• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Falls S2 |OT| Mysteries, tall gingers & endless sweaters (series finale 2/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got around to finishing this after letting sit on my shelf for a week.

Ended flipping a coin on whether or not to add the Audrey lips to Bill

93xe2D2.gif

lol

It reminds me of the Battle Royale teacher's painting

:I

-Deimos

I know that painting, that's a creepy painting. Is it the lips or the smiling girls in the background that make it creepy?

Tentacle Bill is what makes it creepy, lips or no lips.

There is actually a problem with the girls though. They look more crudely drawn and out of place compared to everyone else.

FillerB

Allow me to blow your mind even more.

Bill Cipher -> Beale Ciphers

The Beale ciphers, also referred to as the Beale Papers, are a set of three ciphertexts, one of which allegedly states the location of a buried treasure of gold, silver and jewels estimated to be worth over USD$63 million as of September 2011. Comprising three ciphertexts, the first (as yet unsolved) text describes the location, the second (solved) ciphertext the content of the treasure, and the third (unsolved) lists the names of the treasure's owners and their next of kin.

I finally got around to finishing this after letting sit on my shelf for a week.

Ended flipping a coin on whether or not to add the Audrey lips to Bill

Looks great! I know Dipper's suppose to be Rick Moranis, but for some reason, his face makes me think of this guy:

tumblr_lk4rdezlET1qbm9t6.gif

Is Robbie or Stan meant to be the Steve Martin/Dentist character?

Psxphile

They name-dropped
McGuckett
. Why would they mention such a seemingly-inconsequential character? Unless... nah.

Will that leaked picture finally be revealed to be real and not a clever fake?

also: a hearty 'da fuck' at
Dipper from the future
. Now they just be trollin'.

Little Gift Shop of Horrors was pretty fun, especially the Harry Claymore story. And the Handwitch was totally Teen Girl Squad (reminds me a lot of The Ugly One in particular).

Sad to say that I haven't seen Sock Opera yet, though. Hopefully it won't be too important for this next episode.

They name-dropped
McGuckett
. Why would they mention such a seemingly-inconsequential character? Unless... nah.

Will that leaked picture finally be revealed to be real and not a clever fake?

also: a hearty 'da fuck' at
Dipper from the future
. Now they just be trollin'.

Ehh,,,it could go either way. After all, one of the Gideon pics that leaked last year was greatly altered in the season finale. And about your last guess, remember, based on the SDCC 2014 trailer, there will be another
time-traveler
episode...

well she is on the bill cipher wheel twice sooooo... future Mabel?

Also... why am I using spoilers for a teaser?

Because you are a gentleman and a scholar...

Good manners, I'd say. I watched it but some people simply don't like teasers or trailers.

Ditto...

Fuck yeah Wendy is in! <3

I love that username!

Yeah, it seems like they're letting Wendy o&#822;u&#822;t&#822; &#822;o&#822;f&#822; &#822;h&#822;e&#822;r&#822; &#822;c&#822;a&#822;g&#822;e&#822; shirk her Shack duties to tag along on this one. Maybe it's just me, but it seems based off the trailers,
the group gets separated and we'll see some Wendy/Mabel time.
Speaking of, here's a new teaser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlcmYwT3uD0&list=UU38Qv_0pYEdw8WL2MClJKtA

Blanchin?

Lastly, I posted earlier about the neat hardcover GF book that was published earlier this month. I recently finished it and truthfully, it was well-worth the $9 on Amazon.

For those that missed it before, the "book" is split into two parts: Mabel's side is off-the-wall commentary and cute-little activities (perfect for GF-GAFfers with younger fans at home...the rest of us would roll their eyes at these...)

Dipper's side is more interesting. It gives several hints about the series (alongside his usual dorky humor) and its various mysteries. For a small listing at what I noticed, (and spotted across the 'net)

-
Gideon writes a hidden, threatening message to Mabel in his letter.
-
Time Baby references
-
Mabel makes a hint at maybe crushing on Robbie (YECH!!!)
-
McGucket says amongst lines of gibberish that he lost his "reading glasses"
-
Bill Cipher asks about the well-being of someone named Annie (Wendy's mom?!)
-
and through a hidden code, the book hints that the Dipper/Wendy thing is definitely not over...

Keep in mind, chronologically speaking, the book takes place after the events of Sock Opera (both the sock puppets and Bill's possession powers are mentioned...)

Speaking of that, every character seems to get a page or two to themselves...

...except for Wendy. According to the "story,"
Dipper asks her to write a page or two, she gets bored about a quarter of the way with one page, and is bribed by Stan for her space, whom proceeds to post Mystery Shack ads for the next 5 pages (I'm dead fucking serious)

Perhaps the most interesting thing is that the story is "invaded" by Bill Cipher who posts a new code bank to follow.

tumblr_inline_nd3o2hiL361r02qda.jpg

The codes are hidden on nearly every page. When translated:
p. 20-21: DIPPER WROTE A THEME SONG FOR HIMSELF AND SINGS IT IN THE SHOWER

p.30-31: AFTER NIGHTMARES MABEL MEOWS HERSELF BACK TO SLEEP

p.52-53: SOOS KEEPS CANDY IN HIS BELLY BUTTON FOR EMERGENCIES

p.69: STAN WAS A BABY MODEL

p.76-77: THE MAYOR OF GRAVITY FALLS IS NOT LONG FOR THIS WORLD

p.80-81: WENDY WISHES SHE LIVED IN PORTLAND

p.88-89: THE END OF THE WORLD IS CLOSER THAN THE END OF THE SUMMER
p.92-93: SOMETHING STRANGE IS BURIED UNDER GRAVITY FALLS

p.94-95: TIME BABY IS WORRIED ABOUT BILL

p.96-97: BUD GLEEFUL WANTS TO RUN FOR MAYOR

p.106-107: MCGUCKET HAS SEEN TERRIBLE THINGS

p.108-109: GRENDA WILL MARRY RICH

p.116-117: THAT BURNT TREE BY SOOS’S HOUSE IS ODD
p.118-119: SOOS WRITES FAN FICS ABOUT STAN

p.124-125: THE GNOMES HAVE A CLEAR VIEW OF THE NORTHWEST MANOR
p.132-133: DIPPER AND MABEL’S FATHER WORKED IN COMPUTERS

p.142-143: ROBBIE SECRETLY DRAWS ANIME
p.144-145: THE INVISIBLE WIZARD KEEPS UNTYING DIPPER’S SHOES

p.148: THE GOVERNMENT CAN BE FORGETFUL

p.150: GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Hope you guys check it out...

NEO0MJ

E-
McGucket says amongst lines of gibberish that he lost his "reading glasses"

p.106-107: MCGUCKET HAS SEEN TERRIBLE THINGS

Hope you guys check it out...

I was always suspicious that Mcgucket might have been the writer, and I feel like this confirms it.

Cool poster for Mondays episode by the storyboard artist:

tumblr_ndt8f0VGRz1t1sr2go1_1280.jpg

I totally dig Wendy going all Splatterhouse with the banjo. Kinda weird since the trailers
keep hinting more Mabel/Wendy moments, but I won't bitch if we get another "Into the Bunker"...

Hamlet

Chucker

Just happened to be on vacation at Disney World when they released the LE 1500 Mabel Vinylmations. Regular Mabel is 1/1350 and Glitter/Sticker Mabel is 1/150.

Got 2 of the Variants and 1 regular.
7BkBk4Ll.jpg

Cyg0jEEl.jpg

Hey all.

Not gonna lie, guys and gals. While tonight's airing was an excellent episode; I dunno, I just feel it was very underwhelming. They went all out to say this was gonna be the one to change things forever, (spooky "ooh!") but when everything was said and done, very very little was added to the overall plot.

Some notes:

1. Sooner or later,
Stan is going to realize what the kids are doing (or more seriously, that Wendy and Soos are going with them on these journeys). When that happens, shit's going hit the fan.
2. So, another episode where
Wendy gets all cryptic guy/dating wise. Furthermore, did she actually give Mabel any advice in the end; the second time this has happened if you think about it. (The mustache bit and Mabel wearing her trapper hat was cute!)
3. Speaking of,
I totally did not expect that confession from Wendy...(I chuckled at Dipper's though)
4. Another example given
where Wendy's friends are total dicks (they can say "suck it" on Disney?) and where she's revealed as a softie deep down ("I'll buy you a new one...")
5. While I'm glad they
changed the McGucket back story, it felt too much like Simon/Ice King from Adventure Time. Plus, the glasses hint from the hardcover novel confirmed...
6. Just too many teases overall...
7. Maybe the biggest disappointment was
the cult itself. Except for Ivan, all of the members seemed to be total lame-os (which giving no backstory to any of them didn't help much). For example, why wouldn't Bud get Gideon with the memory gun and call it a day....
8. So, that's why
Robbie doesn't remember anything (please don't make him a good guy...please don't make him a good guy...)

For the good news, new trailer's up: Blendin's Game airs Nov. 10th!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JTdSBr7TJU

Why do I have a feeling that is Stan

I'm calling bullshit.
If he wrote everything, why would he need to search for the journals in the first place?

haha watched that episode again to make sure it's real. Cool.

WAIT?! It's REAL?!

Seesaw15

Not as impactful as the Adventure Time Ice King backstory but still good bit of world building/characterization going on this episode.

PaulloDEC

I absolutely loved this one. Got some huge laughs, and the mythology stuff was as interesting as ever. And more Wendy on adventures too, which is always welcome.

And as a Rick and Morty fan, that little bit of crossover was a spectacular surprise.

Hamlet

That was a great episode
even though we still don't know who the author is. Still it was nice to get the backstory on McGucket even though its very similar to what happened to the Ice King.
Soos was great as usual in the episode.
"Mabel for half the summer, I thought your name was Maple. Like the Syrup. No one corrected me!"
Well everyone was great in the episode especially as they were telling their secrets to each other.
Haha that's quite the name you gave him Mable, Toot toot McBumbersnazzle sure rolls right off the tongue.

Ha that's great wonder if there'll be more.
I totally want a crossover now.

Hey all.

Not gonna lie, guys and gals. While tonight's airing was an excellent episode; I dunno, I just feel it was very underwhelming. They went all out to say this was gonna be the one to change things forever, (spooky "ooh!") but when everything was said and done, very very little was added to the overall plot.

Some notes:

1. Sooner or later,
Stan is going to realize what the kids are doing (or more seriously, that Wendy and Soos are going with them on these journeys). When that happens, shit's going hit the fan.
2. So, another episode where
Wendy gets all cryptic guy/dating wise. Furthermore, did she actually give Mabel any advice in the end; the second time this has happened if you think about it. (The mustache bit and Mabel wearing her trapper hat was cute!)
3. Speaking of,
I totally did not expect that confession from Wendy...(I chuckled at Dipper's though)
4. Another example given
where Wendy's friends are total dicks (they can say "suck it" on Disney?) and where she's revealed as a softie deep down ("I'll buy you a new one...")
5. While I'm glad they
changed the McGucket back story, it felt too much like Simon/Ice King from Adventure Time. Plus, the glasses hint from the hardcover novel confirmed...
6. Just too many teases overall...
7. Maybe the biggest disappointment was
the cult itself. Except for Ivan, all of the members seemed to be total lame-os (which giving no backstory to any of them didn't help much). For example, why wouldn't Bud get Gideon with the memory gun and call it a day....
8. So, that's why
Robbie doesn't remember anything (please don't make him a good guy...please don't make him a good guy...)

For the good news, new trailer's up: Blendin's Game airs Nov. 10th!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JTdSBr7TJU
Nice not too long a break.
Aww yeah future Gravity Falls.

Yeah the cult didn't quite live up to the high expectations but still it should be interesting now with them out of the way as are the townsfolk of Gravity Falls going to start noticing all of the supernatural stuff again. No one around to wipe their minds anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom