• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA 6 just got leaked (Up: confirmed real)

Steam handheld is more likely to hold this game back, as is the myriad of less powerful PC rigs.
If its like every other modern Rockstar game, the PC won't get a release date until 1 year+ from console release. So I doubt they even thought about the PC port yet. But in all honesty, I wouldn't be too worried about the Series S holding it back. RDR2 came out on the OG Xbox One in remarkable shape. Rockstar are wizards when it comes to optimization for their premiere games

Bullshit.... No one takes office PCs as the lowest common denominator. That's always the weakest console the game has to run on.
Steam deck will still be a thing, and look at what the minimum specs were for RDR2.
Tell me how many games released now have an SSD as minimum spec when all the new consoles have them?

If its like every other modern Rockstar game, the PC won't get a release date until 1 year+ from console release. So I doubt they even thought about the PC port yet. But in all honesty, I wouldn't be too worried about the Series S holding it back. RDR2 came out on the OG Xbox One in remarkable shape. Rockstar are wizards when it comes to optimization for their premiere games
I think it will be day and date on PC. It's too big a market, and Rockstar have doubled in size since RDR2 came out.
The reason their games release in such good shape is the amount of resources they have to put on their games.

amigastar

I just want an official trailer for GTA 6. What i don't like about Rockstar is their secrecy when it comes to their games.

Last edited:

Schmendrick

Steam deck will still be a thing, and look at what the minimum specs were for RDR2.
Tell me how many games released now have an SSD as minimum spec when all the new consoles have them?
No one gives a rats ass about the tiny install base of Gabe's hobby release and the PC is never ever going to hold a game back. The 1% games that actually care about PC specs at all target the high end, everything else targets whatever is the weakest fixed hardware platform with meaningful install bases aka consoles. If min specs are below console specs for a game that simply means that the Devs allow people to scale below the intended standard.
And lol at that SSD remark.... Tell me how many actual next gen games we've gotten so far.....

Last edited:
No one gives a rats ass about the tiny install base of Gabe's hobby release and the PC is never ever going to hold a game back. The 1% games that actually care about PC specs at all target the high end, everything else targets whatever is the weakest fixed hardware platform with meaningful install bases aka consoles. If min specs are below console specs for a game that simply means that the Devs allow people to scale below the intended standard.
And lol at that SSD remark.... Tell me how many actual next gen games we've gotten so far.....
Yeah, no dev cares about Steam. It's where they sell the.majority of their PC games. They care.
So we agree, the PC minimum specs are less than the consoles.
We also agree that PC game releases arnt even specifying SSDs yet.
That was pretty easy.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

I think it will be day and date on PC. It's too big a market, and Rockstar have doubled in size since RDR2 came out.
The reason their games release in such good shape is the amount of resources they have to put on their games.
And PC has always been a big market for games. The precedent suggests that it would take at least a year before releasing on PC. Their GTA games actually went from releasing 6 months after the PC to a year and then most recently to 2 years.

And how well it goes on to sell regardless on the PC, contrary to what people seem to think whenever that happens with games, doesn't push them to release day and date with PC, but rather reinforces that they can focus on the console version first and then take their time with a PC port.

And PC has always been a big market for games. The precedent suggests that it would take at least a year before releasing on PC. Their GTA games actually went from releasing 6 months after the PC to a year and then most recently to 2 years.

And how well it goes on to sell regardless on the PC, contrary to what people seem to think whenever that happens with games, doesn't push them to release day and date with PC, but rather reinforces that they can focus on the console version first and then take their time with a PC port.
Things always change. Sony is now releasing their best games on PC. If this was said 5 years ago no one would have believed it.
I think GTA has a big PC following and there is no need for Rockstar to make them second class citizens.

Mr.Phoenix

Things always change. Sony is now releasing their best games on PC. If this was said 5 years ago no one would have believed it.
I think GTA has a big PC following and there is no need for Rockstar to make them second class citizens.
I won't go as far as call them second-class citizens. There could be reasons why they delay a PC release.

1. Optimization. Surely, it's easier to make the game for consoles first and then take her time and properly optimize for a PC release.
  2. Piracy. It's no secret that piracy is still a big deal on the PC side of things.
  3. It doesn't cost them anything. There is nothing to indicate that staggering the release of the game would negatively impact sales.

I won't go as far as call them second-class citizens. There could be reasons why they delay a PC release.

1. Optimization. Surely, it's easier to make the game for consoles first and then take her time and properly optimize for a PC release.
  2. Piracy. It's no secret that piracy is still a big deal on the PC side of things.
  3. It doesn't cost them anything. There is nothing to indicate that staggering the release of the game would negatively impact sales.
You may be right, I just think with the changing times of PC getting more games, quicker, and with Rockstar have 5600 devs, I just think they have the ability to do it now. When RDR2 was released they had just over 2000 devs. That's a massive increase in head count.
It would also be a good thing to do.

CGNoire

Like GTA IV is in its core a PS2 game? Bullshit.
You don't have to be a fan of Rockstar, but on a technical level they have delivered with every first game on a new console generation.
GTA3 on PS2
GTA4 on PS3
RDR II on PS4
All real eye-catchers at their time.
That Rockstar has been dead ever since GTA online and since Dan Houser left. That was the last nail in the coffin. RDR2 is probably the last game with that level of ambition. Shits over. We are now slaves to the GTAonline whales from now on.

No AAA dev is gonna hold back there ambitions just so they can cater to Steam Deck owners.
Why do you think all those AAA devs have such low minimum PC specs? I mean, it would be holding back "their" ambitions? (Like any dev has done anything ambitious in the last decade)
They do it because the PC users graph is skinny at the top, and bigger at the bottom and middle.
You think that they are developing their ambitious AAA game that can only be ran on a 4090, by maybe 100,000 people?
They want to make money. They make money by increasing their potential audience. It's the exact same reason why movie studios try and have the lowest age rating they can.

CGNoire

Why do you think all those AAA devs have such low minimum PC specs? I mean, it would be holding back "their" ambitions? (Like any dev has done anything ambitious in the last decade)
They do it because the PC users graph is skinny at the top, and bigger at the bottom and middle.
You think that they are developing their ambitious AAA game that can only be ran on a 4090, by maybe 100,000 people?
They want to make money. They make money by increasing their potential audience. It's the exact same reason why movie studios try and have the lowest age rating they can.
Where is this Huge Steam Deck audience?
AAA devs arent even paying it lip service at this time.

Last edited:

CGNoire

My post said Steam Deck and lower speced PCs. There are millions of gaming PCs with similar spec levels of the steam deck.
There isn't a win in this for you.
I thought It was clear with my post that I was disagreeing with you about your steam deck comment. I dont know why you see this as a competition now?

I thought It was clear with my post that I was disagreeing with you about your steam deck comment. I dont know why you see this as a competition now?
You isolated the Steam deck to try a silly gotcha. I didn't isolate the Steam Deck as the only reason devs would have minimum specs, I said Steam Deck and all those PCs with similar specs.
There is nothing to be right about with the Steam deck argument you have put up.

CGNoire

You isolated the Steam deck to try a silly gotcha. I didn't isolate the Steam Deck as the only reason devs would have minimum specs, I said Steam Deck and all those PCs with similar specs.
There is nothing to be right about with the Steam deck argument you have put up.

No gotcha just a misunderstanding.
I read you initial comment to suggest the popularity of Steam Deck had to be acknowledged by devs.

When it comes to low spec PCs I would argue low spec PC Gamers have been conditioned to put up with way lower visual and performance standards than console owners and most often will be ok with Potato Mode @25fps. The real Albatross is the XSS.

That Rockstar has been dead ever since GTA online and since Dan Houser left. That was the last nail in the coffin. RDR2 is probably the last game with that level of ambition. Shits over. We are now slaves to the GTAonline whales from now on.
People said the same thing when Leslie Benzies left after GTA V. Dan Houser is/was a great writer, but I don't think him leaving means that Rockstar will be less ambitious, at least on a technical level. Rockstar undoubtedly will create its most immersive and detailed world with GTA 6. They pretty much have an unlimited budget with an incredible amount of resources to do that

And say what you want, but people don't play GTA for its story. It's all about the sandbox created for the gamer. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Dan Houser is credited as a writer for GTA 6. Reports stated a while back that Rockstar already had the story of the next several GTA titles written/outlined

L*][*N*K

Banned
I just want an official trailer for GTA 6. What i don't like about Rockstar is their secrecy when it comes to their games.
Oh so you want a trailer now and a release in 5-6 years so you can complain about Rockstar taking too long, same thing you people do with Bethesda and Elder Scrolls

MMaRsu

Banned
Oh so you want a trailer now and a release in 5-6 years so you can complain about Rockstar taking too long, same thing you people do with Bethesda and Elder Scrolls
Thats not really how Rockstar operates. Bethesda just released a cgi trailer to shut up the fanboys. They aren't even developing TESIV right now

MMaRsu

Banned
People said the same thing when Leslie Benzies left after GTA V. Dan Houser is/was a great writer, but I don't think him leaving means that Rockstar will be less ambitious, at least on a technical level. Rockstar undoubtedly will create its most immersive and detailed world with GTA 6. They pretty much have an unlimited budget with an incredible amount of resources to do that

And say what you want, but people don't play GTA for its story. It's all about the sandbox created for the gamer. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Dan Houser is credited as a writer for GTA 6. Reports stated a while back that Rockstar already had the story of the next several GTA titles written/outlined

Not only has Leslie Benzies left, Lazlow as well, who wrote much of the dialogue and script in a lot of Rockstar games.

Schmendrick

Yeah, no dev cares about Steam. It's where they sell the.majority of their PC games. They care.
So we agree, the PC minimum specs are less than the consoles.
We also agree that PC game releases arnt even specifying SSDs yet.
That was pretty easy.
Easy to see that you're just trolling maybe...

Suddenly steam is the same as steam deck for your argument's sake?
Laugh Lol GIF

Base line for game design are always the consoles, the weakest hardware on which a game has to run at specific standards.
Anything below that is just scaling.
And again lol at that nonsense SSD remark...what are those next gen games that would require ssds? Are they in the room with us now?

Last edited:

CGNoire

I hope you are right. I just know this industry tends to be lead by Greed and GTA Online is one hell of a Distraction. Shits been 10 years and they where still working with what looked like PS4 level assets in test footage as late as 2019. I get that those assets are place holders but still something doesnt seem right like the underlying ambition didnt seem to be there. IDK maybe Im just extra cynical cause of the state of AAA gaming.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
What's with all the steam deck talk? From what I've seen of the leaked media I'm not impressed.

Last edited:
I hope you are right. I just know this industry tends to be lead by Greed and GTA Online is one hell of a Distraction. Shits been 10 years and they where still working with what looked like PS4 level assets in test footage as late as 2019. I get that those assets are place holders but still something doesnt seem right like the underlying ambition didnt seem to be there. IDK maybe Im just extra cynical cause of the state of AAA gaming.
You could make the argument that GTA online is the main reason why Rockstar has so many people working on GTA 6. Rockstar is planning for this game to last 10+ years. So you can be assured they have every incentive to release this game with all the bells and whistles to make sure it holds up well enough 10 years down the line. It's one game being built with over 5000 people working on it with 6+ years development time. Nothing in the gaming industry has come close to matching that. No reason to be pessimistic imo

I personally wish Rockstar would work on two games at once, even if it meant making games that weren't as technically stunning. 1 Rockstar game every 6-7 years is brutal. But I'll be super excited for that 1 game

Last edited:

Neilg

Shits been 10 years and they where still working with what looked like PS4 level assets in test footage as late as 2019. I get that those assets are place holders
lol are they place holders or do you fear thats what the game will look like? 'I KNOW that this is a placeholder, but like, what if it isn't?'

they can develop the game independently of the final visual touches. you have to with a game that takes 10 years to make, all scripting and design is plug and play when it comes to switching lighting engine and replacing shaders/assets.

CGNoire

You could make the argument that GTA online is the main reason why Rockstar has so many people working on GTA 6. Rockstar is planning for this game to last 10+ years. So you can be assured they have every incentive to release this game with all the bells and whistles to make sure it holds up well enough 10 years down the line. It's one game being built with over 5000 people working on it with 6+ years development time. Nothing in the gaming industry has come close to matching that. No reason to be pessimistic imo

I personally wish Rockstar would work on two games at once, even if it meant making games that weren't as technically stunning. 1 Rockstar game every 6-7 years is brutal. But I'll be super excited for that 1 game
Yeah Rockstar only working on one game at once isnt cutting it for sure.
Id kill for them to buy the cyberpunk lisense form CDPR and do that genre the justice only a company with pockets that deep could even dream of.

CGNoire

lol are they place holders or do you fear thats what the game will look like? 'I KNOW that this is a placeholder, but like, what if it isn't?'

they can develop the game independently of the final visual touches. you have to with a game that takes 10 years to make, all scripting and design is plug and play when it comes to switching lighting engine and replacing shaders/assets.
No there clearly placeholders and of course its gonna look way better. But i would assume a true next gen games underlyng geometry even its placeholders would be of a higher complexity since that could effect gameplay and they would need to test in a similar enviroment. It looks like a ps4 games placeholder is what Im saying. Clearly the final game will look way way better.

Gambit2483

I can't but roll my eyes at people who have loved GTA games in the past but now somehow they feel like this shit won't be as groundbreaking as their previous titles.
I think it's just the FUD kicking in now that several key players to the GTA franchise are no longer involved.

These key people were some of the lead creative minds behind the franchise and its storied success. Can it be done without them? Sure...but will it be done without them? No one knows. Either way we will see...

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Seems like they are taking some liberties with the geography if this supposed to take place in Florida seen some large hills and elevation

Neilg

. But i would assume a true next gen games underlyng geometry even its placeholders would be of a higher complexity since that could effect gameplay

Can you give an example of how you think that could happen? I can't see how a higher detail tree or extra particles/decals on the road would change gameplay.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Can you give an example of how you think that could happen? I can't see how a higher detail tree or extra particles/decals on the road would change gameplay.
I only meant the geometry. Like bumps in the road or objects to dodge like road cones, contruction barriers, pedestrian density. All that you would have to dodge in your vehicle affecting gameplay and timings in missons. But then again it is a very short low res video of only one small area. My bigger concern is it still seemed so far off and Im hoping they dont just throw money at it and rush development . All the money in the world isnt gonna guarantee sucess. Them being this early in development after 10 years is concerning to me and suggests this aint the same company that made iv and v.

BootsLoader

Banned
Damn, some posts are gold here. People judge a game by Alpha or Pre Alpha footage or whatever it is. I am posting so this can go up and I can check more of those posts.

Kupfer

Damn, some posts are gold here. People judge a game by Alpha or Pre Alpha footage or whatever it is. I am posting so this can go up and I can check more of those posts.
You would really have to make the effort to collect all these stupid posts and rub them under people's noses again at the appropriate time, it would be a feast.

Top Bottom