• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Hopefully more studios can use the Decima Engine for their games, it has beautiful visuals and is apparently really efficient, HFB runs really good.
TPUpDpK.jpeg

FugyRF3.jpeg

j01UY6q.jpeg

UMQUnzy.jpeg

BDwDfse.jpeg
Still the best looking game of the gen overall to me. Masterpiece in visuals. I was fucking blown away in 2022. Never got lost in a world like that before. Not in years.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I’d love to be wrong, but I feel comfortable betting that 1943 will not look like that demo on modern consoles. Maybe the pro and pc - but I can’t imagine the series s getting close
series s doesnt come close in anything though lol

this stuff is easily doable on consoles.

Decima might be king after all. The results we have are from a shipped game. Gameplay models look exactly that good during gameplay.
Snow drop is better in pretty much everything save for maybe cutscenes but we will find out later this year when they ship outlaws.

Last edited:
Is this true?

2021 gameplay with the screaming face was a meme for a pained downgrade.

Essh.

I thought it looked like that cause it was early. Pre-alpha.

I thought the Game Awards trailer represented the upgrade, where her face in the cavern looked photorealistic. I mean, I guess technically that was a cutscene too.

Oh boy.

Decima might be king after all. The results we have are from a shipped game. Gameplay models look exactly that good during gameplay.

I guess we’ll have to wait see.
Yeah, her face in the cavern was horrible, they have upgraded every trailer since 2021 and now the game looks awesome, Senuas face looks like the UE5 tech demo that was shown last year..

Game Awards 2021

State of Unreal March 2023 (Tech Demo)

Xbox Games Showcase June 2023

Game Awards December 2023

Developer Direct January 2024

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Real time *in-engine* demo. You’re definitely not getting in-game *gameplay* facial animations like this. It looks great but the developers always stretch the deliniation between realtime in-engine and realtime gameplay capabilities.
They never said those facial animations will be during the gameplay. actors cannot facial capture hours of facial animations at all times. they capture the facial animations for the 2-3 hours of cutscenes they shoot and those are the facial animations you saw in that video.

they even said that meta human translated all those animations for them. no extra work was needed. it was like shooting a movie. they literally paused on his face to tell you this.

i wonder if people actually watched that video.

SlimySnake

Yeah, her face in the cavern was horrible, they have upgraded every trailer since 2021 and now the game looks awesome, Senuas face looks like the UE5 tech demo that was shown last year..

Game Awards 2021

The game awards face looked weird only at certain times because there is very little hero little there as opposed to games like TLOU2 and Horizon that add hero lighting on the faces in every cutscene regardless of time of day and location.

shes also wearing face paint and then the rain fucks up her make up causing it to look less impressive than it actually is in other parts of the video when there is more light.

The game looked fucking incredible in 2021, but people memed that final shot of her face because its fun to shit on games nowadays.

K0OZ8Ug.gif

yjm0eHa.gif

The game awards face looked weird only at certain times because there is very little hero little there as opposed to games like TLOU2 and Horizon that add hero lighting on the faces in every cutscene regardless of time of day and location.

shes also wearing face paint and then the rain fucks up her make up causing it to look less impressive than it actually is in other parts of the video when there is more light.

The game looked fucking incredible in 2021, but people memed that final shot of her face because its fun to shit on games nowadays.

K0OZ8Ug.gif

yjm0eHa.gif
They have definitely upgraded her face. It looked sorta bad at all angles tbh..

Still the best looking game of the gen overall to me. Masterpiece in visuals. I was fucking blown away in 2022. Never got lost in a world like that before. Not in years.
It’s a great looking game - I have one major issue with it tho. The lighting just is not very good compared to most modern games. I don’t know what the reason is. But I went from Horizon to Jedi Survivor and somehow there were parts of Jedi Survivor that looked better even though almost all other areas of the graphics were worse. Or I’m just crazy lol

setoman

this is not a tech demo. thats an actual level from the game. they played the cutscene right after this.
Not sure why you have an issue with me saying its their reveal trailer and also a tech demo as you know very well you can make tech demos from actual games. For example the Lord of the Fallen Tech demo. Tech demo just means "technical" demo or "technical" showcase.

that cutscene is in the final game. watch the amy henning presentation. they say this over and over again.
Since when is it automatic that something being in a reveal trailer mean it will be in the final game? After an uncountable number of games showing things in the reveal including whole/parts of levels that are not in the final game? Honest question.
I dont know. i dont care to have this downgrade conversation all over again. i went through this already with you guys before starfield and avatar came out. i kept telling you that its too late to downgrade those games from their e3 presentations but you wouldnt believe me. then the games came out and looked even better than the console footage shown at last E3s.
In my opinion this has zero overlap with Avatar.

My statement that Avatar was likely going to be downgraded again was because of the track record of Ubisoft downgrading after every trailer for so many games (Watchdogs, The division, R6 Seige, Wildlands, even recently Skull & Bones).

However the Avatar trailer had multiple things going for it.
  • It was NOT a reveal trailer
  • It was full of gameplay footage
  • It was confirmed to be PS5 footage
  • It had a set release date
  • It was 6 months from release
None of this is true for Marvel 1943
  • It WAS a reveal trailer
  • It had basically *no gameplay footage
  • It doesn't have a release date (just says 2025)
  • It doesn't have a release platform (WTF?)
  • The hardware the trailer ran on isn't confirmed (most likely top of the line gpu/cpu)
  • If we are being charitable the soonest it could release might be Q4 2025 (Sept-Dec) meaning the trailer is likely 18-21 months from release.
Do you now see that my conclusion to say this will be downgraded is different from Avatar?
there are downgrades and then there are downgrades. this is the latter. game is coming out next year. if this is getting downgraded then so is GTA6, and Death Stranding 2, and we might as well shut this thread down because then every game can be dismissed as something that can be downgraded.
AW2 wasn't downgraded. There are still companies who don't partake in the downgrade BS.
i think linear games can look that good this gen because ive played them. alan wake 2, callisto, the interiors in starfield.
See we both agree on what good graphics look like. I don't think we ever disagreed on visual fidelity.
hell, the latest hellblade 2 trailer looks like this. devs simply have to up the volumetric effects to give it a cinematic feel. the asset quality is already there. the lighting is there. they just need to up the effects budget and linear levels will let them push them.
Nah HB2 environment lacks the micro-detail, sure they have the rocks but the micro detail of variety and the texture resolution isn't there.
Also the lighting is just lacking for me. Again Marvel 1943 is basically what the original HB2 trailer looked like, both in the environment detail, character detail and lighting. For example look at the bones section. Look at the micro detail there. Its not just a bunch of big rocks. Also the texture.

But HB2 is still looking to release with the best cutscene character either way.

Was this pushed as in-engine or real time? because I believe they said it was IN ENGINE. The first REALTIME gameplay was at The Game Awards 2021…
in-engine IS real-time.

Last edited:

setoman

Incorrect. In-engine can mean pre-rendered using the engine. That's why it says in-engine and not "real time running on [insert hardware].
In-engine does NOT mean pre-rendered. Not sure where you got that from but that has never been true.
In-engine simply means its running in-engine aka in-editor. That its not cooked. The meaning is in its name.
Its running inside the engine.

Think of it as a scripted scene rendered with the game engine. It doesn't mean its pre-rendered but in the context of games, it almost always means its real-time.

Add in the additional computational cost of AI, physics, plus needing to load into memory a number of assets that may come up, you’re going to have less headroom to fully show off the graphical splendor of a scene.

An in-engine sequence is meant to show a scripted scene that doesn’t have that variability, but it is running in realtime.

Also "real time running on [insert hardware]" is not a technical term that is used and is just a marketing term that is used for consoles to say that the game/demo or whatever is running live on a PS/Xbox.

Last edited:

Edder1

In-engine does NOT mean pre-rendered. Not sure where you got that from but that has never been true.
In-engine simply means its running in-engine aka in-editor. That its not cooked. The meaning is in its name.
Its running inside the engine.

Also "real time running on [insert hardware]" is not a technical term that is used and is just a marketing term that is used for consoles to say that the game/demo or whatever is running live on a PS/Xbox.
Running in-engine does not mean it's running on specific hardware. You can run path tracer in Unreal Engine, but you won't be able to run that in real time on any hardware at acceptable framerate. Also, who told you "in-engine" and "real time" mean the same thing? That's never been the case, hence why the term "real time" exists.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Not sure why you have an issue with me saying its their reveal trailer and also a tech demo as you know very well you can make tech demos from actual games. For example the Lord of the Fallen Tech demo. Tech demo just means "technical" demo or "technical" showcase.

Since when is it automatic that something being in a reveal trailer mean it will be in the final game? After an uncountable number of games showing things in the reveal including whole/parts of levels that are not in the final game? Honest question.

In my opinion this has zero overlap with Avatar.

My statement that Avatar was likely going to be downgraded again was because of the track record of Ubisoft downgrading after every trailer for so many games (Watchdogs, The division, R6 Seige, Wildlands, even recently Skull & Bones).

However the Avatar trailer had multiple things going for it.
  • It was NOT a reveal trailer
  • It was full of gameplay footage
  • It was confirmed to be PS5 footage
  • It had a set release date
  • It was 6 months from release
None of this is true for Marvel 1943
  • It WAS a reveal trailer
  • It had basically *no gameplay footage
  • It doesn't have a release date (just says 2025)
  • It doesn't have a release platform (WTF?)
  • The hardware the trailer ran on isn't confirmed (most likely top of the line gpu/cpu)
  • If we are being charitable the soonest it could release might be Q4 2025 (Sept-Dec) meaning the trailer is likely 18-21 months from release.
Do you now see that my conclusion to say this will be downgraded is different from Avatar?

AW2 wasn't downgraded. There are still companies who don't partake in the downgrade BS.

See we both agree on what good graphics look like. I don't think we ever disagreed on visual fidelity.

Nah HB2 environment lacks the micro-detail, sure they have the rocks but the micro detail of variety and the texture resolution isn't there.
Also the lighting is just lacking for me. Again Marvel 1943 is basically what the original HB2 trailer looked like, both in the environment detail, character detail and lighting. For example look at the bones section. Look at the micro detail there. Its not just a bunch of big rocks. Also the texture.

But HB2 is still looking to release with the best cutscene character either way.

in-engine IS real-time.

Watch what Amy says about the game.

“This isn’t just some custom demo that we made just for the show. That’s our game. All the sequences that you just saw in the trailer were pulled right out of our game running real-time on unreal engine 5. No smoke and mirrors. “

setoman

Running in-engine does not mean it's running on specific hardware. You can run path tracer in Unreal Engine, but you won't be able to run that in real time on any hardware at acceptable framerate.
Which is why I said It doesn't mean its pre-rendered but in the context of games, it almost always means its real-time.
You are the one saying it means its pre-rendered. in-engine simply means rendered by the game engine, it doesn't tell you whether its real-time or not.
Also, who told you "in-engine" and "real time" mean the same thing? That's never been the case, hence why the term "real time" exists.
in the context of games, it almost always means its real-time.
Literally from the use of "in-engine" throughout gaming history.
Heck the game we are just talking about where they move the camera around live in real-time. What's that text at the bottom?
Oh yeah "in-engine". So are you now saying that Marvel 1943 is pre-rendered?
image.png

Last edited:

Edder1

Which is why I said It doesn't mean its pre-rendered but in the context of games, it almost always means its real-time.
You are the one saying it means its pre-rendered. in-engine simply means rendered by the game engine, it doesn't tell you whether its real-time or not.

in the context of games, it almost always means its real-time.
Literally from the use of "in-engine" throughout gaming history.
Heck the game we are just talking about where they move the camera around live in real-time. What's that text at the bottom?
Oh yeah "in-engine".
image.png
Dude, it doesn't, lol. Many games use UE for pre-rendered cinematics with disclaimer that it's "in-engine". In-engine simply means it was rendered using Unreal Engine, often used for cinematics and target render. Saying "in-engine" and "real time" mean the same thing is completely untrue and that's never been the case.

Last edited:

setoman

Dude, it doesn't, lol. Many games use UE for pre-rendered cinematics with disclaimer that it's "in-engine". In-engine simply means it was rendered using Unreal Engine, often used for cinematics and target render. Saying "in-engine" and "real time" mean the same thing is completely untrue and never been the case.
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about even when shown clear undisputable evidence contradicting you.

Edit: Secondly for others reading this, no game uses UE for pre-rendered cinematics with the disclaimer that its in-engine. The people who use UE for pre-render are artviz and short films/animation.
However ALL games post videos of their games using UE and they say its in-engine. Just like Marvel 1943, including Amy on the stage saying
Amy: "all in-engine and to show there's no cheating going on.."

Last edited:

Edder1

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about even when shown clear evidence contradicting you. Whatever
Dude, you're talking complete BS and can't own up to it, lol. This is the first time I've ever seen anyone on this forum claim "in-engine" and "real time" are the same thing. You're the one in minority here.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

It’s a great looking game - I have one major issue with it tho. The lighting just is not very good compared to most modern games. I don’t know what the reason is. But I went from Horizon to Jedi Survivor and somehow there were parts of Jedi Survivor that looked better even though almost all other areas of the graphics were worse. Or I’m just crazy lol
You are not crazy. Horizon fw kinda falls apart in some lighting scenarios whereas Jedi shines in those very same lighting conditions because of that realistic RTGI light bounce producing some great indirect lighting. Is the Same reason why DG2 looks so great. I was just in a dense forest and the sunlight would only affect part of the forest. The contrast between trees under direct sunlight and trees covered by shadows but still lit thanks to bounce lighting is very realistic. The game can go from looking ordinary to simply beautiful depending on the lighting.

Star Wars can also looks better because of the asset quality being higher overall. But that only comes through in some levels.

Last edited:

setoman

Dude, you're talking complete BS and can't own up to it, lol. This is the first time I've ever seen anyone on this forum claim "in-engine" and "real time" are the same thing. You're the one in minority here.
Clearly pre-rendered. I could keep going and post 98+ more games and it would be pointless as you clearly have your head in the sand.

"Explore the First In-Engine Look at METAL GEAR SOLID Δ: SNAKE EATER, currently under development using Unreal Engine 5. All of the game's environments are rendered in UE5 and captured in-game in real time."

Last edited:

Edder1

Clearly pre-rendered. I could keep going and post 98+ more games and it would be pointless as you clearly have your head in the sand.

"Explore the First In-Engine Look at METAL GEAR SOLID Δ: SNAKE EATER, currently under development using Unreal Engine 5. All of the game's environments are rendered in UE5 and captured in-game in real time."

You not proving anything. According to you the pre-rendered cinematics that are used on few occasions in FF16 would be real time because they are running in-engine.

Last edited:
I just started playing through FF16, game is gorgeous. The amount of particles while walking through a storm in a forest, so many moving pieces, I was just floored. The cinematics and gameplay are literally 1 to 1.

GooseMan69

I just started playing through FF16, game is gorgeous. The amount of particles while walking through a storm in a forest, so many moving pieces, I was just floored. The cinematics and gameplay are literally 1 to 1.

The first few hours are gold. Then it devolves into side quest slop fuckery, with moments of brilliance in between. I’ve never played a game with such distinct A, B, and C tier content. It swaps between looking like a PS3 game and a mind blowing next gen experience on a whim.

Dude, it doesn't, lol. Many games use UE for pre-rendered cinematics with disclaimer that it's "in-engine". In-engine simply means it was rendered using Unreal Engine, often used for cinematics and target render. Saying "in-engine" and "real time" mean the same thing is completely untrue and that's never been the case.
S setoman is right though. In-engine almost always means realtime.
An in-engine cutscene means the developers can stop the cutscene at any time and move the camera realtime with the same graphics settings enabled. It means those graphics are running realtime on some (powerful) hardware.
A pre-rendered cutscene means the cutscene is rendered offline as a video file. If developers want to change the camera in that cutscene they have to re-render the cutscene all over again.

Portugeezer

Watch what Amy says about the game.

“This isn’t just some custom demo that we made just for the show. That’s our game. All the sequences that you just saw in the trailer were pulled right out of our game running real-time on unreal engine 5. No smoke and mirrors. “
It's still better to be skeptical, I just can't trust developers these days especially for a tech showcase.

No hardware info is strange, very smokey and mirror'ey.

Last edited:

Edder1

An in-engine cutscene means the developers can stop the cutscene at any time and move the camera realtime with the same graphics settings enabled. It means those graphics are running realtime on some (powerful) hardware.
A pre-rendered cutscene means the cutscene is rendered offline as a video file. If developers want to change the camera in that cutscene they have to re-render the cutscene all over again.
In-engine means it's running within engine, it does not mean it's running on target hardware. Watch Digital Foundry's analysis of Hellblade 2 reveal trailer, they state that in-engine can mean the game is pre-rendered. This is why the phrase real time exists, it differentiates itself from those trailers that maybe pre-rendered within engine. This is why FF16 trailers used phrases like "captured on PS5" while also showing bits that were clearly pre-rendered. The term "captured on PS5" usually means it's real time, however some devs use in-engine pre-rendered cinematics for this phrase as well.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
In-engine means it's running within engine, it does not mean it's running on target hardware. Watch Digital Foundry's analysis of Hellblade 2 reveal trailer, they state that in-engine can mean the game is pre-rendered. This is why the phrase real time exists, it differentiates itself from those trailers that maybe pre-rendered within engine. This is why FF16 trailers used phrases like "captured on PS5" while also showing bits that were clearly pre-rendered. The term "captured on PS5" usually means it's real time, however some devs use in-engine pre-rendered cinematics for this phrase as well.

Yeah, if some people think developers (or "experts") are infallible and don't use words ambiguously, then they're wrong. In-engine can of course mean both real-time and pre-rendered, there's no point arguing about this. In the end it's the context of the usage of the words that counts.

Last edited:

Edder1

Yeah, if some people think developers (or "experts") are infallible and don't use words ambiguously, then they're wrong. In-engine can of course mean both real-time and pre-rendered, there's no point arguing about this. In the end it's the context of the usage of the words that counts.
I think most of the time ambiguity is on purpose as lot of the early trailers we see are out there while the games are still in pre-production.

I assume you're referring to the big benadikta fight? That shit was next gen as fuck

Thats it. Im gonna have to look up the first reveal of FF16 but I felt like it did not do the game any service, looked like the most boring setting. If they at least showed a part of this fight, would of been way better introduction tot he game.

SlimySnake

In-engine is basically code for pre-rendered. All those Battlefield trailers are in-engine and are pre-rendered. You can easily tell when something is pre-rendered. Forget the FF16 pre-rendered cutscenes, even FF7 Rebirth uses inengine pre-rendered cutscenes and they look a generation ahead.

here they specifically state realtime. They also say ingame which can also be code for prerendered, but since they also said was realtime and showed us running in realtime by pausing it and manipulating the camera, i will give them a pass.

I really dont understand this. We have ravon posting stunning screenshots of Horizon's cutscenes. A game designed around a 1.8 tflops GPU. We now have 5x more tlfops and 8x more raw GPU horsepower. Let alone all the tech advancements UE5 brings with it. Why cant we get those visuals? Did people not play the Matrix demo? The cutscenes in the chase sequence fooled me into thinking i was watching a movie. This looks very gamey in comparison.

Last edited:

RaduN

Until it is played on the actual hardware it is targeted on, any on stage live demonstrations should be put in the carefully optimistic zone.

There are countless, countless examples where the devs swore on their mothers graves that the presentation was running realtime and in-engine (doesn't even matter the term they use) and the final result, the retail finished product that followed, was a clear graphical downgrade in the end.

I guess people never learn though.

SlimySnake

The intro cutscene that takes you across the world map in Dragons Dogma 2 is realtime, not pre-rendered. The way the fly through the entire world map without loading screens of pre-recording the footage is one of the most next gen things ive seen.

Timestamped:

Edder1

In-engine is basically code for pre-rendered.
This is how it was always used to be, but because recently some devs use the terms "in-engine" and "real time" interchangeably, people have gotten really confused. Now some don't even know what the term "in-engine" means and think it means the game is running real time, but that's not always the case and in the past it never meant real time.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Until it is played on the actual hardware it is targeted on, any on stage live demonstrations should be put in the carefully optimistic zone.

There are countless, countless examples where the devs swore on their mothers graves that the presentation was running realtime and in-engine (doesn't even matter the term they use) and the final result, the retail finished product that followed, was a clear graphical downgrade in the end.

I guess people never learn though.
I have learned enough to be able to tell the difference. You can have realtime demos like Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima and TLOU2 reveals and still get downgrades. They were not pre-rendered. They were said to be running on the Pro. Horizon was captured on the PS5 and was downgraded from its initial trailer. Spidemran 2 was also confirmed to be realtime. not in-engine. not ingame. not pre-rendered. realtime. Didnt stop them from downgrading the shit out of the game.

I think it comes down to various factors. I have seen enough of UE5 to see what it is capable of. I have seen enough bullshit from Sony studios to know that that most of these studios will have downgrades post reveal. And yet i bet when Sony studios show similar looking games this E3, this thread will believe that those visuals are possible. At that point, if i came in pointing out the TLOU2 faces downgrades, or Spiderman 2's night time downgrades or Ghost of Tsushima;s wind downgrades, people would like wtf get outta here.

And id agree with that. I think we need to be able to discuss whats shown without constantly living in fear of downgrades. Some devs do downgrades. Some do upgrades. who cares. We will discuss the downgrades when they come. Devs will always show their games in the best possible lighting conditions. Rockstar just did this 3 months ago. Amy has chosen to show cutscenes. cutscenes with hero lighting, hero assets, with perfect hollywood quality cinematography. Of course that will look better than actual gameplay graphics. but those same assets and environment lighting effects will still be there. We saw this with starfield. Stunning asset quality. Stunning lighting. That falls apart outdoors in procedurally generated planets and cities that go from looking amazing in some lighting conditions to bad in others because they clearly didnt get enough love. A carefully crafted linear game with no day night cycle will not have those issues.

I would like people to be be able to articulate which part of this gif will get downgraded. Even assuming the cutscenes quality remains the same.

lb9bZer.gif

Will the building in the background lose all the detail? What about the trees? Will they go away? the snow on the railings? is that going away? the sun peaking through from the right. would it be replaced by PS4 quality lighting? The textures on the suits?

what gets retained and what will be downgraded? We can bookmark this post and come back to it come launch. I think the cutscene will look virtually identical. Gameplay will have remove the post processing effects that give it a cinematic feel and downgrade the character model fidelity a bit like most games do nowadays when they switch from cutscene to gameplay. but the rest will look virtually the same. especially the world in the background.

i have seen and played what nanite is capable of when rendering buildings.

92jxhif.gif

alloush

I have learned enough to be able to tell the difference. You can have realtime demos like Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima and TLOU2 reveals and still get downgrades. They were not pre-rendered. They were said to be running on the Pro. Horizon was captured on the PS5 and was downgraded from its initial trailer. Spidemran 2 was also confirmed to be realtime. not in-engine. not ingame. not pre-rendered. realtime. Didnt stop them from downgrading the shit out of the game.

I think it comes down to various factors. I have seen enough of UE5 to see what it is capable of. I have seen enough bullshit from Sony studios to know that that most of these studios will have downgrades post reveal. And yet i bet when Sony studios show similar looking games this E3, this thread will believe that those visuals are possible. At that point, if i came in pointing out the TLOU2 faces downgrades, or Spiderman 2's night time downgrades or Ghost of Tsushima;s wind downgrades, people would like wtf get outta here.

And id agree with that. I think we need to be able to discuss whats shown without constantly living in fear of downgrades. Some devs do downgrades. Some do upgrades. who cares. We will discuss the downgrades when they come. Devs will always show their games in the best possible lighting conditions. Rockstar just did this 3 months ago. Amy has chosen to show cutscenes. cutscenes with hero lighting, hero assets, with perfect hollywood quality cinematography. Of course that will look better than actual gameplay graphics. but those same assets and environment lighting effects will still be there. We saw this with starfield. Stunning asset quality. Stunning lighting. That falls apart outdoors in procedurally generated planets and cities that go from looking amazing in some lighting conditions to bad in others because they clearly didnt get enough love. A carefully crafted linear game with no day night cycle will not have those issues.

I would like people to be be able to articulate which part of this gif will get downgraded. Even assuming the cutscenes quality remains the same.

lb9bZer.gif

Will the building in the background lose all the detail? What about the trees? Will they go away? the snow on the railings? is that going away? the sun peaking through from the right. would it be replaced by PS4 quality lighting? The textures on the suits?

what gets retained and what will be downgraded? We can bookmark this post and come back to it come launch. I think the cutscene will look virtually identical. Gameplay will have remove the post processing effects that give it a cinematic feel and downgrade the character model fidelity a bit like most games do nowadays when they switch from cutscene to gameplay. but the rest will look virtually the same. especially the world in the background.

i have seen and played what nanite is capable of when rendering buildings.

92jxhif.gif
The Rock Clapping GIF

CGNoire

This is how it was always used to be, but because recently some devs use the terms "in-engine" and "real time" interchangeably, people have gotten really confused. Now some don't even know what the term "in-engine" means and think it means the game is running real time, but that's not always the case and in the past it never meant real time.
And it still doesnt.

SABRE220

Some talks that people interested in graphics may be interested in, don't see anyphing that urges me to make a thread for, yet.

Do you think the new sdk(brixelizer gi etc) if introduced by devs in their games will translate to real performance gains especially in rt workloads?

ProtoByte

I can believe that 1943 will look quite approximate to the trailer.
But it raises some interesting questions, doesn't it?

How does Skydance, a new, ragtag team with no prior titles visually outdo everyone in the game at the moment? Might it be that graphics are not the leading cause of ballooning game development? What will the gameplay be like? Will the visuals come with contemporary design and mechanics? Is it possible to have the crazy visuals and boundary-pushing gameplay for this gen?

mrMUR_96

How does Skydance, a new, ragtag team with no prior titles visually outdo everyone in the game at the moment? Might it be that graphics are not the leading cause of ballooning game development? What will the gameplay be like? Will the visuals come with contemporary design and mechanics? Is it possible to have the crazy visuals and boundary-pushing gameplay for this gen?
I mean, it looks like they started completely fresh and decided to go all in with the latest tools from unreal engine, and seems like they must have some partnership with them too as they were at gdc with epic. It must be quite a talented team too as tools alone don't mean anything if your art direction and engineers aren't up to scratch. I guess other developers are too focused and stuck with their existing workflows and tools that they can't make proper use of new tech so easily. It is bizarre though that we're 4 years in and nothing has come close to this yet. We really don't have much info on gameplay yet, I think they mentioned 4 playable characters, but not much else.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Well it doesn't seem to be an open world so there is that, we have yet to see any combat or more than like 3 character on screen at any one time.
Could be focused on a single environment/biome. There seems to be an obvious enough difference between something like it and GTA6

Making it a small totally new game could also be what allows them to use the very latest tech, more dangerous to use new bug filled stuff when the project is small enough you can work around and easily find all the bugs and don't need to incorporate carious system that you already spent years making for prequel game.

And ofcourse, it may be their first game with that team name but I expect the devs have tons of other work under their belt, it's not like they are some indies, but much like the videos of single dudes making an amazing looking demo in a tiny room they just aren't aiming for something nearly as hard to achieve great fidelity on as something like Assassins Creed.

Last edited:

hlm666

Do you think the new sdk(brixelizer gi etc) if introduced by devs in their games will translate to real performance gains especially in rt workloads?
Didn't watch the whole thing but he said brixelizer gi is intended for a fallback for none RT hardware. It's probably going to be similar to lumen sw/hw where brixelizer works like sw lumen (less accurate) and a hardware RT GI mode will be more accurate and maybe more performant.

Top Bottom