• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gremlins 3 has been written & is real. No CGI, twisted & dark

I must have seen Gremlins 2 about a million times. We had it on VHS as a kid and it was one of those films my brothers and I watched so much we wore out the magnetic tape on the cassette.

I don't remember Gremlins 1 much. I was much younger when I watched that. Still I remember thinking Gremlins 2 was like the greatest movie of all time as a kid. I'd probably prefer Gremlins 1 now if I watched them both back to back.

Gremlins 2 was just so wacky that it was practically its own separate thing.

Critters was the shit though! Waaaaaay better than Gremlins (2 at least).

eXistor

No CG would be freaking amazing. Chris Columbus has lost his edge many many years ago though, I hope he manages to be sharp again.

It's one of my pipe-dream movies, so I have unrealistically high expectations. No CG is a biiiiig plus though, so that's good

woopWOOP

I like the scene in Gremlins 2 with the coworkers discussing the Gremlins midnight rule and how it's kind of bullshit

I should rewatch both some time, it's been too long

Occam

When I first saw Gremlins 2, I found it extremely disappointing. I had been hoping for another semi-serious dark comedy with some horror like the first one, but instead we got a slapstick satire lacking any of the thrill (and coherence) of the original. While I appreciate it more today, I still feel its 67% average score (rotten tomatoes) is well deserved. It could have been so much better, and effectively killed the franchise (until now).

Dabanton

I remember seeing Gremlins 2 at the cinema and that part where the projector gets fucked up was magical, utterly chaotic film.

Absolutely love 1 and 2

KingV

Racist as hell?

That is the first time I heard that tbh.

The Asian stereotypes in the beginning are over the top. It's like Short Round^3.

I don't think the rest of the movie is that bad, but I was uncomfortable watching it with a young impressionable kid.

It's really a product of its time.

Edit: apparently there were also accusations that the movie used black stereotypes to represent the Gremlins. Frankly, I didn't make it past the first 10 minutes last time I put it on, so no idea how that holds up

Sheroking

I must have seen Gremlins 2 about a million times. We had it on VHS as a kid and it was one of those films my brothers and I watched so much we wore out the magnetic tape on the cassette.

I don't remember Gremlins 1 much. I was much younger when I watched that. Still I remember thinking Gremlins 2 was like the greatest movie of all time as a kid. I'd probably prefer Gremlins 1 now if I watched them both back to back.

Gremlins 2 was just so wacky that it was practically its own separate thing.

Critters was the shit though! Waaaaaay better than Gremlins (2 at least).

I think you'll find, as an adult with a more refined view of these things, Gremlins is actually easily the best film of the three.

Critters is most fun when the Critters are doing shit and interacting, but that's not as often as it needed to be and the human characters in Gremlins are actually pretty strong. Gremlins 2 is this weird pseudo-parody with like Roger Rabbit-esque asides that don't work nearly as well now. Gremlins 1 has a ton of heart, is hilarious in it's own darkly absurd way.

I actually compare it a lot to Turtles 1 and 2, or Home Alone 1 and 2. The first movies are way better in all three, but there are elements on the sequels that are hard targeting younger minds to be more memorable.

Occam

I remember seeing Gremlins 2 at the cinema and that part where the projector gets fucked up was magical, utterly chaotic film.

Yeah, that was cool, and unexpected. They actually replaced Hulk Hogan with a scene from a John Wayne western for the home video release.

This is how you do it.

No reboot. No soft reboot. Just bring back the characters, add some new ones to carry forward, and keep the tone of the original.

Thank goodness we have one more series that isn't ruined by rebooting.

Curse of Chucky was pretty awesome and the new one Cult of Chucky looks to be even better, when it comes to a real sequel of an old series with much fanservice.

eXistor

I love Gremlins, but 2 is on another level for me. As a film, it's uneven, but the sheer lunacy and inventiveness of it all makes it such a unique once-in-a-lifetime film that will probably never be topped for me.

Kensation

a13718ac787bd8b8cf78491b7f6a37db.gif

Anth0ny

No CG is great news and I hope more movies start going this route. At this point, NOT using CGI for your characters will stand out more than using it.

Loved Gremlins, hope this is good if it happens.

Gremlins 1 scared the shit out of me as a kid. The sequel did not. And I watched them both close enough together for it not to be an age thing.

The sequel just felt goofy and campy. Sort of like Evil Dead 2. Like it wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

Hopefully the third takes a turn toward spoopyville.

Critters was way better than Gremlins. Bring that back instead plz. Leo can star in it.

The guy that directed Lights Out and Annabelle: Creation has recently said he'd love to work with New Line/WB for both a soft-reboot of A Nightmare on Elm Street AND Critters, and wants them to be set in their original "worlds" where the events of previous movies are still canon.

Add on a possible Gremlins 3 with the amount of fun and scares of the original, count me in for ALL of that shit! Do IT!!!

cj_iwakura

I always preferred Gremlins 2 to the original. How can you hate on a kid's movie with Slayer on the soundtrack?
Lol, it has Christopher Lee being electrocuted, a spider demon, point blank executions, and people being thrown from balconies. I wish we still had kids' movies like that.

okdakor

No CG is great news and I hope more movies start going this route. At this point, NOT using CGI for your characters will stand out more than using it.

I don't know, having CG gremlins combined with mocap like they did in the new apes movie could be the best way to bring them to life without looking like puppets, and with a total freedom of movement...
I love the good old practical effects, but I'd prefer them to use the best tools to produce a good movie.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Oh man this is great. Gremlins I+II is pure nostalgia, loved both movies and rewatched them so many times as a kid.

Holy crap. For quite a while now me and my friends have been wondering why there are sequels or remakes to so many old movies and yet no new Gremlins. And here it is. Oh man and no CGI, yes!

Although if we look at Planes of the Apes, that kind of CGI would be superb.

eXistor

I don't know, having CG gremlins combined with mocap like they did in the new apes movie could be the best way to bring them to life without looking like puppets, and with a total freedom of movement...
Them looking and moving like puppets is kinda the whole point. No CG could nail that specific look, it would ruin the charm for one.

Z3M0G

Yah I didn't know people liking Gremlins 2 was something that actually happened...

Edit: First one influenced a horrific nightmare I had when I was about five that I still remember to this day (demon's kinda like Gremlins only they were eating each other)... great movie!

Anth0ny

I love the good old practical effects, but I'd prefer them to use the best tools to produce a good movie.

Nah, practical is always best. Those original films nailed it, and that was over 30 years ago!

Kurdel

Banned
I remember, a child, loving how schlocky Gremlins 2 was.

I only saw it once but I have kept it in my heart my entire life.

phanphare

Banned
Gremlins 1 scared the shit out of me as a kid. The sequel did not. And I watched them both close enough together for it not to be an age thing.

The sequel just felt goofy and campy. Sort of like Evil Dead 2. Like it wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

Hopefully the third takes a turn toward spoopyville.

I was scared to go in my garage at night because of Gremlins 1

the sequel is just pure hilarity through and through

Fisty

I wonder if this will be Goonies/Gremlins Chris Columbus or Christmas With the Kranks/Pixels Chris Columbus

Cool, though Chris Columbus hardly gives me confidence, since he's basically become a hack these days. Having Dante come back would be great, though I worry since he's basically been studio-exiled, that WB wouldn't be interested in having direct again anyway. Crosses fingers!

If they invited Joe Dante back, I wouldn't care what kind of film he ends up making. He could do whatever he wants.

Problem is they are liking going for that Jurassic World buck, where in that case I would prefer it to just be dark comedy.

Why would they go for that "Jurassic world" buck though. Gremlins was never as huge as Jurassic Park, that and it's hardly the same thing. I have no doubt if they did a third film somehow, it would be different.

Glad it is a sequel and not a reboot. Hopefully, Phoebe Cates will return. I haven't seen her in ages.

She's retired. Originally she quit the acting business to raise her kids, but nowadays, I think she just prefers retirement. I'm sure if anyone can get her out of retirement it's Dante, I think.

Loved both as a kid.....but Im not a kid anymore and I dont know how to accept a new Gremlins movie. Half of the allure of the firsts is my nostalgia towards them. Hopefully the new one is good enough to stand on its own.

Sanjuro

Why would they go for that "Jurassic world" buck though. Gremlins was never as huge as Jurassic Park, that and it's hardly the same thing. I have no doubt if they did a third film somehow, it would be different.

Gremlins was still pretty popular. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it, just pointing out Joe Dante vs. Studio's IP.

Top Bottom