• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT5 Demo/Forza 2 comparison (56K and trolls go back to Drivers Ed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pimpwerx

DCharlie said:
but for this track, they are though... aren`t they?

Probably not for other tracks.
You could compare any games on anything if you really want to force the issue. My point is this. You sit down and watch GT5P's demo, and then you sit down and watch FM2, and I don't sit there and say, "man, these two are really close in graphics." Not in videos, not in stills, not in nothing. Again, when FM2 came out, its fans had to break out the "but it's in 60fps" argument (among others) to justify it looking marginal compared to PGR3. The comparison is nonsense. This is a joke thread in every sense of the word. PEACE.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
This is a joke thread in every sense of the word

I dunno man, i think the only joke is that some of you have the hyperbole gun wedged so far up your asses you can`t be objective about Forza -on this track- looking comparable in game.

(shrug)

be truthful - did all of you actually play Forza 2?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
adelante said:
But if anything, it does prove that compromises were necessary
Realtime graphics is Always about compromises, regardless of the game or developer. But that's not what these types of threads are ultimately about - they are about proving one game or the other is compromising more (or less) then the general opinion holds.

They'd much rather pinpoint a feature where the game obviously excels at and remain happily oblivious to anything else.
And the opposition will pinpoint a feature where game obviously compromises and remain happilly oblivious to everything else. But ultimately compromises are are about the end results, not individual features.
And that's what GT games get far more right then the rest of driving games combined - not the individual components.

i'm not really a fan of these 'realistic' racers (ridge racer 6 is the only next-gen racer i own), but i thought i'd throw my two sense in...

i downloaded the forza 2 demo and played it. i was disappointed with how it looked (all i really cared about since, again, i don't enjoy these types of racers).

i also downloaded the gthd demo from psn. i was also disappointed with how it looked.

i will say that the gt5 shots in this game are stunning and the car models are second to none. i'll also say that in-game will not look as good as the shots (obviously not in-game) being posted in this thread--only replay mode will, but that should be obvious to everyone.

Yoboman

MikeHaggar said:
i'm not really a fan of these 'realistic' racers (ridge racer 6 is the only next-gen racer i own), but i thought i'd throw my two sense in...

i downloaded the forza 2 demo and played it. i was disappointed with how it looked (all i really cared about since, again, i don't enjoy these types of racers).

i also downloaded the gthd demo from psn. i was also disappointed with how it looked.

i will say that the gt5 shots in this game are stunning and the car models are second to none. i'll also say that in-game will not look as good as the shots (obviously not in-game) being posted in this thread--only replay mode will, but that should be obvious to everyone.
GTHD =/= GT5, but thanks for your "2 sense" anyway

TEH-CJ

Banned
MikeHaggar said:

But they doooo....

Pimpwerx

DCharlie said:
I dunno man, i think the only joke is that some of you have the hyperbole gun wedged so far up your asses you can`t be objective about Forza -on this track- looking comparable in game.

(shrug)

be truthful - did all of you actually play Forza 2?
LOL! :lol

You, of all people, are looking for objectivity. Get the fuck out. PEACE.

Surfheart

Ok I don't get the trees thing. Here I am at Suzuka in my beautifully rendered cockpit cutting up my beautifully rendered opponents but wait, here on this corner, I'm reminded it's just a video game because of some ugly arse bisecting polygons that are some bizzaro abstract of a tree? I'm sure they are just placeholders but fuck I mean if trees don't matter then lets just have flat textured spectators.

If the realism of the scenery doesn't matter then you guys defending the PSone level trees wouldn't mind if the track was pink and the grandstands were fucking purple mushrooms right? So long as the cars are fucking detailed to the Nth degree with 200,000,000,000 fucking polygons then everything is secondary.

Because racing is all about looking at the cars right.. or are you guys playing the replays? because when I'm racing I see the arse end of my opponents then I see them in my rear vision.

I am however meant to be in a representation of a real life place racing on a famous circuit and all the atmosphere and ambiance that place should bring to the experience and I'm looking at fucking theater props.

DCharlie

You, of all people, are looking for objectivity. Get the fuck out. PEACE.

lol - so you didn`t play Forza then?

Not being objective about this means you end up throwing out a whole bunch of foolish looking posts , filled with hyperbole and stinking like someone who hasn`t played both games.

I`ve no doubt that the final GT5 will be fantastic, and i`ve already said that this is probably one of the only tracks that Forza will look in the same realm as GT5, but for some reason some PS3 fans simply cannot accept that they could remotely in the same area.

Obviously all this will be revisited when the final game comes out where i`d expect things to be a lot clearer in GT5`s favour.

Pimpwerx

Surfheart said:
Ok I don't get the trees thing. Here I am at Suzuka in my beautifully rendered cockpit cutting up my beautifully rendered opponents but wait, here on this corner, I'm reminded it's just a video game because of some ugly arse bisecting polygons that are some bizzaro abstract of a tree? I'm sure they are just placeholders but fuck I mean if trees don't matter then lets just have flat textured spectators.
If the realism of the scenery doesn't matter then you guys defending the PSone level trees wouldn't mind if the track was pink and the grandstands were fucking purple mushrooms right? So long as the cars are fucking detailed to the Nth degree with 200,000,000,000 fucking polygons then everything is secondary.
Because racing is all about looking at the cars right.. or are you guys playing the replays? because when I'm racing I see the arse end of my opponents then I see them in my rear vision. I am however in a real life place racing on a famous circuit and all the atmosphere and ambiance that place should bring to the experience and I'm looking at fucking theater props.
What turn was it? I mean, you pay such close attention, you could at least ballpark the number, right?

What's laughable is people completely unfamiliar with auto racing, and who play the game on the easiest settings care to lecture others on what is or isn't important in a racing game. Here's a better question: What the fuck are you doing looking at the trees in a racing game? This isn't rally nor a skiing game. The trees are behind the barriers and off the track for a reason. But hey...you guys are all experts, no? PEACE.

EDIT: Last post in this thread. If you want to discuss gameplay, there are the official threads for both of these games. If you want to discuss graphics, that's fine too. If you're gonna make comparisons, stop clutching at straws. There are other genres where the 360/PS3 war is actually close and debatable. This is not one of them.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Surfheart said:

Because racing is all about looking at the cars right.. or are you guys playing the replays? because when I'm racing I see the arse end of my opponents then I see them in my rear vision.

I am however in a real life place racing on a famous circuit and all the atmosphere and ambiance that place should bring to the experience and I'm looking at fucking theater props.

So what are you trying to say ?

Jea Song

Did the right thing
2 reasons why I believe GT looks better overall.

-Car models.
As much detail that the cars in Forza 2 have and as amazing as they look, they simply cannot compete with the car models that GT offers. GT models are absolutly stunning. Also add the driver in the car. The driver model has much more detail than Forza's. Everything from the reflective in his visor, to the textures on his gloves. Which leads me into the cockpit view. It may not be fair to compare this with forza, simply because it doesnt offer it, but it must be taken as a factor, and simply is the best cockpit view iv ever seen. But forza does offer car damage modeling, that I think GT has been really ignoring and for no good reason.

- Graphical effects.
Forza offers some nice effects, with hdr, blur, soft shadows. But compared to GT, I think they dont look as realalistic. I think the balance that GT uses with the same effects is better overall. Not over doing a certain effect, as I think Forza 2 does.

Now I think for those that complain about the lack of detail in the tracks of GT, really need to look at the scale here. If you played the GT HD demo, you know that the scale and detail of the swiss alps track and how was amazing, and enormous it was.

Im not trying to bash Forza 2 at all, because they game is beautiful in every sense, but I just feel I should address these issues in a tread like this.

adelante

Pimpwerx said:
Credibility is directly-proportional to the number of smilies in a post. (Internet Fact #34) PEACE.
So says the guy who's not appreciative of a thread that obviously has its purpose when it comes to acknowledging visual intricacies, however vastly different, from one game to another. The same guy who suggests posting in a game-specific thread (for "legit responses") where clearly, the very mention of any other title would've brought forth a legion of defiant fans on a blind crusade to keep their venue of discussion free from opposing opinions. The same guy who seemingly advocates "peace" amongst us all.

Lol its ok, you've made it clear for some of us to not take you seriously...or, alright, that you have this inability to compare and contrast and employ the critical thinking skills in analysis beyond your comprehensive argument that GT5P is just...wowsome(and that's that)...in which case, why are you even here :lol

I'm of the opinion that the GT5P demo shines beautifully in areas that matter (car models, overall HDR lighting, etc); i just happen to believe that its obvious leap in certain technical aspects it has over some other games is worth discussing, along with the aesthetic approach other racing games have taken.

Ploid 3.0

Yea I have hard enough of a time trying to look in my rear view mirrors while taking a turn. I might glance at trees, the stands, and the tires on the side of the track once in a while, but the perpendicular tree design is extremely efficient for what is a background detail. No one would have noticed while playing the game. It took a sky view replay to see it. I still don't understand the demand for highly detailed trees, unless it's very close to the track or showing the branches and the trunk. This is a fully covered green tree.

It's truly mind boggling that people really care about trees this much. With GTHD it was that they couldn't get more than 1 car of that detail on a track, now with GT5P it's freakin trees.

Pimpwerx

DCharlie said:
Hozzaa - is that the "I didn`t play Forza 2" retreat buggle i can hear ??
Oh gosh, you got me. Oops, that's right. I did make a couple trips over to the local trog bog (Toys R Us) and gave it a spin on the demo kiosk, which has a better screen than my shitty old Samsung SDTV. But hey, what does it matter, I don't own the game, so I don't have license to troll like you do, right DCharlie?

Why the hell do I need to retreat from any thread? When have I been known to do so in the past? I'm perfectly capable of defending an argument in an intelligent manner, assuming there's some intelligence to be found in the discussion. There is none in this. All it is doing is getting me to spit a bunch of words that ultimately mean nothing. No, I'm leaving this thread b/c frankly there's nothing in it. You're not changing your mind, I'm not and no one else is. Waste of time. I'm out. PEACE.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Surfheart said:
I'm sure they are just placeholders but fuck I mean if trees don't matter then lets just have flat textured spectators.
Actually the spectators ARE flat. Perhaps it's because you put so much importance into details like that that you never noticed ;) To be honest I'm surprised none of the usual crowd was parading that fact around, perhaps their polygon/pixel counting eagle eyes are getting old on them.

Seriously though - it just goes back to my last post - the overall picture says a lot more then individual components.

DCharlie

Oh gosh, you got me. Oops, that's right. I did make a couple trips over to the local trog bog (Toys R Us) and gave it a spin on the demo kiosk, which has a better screen than my shitty old Samsung SDTV. But hey, what does it matter, I don't own the game, so I don't have license to troll like you do, right DCharlie?

And this track was on that demo was it?

I -at least- have the good faith of playing both and i STILL think GT5 looks better. The problem is i`m not spouting that comparing the two is a joke.

You`ve owned yourself.

tetsuoxb

Pimpwerx said:

Why the hell do I need to retreat from any thread? When have I been known to do so in the past? I'm perfectly capable of defending an argument in an intelligent manner, assuming there's some intelligence to be found in the discussion. There is none in this. All it is doing is getting me to spit a bunch of words that ultimately mean nothing. No, I'm leaving this thread b/c frankly there's nothing in it. You're not changing your mind, I'm not and no one else is. Waste of time. I'm out. PEACE.

The "I'm too good for this" defense. Classic.

BTW - Can we put PEACE in the banned words filter, just for the pleasure of watching Pimpwerx have an OCD anxiety attack?

teepo

the problem forza 2 has is that it got too many unnecessary details in the environment. they're not smart with their resources.

teepo said:
the problem forza 2 has is that it got too many unnecessary details in the environment. they're not smart with their resources.

Now we are getting pissy to developers that put too much work and detail in. Come on!

If we were to take away the hud on screens between Forza, GT, PGR what have you, most people would be hard pressed to tell what game was which under the proper conditions.

Surfheart

Pimpwerx said:
What turn was it? I mean, you pay such close attention, you could at least ballpark the number, right?

What's laughable is people completely unfamiliar with auto racing, and who play the game on the easiest settings care to lecture others on what is or isn't important in a racing game. Here's a better question: What the fuck are you doing looking at the trees in a racing game? This isn't rally nor a skiing game. The trees are behind the barriers and off the track for a reason. But hey...you guys are all experts, no? PEACE.

What's laughable is people assuming what people may or may not know and lecturing people on how or how they may or may not enjoy their videogames
I guess you racing experts checked the source code and physics algorthims against your no doubt years and years of competetive racing experience and have come to the conclusion that the tradeoff of having 100% accurate realworld automative racing physics in this videogame have procluded the developer from being able to raise the track detail beyond PS2 assets.

teepo

Warm Machine said:
Now we are getting pissy to developers that put too much work and detail in. Come on!

If we were to take away the hud on screens between Forza, GT, PGR what have you, most people would be hard pressed to tell what game was which under the proper conditions.

they're putting work in places that no one will stop and notice unless you stop the car and point it off the track. and lets not talk about the motion blur. such a waste.

you can try to crop the screens but the lighting in gt will give it away.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Fafalada said:
Try taking a photo by pointing camera in general direction of the sun and tell me how background on it looks. Now take the same exact photo a few hours later when sun is no longer in front of camera.

Ok, ok.... I get it, I was wrong :p.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Surfheart said:
What's laughable is people assuming what people may or may not know and lecturing people on how or how they may or may not enjoy their videogames
I guess you racing experts checked the source code and physics algorthims against your no doubt years and years of competetive racing experience and have come to the conclusion that the tradeoff of having 100% accurate realworld automative racing physics in this videogame have procluded the developer from being able to raise the track detail beyond PS2 assets.

*Slow clap*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom