• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great new Mario Odyssey commercial

aren't road names usually named after some prominent figure who is "generally" lauded?

There are some like Martin Luther King Jr., but I see generic streets with generic names like "Thomas" on random roads.

Downtowns are where I would see lauded figures like MLKJr. Maybe Nintendo doesn't really care and just thinks since everyone likes K.Rool why not give him his own street.

What I mean is, GAF is raving over how amazing this commercial is. I'm not getting the sense that it's in a "This is a great commercial to show to other people who aren't as interested in games," but rather that people here think it's a great commercial for themselves.

Ah, I see.
7 months of data.
I think the mass appeal is exactly what makes it brilliant. Remember the way we all felt the way we watched Odyssey get revealed? This commercial sums that experience up in 90 seconds.

We get start with the odd mixture of real people in a very clearly cartoonish and hypercolor environment. It's familiar, yet clearly different. Jazz music starts, the dancing kicks in, and just as you think you might know what you're watching - Mario pops up.

Immediately, everything has shattered. We know Mario, we like Mario. But this is a whole new ballgame. Yet as this music blends the classic Mario mood with a sort of jazzy musical aesthetic, the pairing starts to make sense. It's Mario in the real world. We get a few glimpses of gameplay that show the cap tossing mechanic. We see the Switch. Mario's wearing a Sombrero, that's fun.

And just as you think you have a handle on what you're watching a commercial for, Mario possesses a human man against his will. Then a dog. Then a traffic cone. All of a sudden, Mario's in a candy colored food wonderland. He's taken the form of a Goomba, a Bullet Bill, several dinosaurs. His shirt's off, and he's playing with a dog wearing a fedora.

It's full of these short moments that take you by surprise, leaving you with a thrilling confusion. Short scenes that paste a grin on your face, one that you can't quite explain. It just looks fun, like the Mario you know so well. But loaded with new ideas.

I hope there's an actual musical level in the game where this song plays.

Or even better, I want this to be the entire end credits sequence. Just have Mario and everybody dancing it off in New Donk City to this tune!

If I were to guess, this plays at the end of New Donk City? The earliest trailers show Bowser attacking the top of the building where the concert is being held, so it seems as if the performance is interrupted.

tsundoku

Note: Gameplay primarily featured from 1:00 - 1:30

In the first 60 seconds of it, there were probably like 8 seconds of gameplay shown.
I'm really not a fan of focusing so much on actual people singing and dancing. Focus on the game.

This is it. This is peak Neogaf.

I think the mass appeal is exactly what makes it brilliant. Remember the way we all felt the way we watched Odyssey get revealed? This commercial sums that experience up in 90 seconds.

I'm just not feeling it at all. The first minute was basically just filled with waiting and small glimpses of "Are they actually going to show gameplay now?... Oh, no, I guess not." If I were to tell someone to watch it, I would tell them to just skip ahead to the 70-second mark, since nothing before then is really all that worthwhile.

This is it. This is peak Neogaf.

Thanks for the compliment?

Baltic

Banned
I don't know why but that ad was able to get out some tears of joy. Man does this look joyful and immersive.

Is it still a game or more of a remedy?

Berordn

If I were to guess, this plays at the end of New Donk City? The earliest trailers show Bowser attacking the top of the building where the concert is being held, so it seems as if the performance is interrupted.

Seems to be the other way around, based on what the NPCs say in the demos. Bowser attacked and Pauline throws the festival to cheer everyone up.

Kureransu

And he is spot on too!
Don't care for the godawful song and dance routine, just interested in the game.
That's not how commercials work exactly. It's to build excitement/hope for a product. That commercial will really stuck in people's minds, a well as the song. Case in point. Anyone born in the 80s remembers this commercial: https://youtu.be/CrATmeFoJPE

When I was a kid, I was super hyped for the game off this commercial alone (even though it can be considered weak by today's standards). Not a single piece of gameplay, but man did it do its job.

Lijik

Time to be pointlessly looking for details.

We all know New Donk City has homages/references to DK, and many of its areas are named after DK characters.

But why is an avenue named after Rool? Was a he a former corrupt mayor who made shady laws that prevented the avenue to be renamed?

K Rool has saved the Kong clan from hyperkalemia no less than four times, and this is how you treat him?

Kinsei

Banned
Time to be pointlessly looking for details.

We all know New Donk City has homages/references to DK, and many of its areas are named after DK characters.

But why is an avenue named after Rool? Was a he a former corrupt mayor who made shady laws that prevented the avenue to be renamed?

Mario and K Rool seem to be on good terms. They even play Baseball together.

THnorzm.png

He probably turned over a new leaf after DK64.

a916

It didn't really do much for me, I thought the GT S UK TV Spot was way better done. On a scale of bad to awesome... this is forgettable.

Then again I might not be a fan of the song either.. looking forward to the game though.

One of the best commercials I've ever seen for a game. Really captured the vibe, and seeing Mario dance like that is just the best.

Megatron

No more so than the E3 trailer.

Unless you consider Mario's nipples a spoiler.

Didn't watch it. I know I'm buying it, so I'm not paying attention to previews. I thought a tv commercial couldn't be that spoilery. I stopped watching but made it almost to the end.

Seeing all thing things Mario can turn into.
Watching him throw his hat at a bullet bill and apparently possess it

AdanVC

LiOptiW.gif

Lo necesito

As a Mexican, I'm actually proud of this lol!

And you know what, I wouldn't be surprised if the actual developers of Mario Odyssey were inspired on this video to create the Mario Sombrero. It's liked by the official Nintendo YT channel so probably Koizuimi and team saw this vid for inspiration <3

Didn't watch it. I know I'm buying it, so I'm not paying attention to previews. I thought a tv commercial couldn't be that spoilery. I stopped watching but made it almost to the end.

It's not spoilery. It shows nothing that hasn't been revealed in promo videos up to this point. If you're on a self-imposed media blackout, don't watch commercials for the game you're trying to steer clear of.

Kinsei

Banned

Seeing all thing things Mario can turn into.
Watching him throw his hat at a bullet bill and apparently possess it

That was one of the first possessions they showed.

As a Mexican, I'm actually proud of this lol!

And you know what, I wouldn't be surprised if the actual developers of Mario Odyssey were inspired on this video to create the Mario Sombrero. It's liked by the official Nintendo YT channel so probably Koizuimi and team saw this vid for inspiration <3

It's actually from Mario x Quix on the Gameboy.

450_1000.png

That was one of the best CG mixed with real life mixed with game commercials I’ve ever seen. They top it off at then end when he throw the hat and it turn to the logo.

Also cool the dancing he do in the game is in the trailer. Its the same dance lol might be slight variation cause that kick but its the same dance lol

Huh. I just noticed that the bridge of the song (where Pauline sings Odyssey, ya see or whatever) is the original Donkey Kong stage theme.

https://youtu.be/6K6PnejXNGw

And https://youtu.be/fbR_pCRPDTg at 1:24
Seriously! I was just humming it and im like this sound suoer familiar..!!! Thank you ! lol

I can't say I'm a huge fan of this trailer but it's clearly not targeting me. I think it's a well made trailer and is showing yet again that Nintendo has their mojo back. This game and the switch are going to be big this holiday.

Also that switch 'clicking' sound was a stroke of genius.

I'm very bad at identifying stuff like this with confidence, so I'll trust your assessment and say that I love when Nintendo does musical easter eggs like this!

I also enjoy it.

It could be entirely coincidental (different key), but considering Pauline is in Donkey Kong and this, and New Donk City is the world we see her in, I imagine the composer knew what he/she was doing by putting it in there.

This was obvious and pointed out the same day we got the E3 trailer with the song lol

I don't think it was obvious to a ton of people, but ok

Wildo09

And he is spot on too!
Don't care for the godawful song and dance routine, just interested in the game.

That's why they have released several trailers of pure gameplay, including a long introduction video. This video is for the people that are not yet aware or interested in the game to hear about it on social media.

Besides the actual TV ad will have to be cut from the whole video.

big_z

not a fan of that god awful song Nintendo seems to enjoy way too much(not a fan of the jazz style Nintendo pushed into Mario of late) but it seems like a decently put together trailer/ad. there's no black people tho.

Apparently somebody forgot to tell Nintendo they were supposed to be doomed.
This is going to be the perfect end to an unbelievable year for Ninty. Mario and Zelda are going to be competing for all the awards.

Top Bottom