• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Bojji

I wasn't being sarcastic. There are people here who argue graphics of a particular game are good/bad but they can't articulate what makes for good graphics in their opinion. You are on record saying you don't value lighting nearly as much as other aspects so I understood your position of ranking Horizon over DD2 more than I would someone else's

If you segracate "graphics" into categories it's easier to compare games:

- lighting quality (GI)
- shadows quality (shadow maps or rt shadows)
- model quality (polygons, characters)
- foliage quality
- animations quality
- environment quality (polygons, environment)
- textures quality
- reflections quality
- water quality
- art quality (very subjective...)
- performance
- image quality (resolution, AA)

And probably some other important things that I forgot at the moment.

With that you can see that horizon would win majority of sections only truly loosing in lighting quality, we could debate animations and art but from pure technical perspective horizon is way ahead what Capcom can achieve with their engine in open world game (at the moment).

Last edited:

GymWolf

I wasn't being sarcastic. There are people here who argue graphics of a particular game are good/bad but they can't articulate what makes for good graphics in their opinion. You are on record saying you don't value lighting nearly as much as other aspects so I understood your position of ranking Horizon over DD2 more than I would someone else's
I know you weren't sarcastic dude :messenger_winking:

RavionUHD

Some more Horizon PC in 4K Ultrawide, the animations are really fantastic!

8FiMCe7.jpeg

TtM8tg9.jpeg

Mx0NJMQ.jpeg

Dfe54sE.jpeg

3O0UpNe.jpeg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

8FiMCe7.jpeg
lol this woman is the most photographed woman in this game. sadly most of the other tribes in the game use paint so you rarely get to see faces this detailed. my other favorite is this chick.

Fw_DitPXsA0ksqV

If you segracate "graphics" into categories it's easier to compare games:

- lighting quality (GI)
- shadows quality (shadow maps or rt shadows)
- model quality (polygons, characters)
- foliage quality
- animations quality
- environment quality (polygons, environment)
- textures quality
- reflections quality
- water quality
- art quality (very subjective...)
- performance
- image quality (resolution, AA)

And probably some other important things that I forgot at the moment.

With that you can see that horizon would win majority of sections only truly loosing in lighting quality, we could debate animations and art but from pure technical perspective horizon is way ahead what Capcom can achieve with their engine in open world game (at the moment).
Yep. id add cutscene quality because despite all of Avatar's achievements, it lacked that scale and cinematic flair that made games like Horizon, TLOU2 and FF16 so great. id still rank avatar over horizon, but all those reasons above plus the cinematics and 1v1 dialogue scenes were the reason why i always ranked it above cyberpunk RT even after PT was added last year.

The thing with Dragons Dogma 2 is that it is the poster child for RTGI in ways even cyberpunk wasnt. Cyberpunk was art'ed around baked lighting just like Alan Wake 2 so unless you found yourself in a time of day transition, you wouldnt be able to tell the difference. Dragons Dogma 2 just looks fake and gamey with RT off because no one gives a shit about series s looking good anyway. DF mentioned how even rocks and cliffs that dont get direct sunlight get bounce lighting and that fixes the issue many games have with indirect lighting. The best example of this is lamps and lanterns at night realistically illuminating the environments. If you are rolling with a party of 4 and then other 4-5 NPCs join you, you have 10 lanterns accurately illuminating a pitch black area and thanks to volumetric lighting, you get this very cg movie quality lighting ive only seen in alan wake 2 and some UE5 demos.

the rest unfortunately doesnt look as good especially indoor areas, but the asset quality is not bad either. some very good looking textures and foliage here. cutscenes also look great.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Dragons dogma is looks amazing. Huge vistas, interactive vegetation, all physical animations which are just great. Rtgi and so on. The game has this warm look to it.
And the effects absolutely finally give me that deep down feel. Guys we are finally there. PS4 trailer gameplay has arrived !
Seriously it looks great. Whoever said it looks like a ps3 game is mistaken

Dragons dogma is looks amazing. Huge vistas, interactive vegetation, all physical animations which are just great. Rtgi and so on. The game has this warm look to it.
And the effects absolutely finally give me that deep down feel. Guys we are finally there. PS4 trailer gameplay has arrived !
Really? I’m getting interested in this game now

scoobs

You then went on to list UE5 games, none of which are a good example since we haven't had AAA UE5 games that use all the new features of the engine.
the new features literally weren’t even a concept in a Word doc at Epic when Horizon FW was greenlit.

SlimySnake

the new features literally weren’t even a concept in a Word doc at Epic when Horizon FW was greenlit.
actually Tim Sweeney was talking about nanite (in concept) around the time UE4 was released. Some folks on gaf actually had some of his powerpoint slides from a GDC slide back then. First Mesh shaders demos were released in 2016 when the Pascal 10 series cards were released.

And realtime GI was actually included in UE4 before the gen started. Lastly, Tim Sweeney himself said that discussions around UE5 Lumen and Nanite with Cerny and Sony started 3-4 years before UE5 was revealed. Sony shouldve had their first party studios working on taking full advantage of their hardware. they didnt. well, aside from insomniac, they didnt.

SlimySnake

Turning lamps on and off is my favorite thing to do in the game lol. Ive reached peak graphics whore.

IiURKMb.gif

Really like this overcast lighting as well. They hide the flickering sun shadows which are the weakest part of the game.

6ZLuTm3.gif

But its the night time lighting that shines the most. I loved the night time lighting in RDR2 in St. Denis for this reason, but this is so much more dynamic in comparison.

4x7suBX.gif

Xtib81

And the effects absolutely finally give me that deep down feel.
Everything in deep down looked incredible. DD2 looks very inconsistent (crazy pop in, dead cities, abysmal facial animations etc..) and well below games like Horizon, or Avatar. And it's running at 25-35fps on consoles too. It doesn't look like a PS3 game, but it doesn't look like a current gen game either, on consoles at least.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Turning lamps on and off is my favorite thing to do in the game lol. Ive reached peak graphics whore.

IiURKMb.gif

Really like this overcast lighting as well. They hide the flickering sun shadows which are the weakest part of the game.

6ZLuTm3.gif

But its the night time lighting that shines the most. I loved the night time lighting in RDR2 in St. Denis for this reason, but this is so much more dynamic in comparison.

4x7suBX.gif
Everything has this physical look and feel to it. I don’t know how else to describe it. The soft shadows from the lamp, the sheen of armour. I love overcast weather in games. Uncharted 4 got the best one.
And as for cpu. I spent some time in character creator and I can see why it’s using the cpu easily in this one instance.
All animations are physical. You can change 200 angles of your feet, knees, posture and everything results in different walking animation and feet position. If this is calculated for everyone and monsters, dude. That’s not simple ik

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Everything in deep down looked incredible. DD2 looks very inconsistent (crazy pop in, dead cities, abysmal facial animations etc..) and well below games like Horizon, or Avatar. And it's running at 25-35fps on consoles too. It doesn't look like a PS3 game, but it doesn't look like a current gen game either, on consoles at least.
Facial animations are awful but faces look good. They should’ve kept their mouths closed like in ds1.
But everything else is way above ps4. Lod is very long. You see shadows in infinitely distant buildings, vegetation is dense and also very far + its interactive. It does its stuff great. I like looking at it lol. It’s pleasant. It’s not horizon but I can’t say it looks worse. Kinda like plague tale ?

Xtib81

Facial animations are awful but faces look good. They should’ve kept their mouths closed like in ds1.
But everything else is way above ps4. Lod is very long. You see shadows in infinitely distant buildings, vegetation is dense and also very far + its interactive. It does its stuff great. I like looking at it lol. It’s pleasant. It’s not horizon but I can’t say it looks worse. Kinda like plague tale ?
Must have been a bug then cuz I saw NPCs popping right in front of the player in several videos.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Must have been a bug then cuz I saw NPCs popping right in front of the player in several videos.
No it's not a bug. In Towns, npc pop RIGHT in front of you. IT's awful.
But once they load in, it's a bit better.
I forgot to acknowledge that. But it's only in big city so far

analog_future

Resident Crybaby

Mistaken? Nah, just typical trolling.

Nobody said that it looks like a ps3 title in here.

I'm open to the idea of being mistaken since I haven't actually played the game, but I'm not trolling at all. I was commenting on this video in particular, in which the game looks awful:

And yeah, outside of rendering resolution I stand by that games like Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us on PS3 look as good or better than most of the video above.

Last edited:

setoman

I want to highlight cloth animations and physics in Marvel 1943, this is made me say wow. The Machine learning and cloth physics are next level, CGI like. Also seen in this Meta Human demo around the 6:08 mark..

EDIT: Note the hair quality!

Again I would say you guys need to be cautious. Alot of UE features are always introduced with theatrics but when you try to weave it into a full game you find out its slow and too heavy. Alot of features you guys are praising here for example the cloth animation because of ML deformer Is a very heavy feature. The Heterogeneous Volumes is also heavy. The nanite tessellations is also new.

I just don't see how all of these new features are going to end up in a console game in 2025 and look the same.

I want you guys to recall their chaos destruction physics feature. It was introduced with a flair 5 years ago. But today no game has anything close to matching what Unreal showcased here, in-fact a big part of the feature that was demoed were later disabled and never finished for UE4. Every dev who uses it talks about how its 10x slower than PhysX.

I 1000% fully believe that Marvel 1943 will not look like that, console or pc.

Last edited:

setoman

I like how Amy literally had a camera guy on stage plugged into the editor and moving the camera in realtime inside the real level and people are like CGI!!!

ESzJ9u4.gif
This is classic tech demo, all tech demos are also real-time and in-engine. Every one of them. Tech demos ain't pre-rendered. Unless they won't be tech demos.

You actually believe the game will look like this? Perfect DOF, lights, and everything turned up to 12?
In-fact I would do you one better. This level, entire scene and look WON'T even be in the final game. Or will be completely unrecognizable.

This whole thing is theatrics, are they gonna tell you that they are running a 4090 with top of the line CPU and still can't hit 4k/30?
This is classic reveal trailer before the downgrade, don't fall for it.

Last edited:

Xtib81

Again I would say you guys need to be cautious. Alot of UE features are always introduced with theatrics but when you try to weave it into a full game you find out its slow and too heavy. Alot of features you guys are praising here for example the cloth animation because of ML deformer Is a very heavy feature. The Heterogeneous Volumes is also heavy. The nanite tessellations is also new.

I just don't see how all of these new features are going to end up in a console game in 2025 and look the same.

I want you guys to recall their chaos destruction physics feature. It was introduced with a flair 5 years ago. But today no game has anything close to matching what Unreal showcased here, in-fact a big part of the feature that was demoed were later disabled and never finished for UE4. Every dev who uses it talks about how its 10x slower than PhysX.

Some wise words that are well needed since too many here lack critical thinking.

JCreasy

Hellblade 2 ships in May. The most recent trailers mirror the level of fidelity we’re seeing in 1943.

With less than 2 months to go, it would be a reputational catastrophe for Ninja Theory to ship a downgraded game that doesn’t look like what we’ve seen in the trailers.

Last edited:

RaduN

8FiMCe7.jpeg

TtM8tg9.jpeg

Mx0NJMQ.jpeg

Dfe54sE.jpeg

3O0UpNe.jpeg
Looks smooth no doubt, but it's so fucking distracting when devs have zero clue about how depth of field actually works in cinema.

These devs are completely oblivious, and why they don't hore a professional cinematographer for these games that clearly aspire to be movies, at least partially, i will never know.

setoman

Hellblade 2 ships in May. The most recent trailers mirror the level of fidelity we’re seeing in 1943.

With less than 2 months to go, it would be a reputational catastrophe for Ninja Theory to ship a downgraded game that doesn’t look like what we’ve seen in the trailers.
And Hellblade 2 has already been downgraded. Environment, Lighting and in-game character looks nothing like the original reveal trailer. This same thing will happen to Marvel 1943. I'm telling you, it will look nothing like that video. What you guys are also missing is that Senua in this trailer is at the same fidelity if not higher than the characters in the Marvel 1943 trailer. Marvel 1943 is trying to say they will have this fidelity as an in-game character. I'm telling you. It won't happen! If it were possible than NT wouldn't have needed to downgrade. Remember they are the ones PUSHING the digital humans tech forward with Epic not some random new studio.

Last edited:
I'm open to the idea of being mistaken since I haven't actually played the game, but I'm not trolling at all. I was commenting on this video in particular, in which the game looks awful:

And yeah, outside of rendering resolution I stand by that games like Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us on PS3 look as good or better than most of the video above.

It all depends on the scene with DD2. It's inconsistent but when it looks good it looks really good. PS3 comparisons are absurd though.

JCreasy

And Hellblade 2 has already been downgraded. Environment, Lighting and in-game character looks nothing like the original reveal trailer. This same thing will happen to Marvel 1943. I'm telling you, it will look nothing like that video.

Have you seen this trailer?

SlimySnake

That first area is not indicative of the overall quality of the game. its just a cave.

The game world looks way better than PS3 and even PS4 era games. Uncharted 3 and TLOU have some really crappy texture work in comparison. THe lighting in those games is pure trash by todays standards which is to be expected but DG2 is leagues ahead.

I think you ought to look at some Uncharted 3 and TLOU playthroughs because it might have been a while.

TLOU is even uglier.

Hell, i played TLOU remake last year and while its basically a PS4 game in disguise, id rate DG2 above it. Lighting, textures, and scale, everything except for cutscenes fidelity where TLOU1 remake wins easily.

There are a lot of flaws in DG2. Shadow flickering is really bad because of their fast realtime time of day cycle. The towns have unacceptable framerate stutters. Some interiors look flat and lack detail. its not perfect by any means, but to say its anywhere near PS3 quality shows just how poor youtube is when it comes to showcasing these games. All the detail is stripped out by compression. The lighting volumetrics disappear and you end up with a washed out game that isnt appreciated for the things that it does do right. lack of hdr is also huge. Even these gifs below I captured from a direct 1440p 60 fps feed are removing all the fine texture detail on clothes, armor, rocks, and statues.

KdO2yEi.gif
XKJESbB.gif

N4fqGOK.gif

setoman

Have you seen this trailer?

yes that's the trailer i'm referring to, it looks bad compared to the initial trailer, the lighting is WAY worse. The environment is worse (less detailed), the rocks have blurry textures, the enemies characters look worse, and senua in-game looks worse. Senua in cutscene also looks worse but at least close to the original and clearly beats all other games cutscene character.

and finally everything in that video is literally blurry.

Last edited:

Bro ...you're falling for the oldest trick in the book. Esp considering this is being shown at a tech event which they're more likely to go all out for in a verticle slice , running on God knows which supercomputer. It has been explained to you already better than I can the exact reasons it won't look like this.

It's great to know those features are now being utilized for this and the future of UE5 and the fact that it uses much less memory is huge and hints that consoles will most likely be able to use that tesselation tech. I've been saying how important tesselation is to this gen ever since Demon's Souls made such great use of it but it's been disappointingly absent in most games. I think some games use it but very limited ways. It gives such great depth and detail. Even games like Spiderman 2 and LoU2 remaster don't have it if they do its not enough to really make textures pop.

But back to this 1943 game ..this is first and foremost a tech demo and best case scenario. I've seen people try to brush off our doubts as pessimism bit where have you been for the last 10 years? Dishonesty is the rule not the exception! Also not sure why you're making a connection to HB2 as to why 1943 won't be downgraded on console lol of all platforms because in reality, last minute downgrades NEVER destroy a studios sales or even reputation even though they should!

JCreasy

yes that's the trailer i'm referring to, it looks bad compared to the initial trailer, the lighting is WAY worse. The environment is worse (less detailed), the rocks have blurry textures, the enemies characters look worse, and senua in-game looks worse. Senua in cutscene also looks worse but at least close to the original and clearly beats all other games cutscene character.

and finally everything in that video is literally blurry.

Really?

Ok.

SlimySnake

This is classic tech demo, all tech demos are also real-time and in-engine. Every one of them. Tech demos ain't pre-rendered. Unless they won't be tech demos.

You actually believe the game will look like this? Perfect DOF, lights, and everything turned up to 12?
In-fact I would do you one better. This level, entire scene and look WON'T even be in the final game. Or will be completely unrecognizable.

This whole thing is theatrics, are they gonna tell you that they are running a 4090 with top of the line CPU and still can't hit 4k/30?
This is classic reveal trailer before the downgrade, don't fall for it.
this is not a tech demo. thats an actual level from the game. they played the cutscene right after this. that cutscene is in the final game. watch the amy henning presentation. they say this over and over again.

I dont know. i dont care to have this downgrade conversation all over again. i went through this already with you guys before starfield and avatar came out. i kept telling you that its too late to downgrade those games from their e3 presentations but you wouldnt believe me. then the games came out and looked even better than the console footage shown at last E3s.

there are downgrades and then there are downgrades. this is the latter. game is coming out next year. if this is getting downgraded then so is GTA6, and Death Stranding 2, and we might as well shut this thread down because then every game can be dismissed as something that can be downgraded.

i think linear games can look that good this gen because ive played them. alan wake 2, callisto, the interiors in starfield.

VP9jqov.gif

oTOj0r3.gif

NwCvHd9.gif

F1m9ADO.gif

hell, the latest hellblade 2 trailer looks like this. devs simply have to up the volumetric effects to give it a cinematic feel. the asset quality is already there. the lighting is there. they just need to up the effects budget and linear levels will let them push them.

WfVQoYi.gif

Sagii86

Bro ...you're falling for the oldest trick in the book. Esp considering this is being shown at a tech event which they're more likely to go all out for in a verticle slice , running on God knows which supercomputer. It has been explained to you already better than I can the exact reasons it won't look like this.

It's great to know those features are now being utilized for this and the future of UE5 and the fact that it uses much less memory is huge and hints that consoles will most likely be able to use that tesselation tech. I've been saying how important tesselation is to this gen ever since Demon's Souls made such great use of it but it's been disappointingly absent in most games. I think some games use it but very limited ways. It gives such great depth and detail. Even games like Spiderman 2 and LoU2 remaster don't have it if they do its not enough to really make textures pop.

But back to this 1943 game ..this is first and foremost a tech demo and best case scenario. I've seen people try to brush off our doubts as pessimism bit where have you been for the last 10 years? Dishonesty is the rule not the exception! Also not sure why you're making a connection to HB2 as to why 1943 won't be downgraded on console lol of all platforms because in reality, last minute downgrades NEVER destroy a studios sales or even reputation even though they should!

What if I tell you there aren't any tricks and that I've been personally outsourced assets as such in editor targeted to run on gen 9 consoles?

SlimySnake

Hellblade 2 was downgraded way back in 2021 when they showed the first gameplay. at which point it became clear that the trailer phil showed as ingame in 2019 was clearly pre-rendered.

but HB2 is not an example of anything. especially not UE5 demos that we have already played. HB2 was shown off 5 years ago. it got its downgrade 3 years ago and since then every trailer has looked the same or better. this game is a year from release. its not getting the downgrade you are expecting. if this was 3 years out then sure id give you the benefit of the doubt.

avatar also got a downgrade. but from the original e3 2021 reveal. i kept telling you guys that the e3 2023 footage was on a PS5 and would not be downgraded, at least not on PC. i even said that if they downgrade it, it will just be pixels or rt features, but it turned out the game can hit as high as 1800p in the 30 fps mode, and shipped with rtgi, shadows and reflections even in the 60 fps mode.

Will they pair back some settings to be on consoles? no doubt. maybe consoles get software lumen instead of hardware lumen. but a complete downgrade like watch dogs? nah. it will be minor. you will get the same asset quality thanks to nanite. you will get the same lighting quality thanks to lumen. even software lumen which is very similar to hardware lumen outside of better AO coverage. you might get some toned down effects like volumetric fog but not on PC. And maybe not even on the Pro. remember, UE5 games like immortals, remnant 2, lords of the fallen and robocop already run at 60 fps on consoles. if they wanted to, they could easily run this thing at 1080p 30 fps with all bells and whistles.

Lethal01

All I did was post a showcase of their ML deformer tech in action.

Anyway we really don't know enough about the "game" in general, Could be 2 hours long and mostly slow walking for all I know.
don't think they showed anything unbelievable but I was one of the firsts to point out that them "showing the editor" means absolutely nothing

Every "in engine" trailer ever made could show the editor and move around it in real time.

Lethal01

This was a demo of the tech in the trailer... the trailer is clearly real time and the game will look like that

It may, but it being realtime/inengine is irrelevant until it's shown to be a full game that people can actually play rather than a cherry picked to demonstrate new tech. We need to stop acting like its different than any other teaser trailer, The avatar, Hellblade 2 and spiderman 2 first demonstrations were the same scenario, just as real.

Last edited:

powder

Neo Member
This was a demo of the tech in the trailer... the trailer is clearly real time and the game will look like that
Real time *in-engine* demo. You’re definitely not getting in-game *gameplay* facial animations like this. It looks great but the developers always stretch the deliniation between realtime in-engine and realtime gameplay capabilities.

And Hellblade 2 has already been downgraded. Environment, Lighting and in-game character looks nothing like the original reveal trailer. This same thing will happen to Marvel 1943. I'm telling you, it will look nothing like that video. What you guys are also missing is that Senua in this trailer is at the same fidelity if not higher than the characters in the Marvel 1943 trailer. Marvel 1943 is trying to say they will have this fidelity as an in-game character. I'm telling you. It won't happen! If it were possible than NT wouldn't have needed to downgrade. Remember they are the ones PUSHING the digital humans tech forward with Epic not some random new studio.

Was this pushed as in-engine or real time? because I believe they said it was IN ENGINE. The first REALTIME gameplay was at The Game Awards 2021…

JCreasy

Was this pushed as in-engine or real time? because I believe they said it was IN ENGINE. The first REALTIME gameplay was at The Game Awards 2021…
Is this true?

2021 gameplay with the screaming face was a meme for a pained downgrade.

Essh.

I thought it looked like that cause it was early. Pre-alpha.

I thought the Game Awards trailer represented the upgrade, where her face in the cavern looked photorealistic. I mean, I guess technically that was a cutscene too.

Oh boy.

Decima might be king after all. The results we have are from a shipped game. Gameplay models look exactly that good during gameplay.

I guess we’ll have to wait see.

Top Bottom