• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grizzly Adams (Dan Haggerty) dies of cancer. Dead at age 74

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.tmz.com/2016/01/15/dan-haggerty-dead-grizzly-adams/

Famous '70s TV star Dan Haggerty -- who played Grizzly Adams -- died from cancer early Friday morning ... TMZ has learned.
Haggerty died after battling cancer for the last few months. Sources close to Dan's family tell us doctors discovered the cancer after he had surgery for back pain.
Haggerty starred in the 1977 hit TV show "The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams" as the lovable mountain man whose BFF was a grizzly bear. He also guest starred on several TV shows like "CHiPs" and "Charlie's Angels."

0115-main-haggerty-getty-7.jpg

Ridley327

RIP. Never thought much of him as an actor, but he seemed like a pretty chill dude. The last thing I remember seeing him was in a cameo for a Syfy film about a Bigfoot-type monster that winds up pushing his head into a giant saw.

akira28

Worst first post of the day already on lockdown.

Anyway, RIP. Never thought much of him as an actor, but he seemed like a pretty chill dude. The last thing I remember seeing him was in a cameo for a Syfy film about a Bigfoot-type monster that winds up pushing his head into a giant saw.

his head, or the bigfoot monster's head?

edit: apparently Celine Dion's husband has finally succumbed to his battle with cancer as well.

Kalamari

Grizzly Adams is one of the all-time manliest tv characters. Bear as a best friend and a godlike beard, pretty hard combo to beat. This man will be missed by many.

Ridley327

his head, or the bigfoot monster's head?

His head.

I actually remember now that it wasn't a Bigfoot film per se, but one about a suspiciously Sasquatch-like Paul Bunyan, and he was enacting his revenge on Grizzly and co. for killing and eating Babe the blue ox.

Trust me, it's not nearly as good as it sounds.

I mean, is there any correlation with the fact that three celebrities died of cancer at around the same age? Did smoking get really big for a period in their time?

I used to watch Grizzly Adams when I was a kid bunking off school. I'm coming up to that time when everyone I knew as a kid are dying. Bummer.

I mean, is there any correlation with the fact that three celebrities died of cancer at around the same age? Did smoking get really big for a period in their time?

Just a reflection of the reality that 50% of all men are now expected to get cancer at some point in their lives. By 2050 it will be closer to 100% than 50%.

massoluk

Banned
I never heard of this person unfortunately, but RIP. Cancer is busy these days.

May not be appropriate, but I just wanted someone to explain to me the beard joke from Happy Gilmore.

I was born in '77 but watched the reruns for this. Loved the show when I was growing up.

RIP Mr Haggerty.

Fuck you cancer, you disgusting vile piece of shit. :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just a reflection of the reality that 50% of all men are now expected to get cancer at some point in their lives. By 2050 it will be closer to 100% than 50%.

Why would it increase? Longer life expectancy? You'd think diet would be improving and smoking rates are lower

Nivash

Why would it increase? Longer life expectancy? You'd think diet would be improving and smoking rates are lower

Almost exclusively longer life expectancy. If you're not dying from something else you'll probably die of cancer. For men this is particularly pronounced because pretty much all of us would eventually get prostate cancer if we lived long enough, the only thing that has held our rates down is our tendency to die from cardiovascular illnesses. With those on the decline, thanks to revolutionary improvement in treatment, more of us get old enough for prostate cancer to catch up.

Someone needs to cure cancer, this is ridiculous.

Unlikely to happen anytime soon, or ever for that matter. Cancer isn't one illness. Curing it would be like like trying to cure all infections, something not even antibiotics - the greatest medical miracle ever - managed to pull off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom