• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great games that you no longer consider fun to play

This is an interesting concept to me, but it's a point I've heard a few people express.

The best example to use is Goldeneye, which is undoubtedly an influential game and one of the best multiplayer experiences of a generation full of great multiplayer experiences, but is the game still a fun game to play in 2017?

Is Goldeneye, played in 2017, with it's awkward controls and poor framerate still an enjoyable game?

You can find counter examples of great games that I think most people would say are just as playable now as they were when they were released, Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger etc

For me personally, I think a great game is always a great game, though at the same time I can see how those used to modern conveniences wouldn't be able to enjoy older games that don't look or run as well as more modern titles

But that said, I don't think a great game is no longer a great game because it uses a save system or has an archaic inventory management system or runs at 20fps

What do you think, GAF? Is there such a thing as a great game that is no longer fun to play?

Give me the right friends to play with and I can play and enjoy any game I enjoyed back then.

Goldeneye however is a funny example and it's NOT for the same reason everyone has (framerate graphics etc). In Goldeneye you unfortunately cannot set inverse Y axis separately for each individual player. Back then this was not a problem as everyone I knew played inverted, but a lot of people have converted since then and therefore it becomes impossible to play Goldeneye with them :(

Luckily Perfect Dark has the option of individual customisation.

TheShinobi

Neo Member
pains me to say it, because it's my favorite game.

Symphony of the night is way too damn easy, i have to come up with self imposed challenges like no armor/no hp potions/no magic just to have a little of difficulty

Yeah I unfortunately agree with this. It's my favorite game of all time, but the lack of difficulty is making me question that.

noomi

For me....

World of Warcraft, I put in waaaay too much time into this game, and I never want to see it again.

Pyrrhus

Dragon Warrior 1-4 and Final Fantasy for the NES are great games, but I could never see myself going back and playing them again. Very grindy and slow paced by today's standards. I don't have the patience anymore.

Hmm. I felt like 4 was still impressively paced for a game of its vintage. Not too much grinding and enough direction to keep the story progressing.

That said, I think most of the Japanese epics of the 32-bit era have aged badly. There are obvious things like the big, amazing, huge graphics looking poor to modern eyes. But then there are little things like how the load time transitioning between scenes and especially into and out of battle, as well as all the dead, unnecessary time watching characters move around or into or out of position really hurts pacing.

Pacing is glacial in general. The fashion at the time was to make RPGs super long just because you could. A whole 650MB of space on that beautiful black disc needed to be filled, after all. I don't think there's anything you can do in 80 hours you couldn't do better with just 30, but length above all became the consideration in the 32-bit era. (It's unfortunately never really left the genre.) There are still people who want a game to have a core scenario that takes 60 to 80 hours and maybe another 30 or 40 to be a completionist. This isn't really tenable for most people once they get jobs and families. A tight experience like FF5 or Chrono Trigger is something I can return to every couple of years. Conversely I don't think I'll ever play Chrono Cross or Xenogears ever again.

Early 3D console games (PS1, N64 era) are really hard to go back to and consider fun due to the janky controls and terrible framerate. There are a few exceptions such as Mario 64 still holding up quite nicely even though it is among the first 3D games done by Nintendo.

My favourite game ever, Super Mario World feels completely off ever since I threw my CRT TV away.

There's now way too much lag, no matter how and where I play it on any modern screen.
Super Mario Maker's World levels are completely lag-free, but I'd much rather play some ROM hacks.

Mohasus

Not games, but genres.

Loot RPG (a la Diablo), FPS, MOBAs. I've done the same thing so many times that it doesn't have any effect on me anymore.

Jet Force Gemini and Donkey Kong 64 are two big ones for me. JFG has awful aiming controls that I just can't deal with anymore, and DK64 went way overboard as far as collectathons go.

Peltz

There aren't many. I can always go back and enjoy old games rather easily.

But one that is difficult for me to enjoy is Star Fox on SNES. It's just too low of a framerate. I will occasionally play it for a nostalgia fix, but those sessions aren't as fun as they used to be when the game was fresh.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Old arcade 2D beat-em ups are pretty garbage nowadays. I use to think they were really fun back in the day, but now they come off as incredibly shallow, inaccurate button mashers

Disagree, I played and enjoyed co-op Streets of Rage II over the weekend. I can see your point if you tried to play by yourself.

I tried to play the PS2 port of Crazy Taxi recently. That didn't last long.

I bought Rare Replay and one of the reasons I bought it was to play Jet Force Gemini. Found it impossible to play in this day and age.

arigato

My favourite game ever, Super Mario World feels completely off ever since I threw my CRT TV away.

There's now way too much lag, no matter how and where I play it on any modern screen.
Super Mario Maker's World levels are completely lag-free, but I'd much rather play some ROM hacks.
CRT's were the last true great TV's.
I wouldn't say I don't consider it fun but Halo 3 was my life for a few years. Playing it now just doesn't feel the same.
That games multiplayer never really was any good. Everything else was good though.

Graciaus

I wouldn't say I don't consider it fun but Halo 3 was my life for a few years. Playing it now just doesn't feel the same.

Qronicle

Gran Turismo. Once great, is has clearly been surpassed.

Gran Turismo as in the first one, or all of them? I can agree with the first two, but in terms of gameplay GT3 is still up there. Finished it a few years ago for the second time (between 5 & 6), and imo the driving is still miles ahead of anything else I've played (with a controller).

A lot of early 3D titles in the PSX & N64 era would fall in this category I think: Destruction Derby 1, Mario Kart 64, THPS1, Tomb raider, Zelda oot...

petran79

Banned
I am not fond of traditional Tetris like during the late 80s-early 90s,when the gameboy and arcade version were my favorite games.

Other puzzle games have surpassed it. Puzzle Bobble, Puyo Puyo, Cleopatra Fortune, Tetris Plus, Super Puzzle Fighter etc

I'll be specific, I played Turtles in Time again recently and I just couldn't get into it

My favorite Konami beat em up was Asterix. Way better adaptation and more fun but also very difficult.

etrain911

I would answer with Spec Ops: The Line. The plot is what made the game great and once you experience that, the mechanics didn't hold up, even then, let alone now.

eXistor

I don't think I can think of one. I mean, if I found it fun once, I see zero reason to not find it fun today. I see people mention games like Goldeneye and RE4, even stuff like MGS. These games all play great in my eyes, even today. It's a matter of perspective and context I think.

The good assassin creed games and anything GTA including the ps2 games. Just get bored from the amount of repetitive missions and dated gameplay.

I love oni-link threads, they're usually some of my favorite threads on this site.

I'm playing Ocarina of Time for the first time on the 2DS and while I can appreciate what makes it good and what made it revolutionary for the time, the controls and camera are making it hard to stick with it.

Are you me? I'm also playing OoT for the first time right now and I'm having the same issues.

A truly amazing experience in general, but damn if it couldn't use a more modern control scheme, especially with the camera.

iFirez

Minecraft.

Let me preface this by saying I don't think Minecraft is a great game but it is great to many and it's sales and player base make it great in some categories.

I believe Minecraft is one of the worst games ever made and one of the biggest negative influences on gaming culture to ever happen. I played Minecraft for 5 years, I made a shit ton of money from it too, with over 300k subs on YouTube, I spoke on stage at multiple Minecon's, did panels and my life was Minecraft for every living second of those 5 years. Heck, I'm even the author of those official Minecraft Handbooks you see around.

Now, why can't I play it anymore?
It's awful! Janky procedural loading. Bad performance on high spec machines. Samey gameplay. Bland aesthetic. Kids game. Now, that last point 'Kids game' is not a label I would have given Minecraft in say 2010. Back then it was this small indie game where the majority were confused about why it looked the way it did, that's also when I first played the game. I can't even look at Minecraft without feeling pain and suffering. Thank god I left that career and game behind me.

Oh also on the point of bland aesthetics, I don't mean the blocky nature of the game, I made that work for me for 5 years. I mean the lazy and bland texture work and design of ingame buildings/structures that can generate in random places. They're just not very good.

The vast majority of Rare's output. Games like Goldeneye, DK64, any Banjo game besides the original, Killer Instinct, Perfect Dark, Conker, DKC1, and so much more play/look like utter shit now.

Granted, I don't think some of their games were even good in the first place... but that's a can of worms for later.

Opa-Pa

I love oni-link threads, they're usually some of my favorite threads on this site.

Are you me? I'm also playing OoT for the first time right now and I'm having the same issues.

A truly amazing experience in general, but damn if it couldn't use a more modern control scheme, especially with the camera.

It's a shame OoT3D came out before the circle pad pro was a thing, because they actually added support for it to Majora's Mask 3D, so it plays great with it and on n3DS. I'm very much accustomed to juggling with the camera but I can't imagine experiencing it for the first time nowadays, must be a pain.

And I agree, oni-link threads are always interesting.

Old arcade 2D beat-em ups are pretty garbage nowadays. I use to think they were really fun back in the day, but now they come off as incredibly shallow, inaccurate button mashers

The best ones are as deep (and more challenging than) modern 3D action games, really. Check out Alien vs. Predator, Battle Circuit, and Denjin Makai II.

ksdixon

Streets Of Rage series in light of Streets Of Rage Remake. I love being able to run in the SOR1 levels.

Mortal Kombat 1,2,3,UMK3, Trilogy after the Ultimate Mortal Kombat Trilogy rom hack. Why yes, I would like to play MK1 Raiden (my fave version of him ever) against any version of any character from the five afore-mentioned games.

Multiple Sonic games/hacks - Sonic 1,2,Knuckles in 2, 3 etc and Multiple Sonic Hacks (such as Spindash in Sonic 1). After ''Sonic Classic Heroes'' hack which lets you play as Sonic, Tails and Knuckles at once, and run through Sonic 1-3 in one go. There's just no need for the older games/hacks anymore.

I don't think I could play Kingdom Hearts 1 again. I really hated the platforming in that game. The levels were so damn cramped. I'm glad all the sequels got rid of it altogether.

Devil May Cry 1.

That's not to say I won't ever play it again. Sometimes it's worth it for the atmosphere and nostalgia, but boy, fixed camera angles in a clunky action game. What the actual fuck.

Played it recently and totally agree with this. The game was revolutionary at the time but it's so clunky and the camera sucks so much by today's standards.

Swatseal

Neo Member
World of Warcraft.

I love the lore, the gameplay, socializing with friends, and find myself getting sucked in early each expansion. Sadly, after a few months, I realize I'm paying $15 a month to grind gear so I can grind gear for the next raid and I'm missing out on tons of great games coming out in the meantime. My time is limited now, so WoW is not the best game for me, but I still respect that it as good at what it's trying to do.

dickroach

any game that I thought was a great game 10-15-20 years ago, I still think was a great game

I've gotten worse at Rocket League the more I've played it somehow and now I can't stand it

uceenk

Mine's a bit recent.

I considered Horizon ZD pretty great but after playing Nier Automata, it doesnt feel as great anymore. Aloy runs and dodges so slowly and even her mounts dont really make her that much faster. There is some redundant stuff when it comes to equipment and HUD is pretty busy looking but thankfully customizing that helped.

Story and characters are aces though but the more gamey aspects of it just feel lacking after NA, to me at least.

i don't own them but interested to buy both after i cleared some backlog, i plan to play Nier first and then Horizon ZD

read your post make me want to switch the plan, i'm just wondering how much people out there that feel the same with you ?

VDenter

Banned
Every single N64 Rareware game. With the exception of Banjo Kazooie which still holds up.
Every single 2D beat em up game.
Shenmue 1 and 2
Half Life
Metroid Nes
GTA3
Crash Bandicoot
Skyrim/Oblivion
Bioshock
Super Mario Bros 2

ByWatterson

Games are like movies, where some of the all time greats are remembered not for their actual quality, but their contribution to innovation.

A game like Goldeneye or Super Mario Bros. is more notable for what it did for gaming, not its actual quality, akin to Citizen Kane, which while a very, very good film, is more recognized for how it revolutionized cinema.

So, a game can be "great," but not actually, today, very good.

farisr

i don't own them but interested to buy both after i cleared some backlog, i plan to play Nier first and then Horizon ZD

read your post make me want to switch the plan, i'm just wondering how much people out there that feel the same with you ?
yeah from my current backlog I have nier at the end of my list for that very reason, unless I take a long break after completing it, I know other open world games will not feel as good to me.

Already had something similar happen to watch dogs 2. I played it for a bit when I first got it and was enjoying it (just going around the city and what not, was disappointed with the downgrade in combat), then FFXV came out, played it for a few days, decided on going back and finishing watch dogs 2 but I just couldn't stand how it felt on foot in comparison to FFXV. Maybe if the combat felt as good as the first watch dogs it could've retained my interest but it didn't.

So right now for me, the order I want to go though my backlog is:
FFXV
Gravity Rush 2
Yakuza 0
Horizon zero dawn
Nier

With ratchet & clank and COD IW campaign acting as spacers in between if I feel open world fatigue.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Pretty much any game. I can't enjoy playing a game more than once unless it's really really good. Witcher 3, Bloodborne, Breath of the Wild, Diablo 3, GTA V are the recent ones I've had no problem playing again.

Same goes for books/movies. Once I've experienced it then I'm done with it unless it's just too good to let go.

Top Bottom