• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GS: Phil Spencer Teases Xbox One X Feature for Backwards Compatible Titles

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
a 360 the size of a thumb drive I can plug into my Xbox X for full hardware backwards compatibility, bypassing license issues.

Sony were able to add trophies to PS2 games adapted for PS4. So it's entirely reasonable to think that original Xbox games on XBO X will have achievements.

Maybe another playthrough of Star Wars: Knights of The Old Republic or Jade Empire is in order.

Mike Ybarra has stated there won't be Achievements. Maybe that's changed but that is what he said a couple of months ago.

FZW

phil:"Due to popular demand, we've added lootboxxes for everybody in these old games! No longer will you be able to just play! Ooh and Season passes! Think about all that revenue you'll be generating for our shareholders!!!!"

what exactly is the point of this?

Will grab an X for Shenmue II if Sega doesn't announce the remasters this year. Could use a 4K player anyway if it's better than the S.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Ah did he damn that's a shame as I thought we would have got that, maybe one day.

That’s a bit odd - not sure why retrospective achievements would enhance the OG experience for games that were never designed for them.

nemisis0

That’s a bit odd - not sure why retrospective achievements would enhance the OG experience for games that were never designed for them.

Getting achievements for jade empire and ninja garden black would have been awesome and a few other awesome exclusives.

Tenshin

If X can make 1080p , 60fps backwards compatibility (im good with solid 30fps) holy shit... I would really consider one..

c0de

Apparently Microsoft is still developing the tech behind bc. Vgtech released two new videos of GoW 1 and 2 which got a patch and now run better than ever before. I would not be surprised if they give players the option to increase resolution of old games. This would perhaps mean I buy a Microsoft console again in the future.

Dehnus

what exactly is the point of this?

Trying to stir up people so that they bug Microsoft and stop this Lootbox and Microtransaction craze. Don't get me wrong, I loved games like Midtown Madness 3 and Crimson Skies, I just really am getting annoyed by their nickle and dime attitude towards gaming and it has prevented me from getting an Xbox.

My sister is still a big fan, she is a huge Xbox Fangirl, bought the Xbox One on launch and is already bouncing up and down for the Scorpio. It's kind of scary (but fun :) ) to see her badmouth people online that harass her... after she kicks their arses in NHL or Fifa. I'm more of an old SEGA Dreamcast fan that wend to Xbox to scratch that itch, and miss that Arcade feel. I also don't like paying for online and lootboxes or Microtransactions just irk me.

So until MS goes back on their nickle and diming, I'll be happy with my PC + Switch Set up. Yes Amiibos are DLC too, but at least you know in advance what you'll be getting.

That said, my sister and I both are looking forward to OG compatibility. Some of our favourite gaming moments together were on that machine. Mostly local coop vs online (she has no issue with paying for Live :( ). So we can't wait for those games to hit the machine :). But I am a bit afraid that they'll even nickle and dime me there.

EmiPrime

That said, my sister and I both are looking forward to OG compatibility. Some of our favourite gaming moments together were on that machine. Mostly local coop vs online (she has no issue with paying for Live :( ). So we can't wait for those games to hit the machine :). But I am a bit afraid that they'll even nickle and dime me there.

They have confirmed that your old discs and your OG Xbox digital purchases made on 360 will be playable so that fear is unfounded.

Let's not conflate what is an extremely pro-consumer move by the Xbox team with something completely unrelated, it's simply irrational and comes across as concern trolling.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This is a rare instance where I would say Sony needs to get their shit together.

A BC feature exclusive to the One X? Could be something really small and not hypeworthy or actually something very cool indeed. BC is already working pretty damn good as it is.

Compsiox

Banned
Given the beyond generations talk, I wouldn't be surprised if it was getting xbox live working on og games again if it was both the one and the one x, but given its aimed at the x, I'm assuming its better visuals.

If they revived Halo 2 xbox live... I'd die.

amdb00mer

Trying to stir up people so that they bug Microsoft and stop this Lootbox and Microtransaction craze. Don't get me wrong, I loved games like Midtown Madness 3 and Crimson Skies, I just really am getting annoyed by their nickle and dime attitude towards gaming and it has prevented me from getting an Xbox.

My sister is still a big fan, she is a huge Xbox Fangirl, bought the Xbox One on launch and is already bouncing up and down for the Scorpio. It's kind of scary (but fun :) ) to see her badmouth people online that harass her... after she kicks their arses in NHL or Fifa. I'm more of an old SEGA Dreamcast fan that wend to Xbox to scratch that itch, and miss that Arcade feel. I also don't like paying for online and lootboxes or Microtransactions just irk me.

So until MS goes back on their nickle and diming, I'll be happy with my PC + Switch Set up. Yes Amiibos are DLC too, but at least you know in advance what you'll be getting.

What microtransactions are you referring to? What nickel and diming?

GLAMr

The PS4 can't read CDs, so that dream is over immediately.
Has this ever been confirmed as a physical limitation? I've never heard of a DVD laser assembly that couldn't also read CD's. Did they go out of their way to get diode assemblies that specifically won't read CD?

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
xDQRRtQ.jpg

This game was SOOOOOO much fun when it FIRST came out....but it aged like shit....like four years later it was almost unplayable

nekkid

No per-game BC builds - the X is powerful enough to allow you to stick any disc in and BC works.

That’s a nice dream.

FyreWulff

No per-game BC builds - the X is powerful enough to allow you to stick any disc in and BC works.

That's a nice dream.

Unlikely to happen as their downloading-the-emulator-and-game setup has a bonus that it lets them keep an air gap between the Xbox One and any custom code discs people might try to use to escape the emulator sandbox and get into the One itself. So even though they technically wouldn't need to pre-bake original Xbox games, the code firewall is going to have them keep requiring the download.

Alienfan

Imagine if the feature is any 360 disk just works? What could also be neat is achievements or virtual Lan for OG xbox games, although I'd imagine those would be made available on all consoles. It's probably going to be a resolution bump(which is still crazy!)

MilkyJoe

A BC feature exclusive to the One X? Could be something really small and not hypeworthy or actually something very cool indeed. BC is already working pretty damn good as it is.

If it's exclusive to X then it has to be power related, I dunno if it can be done techinically, but if it can, then my guess is a resolution bump 1080+ , only downside will be the same textures. But by golly, I'll take it every day of the week and twice on Sundays! Hot damn!

Arttemis

Does anyone know if the X will allow you to play with peripherals like Rock Band 3's keyboard, and will the licenses allow you to play all the DLC from the 360 era on it?

nekkid

Unlikely to happen as their downloading-the-emulator-and-game setup has a bonus that it lets them keep an air gap between the Xbox One and any custom code discs people might try to use to escape the emulator sandbox and get into the One itself. So even though they technically wouldn't need to pre-bake original Xbox games, the code firewall is going to have them keep requiring the download.

I didn’t mean that it would work natively - only that there would only need to be one single OG BC app.

EvB

Has this ever been confirmed as a physical limitation? I've never heard of a DVD laser assembly that couldn't also read CD's. Did they go out of their way to get diode assemblies that specifically won't read CD?

What about Blu Ray Assemblies? I remember either with the PS2 or PS3 that they made a big fuss that they had a single laser assembly that could do both disc types, whereas typically it was multiple.

PS4 won't even play Audio CDs a super basic feature, that surely points towards it being hardware related?

horkrux

What about Blu Ray Assemblies? I remember either with the PS2 or PS3 that they made a big fuss that they had a single laser assembly that could do both disc types, whereas typically it was multiple.

PS4 won't even play Audio CDs a super basic feature, that surely points towards it being hardware related?

It actually points more towards a simple lack of software functionality. There shouldn't be a physical limitation.

I remember that the older PS3 models had two diodes, one for BD and one for the rest. But since the PS4 has no trouble reading DVDs, CDs shouldn't be a problem either.

GLAMr

According to this, Sony were open to the possibility of patching in Audio CD functionality:

http://www.techradar.com/news/gamin...4-will-play-cds-and-mp3s-after-update-1199081

It actually points more towards a simple lack of software functionality. There shouldn't be a physical limitation.

I remember that the older PS3 models had two diodes, one for BD and one for the rest. But since the PS4 has no trouble reading DVDs, CDs shouldn't be a problem either.
Indeed. AFAIK, CD/DVD optics should share the same red diode, with hardware to adjust to different wavelengths/feature size of the two formats.

Top Bottom