• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
No The Witcher 4 "Project Sirius" is their next game and CD Projekt said to not expect the game before 2025. Right now most of the studio is on The Witcher :
hLimsxp.png

CD Projekt said that the game will enter into full-production this year, so at best it will release in 2026.

They are building a new studio in Boston who will be working on the sequel of Cyberpunk, it's really far away.
Hes joking. The poster he's replying to said witcher 5, not 4. of course witcher 5 will come out after cyberpunk 2.

Xtib81

Who needs witcher when we have a 13 minute game demo for Kingdom 2 releasing in two days.

Even if they are idiots and decide to make the game first person again, i think we are going to some stunning Avatar quality visuals.
Curious about this one. The studio is much bigger than I expected, close to 200 people.

SlimySnake

what do we think?

Not impressed. It looks like a souped up version of RDR2. First person sword fighting is so stupid. Had they invested in making this a third person game, it wouldve improved the rest of the game too. They have so many animations running around with ps3 era animations just completely ruining the immersion.

I understand that it can be a budget thing, but come on, they spent half of the video saying how much bigger they are now compared to the first. You gotta improve animations instead of just visuals.

One thing that stood out to me were the indoor gameplay scenes. The lighting there is absolutely gorgeous which is weird because the lighting outdoors is meh at best. Wouldnt be surprised if they are using some kind of RTGI because that bounce lighting from windows is amazing.

Sadly the towns look really dated. Very PS4 era. They need nanite to push those next gen textures and assets.

H . R . 2

Not impressed. It looks like a souped up version of RDR2. First person sword fighting is so stupid. Had they invested in making this a third person game, it wouldve improved the rest of the game too. They have so many animations running around with ps3 era animations just completely ruining the immersion.

I understand that it can be a budget thing, but come on, they spent half of the video saying how much bigger they are now compared to the first. You gotta improve animations instead of just visuals.

One thing that stood out to me were the indoor gameplay scenes. The lighting there is absolutely gorgeous which is weird because the lighting outdoors is meh at best. Wouldnt be surprised if they are using some kind of RTGI because that bounce lighting from windows is amazing.

Sadly the towns look really dated. Very PS4 era. They need nanite to push those next gen textures and assets.
Overall I think it looks good. Not "impressive" in any ways, but I'm no more expecting incredible things visually speaking from today's videogame studios.

"Like its predecessor, Kingdom Come: Deliverance 2 is being developed on the CryEngine game engine
and could be a serious technical showcase for modern systems."

-Techradar

if KCD2 is any indication of CryEngine's evolution or the extent to which it can be upgraded by a decent studio, I think Crytek has its job cut out for it for Crysis 4
p.s. I think KCD2 will mark the first major CryEngine release this gen

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This is impressive to me:

Why random guy on the web can do these kind of animations and quadruple A studio are stuck with PS2 ones? (Like the new Star Wars Outlaws trailer when she jumps)

This is essentially 2008 tech.
Ageia animated ragdoll with cloth physics on it (ok cloth physics not possible in 2005).
The problem with this is that no matter what they do, the end product will still look like an animated ragdoll and not a character.

So it's impressive in a sense but no. not really.

This is essentially 2008 tech.
Ageia animated ragdoll with cloth physics on it (ok cloth physics not possible in 2005).
The problem with this is that no matter what they do, the end product will still look like an animated ragdoll and not a character.

So it's impressive in a sense but no. not really.
Whats better out now? Besides some of TLOU 2 and maybe some sports games?

I_D

what do we think?

I skip cutscenes in pretty much every game. The writing is always horrible, and the acting is bad, and etc.
Kingdom Come is one of the very few games that held my attention, and I didn't skip anything. I will definitely be playing this sequel.

That being said...

The first game was an absolute dream, in terms of graphics, at the time. This game appears to be very close to the first game, which is now outdated.
There's definitely an upgrade, to be sure, but it's not what I would have expected from a previously-boundary-pushing series. The faces look particularly bad.
Many of the scenes do look really good, though. The environments seem to be much more clean, compared to the first game's IQ.
They also seem to be hinting at environmental destruction, which is something all games should have. If it's good enough, that'll more than make up for the lack of graphical upgrades.

Still, though, considering how graphically-great the first game was, this one seems a bit off.
The writing, however, still seems to be as good as ever.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Whats better out now? Besides some of TLOU 2 and maybe some sports games?
idk a ton of games?
This is just a tech demo and camera is fixed on the head so it looks more dynamic.
It is essentially animations on a ragdoll + fantastic cloth.
If they can get rid of that free floating limbs, it will be one of better animation systems.

Have you seen freaking forspoken animations or dragons dogma 2?
sorry for the colors its hdr - sdr

Even going back in time
uncharted 4 animations

Overall I think it looks good. Not "impressive" in any ways, but I'm no more expecting incredible things visually speaking from today's videogame studios.
The first Kingdom Come had a focus on the outdoor vegetation, and in the material for Kingdom Come 2 this focus is shining through once again. I kinda like it.

SlimySnake

exactly
also
for me, Callisto Protocol is the only game since The Order 1886 that has similar CGI vibes at times
z42qYSg.jpeg
9j6RM5J.jpeg
1klvHA4.jpeg
OCR1swj.jpeg
Up2SWFa.jpeg
81sOz8V.jpeg

the cinematography and lighting quality, character models, art direction are all top-notch
I have said this numerous times before but the cinematography in every single room of this game is absolutely incredible. its like they just sat there for weeks lighting one up corridor or room at a time. I wouldnt be surprised if there was a lot of hollywood talent involved here.
That being said...

The first game was an absolute dream, in terms of graphics, at the time. This game appears to be very close to the first game, which is now outdated.
There's definitely an upgrade, to be sure, but it's not what I would have expected from a previously-boundary-pushing series. The faces look particularly bad.
Thats my issue with it. i just dont think the upgrade is big enough. Im sure it will look stunning on an OLED in HDR just like Dragons Dogma 2, but i was expecting cry engine to do much more than this.

GymWolf

I'll argue that rdr2 on pc looks better than this overall but maybe i'm too harsh.

Last edited:

geary

You have a distorted vision of what makes a good looking game. Those 4-5 games which looks way better than other are the outliers and is unfair to keep every game to that standard and compare to them.

It's like saying all cars are mediocre, because they don't compare with top of the line brands.

Kikorin

idk a ton of games?
This is just a tech demo and camera is fixed on the head so it looks more dynamic.
It is essentially animations on a ragdoll + fantastic cloth.
If they can get rid of that free floating limbs, it will be one of better animation systems.

Have you seen freaking forspoken animations or dragons dogma 2?
sorry for the colors its hdr - sdr

Even going back in time
uncharted 4 animations

These kind of animations that have "physicality" applied to them and react to the world in a meaningful way will always be better and more impressive than ones that are just animations IMHO.

The king right now are Max Payne 3 and The Last of Us 2, Forspoken have some good animations, but are completely useless because when you run around the world these are triggered in random ways and are completely disconnected from the environment.

GymWolf

These kind of animations that have "physicality" applied to them and react to the world in a meaningful way will always be better and more impressive than ones that are just animations IMHO.

The king right now are Max Payne 3 and The Last of Us 2, Forspoken have some good animations, but are completely useless because when you run around the world these are triggered in random ways and are completely disconnected from the environment.
I would add rdr2 to the list.

SlimySnake

I'll argue that rdr2 on pc looks better than this overall but maybe i'm too harsh.
yeah, its hard to say because nostalgia is a helluva drug, but the art style is very similar.

I bought the original game steam to do direct comparisons to see just how big the upgrade is but im not seeing a generational leap.

GymWolf

yeah, its hard to say because nostalgia is a helluva drug, but the art style is very similar.

I bought the original game steam to do direct comparisons to see just how big the upgrade is but im not seeing a generational leap.
I barely see a paraplegic jump, let alone a leap.

But i barely notice nextgen lights so maybe that's the big upgrade...

Combat still look like some clunky shit, and not because it's in first person like you say, both dl2 and di2 have first person combat and they both smash callisto clunky ass third person combat into oblivion (or morrowind if you are an old guy)

Last edited:

mrqs

This looks more impressive to me lol

The atmospheric effects, animations, art direction and lighting are so much more striking. Shame it’s top down.

I know it's a personal thing, but I truly hate this art direction while in gameplay (cutscenes look cool), and I think a dark souls-inspired diablo-like game is not that interesting.

Was expecting to be amazed by their next game, but it just don't work for me, unfortunately.

SlimySnake

I know it's a personal thing, but I truly hate this art direction while in gameplay (cutscenes look cool), and I think a dark souls-inspired diablo-like game is not that interesting.

Was expecting to be amazed by their next game, but it just don't work for me, unfortunately.
i dont disagree. i bought it last night and i was pretty underwhelmed. its too dark. the combat sucks. and while the lighting is really good at times especially when dynamic elements are in play, most of the time the game looks dull.

I barely see a paraplegic jump, let alone a leap.
lol

Last edited:

GymWolf

The only problem i have is low readability some times.

Last edited:

mrqs

i dont disagree. i bought it last night and i was pretty underwhelmed. its too dark. the combat sucks. and while the lighting is really good at times especially when dynamic elements are in play, most of the time the game looks dull.
The only problem i have is low readability some times.

Exactly my main problem. Looks too noisy at times, hard to read the character. Looks a bit too muddy.

GymWolf

The combat doesn't suck, you are just bad at videogames slimy, dogma2 was the final nail in the coffin (and yeah i arrived to bathal and did the desert part with no problem whatsoever).

I heard animal crossing is pretty good if you have an high tolerance for dogshit games, you should play that instead:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

GymWolf

Exactly my main problem. Looks too noisy at times, hard to read the character. Looks a bit too muddy.
I think we are talking about different things.

My problem is that sometimes it's hard to tell where you can go or climb and the camera sometimes is not optimally placed.

SlimySnake

The combat doesn't suck, you are just bad at videogames slimy, dogma2 was the final nail in the coffin (and yeah i arrived to bathal and did the desert part with no problem whatsoever).

I heard animal crossing is pretty good if you have an high tolerance for dogshit games, you should play that instead:lollipop_grinning_sweat:
i dont think its fun. period. im sure it gets better as you upgrade but i saw you complaining about the weight system in the OT as well.

So why are my complaints about stamina not valid? why in the world do they let you upgrade it if they didnt think having 2 attacks plus 1 dodge per stamina bar was not enough? so why bother? why even have a stamina bar? because they are chasing souls and not realizing that souls combat simply isnt fun. it gets fun by the end game or during NG+ when you are all decked out but it makes for some miserable first runs and while thats the draw for souls games, it doesnt work in other franchises.

at least you dont lose your souls and upgrade points so thats one good thing but overall i was very unimpressed by the combat which has other issues besides stamina. enemy attacks are not telegraphed well and the dark areas dont help either.

Dragons Dogma 2 is definitely easy but it has a lot of issues keeping it from being fun. i dont care about difficulty. ive beaten every souls game and done it multiple times with each class. dont have anything more to prove. right now, i only care about whether or not a combat system is fun. and souls != fun. at least not on the first attempt. at least not when you are learning new systems in a brand new ip. i dont got time for this shit.

GymWolf

i dont think its fun. period. im sure it gets better as you upgrade but i saw you complaining about the weight system in the OT as well.

So why are my complaints about stamina not valid? why in the world do they let you upgrade it if they didnt think having 2 attacks plus 1 dodge per stamina bar was not enough? so why bother? why even have a stamina bar? because they are chasing souls and not realizing that souls combat simply isnt fun. it gets fun by the end game or during NG+ when you are all decked out but it makes for some miserable first runs and while thats the draw for souls games, it doesnt work in other franchises.

at least you dont lose your souls and upgrade points so thats one good thing but overall i was very unimpressed by the combat which has other issues besides stamina. enemy attacks are not telegraphed well and the dark areas dont help either.

Dragons Dogma 2 is definitely easy but it has a lot of issues keeping it from being fun. i dont care about difficulty. ive beaten every souls game and done it multiple times with each class. dont have anything more to prove. right now, i only care about whether or not a combat system is fun. and souls != fun. at least not on the first attempt. at least not when you are learning new systems in a brand new ip. i dont got time for this shit.
I didn't complained about the weight system, i just explained how it work.

You knew the game had stamina so it's entirely on you buddy, i hate puzzles so i don't buy games full of puzzles, it is that easy.

The thing that annoying me the most is enemies not reviving, because i actually enjoyed the combat and i want more of it.

SlimySnake

I didn't complained about the weight system, i just explained how it work.

You knew the game had stamina so it's entirely on you buddy, i hate puzzles so i don't buy games full of puzzles, it is that easy.

The thing that annoying me the most is enemies not reviving, because i actually enjoyed the combat and i want more of it.
how would i know that an early access game has a stamina bar?

regardless, i dont understand whats on me. im simply saying the combat is not fun. how is that on me? i didnt design the game. im simply critiquing it. even if i knew this game had a stamina bar or souls like combat, i would have the same opinion.

GymWolf

how would i know that an early access game has a stamina bar?

regardless, i dont understand whats on me. im simply saying the combat is not fun. how is that on me? i didnt design the game. im simply critiquing it. even if i knew this game had a stamina bar or souls like combat, i would have the same opinion.
By watching literally any gameplay footage we had before release?

Streamers literally played this game one month ago.

I'm just fucking with you buddy, don't take it personally.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

By watching literally any gameplay footage we had before release?

Streamers literally played this game one month ago.

I'm just fucking with you buddy, don't take it personally.
i know. but look at the gifs above. they turned off the hud when demoing this footage. i had no idea this had a stamina like until i saw the era comments after early access launched. i didnt really care because its not like i hate souls. i just dont think it works here because like i said 3 attacks and one dodge and you are out of stamina.

but since this is a graphics thread, id say outside of cutscenes which look like a painting, this hasnt impressed me like brothers did.

GymWolf

I
i know. but look at the gifs above. they turned off the hud when demoing this footage. i had no idea this had a stamina like until i saw the era comments after early access launched. i didnt really care because its not like i hate souls. i just dont think it works here because like i said 3 attacks and one dodge and you are out of stamina.

but since this is a graphics thread, id say outside of cutscenes which look like a painting, this hasnt impressed me like brothers did.
I'm pretty sure that the streamers had the hud activated, you can't really play a stamina game without a stamina meter on sight.

SlimySnake

Been playing some kingdom come 1, and its a very odd looking game. The lighting is obviously very impressive but it still feels dated in a way thats hard to describe. maybe its because has that b game feel most east european games have, but then the cutscenes happen and it feels like an epic ridley scott movie with lots of NPCs, fantastic sweeping camera, and some really impressive dialogue and acting. the facial animations suck but everything else feels so much more grandeur in scope. What an odd game.

Watched the trailer for the sequel to compare and the cutscenes immediately look better with way better facial animations and graphics. it definitely is an upgrade, perhaps not a generational one, but maybe a HZD to HFW caliber leap. The gameplay sequences also look better, but not a huge leap. the sequel is far more colorful and dense. The sunlight feels appropriately bright and the castles interiors have some excellent indirect lighting and shadows. Honestly, its a high point for the original as well, but its so much better in the sequel.

Here are some gifs from the early part of the first game. And a combat gif from the second game that shows how much brighter day light looks in the sequel.

b3yUjQE.gif

6TdU5q8.gif

yzCJ5AM.gif

Kikorin

Been playing some kingdom come 1, and its a very odd looking game. The lighting is obviously very impressive but it still feels dated in a way thats hard to describe. maybe its because has that b game feel most east european games have, but then the cutscenes happen and it feels like an epic ridley scott movie with lots of NPCs, fantastic sweeping camera, and some really impressive dialogue and acting. the facial animations suck but everything else feels so much more grandeur in scope. What an odd game.

Watched the trailer for the sequel to compare and the cutscenes immediately look better with way better facial animations and graphics. it definitely is an upgrade, perhaps not a generational one, but maybe a HZD to HFW caliber leap. The gameplay sequences also look better, but not a huge leap. the sequel is far more colorful and dense. The sunlight feels appropriately bright and the castles interiors have some excellent indirect lighting and shadows. Honestly, its a high point for the original as well, but its so much better in the sequel.

Here are some gifs from the early part of the first game. And a combat gif from the second game that shows how much brighter day light looks in the sequel.

b3yUjQE.gif

6TdU5q8.gif

yzCJ5AM.gif

How much enjoyable overall are you finding it? I've installed the game ages ago and still in my backlog, but the sequel trailer hyped me. I heard very bad things about combats, so this is blocking me a bit 🤔

(And maybe because GIFs make everything looks better, but seems graphically very impressive here)

Last edited:

H . R . 2

which-james-look-do-you-prefer-v0-40k402xorgvc1.webp

so apparently Bloober has updated SH2's Steam page with the first screen
am I the only one who liked the original face in the reveal trailer better, both aesthetically and graphically?
the original one looked a lot more realistic and nuanced
over at Reddit everyone is talking about how much more improved the new face looks while I am thinking "downgrade"

Last edited:
Top Bottom