• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grim Dawn |OT| It's always grimmest at dawn.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Hit level 36 on my Pyromancer. I think I've finally found a build that works for me.

Still wish the game gave a bit more direction. I get that devs don't want to "hold your hand" through everything, but man...Some of these quests are convoluted no thanks to the way the map and waypoints are laid out.

Cracklox

So I have my conjurer at 67 at the end of Elite. It feels like his damage has fallen off a bit and things are taking longer then they should to die. Also, to proc things like Shepards Call and the Mogdragen buff I needed to arm those on damage dealing spells, which inevitably picks up agro. A lot of fights, I need some Benny Hill music going as I run around getting chased by high hp mobs, with all my pets chasing them. Could get a little silly.

While getting there though I found a fire based 2 handed legendary rifle that was perfect for my demo/arcanist. Switched back to him, grabbed the rifle for a massive dps gain, respecced some skills and holy balls he can kill. Rocking around 850% fire damage!! Towards the end of elite, I was killing hero units before I even saw them most of the time. Mines with a meteor shower on the side just wreck shit, particularly in indoor environments where everythings not so spread out choke points are easy to create.

Ultimates no joke though. I've cleared up until Burrwitch and fights can be pretty hairy but so far totally do-able. Prob a little too squishy at the moment, but I have plenty of gear spots in need of an upgrade, so that should get better.

Stevey

Finished on normal last night.
Is it supposed to end like that, just turn the quest in and carry on, no credits or cinematic?

Cracklox

Finished on normal last night.
Is it supposed to end like that, just turn the quest in and carry on, no credits or cinematic?

Yeah. Its a little unfinished in that regard. Its a shame because the boss itself is an ok fight. I'm not sure what they have planned but i could see them adding a few cinematics down the track. I think there's only 1 at the start

Lanrutcon

Yeah. Its a little unfinished in that regard. Its a shame because the boss itself is an ok fight. I'm not sure what they have planned but i could see them adding a few cinematics down the track. I think there's only 1 at the start

Well, they do seem to be going back and polishing things (see: new area visuals and whatnot). I'm sure they'll do something for the finale as well, especially given that there is an expansion coming down the line.

The end boss was superballs difficult for many builds originally. I remember fighting it with a friend and had no clue what was going on because there was too much going on and the screen was literally nothing but effects going off from everybody's attacks.

What level are you guys finishing Normal at? I'm level 40 and still haven't fought the Act 3 boss.

I think I average around level 45 but I haven't actually played through Normal since the finished build since my main characters were in Ultimate by release, and I've been too busy to play a new character through.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Good to see I'm on track level wise. Just surprised! Also, can you farm Aether Crystals anywhere to respec devotion more regularly? Keep trying and finding new ideas, ha.

squall23

Does Outcast have a final quest like the other factions once you reach Honored status? Because I'm at honored and she doesn't have any new dialogue.

Or is that quest in the Bastion of Chaos the last one?

Does Outcast have a final quest like the other factions once you reach Honored status? Because I'm at honored and she doesn't have any new dialogue.

Or is that quest in the Bastion of Chaos the last one?

I believe there was/is another quest that shows when mining the game data but it's either not implemented or intended to be part of future updates/expansion.

Grim Dawn Version 1.0.0.2

[Animation]
Updated the Cast animation for Aether Ray to be more responsive

[Tech]
Fixed Savagery for players in multiplayer games.
Updated Skill Select menu for the Hotbar and Devotion window.
Fixed "Tag not found" on the DPS tooltip.
Fixed issues where skill tooltips would show inaccurate retaliation values.
Fixed the chat window interfering with clicking on items in your inventory as well as general improvements. (Clicking on text in the chat window will now open chat input)
Improved chat window functionality for smaller resolutions.
Fixed a bug where community localizations would fail to work after the game intro was played.
Fixed a bug on XInput controllers where the left stick x axis deadzone was too large.
Fixed a bug where the game window would hide other windows when switching out of fullscreen mode.
Fixed certain pets not receiving their proper Celestial powers in multiplayer.
Fixed boss creatures from not utilizing their speed reduction resistance against percent based speed reduction attacks.
Holding CTRL when looking at an equipped item will hide the tooltip for easier inventory visibility.
Component use highlight colors should now be more visible.
Certain on hit skill buffs will no longer benefit from Refresh Cooldown skills.
Having enough WeaponPool attacks can now properly knock off the default attack from available attacks list.
Added the ability to shift-click items into the Trade Window.
Fixed left hand weapon damage not being included in the Skill damage breakdown tooltip under certain situations.
Fixed racial damage bonuses not working on some items.
Fixed inventory full message playing when starting some quests.
Faction vendor items more clearly indicate when they can't be purchased due to reputation restrictions.
Fixed item tooltips appearing in upper-left corner of the screen.

[Game]
Treasure Troves now always drop a random rare crafting material (yes, even Manticore Eyes) and have a high chance of dropping Blueprints. Overall quality of loot increased.
Increased the number of locations where Dynamite can be found in the world
Dynamite can now be crafted at the Homestead Blacksmith (3 Dynamite for 5000 Iron Bits, 1 Aether Shard, 1 Searing Ember and 1 Scavenged Plating)
Dynamite is no longer sold by vendors
Significantly increased the chance of generating rare crafting materials from Dismantling, particularly for Epics and Legendaries
A new Blacksmith now appears in Tyrant's Hold on Elite and Ultimate difficulty that can turn rare crafting materials into random items of Legendary quality. If your character is too low level to roll a Legendary, it will be an Epic item instead, but this should not be much of an issue for players not power-levelling through Normal/Veteran.
Adjusted Faction Reputation requirement tiers as follows: Revered now requires 25000, Hated now requires -8000 and Nemesis now requires -20000. Overall, Nemesis took a little too long to reach and introduce this fun twist into farming runs while the extra heroes came a bit too soon.
Kymon's Chosen and Order of Death's Vigil Champion monsters now grant 100% more reputation gain while Common monsters now grant 100% more reputation loss.
Slaying the Outcast now grants 50% more reputation loss.
Nemesis bosses now always drop a shoulder armor Monster Infrequent, two versions per Nemesis.
Fixed an issue with the Chthonian Nemesis that could cause it not to spawn or even crash the game
Removed the lowest tier of Components from possible Bounty rewards
One-Shot Chests now have a chance of dropping a Legendary item on Elite/Ultimate Difficulty, with a much higher chance on Ultimate Difficulty.

[Itemization]
All items are now labeled with their type.
Requirement formulas have been updated for all armor. Generally this will mean a slight reduction in Physique requirements.
Significantly increased armor values on level 50+ armor. This increase ranges from 10-35%, with the largest increases at the highest levels.
Reduced cost of crafting Enchanted blueprints by 10-45%, with the largest reduction at lower levels.
It is no longer possible to craft single Magic affix items from Enchanted blueprints. All items are Double Magic Affix, Single Rare Affix or higher quality. This effectively also increases the chance of generating an item with Rare affixes.
Reduced Resist Reductions from skills granted by equipment, new values generally ranging from -10 to -20%.
Legendary - Signet of the Fallen: skill no longer reduces Pierce Resist
Legendary - Deathmark Set: increased Cold damage dealt by the granted skill
Epic - Spaulders of Mogdrogen: updated the Pet bonuses to the originally intended values. The item incorrectly granted the same pet bonuses as the Legendary version.

[Class & Skills]
Devotion
With the increase in armor values at higher levels, defensive devotions (particularly those that boost armor) have been adjusted down.
Anvil: reduced % Armor Absorption to 3%
Behemoth: reduced Health to 300, % Health to 4% and % Health Regen to 10%
Chariot of the Dead: reduced % Vitality Resist to 10%
Crab: reduced % Elemental Resist to 15%
Crane: reduced % Poison Resist to 12%, % Vitality Resist to 8% and % Elemental Resist to 10%
Empty Throne: reduced % Aether, Chaos and Pierce Resist to 8% for players and pets
Harvestman's Scythe: reduced % Health and Energy Regen to 20%
Light of Empyrion: reduced % Elemental Resist to 10%, % Vitality Resist to 15% for players and pets, % Aether Resist to 15% and % Chaos Resist to 15%
Lizard: reduced % Health Regen to 15%
Menhir's Obelisk: reduced Armor to 150 and % Armor by 5%
Messenger of War: reduced Armor to 50 and % Armor to 6%
Scales of Ulcama: reduced % Health Regen to 10%, % Health to 6% and % Energy Regen to 10%
Shieldmaiden: reduced % Armor Absorption to 5%
Targo the Builder: reduced % Health by 4%, % Armor by 6% and reduced Health to 300
Tree of Life: reduced % Health by 8% and % Health Regen to 20%
Turtle: reduced % Health to 4% and % Armor to 4%
Ulo the Keeper of the Waters: reduced % Poison Resist to 15% for players and pets and % Chaos Resist to 10% for players
Viper: reduced % Offensive Ability to 3%
Assassin's Mark: Resist Reduction reduced to -33% at max rank
Dryad's Blessing: increased cooldown to 4s by max rank
Giant's Blood: reduced Health Regen to 240 and % Healed to 20% by max rank
Healing Rain: reduced % Heal to 10% and % Health/Energy Regen to 50% by max rank
Light of Empyrion (Skill): increased cooldown to 4s
Mark of the Wendigo: increased activation chance to 25%, added a 2s cooldown
Rend: Resist Reduction reduced to -33% at max rank
Shield Wall: reduced % Armor by 15% at all ranks
Stoneform: reduced % Armor by 20% at all ranks, reduced % Armor Absorption to 20% by max rank
Tip the Scales: cooldown increased to 1.5s
Wayward Soul: increased cooldown by 3s at all ranks

Soldier
Cadence: increased % Weapon damage to 250% by rank 16, 300% by max ultimate rank.
Rending Force: increased % Physical damage and Armor Reduction
Internal Trauma: increased Bleed and Internal Trauma damage scaling with rank
Tremor: reduced % Weapon damage penalty to -50% and Stun Reduction to 99%

Demolitionist
Mortar Trap now fires the Big One after a 3s delay, down from 5s

A new Blacksmith now appears in Tyrant's Hold on Elite and Ultimate difficulty that can turn rare crafting materials into random items of Legendary quality. If your character is too low level to roll a Legendary, it will be an Epic item instead, but this should not be much of an issue for players not power-levelling through Normal/Veteran.

Got 4 legendaries and 2 legendary recipes this way.

Cracklox

Like the boost to loot... but why the drop to resists in devotion.

I only got about a half hour in after the update, and the last thing I did before bed, was get 2 Legs to drop from a pack of 3 heroes in ultimate. That hasn't happened before. Didn't really notice the resistance changes but don't run a lot of defensive devotion stuff.

Also, really need to get to that new vendor.

Nordicus

Nice, I dismantled 2 level 40-50 blues I got from going through Conflagration, and got Tainted Brain Matter from both of them

Nordicus

It's all about those manticore eyes.
But guess what tho!

... dismantling gave me one of those too, my first manticore eye. I think I'm gonna dismantle all my unwanted epics in the future. In 5 attempts I got total of 3 relic-making rare crafting ingredients

Cracklox

Sounds like I need to dismantle more. I'm at the point I don't even pick up blues unless they're immediately useful. That said I'm finding quite a few purples now in ultimate.

Up to act 3 now. Level 76. Done it with 5k (5.7 buffed) health too which I hear is a bit low for ultimate. Die here and there but nothing too bad. Except for the wardens second form. Nuked the shit out of his first form, but ended up having to cheese the 2nd from behind his door with aoes. Was kinda bullshit, I got him down to a sliver after a few tries, but then kept fucking up, and he ended up regenning to about half health. That was when I had to break out the cheese. Oh and the xp loss from dying in ultimate is pretty nasty too

I wasn't really going for glass cannon, but that's how it's turned out I guess

I wasn't really going for glass cannon, but that's how it's turned out I guess

How are your resists? That's usually what destroys me in Ultimate difficulty, and why I find the reduction in devotion resists to be questionable. In any case around level 70 I spend my time in Elite raising reputation so I can buy the epic armor augments to round out my resists with. Also 5,700 HP is lower than average unless maybe you're running a build that uses Maiven's Sphere for damage reduction. I typically have 7500-12000 HP when futzing around in Ultimate.

erragal

Would anyone be willing to post a screenshot or two of very high-level characters?

I'll post two for you in about ten hours if no one takes you up on it.

Changes still seem strange, second patch in a row for a damage nerf. Guess my invincible guy just got more invincible!! Excited for the monster infrequent changes though.

Oh, missed this OT. Nice! Been playing alot of GD since it was content complete.

Good to see I'm on track level wise. Just surprised! Also, can you farm Aether Crystals anywhere to respec devotion more regularly? Keep trying and finding new ideas, ha.

Yes, you can farm anywhere. A nice run i do is : port to Warden's Lab waypoint then go back to the area before it. There should be 8-10 aether formations.

You can also do a quick run by porting to the first waypoint we get and go to the Burial Cave. That's another 8 Aether formations.

This is what i do when i'm farming for Aether Shards for recipes.

That's nice. Tainted Brain Matter is the thing I need most. I'll try that too.

Not sure if you know this, but there's a merchant in Necropolis who exchanges Tainted Brain Matter for other rare mats (Blood of C'thon or Ancient Heart)

C4rter

Not sure if you know this, but there's a merchant in Necropolis who exchanges Tainted Brain Matter for other rare mats (Blood of C'thon or Ancient Heart)

Thanks for the advice. I did not know this because I'm on my first play through and haven't reached Necropolis yet, but I'm already in Act 4. Looking forward to get there now.

Cracklox

How are your resists? That's usually what destroys me in Ultimate difficulty, and why I find the reduction in devotion resists to be questionable. In any case around level 70 I spend my time in Elite raising reputation so I can buy the epic armor augments to round out my resists with. Also 5,700 HP is lower than average unless maybe you're running a build that uses Maiven's Sphere for damage reduction. I typically have 7500-12000 HP when futzing around in Ultimate.

Yeah my resists are a bit all over the place. I'm basically invulnerable to fire, and I have good chaos and lightening (50+%) but everything else isn't great. Poison especially is brutal. I think I need to look into those epic armor augments. I've maxed rep on a few factions, but didn't really look into what augments they had. And yeah, running maivens, as well as mirror, reckless power, and Fabric of reality from arcanist.

Hp wise I'm a little confused how I'm so low. I've been putting points in physique and I'm in mostly purple gear but I think only one piece has hps. Have a few defensive augments like mutated scales to try and help as well. I also have abominable might from devotion which buffs me to just over 6k now, and Ghoulish hunger, which can be a life saver but I'm still pretty squishy. Oh and I also lost about 500hps after the recent patch :(
DPS is no problems. Fights are usually quick and brutal, with ALOT of explosions. Even on ultimate I sometimes kill hero units before I even realize they're their. Feels good.

- edit - I also found the 1st piece of the purple summoner set. Yikes, therels got to be a tonne of power on that full set. My conjurer just hit 67 and is struggling at the end of elite. Need to find a way to scrape another level, because I REALLY need that set

Been leveling a sword+board witchblade, only in Elite but liking this a lot: http://imgur.com/uu2kMyQ

Tanking and killing stuff 5-6 levels ahead of me with no sweat.

Thanks for the advice. I did not know this because I'm on my first play through and haven't reached Necropolis yet, but I'm already in Act 4. Looking forward to get there now.

Treasure Troves(opened with dynamite) now almost always drop a rare crafting mat too.

Just an example of how later gear looks on a toon. Nothing special, unless you want to show off personal favorites.

If you just want a look at some examples of later game looks here are my 70 Commando (Demolitionist/Soldier) and 85 Conjurer (Shaman/Occultist):
W2O6MTT.jpg

- edit - I also found the 1st piece of the purple summoner set. Yikes, therels got to be a tonne of power on that full set. My conjurer just hit 67 and is struggling at the end of elite. Need to find a way to scrape another level, because I REALLY need that set

If you're talking about Beastcaller's Regalia then it's pretty great. I have the full set on the Conjurer above.

If you just want a look at some examples of later game looks here are my 70 Commando (Demolitionist/Soldier) and 85 Conjurer (Shaman/Occultist):
W2O6MTT.jpg

If you're talking about Beastcaller's Regalia then it's pretty great. I have the full set on the Conjurer above.

Oh, praise jaysus. I was wondering if my guy would ever start looking cool :p

C4rter

The feeling when you get killed by the final boss in the Bastion of Chaos (after going through the rest pretty smoothly) and you know you have to do every floor again...

Vic_Viper

Haven't played since super early access. How is the community doing nowadays? Are there a lot of people playing now or has it died out?

Jw, are there any Katanas in game? Either 1 or 2 handed. Thinking about installing it again and was thinking about which classes to go with. Really liked the nightblade in EA.

C4rter

Yeah that for me is the sign to stop for a momemt. It's such an annoying place to farm.

After failing another time right at the end, I had to hit him maybe two times more but suddenly he threw everything at me, I'm thinking about starting on "Elite" now and trying the "Bastion of Chaos" again later. Can I start up "Normal" where I left of when I start anew on "Elite" or will "Elite" reset my "Normal" progress?

Edit: Okay, I think I can answer this myself after reading here: http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29130
"Normal" will stay the same.

After failing another time right at the end, I had to hit him maybe two times more by suddenly he threw everything at me, I'm thinking about starting on "Elite" now and trying the "Bastion of Chaos" again later. Can I start up "Normal" where I left of when I start anew on "Elite" or will "Elite" reset my "Normal" progress?

Edit: Okay, I think I can answer this myself after reading here: http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29130
"Normal" will stay the same.

Just read your question.

You know the answer already. You can go from normal to elite and back to normal without losing anything you did.

Top Bottom