• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grim Dawn |OT| It's always grimmest at dawn.

haikira

Started playing this with two friends, and we just reached level 12 last night.

Having a good time so far, though I'm actually finding the game a little overwhelming, and I'm trying to read up on it before playing again this weekend. I've went with the Battlemage, and was wondering if you guys have any tips and advice, either for that combination of classes, or just anything in general?

I noticed there's mention of factions in the OP, and being able to turn some hostile due to choices. Anything I need to watch out for concerning factions, or am I better just going blind and making my own mistakes first time around?

Last question for now. concerning coop play, is there the ability to play roles, like have someone focus on tanking, and taking the damage, while others focus on damage, or is it better just to focus on having the whole team be purely offensive?

I noticed there's mention of factions in the OP, and being able to turn some hostile due to choices. Anything I need to watch out for concerning factions, or am I better just going blind and making my own mistakes first time around?

There's really only 2 times I can think of where you'll make an enemy of a friendly faction. The first is in Act 3, and the second in 4, and the game makes it pretty obvious that your choice is going to piss someone off. You don't need to choose though and can continue through the game without finishing those quests.

Last question for now. concerning coop play, is there the ability to play roles, like have someone focus on tanking, and taking the damage, while others focus on damage, or is it better just to focus on having the whole team be purely offensive?

I haven't really found a good way to keep enemy attention on to make someone a designated tank. Also there's not many healing spells for someone to be in a healing role. You're really just a bunch of well-rounded death-dealing machines who can work together or independently. At least that's been my experience in multiplayer.

Nordicus

The first time you have to choose between 2 factions the choice is fairly clearly laid out and the factions will tell you pretty explicitly what advantages you'll get by joining them.

The second time is skippable and you can just ignore the conflict and be on both sides.

I haven't really found a good way to keep enemy attention on to make someone a designated tank. Also there's not many healing spells for someone to be in a healing role. You're really just a bunch of well-rounded death-dealing machines who can work together or independently. At least that's been my experience in multiplayer.
There is some room for having players play different complimentary roles but yeah, this is a diablo-clone, you're gonna have to be able to kill shit. Just don't go ultra-super focused on some pure niche purpose build and you may have a guy who's supportish with group buffs or crowd control, a build that does better with bosses than groups, etc.

I loved playing through this as melee, but the game seems to have the same problem as Titan Quest when it comes to pets, they just do not pull aggro. Playing as a caster and having a pet is kinda useless. How come only Blizzard games can get this right? Either you have a ton of pets acting as meat shields, or one pet that can taunt enemies to keep them off you. It doesn't seem like a hard concept to grasp.

koji

I loved playing through this as melee, but the game seems to have the same problem as Titan Quest when it comes to pets, they just do not pull aggro. Playing as a caster and having a pet is kinda useless. How come only Blizzard games can get this right? Either you have a ton of pets acting as meat shields, or one pet that can taunt enemies to keep them off you. It doesn't seem like a hard concept to grasp.

Pets felt like a huge chore to micromanage, certainly after playing so many hours on the WD in Diablo 3... Switched to something non summoner due to it.

Cracklox

Pets felt like a huge chore to micromanage, certainly after playing so many hours on the WD in Diablo 3... Switched to something non summoner due to it.

Yeah they can be like that. I've got a 68 conjurer, and against some things they just get melted. Especially the hellhound. That said, there's a few devotion skills (Mogdragens pact, Shephards call) and a purple summoner set at level 68 that make a huge difference. Theres also a few purple weapons for summoners as well. I've been using a Witching Hour that'll be hard to replace.

You also can't really half ass a summoner here. It seems to be a full focus on pets, or none at all (for better or worse)

The1Ski

Just hit lvl 23 and the itemization in this game is incredible. Really having a good time loading up my sword and board dude with chance-on-hit skills so I'm almost constantly exploding with something! Components take up a lot of space but they're fun to strategize with.

My only gripe is never really being sure how a piece of gear is going to affect my stats though. I liked being able to compare gear easily in Diablo 3. I know it's a bit of hand-holding but I'm not a math wizard so comparing a percentage of offense to points of offense takes more time than I like. I find myself swapping gear in and out and trying to see how each stat was effected.

Am I missing a setting in options or is there a mod that shows the +/- effect on each stat?

Loving the game regardless!

My only gripe is never really being sure how a piece of gear is going to affect my stats though. I liked being able to compare gear easily in Diablo 3. I know it's a bit of hand-holding but I'm not a math wizard so comparing a percentage of offense to points of offense takes more time than I like. I find myself swapping gear in and out and trying to see how each stat was effected.

Am I missing a setting in options or is there a mod that shows the +/- effect on each stat?

I don't think you're missing anything, I think the information just isn't there. They've been making some changes however in showing more and more information in regards to gear comparisons. Maybe they'll add what you're looking for. I know that sometimes it's frustrating when trying to switch a piece of gear with another piece just to find that the original piece was meeting the requirements, so that when you switch it doesn't actually equip the new piece. It's especially annoying on a few rare instances of when a piece of equipment I'm wearing actually meets that piece of equipment's requirement, so if I swap it I now can't swap back into it because taking it off dropped my physique or whatever.

C4rter

It's especially annoying on a few rare instances of when a piece of equipment I'm wearing actually meets that piece of equipment's requirement, so if I swap it I now can't swap back into it because taking it off dropped my physique or whatever.

Oh man, that's the worst. I had this happening to me one time. I couldn't re-equip my original armor and boots after trying on something else because the plus in physique the armor gave me allowed me to wear it. Was a strange combination of equipment.

I had to go to a merchant, "buy" some stuff that boosted my physique to requip my armor and boots and sold it back afterwards. It didn't cost me any money, because I did not leave the merchant while doing so, but it was all kinds of annoying.

Nordicus

That's why I rather rarely equip +attribute gear.

Still remember that screwing me over royally in Diablo 1 when I had 2 pieces of gear sustained by +Strength that one of them had.

Sometimes I wish Grim dawn had Torchlight 2's meet the attribute OR level requirement system but I don't know if that'd work as well in this game

Not sure if it's widely known but I guess there's not cross-play between the GoG and Steam versions of this game. So if people want to play with a friend make sure you're running the same versions. Crate is assessing if it'll be possible to add it in the future.

First main boss wrecked me. Though the area did say there was a monster that was much higher level than me.

Killed him on the 2nd try.
Was he some guy just hanging out in a dungeon through a locked door? I found this place and it said there was a strong presence there. I died, but came back later and wrecked the whole dungeon. As far as I know there was no quest attached to it or anything indicating that it was a boss? Did I screw myself by doing it too early?

Draft

Was he some guy just hanging out in a dungeon through a locked door? I found this place and it said there was a strong presence there. I died, but came back later and wrecked the whole dungeon. As far as I know there was no quest attached to it or anything indicating that it was a boss? Did I screw myself by doing it too early?
Bonus quest. That guy is hard, too. Only monster I haven't been able to kill.

Bonus quest. That guy is hard, too. Only monster I haven't been able to kill.
Oh ok! I think I found him at level 16, and came back at 20 or 21. His level had increased too, but after about 10 minutes of fighting I finally took him down. I let my pets do most of it (Conjurer), and would frantically run around until I could summon them again.

Draft

Oh ok! I think I found him at level 16, and came back at 20 or 21. His level had increased too, but after about 10 minutes of fighting I finally took him down. I let my pets do most of it (Conjurer), and would frantically run around until I could summon them again.
Funny, I was about to post a question on this fight, and you answered it. He kicked my ass the first go around, and I got that message about a force far more powerful than myself being in the dungeon. I went and did some other stuff then came back and instead of being overleveled for the dungeon, the enemies were tougher and so was the boss. Was wondering if I missed something or if it was content that scaled with the player's level.

Funny, I was about to post a question on this fight, and you answered it. He kicked my ass the first go around, and I got that message about a force far more powerful than myself being in the dungeon. I went and did some other stuff then came back and instead of being overleveled for the dungeon, the enemies were tougher and so was the boss. Was wondering if I missed something or if it was content that scaled with the player's level.
Yep, he was definitely 21 when I found him the first time, and 26 when I came back. All of the other enemies had scaled up too.

Nordicus

Yeah, most of the optional content in the game has pretty heavy level scaling, and the enemy levels will keep leaning upwards until you gradually reach their max potential level. Like, the optional area Hallowed Hill near the end of Act 1 is level 18-40

Gutworm, the maneater in smuggler's bassin.

I never killed him so early.

I think the chances of good rewards are better when you kill him higher.

ShadowOwl

Bought the game on GOG and I'm kinda lost at what to go for. Guess I'm starting with a solid soldier for now. How is respec working?

Nordicus

Bought the game on GOG and I'm kinda lost at what to go for. Guess I'm starting with a solid soldier for now. How is respec working?
Super lenient respec from the lady inside the first town, but you can't take out points from mastery itself, just the skills.

25 iron for first 20 respecced skill points, then 50 for the next twenty, then either 75 or 100 (have never needed to go that far before though)

If it's a matter of testing out newly acquireable skills, respec is never an issue. Only when you're super indecisive and have gone through several build overhauls does it start to really cost

Tom Penny

This game is rather awesome. Make an Occulist Shaman that uses totems and vitality leech. Very fun seeing the blues drop. I got some purple shield. I'm assuming purple is good..

Cracklox

This game is rather awesome. Make an Occulist Shaman that uses totems and vitality leech. Very fun seeing the blues drop. I got some purple shield. I'm assuming purple is good..

Ya. Purples are what you are after. It goes purple>blue>green>gold>white.

You shouldnt see any purples till either elite difficulty or you hit level 50 though. The 1st one you should get is for beating the game on normal. Unless you did some crazy grinding in normal and finished above 50

C4rter

Ya. Purples are what you are after. It goes purple>blue>green>gold>white.

You shouldnt see any purples till either elite difficulty or you hit level 50 though. The 1st one you should get is for beating the game on normal. Unless you did some crazy grinding in normal and finished above 50

If you try to beat both Rouge Like Dungeons it's pretty easy to reach level 50 and higher on normal.

Grim Dawn is the sort of game I play through legit half a dozen times and then just feel like experimenting with builds so I use stash files and a trainer to just mess around. Then about once a month I feel like doing it legit again and start a new build from scratch and go all self-found.

So I'm getting ready to dump a bunch of time into The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut, but I keep seeing this thread floating around and all the positive impressions make me wonder if I shouldn't play Grim Dawn instead. Has anybody played both? How do they compare?

C4rter

So I'm getting ready to dump a bunch of time into The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut, but I keep seeing this thread floating around and all the positive impressions make me wonder if I shouldn't play Grim Dawn instead. Has anybody played both? How do they compare?

I've played Van Helsing 1 and Grim Dawn and I think they are alike here and there. You have rifles (like a steampunk setting) and swords, you have a free skilling system and lots of items, sets, modifiers and so on .
They are both darker than Diablo 3 for instance, Van Helsing has dark humor and jokes here and there, Grim Dawn is, well, it's pretty "grim" and serious.

Van Helsing has the "pet" mechanic with this spirit/ghost thing, Grim Dawn has no companions at all so that's a big difference I guess.

I think I liked Grim Dawn better but I did not play the Van Helsing sequels because the reviews were getting worse.
I also liked Van Helsing 1 because it just felt good, but I couldn't see myself putting in 50 hours or more. After 18 hours I finished the game and there wasn't much left to do. Part 1 also had a level cap that I reached at the end.

The Final Cut now has the content of all three parts? Because I heard that the third standalone game was reduced in complexity (skills and such) so I always wondered how they did that in the final cut now.

I've played Van Helsing 1 and Grim Dawn and I think they are alike here and there. You have rifles (like a steampunk setting) and swords, you have a free skilling system and lots of items, sets, modifiers and so on .
They are both darker than Diablo 3 for instance, Van Helsing has dark humor and jokes here and there, Grim Dawn is, well, it's pretty "grim" and serious.

Van Helsing has the "pet" mechanic with this spirit/ghost thing, Grim Dawn has no companions at all so that's a big difference I guess.

I think I liked Grim Dawn better but I did not play the Van Helsing sequels because the reviews were getting worse.
I also liked Van Helsing 1 because it just felt good, but I couldn't see myself putting in 50 hours or more. After 18 hours I finished the game and there wasn't much left to do. Part 1 also had a level cap that I reached at the end.

The Final Cut now has the content of all three parts? Because I heard that the third standalone game was reduced in complexity (skills and such) so I always wondered how they did that in the final cut now.

They updated the third game so its systems would be in line with the first two.

Thanks for the reply!

Cracklox

Misadventure #94 is out.

"Something Stirs within the Shadows"

-Modding tools expected by month's end.
-New free content - 'The Hidden Path' - featuring new lore, new bosses and a new dungeon.

Yay! New, free content.

Modding tools are cool and all but I don't think I'll use em. Though it might be interesting seeing what others come up with I suppose

Yay! New, free content.

Modding tools are cool and all but I don't think I'll use em. Though it might be interesting seeing what others come up with I suppose

I wanne see what masteries they will come up with but i don't think i will use them either.

But if somebody makes a mod to make more stash space without going away from the game and still being able to use cloud saves then i will definitely use that.

Cracklox

So just beat Ultimate Leg and dinged 85 on the way to him. I'd have done it alot sooner but I got distracted by conjurer and warder alts who are 68 and 71 respectively.

I guess I was a 'Sorcerer' but it was mostly a demo with a few arcanist buffs. Plus using guns doesn't feel very sorcerer-ery. Bit of a glass cannon with only 5.4k hp (6.4 buffed) but I worked out resists pretty well by the end and had them all over 40%, with 3 including chaos, at 80+.

That said not much could get close to me for long, and if it did, thats what mirror was for. Changed up and ran flashbangs for cc and attached meteor shower to them. Meteors were great on mines, but I found alot of fast moving mobs would get through the carnage, so with flashbangs it slowed and confused and with a little luck would make them walk around in my mines, which now have fissure attached. Wrecked shit. I also 1 pointed mortar, and attached eldricth fire to it, which was surprisingly effective. Lastly, maxed fire strike and associated skills (except the lightning one) and used abominable might, which I was able to keep procc'd easily with the punch it was packing.

Used 4 toggles, flame touched (with ghoulish hunger), reckless power, maivens and a void ward aura from my gun which gives an extra 20% chaos resist. That's super useful in acts 3 and 4 especially. Damage types were fire, fire, fire, chaos and aether. Wanted to do fire and chaos, but reckless power along with a nice set of aether gloves I found changed that a bit. Still worked pretty well, with both around 500% and fire just short of 1000%

Once I sorted out resists, prob some time in act 2 of ultimate, it got pretty easy as long as I was paying attention and setting each encounter up right. The occasional boss could be an ass, but hero units mostly melted. Ultimate Leg got me 4 times, but even he wasn't too bad.

Still need to clear the rogue dungeons on ultimate though. Got to the 4th floor of the Bastion of Chaos last night before getting sloppy and fucking up, but I'm pretty sure I can do it with my current setup. The steps of torment may be a little tougher as theres lot of piercing damage in there and I don't have as high a resist to that. I also need to upgrade more then a few gear slots, and find a bunch of mythical relics, so still plenty to do.

Then theres my lightning Primal Strike Warder... In act 2 of ultimate and he's getting knocked around a bit. Melee can be pretty brutal yo

Unicorn

I'm in the market for Miasma set. I have the hood, but need the other two items. Are there certain areas to farm to get better drops for certain set items, or is it truly random?

I'm in the market for Miasma set. I have the hood, but need the other two items. Are there certain areas to farm to get better drops for certain set items, or is it truly random?

I don't believe the chances change between areas. Just stick to areas around the set's level, and find one with a lot of heroes.

cirrhosis

Are you looking for the regular set or the empowered one? I scoured all of my characters and only found the lvl 65 ones.

Grim Misadventure #95: Secrets of the Three

Welcome back to Grim Misadventures. First, a brief update on the modding tools: we are currently in the final stretch of testing as we work on resolving some new bugs. The modding tools are on track for their release later this month!

Along with the modding tools are coming several fixes to game issues, as well as some tech improvements. Chief among them is a feature that’s been on our wish-list for Devotion for a long time. With v1.0.0.3, you can look forward to a major change to the activation chances of Celestial Powers that allows them to scale with the cooldown of the assigned skill. This means that skills with longer cooldowns (ex. Doombolt) will have up to a 100% chance to trigger a Celestial Power where previously they may have had the same 15% chance of activating as a spammable ability. Overall, a huge boon to builds based around cooldown abilities.

Following the modding tools update, you can look forward to the Hidden Path, which is an upcoming free content update for Grim Dawn, featuring new lore, new bosses and a new dungeon. With this update are also three new Monster Infrequents, four new Epic items and two new Legendary items.

Updated OP to latest. I wasn't expecting it so early. Good to hear the modding tools are still slated for this month, along with some fixes and additions. I especially like how they're linking chance of activation to recast time so longer skills can proc more often. Can't wait to see the new dungeon, and I want that metal helmet on the left:

attachment.php

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Yeah that is some cool helmet art.

Top Bottom