• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grubb Wrong Again, EA Debunks: Dead Space 2 Remake Canceled Rumor

Red5

This.

It's a 1:1 remake with no added stuff and just some QoL improvements, plus :
- No photo mode
- No new worthwhile extra bits
- GFX, while not bad, weren't THAT good either.

It was basically DS 2008 with a (not so) shinier coat of paint.

RE4Re on the other hand...say what you will but all the added (new) stuff was actually really nicely implemented - knife counters above all, plus, the fat trimming here and there also helped it IMO.

DS remake...I spent 1 euro to play through the whole thing via EA play promotion and upon completing it I was "is this it ?" - absolutely not worth the 70 Eurodollars MSRP

Aside from the overhauled graphics which are among the best espescially on PC. The game has a director AI now with random necromorph spawning points, you can backtrack to any point on the Ishimura now, the game is more like a horror metroidvania now than the corridor horror survival game in 2008.

The gore system is much physically complex with skin, flesh and bones simulated being ripped apart. They also remade the whole audio with directional positioning too.

It's not the same game as the 2008 one at all.

EDIT:

What Arachnid said.

Last edited:

Red5

Time to edit the topic title again.​

[Jason Schreier] ‘Dead Space’ Franchise Is Officially On Hold at Electronic Arts​

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...hise-is-officially-on-hold-at-electronic-arts

From Twitter:
  • Yes, Dead Space is now on ice once again
  • EA's Motive explored ideas for a new entry early last year but none were greenlit
  • Chief hope was for a new game, not a remake of Dead Space 2, despite today's rumors (although both ideas were explored)

Fuck, first Deus Ex and now Dead Space, fuck corpo suits.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Lol jason says its on hold...moat likely cancelled so yes, grubb is right

Yep. Jason is saying the same thing Grubb did.

• EA's Motive explored ideas for a new entry early last year but none were greenlit

My request to get the topic title was rejected lol. For some reason GAF has a massive hate-boner towards Grubb, who has been right most of the time. 🤷‍♂️

Yonyx

Yep. Jason is saying the same thing Grubb did.

My request to get the topic title was rejected lol. For some reason GAF has a massive hate-boner towards Grubb, who has been right most of the time. 🤷‍♂️
How do you request to change the name of a topic title? I want to try that as well.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Lmao 1:1? Tell me you've never played the remake without telling me you've never played it. You have no idea what you're talking about.

The layout of the ENTIRE ship was redone to be interconnected and open, Isaac is fully voice acted, every character was fleshed out with more dialogue and backstory (vs 2 lines each in the original), side quests were added with more emphasis on backtracking/exploration, overhauled weapons with new secondary fire modes and hugely expanded skill trees, new twists added to the story, the ending expanded, new game plus adds new enemies and a new unlockable new ending, we got tons of new suit options, new bosses added, old bosses improved or changed, and revamped 0G. All that before we get to the technical aspects like the way the 10/10 sound design that propagates through halls/doors/vents, or the new necromorph peeling system that goes through layers of flesh/muscle/bone and actually impacts the damage you do, or the dynamic event system that change enemy layout or lighting/exploding vents so you're always on your toes.

All that but oooh nooo, no photo mode! It's basically DS 2008 with a shinier coat of paint (also, lmao @ acting like it isn't a significant jump in fidelity from the original)!

The Dead Space remake changed tons just like RE4, and it improved on the original so much that it made it obsolete. No RE game but RE1make managed to do that.

C'mon man...

xSgbeiE.jpg

Why so angry ? 😁

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
He said the game was in concept phase, in preproduction phase. EA says it was not in development. Well, to be in development and to be in preproduction are different things.
EA just said what he said wasn't true, nothing more.
No secret meaning or gotchas
Just straight up, That's Bullshit!
I don't know how you guys are getting different meanings from a simple few words saying it's not true.

Ain't got time for a proper exploration now, but the entire game structure changed. DS went from corridor linear to entire free-roam/metroidvania, with entirely randomized enounters via intensity director (meaning backtracking/exploration is always tense), "side quests" and relative collectibles/weapons/upgrades.

RE4 is a Top game of all time for me, same was DS. Loved Dead Space Remake and would never go back to the original, while I would never play RE4R when wanting to experience RE4 and go for the RE4 HD Project 9 times out of 10.

Redoing the whole game ≠ making it better.
100% this. The copy/paste thing is complete nonsense. I've played through DS Remake three times and loved the original. Everything about it is better in my opinion, it feels like a Director's Cut of the original in the best. They overhauled the entire level structure, the alt fire modes, brought in improvements from DS2, the Intensity Director, boss fights, the enemy skin/flesh/bone system that works wonderfully on harder modes. It's straight up ignorant to say it's the same fucking game.

Meanwhile RE4R couldn't even get basic game feel right and just controlling Leon feels worse right off the bat. It did some great stuff in terms of world design as well but I can't fathom how much worse rhey made every basic action feel. It's nowhere near as fun or snappy to play as the original imo.

simpatico

Has anyone played Dead Space 2 recently? The game absolutely holds up graphically in every aspect. I see no reason for this. Would rather just have them try their hand at a new entry.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Jeff Grubb is a space suit in a compression chamber. Whatever he decompresses, its never really the way it should.

I also don't like people who make news.

Schreier is in that same boat.

Red5

100% this. The copy/paste thing is complete nonsense. I've played through DS Remake three times and loved the original. Everything about it is better in my opinion, it feels like a Director's Cut of the original in the best. They overhauled the entire level structure, the alt fire modes, brought in improvements from DS2, the Intensity Director, boss fights, the enemy skin/flesh/bone system that works wonderfully on harder modes. It's straight up ignorant to say it's the same fucking game.

Meanwhile RE4R couldn't even get basic game feel right and just controlling Leon feels worse right off the bat. It did some great stuff in terms of world design as well but I can't fathom how much worse rhey made every basic action feel. It's nowhere near as fun or snappy to play as the original imo.

Yep, Dead Space Remake is night and day different than Dead Space 2008 and the definitive way to play it. Hopefully EA revives Dead Space 2.

Arachnid

C'mon man...

xSgbeiE.jpg

Why so angry ? 😁
Then explain the 1:1 comment, because I legit can't fathom it. You posting that screen shot doesn't make your statement right in any capacity. It just makes it more mind boggling.

Biggest thing I recall were the enemy animations seemed ruined, technically proficient but “artificially smooth” if that makes sense and untrue to the original.
Tbh I've actually heard that take from before launch. People didn't like how aggressive Isaac looked vs how scared and jittery he was in the original (always glancing around). I understand that take, and don't necessarily disagree with it. I just prefer his more aggressive walk in the remake, personally.

Last edited:
It better not be a thing. After the woke soulless disaster that was the first game remake, I have no desire to see them butcher yet another masterpiece and try to erase its history. I'm also sick and tired of these remakes taking the exact name of the original and shoving the original to the back of the bus. Go look at your steam library and see which game comes first, DS2 or DS1. It'll be DS2 because they haven't retroactively renamed the fucking thing to append the year of its release yet. I despise this shit, it's such a disgrace to the legacy of the original game. Fuck you EA and all other woke studios doing this bullshit.

rm082e

It better not be a thing. After the woke soulless disaster that was the first game remake, I have no desire to see them butcher yet another masterpiece and try to erase its history. I'm also sick and tired of these remakes taking the exact name of the original and shoving the original to the back of the bus. Go look at your steam library and see which game comes first, DS2 or DS1. It'll be DS2 because they haven't retroactively renamed the fucking thing to append the year of its release yet. I despise this shit, it's such a disgrace to the legacy of the original game. Fuck you EA and all other woke studios doing this bullshit.

Woah...

I'm thinking back to my time with the remake and trying to figure out what elements could justify this strong of a negative response. I felt like it was reasonably close:
  • They did expand on the story with Cross and Temple. I felt pretty neutral about those bits, but I could see people not liking them.
  • I didn't like the voice actor for Mercer. The original guy (who was also in Homeland) was great. The new actor was boring.
  • Isaac is not silent, but that felt dated even back in 2008. I felt like the remake brought the original more in line tonally with DS2.
  • I was glad to see the changes made to the cannon sequence. I hated that in the original.
  • I thought the graphics upgrade was well done.
  • I felt the guns had a better balance against enemies than the original.
I'm curious, what made you dislike it so much?

Fuck, first Deus Ex and now Dead Space, fuck corpo suits.
You can't blame corporations for this. They go where the money is and there just isn't enough interest from the general gaming public in Immersive Sims (presumably because they're too complex) or Survival Horror games not named Resident Evil (presumably because they're too intense/scary).

Woah...

I'm thinking back to my time with the remake and trying to figure out what elements could justify this strong of a negative response. I felt like it was reasonably close:
  • They did expand on the story with Cross and Temple. I felt pretty neutral about those bits, but I could see people not liking them.
  • I didn't like the voice actor for Mercer. The original guy (who was also in Homeland) was great. The new actor was boring.
  • Isaac is not silent, but that felt dated even back in 2008. I felt like the remake brought the original more in line tonally with DS2.
  • I was glad to see the changes made to the cannon sequence. I hated that in the original.
  • I thought the graphics upgrade was well done.
  • I felt the guns had a better balance against enemies than the original.
I'm curious, what made you dislike it so much?
They completely ruined the characters of Kendra and Hammond.
They added pointless changes to side characters just to tick some box for diversity sake.
They made Nicole look even older than she did in DS2 which was already pretty repugnant even for its time.
The stupid bathroom change.
The censorship of female necromorph bodies.
More dumb and unnecessary forced diversity changes to various arts around the Ishimura.
Then besides the woke shit, there's a clear downgrade to sound design, animation quality, weapon feedback, etc.
I'm also not a fan of what they did to Isaac. It's not that he speaks now, because I was a fan of him speaking in 2, but it's the things he says in this remake. He just feels out of place now.

Bottom line, these games do not need remakes and I'm sick of seeing this happen where woke remakes replace the classics time and time again. Fuck modern game developers and their creative bankruptcy. Make new games for shit sake.

Vick

This whole comment, especially the latter portion..

Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals
Sing Icing On The Cake GIF by Travis

Muffdraul

Has anyone played Dead Space 2 recently? The game absolutely holds up graphically in every aspect. I see no reason for this. Would rather just have them try their hand at a new entry.
I would be up for a new entry if the OG dev team was involved. Not really interested in DS4 made by people who had no idea what the original writers might have had in mind.

That said, after playing DS Remake, I would be willing to give these guys a chance at DS4. But after seeing how much justice they did to DS 2008, I would LOVE to see them do DS2 Remake. Hence my sadness at the news. :messenger_sad_relieved:

Last edited:

TGO

You reckon?
I'll load it up on my PS5 and get back to you 👍

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Then explain the 1:1 comment, because I legit can't fathom it. You posting that screen shot doesn't make your statement right in any capacity. It just makes it more mind boggling.

Tbh I've actually heard that take from before launch. People didn't like how aggressive Isaac looked vs how scared and jittery he was in the original (always glancing around). I understand that take, and don't necessarily disagree with it. I just prefer his more aggressive walk in the remake, personally.
I meant the necromorphs though.

TGO

Have they brought up the rendering res and FPS cap?
Is there?
Interesting 🤔
I'm sure there is a mod or something to fix that but my PS3 is the only way I can play it currently.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Have they brought up the rendering res and FPS cap?

The game is only via cloud streaming on PS5's so you're getting a cloud version of the game as it was on PS3.

On Xbox it runs at the same resolution (720p) but it has FPS boost so you get it at a locked 60 FPS.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
In the same way 2D games are relevant/necessary, so are linear games. The market clearly prefers open world despite the rare exception.
You're not wrong but also 99% of developers especially western ones can't do the formula without feeling like a previous game

Top Bottom