• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gremlins 3 has been written & is real. No CGI, twisted & dark

-shadow-

I truly hope this happens, I'm a huge fan of both films and will be there day one if it happens/

Gremlins 1 scared the shit out of me as a kid. The sequel did not. And I watched them both close enough together for it not to be an age thing.

The sequel just felt goofy and campy. Sort of like Evil Dead 2. Like it wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

Because it's not supposed to. The film constantly pokes fun of the plot holes of the original, it's the ultimate self parody.

People like Gremlins 2?

Yikes..

I'LL FIGHT YOU OVER THIS!

giphy.gif

I can't believe anyone actually dislikes Gremlins 2. I'm sat here watching clips on YouTube and its still great to this day. Bonkers and brilliant.

When I first saw Gremlins 2, I found it extremely disappointing. I had been hoping for another semi-serious dark comedy with some horror like the first one, but instead we got a slapstick satire lacking any of the thrill (and coherence) of the original. While I appreciate it more today, I still feel its 67% average score (rotten tomatoes) is well deserved. It could have been so much better, and effectively killed the franchise (until now).
This isn't really true, warner brothers themselves killed the franchise.
It was already planned to release in the cinema but at the last minute they decided to move the date forward and put it out the same day as dick tracy which was suicide, it tanked at the cinema because everyone went to see dick tracy instead despite it being utter trash(thanks madonna).
Gremlins 2 ended up doing amazing on V.H.S but it was already too late.
The general response at the time was actually positive but the decision to change the release date and put it up against dick tracy single handedly killed the franchise.
Yes, it's not as good as the first film but the franchise would have easily carried on if it wasn't for warner brothers changing the films release to coincide with dick tracy.
Everyone involved in the film blamed them for it, but the studio executives at the time were too stubborn to admit their own mistakes and instead said the poor cinema takings were due to the film being bad, this in turn ruined the relationship between everyone meaning a third film was highly unlikely.

I'm all for using puppets and shit for the close ups but I'm gonna go against the grain and say I want CGI Gremlins too. I want to see them doing shit that a gremlin should be able to do that a puppet or robot just can't. I want to see them scurrying around on walls and ceilings and moving like real creatures in packs through the streets and across telephone wires. Climbing up people's bodies and attacking them without it looking like someone had a doll thrown on their face.

It's like when the fourth Ninja Turtles movie went CGI and we finally saw them moving around like actual ninja through the shadows and roof tops. I want that for Gremlins, I want them to be fast and terrifying.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Gremlins 2 was fantastic simply because the humor and absurdity cured my chronic nightmares as a kid from Gremlins 1.

I'm all for using puppets and shit for the close ups but I'm gonna go against the grain and say I want CGI Gremlins too. I want to see them doing shit that a gremlin should be able to do that a puppet or robot just can't. I want to see them scurrying around on walls and ceilings and moving like real creatures in packs through the streets and across telephone wires. Climbing up people's bodies and attacking them without it looking like someone had a doll thrown on their face.

It's like when the fourth Ninja Turtles movie went CGI and we finally saw them moving around like actual ninja through the shadows and roof tops. I want that for Gremlins, I want them to be fast and terrifying.

NXZMpXR.jpg

As long as the vast majority of the film used puppets I'd be perfectly fine with some cgi to fill in the gaps.

Pachinko

Gremlins 2 is a much more entertaining movie than the original film. It's a cynical anti-film sequel that is also a sequel to a cynical horror film not meant to be taken too seriously.

It also features the premiere of Christopher lee walking around maniacally through a bunch of horrors of his own creation (later featured quite prominently in LOTR).

I'm not going to scoff openly at a Gremlins 3 , the time gap may do it a positive actually. Joe Dante needs to make a pass on the script though.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Gremlins scared the shit out of me when I was a kid.

Gremlins 2 was absurd, crazy and fun. I love it way more than the first one.

Curious to see how the 3rd one turns out.

I always assumed it was based on Ted Turner.

I think Daniel Clamp's name was a combination of Donald Trump and Bob Clampett.

Bob Clampett was one of the famous Looney Tunes directors/ animators back in the golden era of WB animation. He directed a short called Falling Hare (It's a public domain cartoon now), where Bugs Bunny gets harassed by a Gremlin. Dante was a huge fan of Looney Tunes and loved to hide references all over his movies. Gremlins 2 even had a Gremlin named 'Daffy'. Even a clip of Falling Hare makes an appearance in Gremlins 2.

But I'm sure the character mixed in elements of Ted Turner as well. But the Trump reference as pretty obvious too.

Gremlins 2 started with a Looney Tunes cartoon, with Bugs being voiced by Bergman. He replaced Blanc. You can find a replacement.

I guess they go that route. But I wonder if this "dark" third entry will have enough comedic moments in it to have a character like Brain? If this movie actually goes through, I would like to see a part 4 that is more like part 2.

NXZMpXR.jpg

As long as the vast majority of the film used puppets I'd be perfectly fine with some cgi to fill in the gaps.

If they balance it like Jurassic Park did with the raptors and T-Rex then I'll be pleased as punch. Close ups, movement-light shots, Gizmo, yes use puppets or in Gizmo's case, augment a puppet with CGI like they did in Ted. But anything that involves them moving around or swarms of them or something, I want CGI. I love Gremlins, they're super cool designs and both movies are really fun for different reasons, but if they want this to be twisted and dark is sounds like the Gremlins will need to be scary and I just can't see that happening with practical effects anymore. Gremlins should be like possoms mixed with geckos, they scurry up walls and across rafters and I've always imagined them to be these very fast dexterous maybe even monkey-like movements and they should be very fluid and I think that CG would really help that.

Basically the tooth fairies from that Del Toro movie a while ago that I can't remember the name of.

Apart from the bit where Chris Columbus wrote it :(

I don't think the bit that made Gremlins great was Chris Columbus. And he didn't write the amazing Gremlins 2.

I will keep my fingers crossed of course as I love the first two.

Edit: I wonder if he'd sound so open to killing Gizmo if he'd created the character all by himself.

This is just an absolutely crazy post. Hates the idea of Columbus writing the script even though he was responsible for the script of the first movie and then I can't tell if you are being serious with your Gremlins 2 comment.

So I am curious, if it was the characters that Columbus created that made Gremlins great, than what exactly was it? Who's responsible for what makes Gremlins great if it wasn't the writer...

Neith

Banned
This isn't really true, warner brothers themselves killed the franchise.
It was already planned to release in the cinema but at the last minute they decided to move the date forward and put it out the same day as dick tracy which was suicide, it tanked at the cinema because everyone went to see dick tracy instead despite it being utter trash(thanks madonna).
Gremlins 2 ended up doing amazing on V.H.S but it was already too late.
The general response at the time was actually positive but the decision to change the release date and put it up against dick tracy single handedly killed the franchise.
Yes, it's not as good as the first film but the franchise would have easily carried on if it wasn't for warner brothers changing the films release to coincide with dick tracy.
Everyone involved in the film blamed them for it, but the studio executives at the time were too stubborn to admit their own mistakes and instead said the poor cinema takings were due to the film being bad, this in turn ruined the relationship between everyone meaning a third film was highly unlikely.

Why is Dick Tracy utter trash? What the hell lol that is not true. It has some flaws, but it also has a lot going for it. The bluray is really pretty. Oops double post.

I have to see G2 again, it has been too long. I just got it on bluray will rewatch the first two. I know the second one is crazy, but a lot of people love it still.

okdakor

Them looking and moving like puppets is kinda the whole point.

Using puppets was just the best way to achieve it at the time... it's not the point.

Nah, practical is always best.

Depends on what you want to achieve and how you work... with mocap, you have actors reacting to someone who's on set, not just talking to a tennis ball in front of a green screen. The new planet of the apes movies couldn't be achieved with practical effects... Rocket Racoon would be a lot more limited too if he was just animatronic.

Gremlins should be like possoms mixed with geckos, they scurry up walls and across rafters and I've always imagined them to be these very fast dexterous maybe even monkey-like movements and they should be very fluid and I think that CG would really help that.

Yep, have them climb, jump and wreak havoc freely without having to hide them behind a kitchen counter or a couch...

Top Bottom