• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grim Dawn |OT| It's always grimmest at dawn.

Nordicus

Actually got a full set of Brimstone gear for my pet Elementalist. Now I might actually get some decent damage from his auto-attack.

Also, Shaman's teleporting manticore summon you get at 50 Mastery is super handy, especially with the 100% pet damage buff potion that Rovers sell. I first felt a bit disappointed that the manticore was a temporary 20 second summon with 40 second cooldown, but the creature is so useful both in bosses and against absolute hordes

Pure demo build has been...Slow. I mean, I can kill stuff, but I have almost no AoE damage.

Get Blackfire Cocktail. The first major upgrade to Fire Shot also gives it a little AoE juice.

Also fun is sticking something like the Imp's proc ability on Flashbang for shenanigans.

Xyber

There is one very annoying bug that forces me to reconnect to my friends game every now and then. Every time I summon my pet, all other party members gets pushed down one step. Eventually they get pushed off the screen and I can no longer keep track of their HP (which can be handy when I have the healing totem :p).

I hope they will be fixing a lot of the bugs as soon as possible, because I really enjoy this game. Gonna take a break from it now when Division comes out though.

mstevens

Does anyone have a link to any good pet builds that isn't gear dependent? Or any other great builds that don't need great gear to work?

Played this for the first time the other day and enjoyed it. Made me want to go back and play Titan quest

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Get Blackfire Cocktail. The first major upgrade to Fire Shot also gives it a little AoE juice.

Also fun is sticking something like the Imp's proc ability on Flashbang for shenanigans.

Respecd to pure trap build (with Fire Strike for clicking fun). Thanks to stacking energy regen, this build has already proven to be more exciting. Traps and explosions forever!

Cracklox

Ughh. 2 skill points a level after 50 was not expected and a bit of a pain. Its like the opposite of Marvel Heroes.

On a side note, I'd love to see a skill tree of some sort for the combined classes. A fully fledged tree would probably be too much to add, but something like 3 or 4 skills unique to the combined class would help set them apart. At the moment they're only about the synergies you get between classes which is nice, but it could be better

Respecd to pure trap build (with Fire Strike for clicking fun). Thanks to stacking energy regen, this build has already proven to be more exciting. Traps and explosions forever!

Yeah traps are great. Enemies with big hit boxes are amusing. Just chuck down a bunch of traps, do a little kiting and watch em melt. I just unlocked the meteor shower from the devotion tree last night and assigned it to traps. Holy shit! Absolute carnage ensues. Now thinking about getting rid of Mortar which will free up 20 odd skill points that I could def use in the arcanist tree.

Another tip, especially if your stacking energy regen, is to go for the conflagration relic/rune thing. I'm struggling to sustain the death beam for long at the moment (need resource reduction from the arcanist tree) but its worth it for the +1 to all demo skills and fire damage buffs alone

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yeah traps are great. Enemies with big hit boxes are amusing. Just chuck down a bunch of traps, do a little kiting and watch em melt. I just unlocked the meteor shower from the devotion tree last night and assigned it to traps. Holy shit! Absolute carnage ensues. Now thinking about getting rid of Mortar which will free up 20 odd skill points that I could def use in the arcanist tree.

Another tip, especially if your stacking energy regen, is to go for the conflagration relic/rune thing. I'm struggling to sustain the death beam for long at the moment (need resource reduction from the arcanist tree) but its worth it for the +1 to all demo skills and fire damage buffs alone

I'll be tinkering with stuff. I have my points spread thin to test what I like right now.

Just took down the boss of the Depraved Sanctuary. Yikes. I'm only level 19 and probably should have grinded out some levels and gear before I tried that.

Speaking of which...

Add me on Steam if any of you guys ever want to play. nicoga3000

I'll be tinkering with stuff. I have my points spread thin to test what I like right now.

Just took down the boss of the Depraved Sanctuary. Yikes. I'm only level 19 and probably should have grinded out some levels and gear before I tried that.

Speaking of which...

Add me on Steam if any of you guys ever want to play. nicoga3000

I tried that at level 15, lol.

That was a mistake.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I tried that at level 15, lol.

That was a mistake.

Yeah, it was a long fight (especially for an ARPG). The boss sucked, but man...The rest of the place was no joke, either.

Really happy I upgraded to the G600 mouse yesterday, haha.

E: And Warden is down! Level 23. How on EARTH do you kill him below level 11 on Veteran for the achievement?

Mulgrok

In the late 30's I finally found some minion gear from vendors and drops. Went from 20% bonus pet damage to 220%. It appears to make a huge difference!

EDIT: stuff like my hellhound aoe went from 600 damage to 1800+

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yeah, it was a long fight (especially for an ARPG). The boss sucked, but man...The rest of the place was no joke, either.

E: And Warden is down! Level 23. How on EARTH do you kill him below level 11 on Veteran for the achievement?

No idea, I had a really hard time at level 17. Without my healing crow I never would have made it :lol

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
In the late 30's I finally found some minion gear from vendors and drops. Went from 20% bonus pet damage to 220%. It appears to make a huge difference!

EDIT: stuff like my hellhound aoe went from 600 damage to 1800+

They did a great job with how respec works in this game. Like, you have to commit to the hard points you invest in the classes, but you can play with your actual skills for very little investment. Makes me think pets were designed with early-mid game in mind versus early game.

How does the respec work for your constellation investment? I'm happy with mine right now, but man is that a daunting set of modifiers to sift through!

Skunkers

Anyone have any luck playing this with Steam in-home streaming? My gaming PC is a HTPC in my living room with a wireless keyboard trackpad and controller, but ill suited for mouse+keyboard games. I like to play mouse driven games via stream on the iMac in my bedroom, but this game seems to launch to the main menu and the mouse doesn't work for me over stream... =p

Just killed
Warden Krieg
, and getting ready to explore the western part of the map. I've been using a pure Nightblade so far up to Level 20, and it's pretty effective; dual wield + lethal assault + nights chill just makes mincemeat of everything. Those skills up top that have % to proc are also pretty good. I have just a point each in all of them, but I'm seeing them activate at significantly higher frequencies than what is shown, kinda weird.

I'm still undecided of what to dual class to though. What's a good, fun sub-class to complement a melee duel wielder?

They did a great job with how respec works in this game. Like, you have to commit to the hard points you invest in the classes, but you can play with your actual skills for very little investment. Makes me think pets were designed with early-mid game in mind versus early game.

How does the respec work for your constellation investment? I'm happy with mine right now, but man is that a daunting set of modifiers to sift through!

For Devotion respec you pay a small amount of iron and one aether crystal per point of devotion. Aether crystals re-spawn, so its not a big deal.

Cracklox

I'm still undecided of what to dual class to though. What's a good, fun sub-class to complement a melee duel wielder?

Word around the traps is Soldier works well with Nightblade, but not necessarily for dual wielding. You can select the class, look at the skill tree, and as long as you don't invest points and save them, you don't commit to that class. Good way of having a look at what the skill tress are like for each class.

Personally I tried occultist just for the summons. It worked well enough on normal, but started to run into some serious squishiness issues on Elite. Distracted by Demo for now, but I will get back to that character

Did it recently and posted it a few pages back. Did it with a forcewave soldier at level 9 and it's not difficult. It's just a damm long fight.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Did it recently and posted it a few pages back. Did it with a forcewave soldier at level 9 and it's not difficult. It's just a damm long fight.

Maybe I'll make a character just to get this achievement. Sounds like it could be fun.

Also thinking that my next character will be summoner type. Which brings me to a question I've been thinking about....How do you guys go about gearing up your new characters when you've got a high level one running stuff? Do you just go back to the easiest difficulty stuff and farm for drops to give? Or do you rely on crafted goods?

Nordicus

I suppose the level-scaling of areas can help somewhat
How do you guys go about gearing up your new characters when you've got a high level one running stuff? Do you just go back to the easiest difficulty stuff and farm for drops to give? Or do you rely on crafted goods?
Personally, I tend to just let my next characters inherit some of the Set items I've had no use for, and let them otherwise start from scratch

Maybe I'll make a character just to get this achievement. Sounds like it could be fun.

Also thinking that my next character will be summoner type. Which brings me to a question I've been thinking about....How do you guys go about gearing up your new characters when you've got a high level one running stuff? Do you just go back to the easiest difficulty stuff and farm for drops to give? Or do you rely on crafted goods?

There are these chests called 1-shot chests which have a 100% epic drop rate that are approximate to the level of the zone. So after I ran through the game once I had a collection of blues to base builds around. And then on future runs I got more. Now I have basically every blue piece of gear up to 50 or 60. That's how I gear new characters.

Here's locations for those chests: http://grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/One-Shot_Chest

Kudo

Started playing this game now and few hours in on Veteran mode (First time) I chose Nightblade and Shaman, seemed like a good choice with Electric weapon attacks and dual-wield.
Everything hits hard though, but just got to level 11 and haven't died yet so I guess this could work? Nothing too hard yet.

How did you reach him without leveling up to much? Did you just ran past most enemies?

Just running past most of the enemy's and in the beginning kill some to get you to 7 or 8 and then all the way to the warden.
It's really not that difficult.

When you level up a new toon you can definitely complete normal selffound. It's always nice to have gear in your inventory but this game has a good loot system.
Finding loot and then the factions that give loot when you are farming reputation can get you really far with a toon and before you know it you are close to the end in elite and legendaries start to drop so no need to worry about leveling new toons.

So this and what NoblesseOblige said.

Grim Misadventure #92: Grim Dawn Your Way

It's all about the modding tools but this is interesting:

But you are probably here because you want more Grim Dawn, MORE. Well do not worry; we still have plenty in store for you as we continue to support the game beyond its release. There are still modding tools, Survival Mode, an expansion and then some. What? There’s a “then some”? Of course there is, there must always be more. As for what the more is, you will have to wait and see!

Sounds promising.

Will some of those extras be not-brown armor, because I'm level 23 on my main guy and just as hobo-lookin' as I was at level 1.

C4rter

Apparently there was, at some point, a security question implemented before you could open another "personal rift". Like the one in "Titan Quest". I found this image:
mj6j7bB.jpg

Do you know if it was removed or can it be re-activated by a setting I don't find?
Sometimes, late at night, I'm missing a button when I'm a t a merchant or something and I accidentally create another rift in the "city", therefore removing my real rift. That can be annoying and I liked this security question in "Titan Quest".

Apparently there was, at some point, a security question implemented before you could open another "personal rift". Like the one in "Titan Quest". I found this image:
mj6j7bB.jpg

Do you know if it was removed or can it be re-activated by a setting I don't find?
Sometimes, late at night, I'm missing a button when I'm a t a merchant or something and I accidentally create another rift in the "city", therefore removing my real rift. That can be annoying and I liked this security question in "Titan Quest".

Maybe in the files of the game there is still an option to add it but i see nothing in the game settings to switch rift options.

Nymerio

Really happy with my Demolishionist. Switched some points around and I've now maxed out almost all Firestrike modifiers (left out the two hand skill and the elektro skill). Also got rid of Grenado and switched to the cluster bomb thingy. Damage output is pretty crazy now. Still don't have any points in the Occultist tree aside from a couple of mastery points. Not sure where I'm going to spend points there. I think the Bat gives bonus fire damage? That may be alright.

Really happy with my Demolishionist. Switched some points around and I've now maxed out almost all Firestrike modifiers (left out the two hand skill and the elektro skill). Also got rid of Grenado and switched to the cluster bomb thingy. Damage output is pretty crazy now. Still don't have any points in the Occultist tree aside from a couple of mastery points. Not sure where I'm going to spend points there. I think the Bat gives bonus fire damage? That may be alright.

The bat is mainly lighting but it gives you resistances and health restoration.

Maybe put some points in sigil of consumption and detruction(gives some fire damage)

I have not played a pyromancer so i'm not the right guy to give advice.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

What I've seen people doing is pumping points into Curse of Frailty and Vulnerability. Those two skills are basically a huge debuff to the enemy.

Cracklox

Damn this game. Just when I thought I had a setup that would destroy everything it knocks me down a few notches. That Steps of Torment rogue dungeon is no joke on Elite. I think I only made it to the second boss room, after barely making it through the 1st

Sounds promising.

Will some of those extras be not-brown armor, because I'm level 23 on my main guy and just as hobo-lookin' as I was at level 1.

Ha. Yeah I just got to 60 last night and my dude looks pretty similar to when he was level 20. I think thats mostly cause I've rocked the Gunslinger jacket the whole time. I REALLY need a replacement for that and its shitty 110 armor rating. Some of the Legendries I've found look a little different with some color (gasp) but I think of the 6 or so I've had drop I've found 4 pairs of boots :(

Kudo

As a Trickster is it normal that yellow mobs wreck my shit? I need to constantly stay cautious and use the "Charge/Shadow step" kind of ability to take care of stronger mobs, forgot the name but it has 4 second cooldown.
Playing on Veteran, any tips? My gear probably sucks too, just about to face the Warden I think, level 19.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
This game REALLY favors auto-attacks. Just respeced my Demo again to max Brimstone. Damage is SO much and takes very little effort.

As a Trickster is it normal that yellow mobs wreck my shit? I need to constantly stay cautious and use the "Charge/Shadow step" kind of ability to take care of stronger mobs, forgot the name but it has 4 second cooldown.
Playing on Veteran, any tips? My gear probably sucks too, just about to face the Warden I think, level 19.

What I tend to do on new builds is focus mostly on raising mastery levels as it quickly gives you more health, and physique to equip better armor. By level 10 I usually have 15-20 mastery levels. As a trickster I'd grab Blade Barrier and Pneumatic Burst (from Nightblade tree). They do wonders for survivability.

Also I stopped using Veteran mode after about a dozen runs through the game. It was just keeping me from getting to the higher areas sooner.

Kudo

What I tend to do on new builds is focus mostly on raising mastery levels as it quickly gives you more health, and physique to equip better armor. By level 10 I usually have 15-20 mastery levels. As a trickster I'd grab Blade Barrier and Pneumatic Burst (from Nightblade tree). They do wonders for survivability.

Also I stopped using Veteran mode after about a dozen runs through the game. It was just keeping me from getting to the higher areas sooner.

Thanks, will try to level those up next.
I'm doing my first run whilst waiting for Dark Souls 3 (theme here kinda reminds me of it) so Veteran feels appropriate, heh. If it gets too tough I'll drop it down to Normal though, there's no repercussion for doing so right?

Thanks, will try to level those up next.
I'm doing my first run whilst waiting for Dark Souls 3 (theme here kinda reminds me of it) so Veteran feels appropriate, heh. If it gets too tough I'll drop it down to Normal though, there's no repercussion for doing so right?

The only potential repercussion is less hero/champion spawns, but I generally don't care for those until mid to end-game.

Finally playing this. Never played Titan Quest or Diablo, so this is my introduction to the genre. Decided to go with the Demolitionist. Haven't even gotten to the Burial Hill yet, it's fun testing out new weapons

Fou-Lu

Finished normal for the first time. Really damn fun game with much too samey environments and an incredibly disappointing ending. Titan Quest is by far a better game, but I still really like this one and hope an eventual expansion will improve it greatly.

Lanrutcon

Finished normal for the first time. Really damn fun game with much too samey environments and an incredibly disappointing ending. Titan Quest is by far a better game, but I still really like this one and hope an eventual expansion will improve it greatly.

I remember Titan Quest as being really, really padded. That act 1 took freaking forever. Goat men. All the goat men.

Egypt was bloody amazing though. My favorite area.

Fou-Lu

I remember Titan Quest as being really, really padded. That act 1 took freaking forever. Goat men. All the goat men.

Egypt was bloody amazing though. My favorite area.

You are definitely right there, though Grim Dawn has its fair share of padding too. The areas and boss fighters were just much more distinct, flavourful and memorable in Titan Quest, as were the masteries/classes.

Top Bottom