• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grimes - Art Angels |OT| Out now! Welcome to REALiTi

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I can't believe I listened to that DUMPSTER FIRE leak version of Kill V Maim a hundred times over the last two days what the FUCK was I thinking holy shit the real version is N I G H T and F U C K I N G D A Y somebody hold meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

First impressions, she went too pop :(

And the guy who said Visions only had 3 or 4 good songs, wtf son?

I don't really consider this album too pop. It's still pretty experimental, I think people are just so used to Grimes being really out there in terms of her production. Even though this album varies in sound, it's her most cohesive album yet.

Can't really understand why people want hero make Visions pt. 2. Grimes has always grown as an artist, I mean, she was making albums in Garage Band for Christ sake. This is just the next step in her maturing as an artist.

Servbot24

Banned
Grimes has never been "out there". This is by far her weirdest album, her first where she really embraces an identity instead of hiding behind a shroud of generic reverb.

most enjoyable Grimes album

except for what she did to Realiti, yeesh.

It's barely any different.

omgkitty

I was really prepared to hate this, but I actually kinda like it. Very much reminds me of Charlie XCX or Sky Ferreira. Not sure how long I'll listen to it. I kept coming back to Visions, but stuff like this I usually tend to listen to a few times and forget about. Still find it hilarious how she disowned Oblivion which is one of the best songs of the last 5 years and then makes a pop album.

jorgeton

Listened to it on the way to work this morning.

tumblr_n7d2kmJgcU1smcbm7o1_250.gif

I guess Flesh and Blood was not the outlier. It's all a little too relentlessly upbeat and poppy for me. Had to shut it off halfway through. It was giving me 90's alt teen pop teas. It's not a bad album and I can see some people really loving it... just was not doing it for me at all.

I really, really love it. There's always a moment of hesitation and worry when an artist you love puts out a new album (especially after having to follow up a masterpiece), but I think this album is pretty wonderful. It's definitely more pop orientated, which I know is something that she strived for since the beginning. Venus Fly is fucking incredible, and the new version of Realti sounds fantastic (although I might just prefer the lost unmastered version more, but that may be only cause I've listened to it so much).

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Is it possible for an album to be too good? Like 8 or 9 of these songs would be the best song on any other album.

First impressions, she went too pop :(

And the guy who said Visions only had 3 or 4 good songs, wtf son?

I'm the guy who said that Visions only had 3 good songs. That is because it is true, and I only like the first song because it gets me in the mood for the only two songs that matter.

The rest of that album is junk. This album too, I've only listened to it twice, seems to follow a similar trend. 3-4 good songs, and a bunch of noise. I'm indifferent to the differences in 'Realiti', I like them both.

Too pop doesn't sound like a bad thing to me. If she went 100% pop, she might accidentally make a great album instead of a few great songs in a sea of mediocrity. Scratch that.
Shit, I can't really say that. I did enjoy this whole album a lot more the second time, which never happened for Visions. I need another listen this afternoon.

The album is really impressive in how confident it is. She really doubled down on the pop sound, but still kept it weird enough that it sounds like a Grimes album. It's almost a deconstruction of a pop album. It makes me really excited to see what she does when she starts producing tracks for other artists, she's a mad genius.

Futureman

It's pretty great after one listen. Servbot you are insane if you think her past stuff is "tripe" and you love this.

"Realiti" is probably my favorite but I prefer the more subdued sounding earlier version. I agree overall the album feels a little too poppy/uppity for my tastes.... I like how "Visions" felt like some weird meditation yet still catchy. There aren't any songs quite like "Genesis" or "Oblivion" on here so I'm not really sure if she'll see any further breakout success. I can't wait to smoke a bowl later and give another listen...

Dead

well not really...yet
Started listening to this last night. Was pretty drunk but it was amazing. Can't wait to listen to it in full while sober lol

So much more poppy than what I usually go for, even moreso than Visions and Purity Ring's stuff. At least those records have gloom-pop moments, while Art Angels is a straight sugar rush. I mean, if I listen to this and like it, I reasonably may listen to CRJ and Charlii XCX and enjoy them too, right? I can't listen to this without like a knowing smirk. It's catchy and I love Grimes, but this leaves me questioning.

big ander

first impression: not bad! don't love it but it's a decent enough record. some track notes:
California - this is great. maybe my favorite track. In a weird way reminds me of Contra-era VW's more processed songs.
Scream - still fairly interesting, and definitely doesn't belong on the album. Grimes may say every song on here is soooo different but they all fit together neatly other than this, and its relative eclecticism doesn't improve the album in any way.
Flesh w/o Blood - still boring, though I like it so much more divorced from the cringeworthy video
Belly of the Beat through Pin - nice consistently fun suite of tracks overall, most don't stand out in any particular way except Kill V. Maim which rips. that's a fuckin tune. Some of this does clarify what makes Fw/oB boring to me though: Grimes is relying on a lot of super simple pop sounds, which is just fine, but the songs don't travel through enough phases. the choruses (when they exist) and verses sound too similar, so even if I like a song plenty at the beginning by 2:30 I'm eager for a change.
Realiti - that thumping drum is waaaaay too high in the mix and is especially out of place in the chorus. otherwise it'd be just as good as the demo.
Venus Fly - on a bit of a wonky tip. could slide this in between some rustie or hudmo.
Butterfly - you know when the series finale to a tv show isn't bad, but feels like it's sort of just going through the motions trying to do what a finale should do?

RMI

Banned
Love the direction she went with this album. I enjoyed Visions but after repeat listens I found it to be a little dull. Curious how this will do with repeat listens.

I can't listen to this without like a knowing smirk. It's catchy and I love Grimes, but this leaves me questioning.

I've been here before. It's okay to just like this music without rationalizing it.

amaretto

World Princess is killing me. My favorite track and already top 3 Grimes for me.

This album is phenomenal. I could do without California and BOTB but besides that nothing has disappointed so far.

Kevtones

Been listening a lot the past two days...

Feel like she's absolutely separating herself with this record. It's risky and confident as fuck. Compare it to to Chrvches or Purity Ring's latest - she's taking the damn step here.

/hyperbole

Futureman

"Realiti" soooo good. She definitely needs this as her next single.

"Realiti" to me has that slow, moody, ethereal YET still catchy beat that Oblivion and Genesis had. Doesn't seem like anything else on Art Angels has this sound.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not so into it, but I'll give it another listen or two. I'll always have Visions to fall back on. I don't know how to talk about music; this thread is bizarre.

I'm not so into it, but I'll give it another listen or two. I'll always have Visions to fall back on. I don't know how to talk about music; this thread is bizarre.

If you want to learn about how to talk about music, I'd recommend reading any review on www.pitchfork.com . There are some really smart writers over there who know how to articulate their feelings... . . .k pbbbllllt. Sorry, I just can't lie to you. Just like what you like.

Mission

So I restarted where I left off last night.... at Venus Fly.
I don't mind the tracks I listened to this afternoon nearly as much.
I'll start over. I still way prefer the original Realiti. Not likely to get over that one. But maybe I won't mind the other tracks.
I mean... atm I have MC Sar and Real McCoy playing (it was the next album alphabetically in what's currently in my iTunes library) and it's the same level of pop. I guess it's at least partially expectations.

Mission

You know I think it's the Avril Lavigne fake K pop voice that's throwing it off for me. It's definitely the difference on Realiti. When she's not doing that I find myself liking the songs (Kill V Maim right now) but then she changes the vocal and I want to skip to the next song.

abunai

Equally as good as visions for different reasons
love it

it didn't knock garden of delete off my AOTY, but still top 5 easy

y2dvd

I really wanted to like this album. I adored the previous albums, but this one got me cringing a few times. And I don't know if it's just me but even this version of Realiti sounds butchered from the early release.

I'll give it another spin. Maybe it'll grow on me, but geez am I extremely disappointed the first listen through.

ngower

Y'all are making me nervous that this album sucks, but happy that I didn't pre-order the LP. Eager to give this a listen when I get home.

andymcc

Banned
Listening for the first time:

laughing and not being normal - yes, nice intro
California - fuck yes, love the upbeat vibe on this one
Scream - still good
Flesh Without Blood - still great
Belly of the Beat - nice, strong song
Kill V. Maim - holy shit, yes, yes, fuck yes, that chorus
Artangels - it's nice, filler maybe (?)
Easily - super filler, strange that it's even included
Pin - it's alright, a little too "cheesy anime credits song-esque" though, filler (?)
Realiti - still good, the changes don't bother me much, still got a good vibe to it
World Princess part II - it's alright, perhaps another filler (?)
Venus Fly - yes love the Janelle feature, definitely a highlight
Life in the Vivid Dream - should have kept going, strange why it's not even 1 1/2 minutes
Butterfly - it's alright, was expecting more...

I am kind of surprised by the amount of filler tracks. The album largely drops off after Kill V. Maim, which was totally unexpected. Strange.

Highlights: California, Scream, Flesh Without Blood, Belly of the Beat, Kill V. Maim, Realiti, Venus Fly

Trinity: California, Kill V. Maim, Flesh Without Blood

Would probably give it a 7 out of 10. I was expecting a little better, I'm kind of disappointed honestly. When she goes there it's perfect, when she doesn't it's boring. Definitely a step down from Visions. Still, at least I got a few really strong songs to play out like crazy for the next few weeks.

How are these tracks you are calling filler actually filler though? I don't get it, they're fully formed and composed songs, not segues or skits....

Pretty mediocre album. Laughing and not being normal, California and belly of the beat were pretty great though. New Realiti version might grow on me, but i don't know.

Completely wasted hype, Fallout 4 better deliver or i don't know what the fuck i'm supposed to do.

edit: kill v. maim was pretty good too. Had more of the "old" grimes sound.

LiQuid!

Listening for the first time:

laughing and not being normal - yes, nice intro
California - fuck yes, love the upbeat vibe on this one
Scream - still good
Flesh Without Blood - still great
Belly of the Beat - nice, strong song
Kill V. Maim - holy shit, yes, yes, fuck yes, that chorus
Artangels - it's nice, filler maybe (?)
Easily - super filler, strange that it's even included
Pin - it's alright, a little too "cheesy anime credits song-esque" though, filler (?)
Realiti - still good, the changes don't bother me much, still got a good vibe to it
World Princess part II - it's alright, perhaps another filler (?)
Venus Fly - yes love the Janelle feature, definitely a highlight
Life in the Vivid Dream - should have kept going, strange why it's not even 1 1/2 minutes
Butterfly - it's alright, was expecting more...

I am kind of surprised by the amount of filler tracks. The album largely drops off after Kill V. Maim, which was totally unexpected. Strange.

Highlights: California, Scream, Flesh Without Blood, Belly of the Beat, Kill V. Maim, Realiti, Venus Fly

Trinity: California, Kill V. Maim, Flesh Without Blood

Would probably give it a 7 out of 10. I was expecting a little better, I'm kind of disappointed honestly. When she goes there it's perfect, when she doesn't it's boring. Definitely a step down from Visions. Still, at least I got a few really strong songs to play out like crazy for the next few weeks.

Artangels and WPptII are 2 of the best songs on this or any album.

Alright, listening to the album for most of the day today and I have say this is probably my favorite Grimes album. The vibe and flow of the album is giving me life. Hyped for her live show the day before Thanksgiving.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Grimes' Artpop ain't too bad but most of the album is kind of middling, this doesn't even register in the top 5 releases of the year imo

The 3.5 standout tracks I use:

California
Realiti
Butterfly

About 50% of Venus Fly

Her "style" isn't as unique sounding as people make it out to be

ON7FJnO.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom