• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monty Hall (Let's Make a Deal) Dead At 96

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
KtBiSKJl.jpg

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment...-host-philanthropist-monty-hall-dies-50202833

Monty Hall, the genial TV game show host whose long-running "Let's Make a Deal" traded on love of money and merchandise and the mystery of which door had the car behind it, has died. He was 96.

Hall, who had been in poor health, died Saturday morning of heart failure at his home in Beverly Hills, said his daughter, Sharon Hall of Los Angeles.

"Let's Make a Deal," which Hall co-created, debuted as a daytime show on NBC in 1963 and became a TV staple. Through the next four decades, it also aired in prime time, in syndication and, in two brief outings, with hosts other than Hall at the helm.

Hall also guest-starred in sitcoms and appeared in TV commercials. And with the wealth that the game show brought, he made philanthropy and fundraising his avocation. He spent 200 days a year at it, he said, estimating in the late 1990s that he had coaxed $700 million from donors.

His daughter Sharon estimated that Hall managed to raise nearly $1 billion for charity over his lifetime.

and of course, the famous Monty Hall problem

RIP

Monty Hall on Let's Make a Deal was probably my favorite game show / host combination ever.
No one was quite like him.

As someone with a degree in Mathematics, of course, Monty Hall took on a whole new meaning through that.
But, there was nothing like sitting at home on a sick day watching people make fools of themselves, while Monty stood there with his wry smile, just coaxing them to take the curtain with the goat behind it.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I just looked him up this morning after watching a Match Game marathon. I was wondering how many of those Golden age Game show guys were still around.

butzopower

proud of his butz
Watched this dude on Game Show Network in last two years and told myself every single host / contestant / audience member was almost certainly dead. TIL...

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
So sad.

I know Bob Barker isn't in the best of health these days and that's really gonna wreck me when it happens

jstripes

Banned
Growing up in the '80s, I mainly remember him from the short-lived game show Split Second on CHCH. I never even heard about Let's Make A Deal until I was in my 20s.

He still left an impact on me. He, along with Bob Barker, had the game show spirit.

Top Bottom