like no cheats before . They where showing off some cool guns with tons of details that are just smeared completly away during actual gameplay. The tech demo was shown on a PC and they used alot of the same phrasing as this.

I want to be clear. Im not saying this wont be what it looks like. It very well may.Im just saying we still are shy of proof. I dont like excessive hype based on promises no matter the source.

You reek of pessimism. Not everyone in the industry lies. I would say most games turn out to be more or less same as their trailers. It's only some big AAA games that left sour taste in people's mouths.

Last edited:
imagine an AC game set in europe again. This looks like the next gen AC Unity ive always wanted.

I wouldnt be surprised if the AC teams comes very close. They used to be animation kings back in the day. I wouldnt be surprised if the next AC game wins Graphics GOTY this year. Its set in Japan though. Not sure how big the cities were back in 16th century japan.

You guys are still getting so excited over real time cutscenes ...I know it's impressive and will translate to impressive gameplay visuals but we need to keep our expectations in check a bit because gameplay will not look this good. It never does.

In theory this will translate to next gen gameplay. Btw why are we assuming console will get these ue 5.4 features? Has that been confirmed?

JCreasy

Imagine Final Fantasy with Unreal Engine 5.

I feel kinda bad for what I’m about to say next.

Imagine if Insomniac were using Unreal Engine 5 for Wolverine. They would unquestionably hit their Hellblade 2 target. As it stands, we can’t be sure they will.

If ND and SMS don’t match or exceed this, I will be disappointed. I will be so pissed.

SlimySnake

You reek of pessimism. Not everyone in the industry lies. I would say most games turn out to be more or less same as their trailers. It's only some big AAA games that left sour taste in people's mouths.
hes right to be skeptical. insomniac went on twitter and said the first Spiderman 2 trailer with the same fancy smoke effects and movie quality lighting was realtime and in game. Amy was fired from Uncharted 4 just two months before ND released that bullshit so-called relatime uncharted 4 demo running at 1080p 60 fps no less. GG released that HFW teaser that looked way better than the final release. Even Avatar had that OG ingame trailer they clearly faked.

The big difference here is that Amy went behind the scenes on this and showed an actual level running on PC and the game is coming out next year so i highly doubt they will downgrade it much. at least on pc where cg and i will play this game.

You guys are still getting so excited over real time cutscenes ...I know it's impressive and will translate to impressive gameplay visuals but we need to keep our expectations in check a bit because gameplay will not look this good. It never does.

In theory this will translate to next gen gameplay. Btw why are we assuming console will get these ue 5.4 features? Has that been confirmed?
No idea. I dont know why it wouldnt. A lot of this is just engine upgrades everyone makes through out the generation. just compare the water in HFW to the trashy water in HZD. besides, if you watch the tech demo, they show you how the tesselation is basically very cheap now due to the new way they are rendering it. So if anything, its designed for consoles in mind.

Last edited:
Spider Man 3 has some huge shoes to fill after 1943. If it’s PS6 I can see it being respectable but if it’s cross gen or even just PS5 on launch I don’t know how much insomniac can push visuals.

Not that you can’t improve greatly from SM2, just that I’m skeptical of the talent and effort at insomniac for the 3rd iterative sequel

Last edited:

Edder1

hes right to be skeptical. insomniac went on twitter and said the first Spiderman 2 trailer with the same fancy smoke effects and movie quality lighting was realtime and in game. Amy was fired from Uncharted 4 just two months before ND released that bullshit so-called relatime uncharted 4 demo running at 1080p 60 fps no less. GG released that HFW teaser that looked way better than the final release. Even Avatar had that OG ingame trailer they clearly faked.

The big difference here is that Amy went behind the scenes on this and showed an actual level running on PC and the game is coming out next year so i highly doubt they will downgrade it much. at least on pc where cg and i will play this game.
Amy was already long on her way out before they released that trailer. And like you said, they went on and released that trailer after she left even though they could have easily dropped the framerate to 30fps. Nothing to do with Amy that one. Ubisoft is not a good example, they always fake their demos, it's known.

If you look at percentage then vast majority of games don't use fake visuals, but there's that perception because some high profile games have done it. I'm not saying not to be sceptical, but some people are downright dismissive and act like this gen we will be stuck Spiderman 2 visuals. At least have some hope because we know current gen hardware can do better.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Imagine if Insomniac were using Unreal Engine 5 for Wolverine. They would unquestionably hit their Hellblade 2 target. As it stands, we can’t be sure they will.

If ND and SMS don’t match or exceed this, I will be disappointed. I will be so pissed.
nah, ive been saying this for a while. There is just no need for devs to individually reinvent the wheel with every game especially now with games taking forever. And especially with insomniac who for some reason are given just 2 years to make a game even though they are the most productive of the sony first party portfolio.

insomniac is also implementing effectively the same graphics features we are seeing here for Wolverine. See below. They will eventually get there. I just dont see the need to do all this leg work when UE5 has already done it. Or if they dont want to pay UE5 royalties then just use Decima as one shared engine across all the studios and everyone at Sony first party gets the benefits of each other's work without having to start from scratch. For example, the fluid dynamics system insomniac says they will investigate has already been in UE since UE4 and motion matching was already implemented by ND in 2020. Work smart, not hard.

omhl7omm9y9c1.png

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Spider Man 3 has some huge shoes to fill after 1943. If it’s PS6 I can see it being respectable but if it’s cross gen or even just PS5 on launch I don’t know how much insomniac can push visuals.

Not that you can’t improve greatly from SM2, just that I’m skeptical of the talent and effort at insomniac for the 3rd iterative sequel
They have the talent, they just dont have the time. They wil be releasing 5 games in the next 6 years. Expect incremental improvements going forward. I think Venom will look virtually identical, Wolverine will look better on par with say Alan Wake 2, while Spiderman 3 will look like the original Spiderman 2 reveal because it will likely be a PS6 cross gen title.

insomniac-future-games-roadmap-leaks-x-men-game-v0-iqkwfhgw077c1.jpeg

They have that same tech director showing up at all the DF interviews going back to Miles then Ratchet and now Spiderman 2. he's had to do R&D all these new features like ray tracing, faster traversal, portal tech, and support for higher traffic and NPC density while shipping 3 games in the last three years. There was an ND engineer who had also worked for Rockstar as a graphics programmer who pointed out how one team in charge of programming climbing or crawling animations over at rockstar is like 30 graphics programmers strong, while the entire graphics team over at ND was 30 people. these sony studios are still relatively small and poor insomniac doesnt get 5-6 years like SSM, GG, Sucker Punch, Bend and ND do so we see slow incremental improvements instead of the giant leaps we see from other sony studios. Or used to anyway.

CGNoire

You reek of pessimism.
I have every right too considering the history. Overhyping seems to be the usual goto around here (not nessessarily this thread) so its only makes sense that you all create me. There has to be balance.

If it makes you feel any better Im leaning toward what we saw being the games "geniune" cutscene graphics...just trying to keep hype at bay as well. Call me when they show gameplay.

Last edited:

Musilla

Who are these people and where can we find where they said this
Someone I know and is aware of some things in the industry, it is not a confirmation but in his environment (journalist) it is suspected that it could be that type of game.

Literal words "The most widespread suspicion is that it is a narrative adventure, without gameplay or at most something like QuanticDream"

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
They will exceed it. R* and ND are the two devs you can GUARANTEE stunning looking games from, Santa Monica is right below them. They literally say "We are Naughty Dog, whatever we make has to be either best in class or the very best period" in their most recent documentry. They are ambitious and take their reputation seriously. Watch the Grounded TLOU 2 documentry, gave me a brand new sense of hype for their next project.

Last edited:

Audiophile

AC: Red and the "AC Pipeline" engine is rumoured to be using "virtual geometry" which I expect means virtualised microgeometry. So we may get our wish.

Looks like next-gen finally done turned up.

Someone I know and is aware of some things in the industry, it is not a confirmation but in his environment (journalist) it is suspected that it could be that type of game.

Literal words "The most widespread suspicion is that it is a narrative adventure, without gameplay or at most something like QuanticDream"
Skydance New Media is not a really big studio, i think they have something like 50 employees working at the studio.

So yeah a game like Heavy Rain could make more sense for them rather than an action aventure game.

It probably won’t look like this on consoles. But I’m sure if you have like a 4090 it will right?

I’ve been saying current engines are too old to look “next gen”. UE5 has nanite (to provide CGI levels of geometry) and lumen (less expensive “path tracing”), meta human is awesome too.

JCreasy

They will exceed it. R* and ND are the two devs you can GUARANTEE stunning looking games from, Santa Monica is right below them. They literally say "We are Naughty Dog, whatever we make has to be either best in class or the very best period" in their most recent documentry. They are ambitious and take their reputation seriously. Watch the Grounded TLOU documentry, gave me a brand new sense of hype for their next project.

This is good shit.

I want them to feel the pressure.

Imagine Bend debuting an Unreal Engine 5 project and stomping the vets. I was never a fan of Days Gone, but I remember it being an Unreal project. Bend is an Unreal friendly studio. Leveraging Unreal Engine 5 would help them leap frog their peers. No more "little bro" status. (Shit, Sucker Punch should consider this as well).

The PlayStation Studio vets should feel the anxiety of this reality. I hope it keeps them up at night. The bench squad could easily take their starting spot.

Amy practically did that today. Amy Hennig emerged from obscurity and dunked on all of PlayStation Studio’s gen 9 output. That happened.

Reminds me of the saying: "If you're not getting better, you're getting worse."

Complacency is the biggest threat to PlayStation Studios. I just hope they realize that. I want them to realize this.

It was recently rumored that Apple is talking to Google and OpenAI about using their tech to power the AI features planned for iOS 18. Apple recognized they're behind in the category. Complacency has crept in. Smartly, they're dropping the ego and pivoting. They're going to use the tech of a competitor. They have to. And they'll likely stick with this approach until they're able to build something better.

There's a lesson here for PlayStation Studios. Whoever operates as the CTO to Hulst needs to call the studios on the carpet and make them showcase what their engines can do. If they can't beat Unreal Engine 5, they should be forced to use Unreal Engine 5. In fact, you can't use your own engine UNTIL it can beat Unreal Engine 5.

I'm serious.

Think of the time and energy it takes for each individual studio to iterate and develop their own tools. And we're still forced to wait years between game releases. That TIME is what's bloating up development costs. If their engines are mediocre and they're still figuring out how to find parity with the latest graphics features, that lag is costing real money. At this point, it would make sense to just pay Epic their licensing fee.

I'm gonna say it.

Imagine if God of War: Ragnorak had been developed with Unreal Engine 5. Yes, the art direction, the gameplay -- all of that still belongs to SMS talent and hard work. No question. But the FIDELITY. That aspect could have been better. And it should've been better.

And when I see games like 1943, I know it would've been better if it had leveraged Nanite and Lumen.

There's no shame in using 3rd party tools. If it makes the game better, that's all that matters.

Last edited:
Don't think we'll be getting much better than 1943 visuals from this point onwards, this already looks pre-rendered and UE5 is ahead of everyone. I'm sure they'll be improvements in things like animations and physics, but I bet this is pretty much the visual bar for this gen. Expect subtle improvements, nothing mindblowing. I'm super cool with that since this already looks pre-rendered and very impressive for what I want for this gen.
Except we might get lucky and UE5 or UE6 might get nanite for skeletal meshes, and then probably infinite geometry hollywood cg characters may become usable in game.
their spider man and venom symbiote skin looked blurry as f, I don't know how they thought that was acceptable to ship.

SlimySnake

There's a lesson here for PlayStation Studios. Whoever operates as the CTO to Hulst needs to call the studios on the carpet and make them showcase what their engines can do. If they can't beat Unreal Engine 5, they should be forced to use Unreal Engine 5. In fact, you can't use your own engine UNTIL it can beat Unreal Engine 5.
Preach.

A small no name 50 person studio shouldnt be taking a giant shit on first party efforts from either MS or Sony. Especially Sony since we know they had the talent all this time.

setoman

setoman

OH MY GOD. That is the most amazing fucking thing ive ever seen. This is what I expected from next gen games. I am so fucking glad its Amy fucking henning after what ND did to her. UE5 is the real deal. The cutscenes, the smoke effects, the incredible lighting and asset quality. Just wow.

I can now die happy. I will never complain about graphics again. bookmark this post and bitch slap me with it the next time i complain in this thread. The talented devs have arrived. the ambitious devs are finally utilizing the next gen hardware. this is fucking future guys. This is why this thread was created.

I would say tread lightly. HB2 for example looks nothing like the reveal. Other than close ups with the characters in cutscenes. The game looks like Vaseline TM. Just ugly blurry chromatic aberration vomit. Also worse environment GI. Basically everything about the environment looks bad even though they are clearly using current gen assets. So it must be something they are doing to the IQ. All that vaseline post processing they are doing.

So be careful, just because its in-engine doesn't mean it will look like that.
I promise you, you won't see that smoke in the game. Think about it, unless the game takes place like HB2 where there's no npc, bunch of enemies, huge fire fights, huge AI routines. Its gonna get downgraded or they post process it to hell and it looks nothing like the trailer. Don't doubt these studio's ability to butcher their own games.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I would say tread lightly. HB2 for example looks nothing like the reveal. Other than close ups with the characters in cutscenes. The game looks like Vaseline TM. Just ugly blurry chromatic aberration vomit. Also worse environment GI. Basically everything about the environment looks bad even though they are clearly using current gen assets. So it must be something they are doing to the IQ. All that vaseline post processing they are doing.

So be careful, just because its in-engine doesn't mean it will look like that.
I promise you, you won't see that smoke in the game. Think about it, unless the game takes place like HB2 where there's no npc, bunch of enemies, huge fire fights, huge AI routines. Its gonna get downgraded or they post process it to hell and it looks nothing like the trailer. Don't doubt these studio's ability to butcher their own games.

Look at the time on that video. 2019. over 4 years ago. that was a bullshit trailer created for Phil Spencer. this game is coming out next year and they showed the actual levels. if it gets downgraded it will be minor. i kept telling you guys that avatar was already downgraded after the original 2021 trailer but you guys kept saying it would get downgraded from last years e3 footage. it ended up looking better.

E3 is when they will finally turn up.

Only question is if their tools are as advanced as UE5's. Death Stranding looks good by current gen standards but this is straight up CG. Decima and whatever engines ND, insomniac and SSM are using need their own nanite equivalent at the very least.
Check my post history in this thread, I have said this many times…I have always said this exact thing…

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
All Sony first party studios need to switch to UE5 until their engines can compete. PERIOD.
I’m very against this sentiment. I dont want all games looking the same.

Decima
ND Engine
Rage (r*)
UE5
Remedy Engine
Snowdrop
Capcom Engine

Is a good mix that helps games look different than one another

Think I’d rather have some games look better than others rather than every game have the same look

Somy 1st party will bring out the heavy hitters starting next year and as usual they will likely be the best looking games in the industry when accounting for not just fidelity but presentation and production value

Those 2 things go a hell of a long way

Last edited:

Lethal01

All Sony first party studios need to switch to UE5 until their engines can compete. PERIOD.

Decima
ND Engine
Rage (r*)
UE5
Remedy Engine
Snowdrop
Capcom Engine

Think I’d rather have some games look better than others rather than every game have the same look

Somy 1st party will bring out the heavy hitters starting next year and as usual they will likely be the best looking games in the industry when accounting for not just fidelity but presentation and production value

If you want graphics to keep improving in the long run you are gonna want many companies throwing tons of things at the wall to improve them in their engine even if that means hat some of then engines lag behind for 5 years or so

Last edited:

Lethal01

All the credible people have said it wont

Why would you want it to? It would mean a massive downgrade of everything that made the trailer actually impressive lmao
I could also just mean the game is scalable, scalability doesnt mean hat the devs chose to hold anything back

kikkis

All the credible people have said it wont

Why would you want it to? It would mean a massive downgrade of everything that made the trailer actually impressive lmao
Well frankly I would choose to trust rumor coming from rockstar employee more than Battaglia speculation. If it runs 1440p then 1000p wouldnt be too bad at 60fps.

Decima
ND Engine
Rage (r*)
UE5
Remedy Engine
Snowdrop
Capcom Engine

Engines don’t determine how a game looks.

Top Bottom