• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT5 Demo/Forza 2 comparison (56K and trolls go back to Drivers Ed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter D

Pimpwerx said:
Forza isn't even in the same generation as GT5P graphically. I think that's a pretty factual statement. I mean, didn't FM2 fans have to damage control that game against PGR3? Who the fuck is seriously trying go bring GT5P into the picture? Kaz dropped a deuce on that game. I like the silent-killing of PGR4 as well. I thought that game was supposed to be some graphics messiah too. There's always FM3. :lol PEACE.
You can't be serious.

Pimpwerx

Joates said:
Did you even *glance* at the OP? I swear, most of you PD lovers dont even give a shit about the graphics, because they're already the best in your eyes regardless.

I think GT looks better than FM2, but its far from perfect...
Who ever said it was perfect? If you're looking for perfection, stop looking at video games. There's just no such thing. Not sure how FM2 is even comparable though. Like I said, FM2 had to be damage-controlled against PGR3. PEACE.

m0dus said:
Give me a break. Forza clearly excels in certain areas, GT5P excels in others, and PGR kills them both in terms of background detail (including weather effects).

The least people could do is wait until we see more of GT5P's London track because right now saying PGR4 kills it in background detail is insane. All we really have to judge GT5P on is its race tracks and PGR4's race tracks by no means kills it with it's race tracks.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
They are obviously going to iron it out, nobody has said anything about IQ problems/framerate problems at trade shows or in preview sessions.

yup - game looked perfect at TGS on the Bravia`s , hence why i`m saying its probably to do with peoples set ups.

ypo - as i said, it`s to do with set ups. Switching from 1080i to 720p gets better, and switching from 720p to 1080p seems to make it even better.

Halo - as i got futher into the game displayed more problems and one of the later levels had the game painting in the ground details as i walked. At the start though, the only thing i could see after a while was the moving jag lines, but - as with this - it`s nothing game breaking.

As i said - if F@lus can`t see the issues, then this points to the set ups of individuals creating the issues.

Joates

Banned
DemonSwordsman said:
This thread is pointless. GT is not competing with forza or pgr. the only thing GT competes with is real life.

Its quotes like these that show how fucking retarded neoGAF is. Under normal circumstances this would be a clear use of sarcasm, but I have no doubt Demon is serious because it reflects most GT fans sentiments... (Hell even the devs)

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
DemonSwordsman said:
This thread is pointless. GT is not competing with forza or pgr. the only thing GT competes with is real life.

Its the comments like this that fuel this silly need for every thread about a racing game thats not GT to turn into "Oh god, GT looks better than this cartoon game, whut are youu guyz thinking!".

-Rogue5-

I'm disappointed with how much better the replays are than the actual in-game stuff. Next-gen games should somehow make the game play more like the replays look than just upres'ed version of games we've been playing for a while now.

I definitely like the game more in-dash and MT... drifting/skidding around corners is pretty fun and looks rad in the replay.

Won't attempt to comment on GT5PD vs. Forza 2, but I like how the OP did the comparison shots using the GT-R in GT while using the Sentra SE-R in Forza :lol

(Can't really hate on the SE-R though...my brother-in-law had a 1992 B13 Senta SE-R coupe, that was a high-revving, very fun car to drive! Very peppy SR20DE engine inside.)

Pimpwerx

Joates said:
Its quotes like these that show how fucking retarded neoGAF is. Under normal circumstances this would be a clear use of sarcasm, but I have no doubt Demon is serious because it reflects most GT fans sentiments... (Hell even the devs)
Your crusade is a noble one. PEACE.

-Rogue5- said:
I'm disappointed with how much better the replays are than the actual in-game stuff. Next-gen games should somehow make the game play more like the replays look than just upres'ed version of games we've been playing for a while now.

The replays in racing games are always going to look a lot better because of all the different camera angles you're getting to see it from. It doesn't look as exciting when you're just looking ahead at the road.

Pimpwerx

m0dus said:
Give me a break. Forza clearly excels in certain areas, GT5P excels in others, and PGR kills them both in terms of background detail (including weather effects).
And the consolation prize to the 30fps game goes to....PGR4 *mock applause*. PEACE.

nib95

Banned
Why is it GAF people always do cruddy comparisons with low res shots?
Hello guys, 720p full screen shots FTW. You can't tell squat from SD shots.

Also, not very fair to compare a demo of a demo to a retail game.

nib95

Banned
m0dus said:

Post regular boring track pics of PGR4 (not Nuremburg but Suzuka etc) and I bet GT5P looks better. PGR4 excels in it's city background visuals, and this is one area we've yet to even see how GT5 fares. Not to mention GT5 runs at double the frame rate, a higher resolution (1280x1080+) and is still 8 months from release.

Joates

Banned
nib95 said:
Post regular boring track pics of PGR4 (not Nuremburg but Suzuka etc) and I bet GT5P looks better. PGR4 excels in it's city background visuals, and this is one area we've yet to even see how GT5 fares. Not to mention GT5 runs at double the frame rate, a higher resolution (1280x1080+) and is still 8 months from release.

Something is so wrong here, these real life tracks may not be the flashiest tracks in games, but calling them boring is absolute blashemy. Suzuka is an amazing and exhilarating track, far from boring.

jett

D-Member
Joates said:
Something is so wrong here, these real life tracks may not be the flashiest tracks in games, but calling them boring is absolute blashemy. Suzuka is an amazing and exhilarating track, far from boring.

He clearly means from a visual standpoint.

nib95

Banned
Joates said:

Yea sorry, just to clarify I meant visually boring. In actual race/gameplay terms they are excellent.

h3ro

nib95 said:

Nuremburg IS NOT where the Nurburgring is!! Jeez man...

The Green Hell is in the Eifel region of Deutschland in a small town called Nurburg, no where near Nuremberg.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Panajev2001a said:
Can this result be caused by the different time of day and thus sun light intensity and height in the sky?
Try taking a photo by pointing camera in general direction of the sun and tell me how background on it looks. Now take the same exact photo a few hours later when sun is no longer in front of camera.

drohne said:
they're, uh...really kind to forza
Considering why this thread was started in the first place, that shouldn't be any surprise.

jett

D-Member
project-gotham-racing-4-20070904000404239.jpg

1316_0018.jpg

I dunno, but I sure don't see PGR4 killing GT5.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
jett said:
I dunno, but I sure don't see PGR4 killing GT5.

Blur up the PGR4 shot to match the GTP shot and they look pretty much the same.

Plus those pics are just not fair. Its really a comparison between Gamersyde and IGN captures. :lol

h3ro said:
Nuremburg IS NOT where the Nurburgring is!! Jeez man...

The Green Hell is in the Eifel region of Deutschland in a small town called Nurburg, no where near Nuremberg.

So wait a second, does Nurburgring actually mean a ring at Nurburg? I always thought that when I was a kid and then found out it was all one word and was told it was a place name. I felt stupid that day. And now I find out I may have been right all along... I need answers!

Router said:
Blur up the PGR4 shot to match the GTP shot and they look pretty much the same.

The point that he was making is that people need to stop trying to compare PGR4's city tracks to GT5P's race tracks. There's nothing Polyphony could do to make Suzuka look as good as those city tracks because the track itself is dull looking.

-Rogue5-

SolidSnakex said:
The replays in racing games are always going to look a lot better because of all the different camera angles you're getting to see it from. It doesn't look as exciting when you're just looking ahead at the road.

Yeah I know... But I'd like to see "next-gen" racing games somehow (magically, if need be) play/look more like their replays. I think PGR3 and 4 took steps in the right direction (the amount/type of motion blur, the camera angle/jostle, etc.) Right now, both Forza and GT, while they're hyper-realistic, are both sooooooo static and lifeless (in-game.) They're like those creepy robot faces you see... they look real, but there is something about them that just isn't natural or organic.

I'll play them and I'll enjoy them, I just think "next-gen" racers could be much better.

h3ro

freethought said:
So wait a second, does Nurburgring actually mean a ring at Nurburg? I always thought that when I was a kid and then found out it was all one word and was told it was a place name. I felt stupid that day. And now I find out I may have been right all along... I need answers!

No need to feel stupid bud, the Nurburgring is a circuit (ring)/public road in a town named Nurburg.

That being said, would we be having this argument if Forza was also a PS3 franchise? NO, we wouldn't. No one can avoid Teh Systum Warz.

Wasn't Forza panned hard for its graphics when it was released. I remember what GAF was like when the demo was put up on XBL.. utter chaos. And now, its better than Gran Turismo.

I are not understand weekend GAF...

Bebpo

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
The least people could do is wait until we see more of GT5P's London track because right now saying PGR4 kills it in background detail is insane. All we really have to judge GT5P on is its race tracks and PGR4's race tracks by no means kills it with it's race tracks.

PGR4 needs to be dropped out of this conversation.

It's not fair to compare them since PGR4 runs at 30fps and doesn't put many polygons or textures into the cars and focuses entirely on the environments. There's just no way Forza 2 or GT5 can get anywhere near it. It's like saying a racing game on the PS1 could look better than one on the Dreamcast. At half the framerate it's almost double the system specs.

purg3

slept with Malkin
h3ro said:
That being said, would we be having this argument if Forza was also a PS3 franchise? NO, we wouldn't. No one can avoid Teh Systum Warz.

Wasn't Forza panned hard for its graphics when it was released. I remember what GAF was like when the demo was put up on XBL.. utter chaos. And now, its better than Gran Turismo.

I are not understand weekend GAF...

Well, that's what it unfortunately boils down to, because 2 really good racing games cant exist... Also a majority of the people bashing Forza graphics before the game released, never even bought or played it seriously...

Both games have major positives about them, get over it.

nib95 said:
Just ironic that the guys face in your avatar looks just that....stupid. Lol.

You're a fucking idiot.

nib95

Banned
Bebpo said:

It's not fair to compare them since PGR4 runs at 30fps and doesn't put many polygons or textures into the cars and focuses entirely on the environments. There's just no way Forza 2 or GT5 can get anywhere near it. It's like saying a racing game on the PS1 could look better than one on the Dreamcast. At half the framerate it's almost double the system specs.

I bet you GT5 will still have the better looking city tracks. This is the PS3 and Polyphony we are talking about. They are graphical wizards.

GT5's boring looking race tracks > PGR4's.

How the city tracks compare we'll have to wait and see, but don't discount GT5 just yet. Even if it is running at double the frame rate and maybe a touch more AF/AA.

beerbelly

Banned
jett said:
m0dus am here. Now this thread is complete.

Seriously, what is wrong with m0dus posts?

This thread is full of arrogant people who can't seem to grasp the idea that racing games OTHER than GT can look GOOD too. What the hell...

jett

D-Member
beerbelly said:
Seriously, what is wrong with m0dus posts?

:lol Nothing, it's that he always shows up in threads where GT5 is compared to any racer on the 360. I was just kidding anyway.

Bebpo

Banned
nib95 said:
GT5's boring looking race tracks > PGR4's.

No. Comparing PGR4's "the ring" to GT5p tracks shows a generational gap in visuals between the two. But PGR4 also has half the cars, half the framerate, and toy cars. PGR4 sacrifices a lot to get the best looking environments in any game. The only videogame out that even compares to the graphics of PGR4's environments is Gears of War.

And don't use some shitty IGN shots or something to try to make PGR4's race tracks look bad, because they look very good.

Bebpo said:

I think for as much credit as Polyphony gets for their car modeling, they don't get nearly as much for how good their tracks look. Go back to GT4 and look at some of the European city tracks in the game. They're really beautiful.

h3ro said:
No need to feel stupid bud, the Nurburgring is a circuit (ring)/public road in a town named Nurburg.

My brother (who 'corrected' me) is going to be eating some serious crow next time I see him. God, it was like eight or nine years ago that this happened and since he's a bigger racing fan than me I just never bothered to check (even though he's usually full of shit).
:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom