• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA Online Heists Previews [5th March]

dex3108

IGN

“F*** it,” I yelled. “We’re going in!” I floored it in my Jester sports car and sped into the heavily guarded Merryweather Security base at the waterside Port of Los Santos while IGN’s Jon Ryan, one of my three heist partners, clawed at the dashboard and shrieked like a cheerleader from the passenger seat. We came here in search of a Valkyrie gunship helicopter, and dammit, we weren’t about to let 50 well-armed Merryweather goons get in our way.

We plowed through the first checkpoint and the two thugs manning it, setting the entire port on high alert. From there we swerved our way around shipping crates, parked vehicles, and more checkpoints, turning a few more Merryweather PMCs into Jester hood ornaments. We spotted the Valkyrie at the back of the base near a dock, skidded the car to a stop, and took cover behind a barricade. We needed a window of time just large enough to dart to the chopper and escape, pick up our two other literal partners-in-crime at a safe distance outside the base, and pilot the military helicopter to safety. But we didn’t pick off enough of them on our way in, and by the time we exited our car, we were surrounded and gunned down before we could board the copter. Mission over. Back to the checkpoint.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03...s-hands-on-theyre-real-and-theyre-spectacular

Gamesradar

“Three. Two. One. MARK”. On my signal, we take aim. Not at an enemy, but at a friend. A friend who's currently driving our armoured truck with its EMP payload along a cliff edge – and starting to flinch. “What are you doing? Hey, cut it out…” Too late. We let rip. Everyone laughs.

Hey, it's not like it sounds. Grand Theft Auto Online's new Heist mode hasn't turned us into mutineers or psychopaths – in fact, quite the opposite – but inspired what GTA does best: unscripted, in-the-moment, farce. We're not raising our weapons, but sat in the back of an armoured truck and exploiting our knowledge of the lesser-known controls to lock into first-person mode and… flip the driver the bird (go into unarmed mode, then tap 'shoot' in first-person). GTA Online's new Heists are packed with Hollywood-style action beats to rival Bourne, 007 or the classic 80s action movies, but it's the shared experience and off-mission goof-balling that evoke emotions to rival any set-piece.

http://www.gamesradar.com/gta-onlin...=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=owned

Gamereactor

My favourite mission in GTA Online to date was one that'd my friends and I would always make sure we'd include in our weekly play session.

It was jet theft job, requiring a trip to the beach, a coordinated assault on the suit-clad heavies guarding the plane, and then a two-way split. One of us would take to the skies and cruise towards Blaine County airport with the others jumping into vehicles and racing along the motorway to get there first. The reason? In order to clear rocket-wielding cads from the landing strip and provide a safe landing zone for our stolen jet.

It was a mission the success of which hinged on cooperation. That whatever role you played offered something fun to do diffused any squabbling, and the objectives - and how you achieved them - played into the rich diversity of GTA's gameplay landscape.

http://www.gamereactor.eu/previews/293904/Grand+Theft+Auto+V+-+Online+Heist+Impressions/

I floored it in my Jester sports car and sped into the heavily guarded Merryweather Security base at the waterside Port of Los Santos while IGN’s Jon Ryan, one of my three heist partners, clawed at the dashboard and shrieked like a cheerleader from the passenger seat.

I'm reminded of this first hands-on with GTAV. Just absolutely goofy imagery that's supposed to sound exciting.

ODDI

Sounds good, time to dust off the old headset and play with some friends anyone still plays on x360?

Might have to pick up the Remaster for PS4 when this drops... this is what I think a lot of people wanted from GTA V; that next true step in the evolution of the GTA franchise.

dc89

OH damn, I kinda forgot this was coming so soon. The months and months of waiting are to blame.

anddo0

IGN compares them to Destiny raids (a good thing) 3-hours+ the first time through, speed runs 45-mins or so.

For free content, sounds good to me considering there will be four of them.

Nothus

Each heist takes 2 or 3 HOURS. God damn.

You need to be at least level 12 and own a high end apartment to start a heist. I guess I'd better get working on my rank this weekend then!

Will you have to team up with people and plan to do the heist together or is there a type of match making? I don't have a lot of friends that play GTA Online and the Gaf clan isn't that active. I don't care that much about the money gained from heists but the gameplay

Derpyduck

Banned
Will you have to team up with people and plan to do the heist together or is there a type of match making? I don't have a lot of friends that play GTA Online and the Gaf clan isn't that active. I don't care that much about the money gained from heists but the gameplay

The way money is being handled leads me to believe you wouldn't want to play with strangers. Especially if you're the heist leader who has to put up half a million of your own money. Rockstar's real moneymaker with GTA5 continues to be sales of in-game money, which doesn't appear to be changing with heists.

The way money is being handled leads me to believe you wouldn't want to play with strangers. Especially if you're the heist leader who has to put up half a million of your own money. Rockstar's real moneymaker with GTA5 continues to be sales of in-game money, which doesn't appear to be changing with heists.

Unless there was a system where if they do not complete it the host of the heist will get their money back. But it would help a lot of people to have some easy way of finding people down for heists that will take 2-3 hour or have a drop in drop out system. I personally don't care about gaining money, but I know I don't want to lose any.

Zunja

Have they said how much money you have to put up to do the heist? I got the house for my friends and have around 200k. We don't want to log on and find out we have to grind for another 300k or so just to play the heists.

I'm reminded of this first hands-on with GTAV. Just absolutely goofy imagery that's supposed to sound exciting.

I hate the bullshit way that IGN previews are written.
You're not writing a damn novel.

This. Every time I read one of these masturbatory reviews/previews I seriously entertain the thought that they got paid to write it by the game publisher. Or they can't get a job at New York Times so they put their bullshit on gaming sites

Derpyduck

Banned
Have they said how much money you have to put up to do the heist? I got the house for my friends and have around 200k. We don't want to log on and find out we have to grind for another 300k or so just to play the heists.

I think one of the previews said the guy leading the heist put up 498k.

Jackpot

Banned
IGN’s Jon Ryan, one of my three heist partners, clawed at the dashboard and shrieked like a cheerleader from the passenger seat.

ugh, it's one thing to write about how your colleague shrieks and drops the controller as the immersion overtakes them, but he's writing it as if they're in an actual car. Is this fanfiction?

Kssio_Aug

These impressions seems very fabricated. The same kind of previews I've read all the time previous GTA Online release.

I don't actually want to know what amazing things supposedly happened during their playthroughs, I just want to know what has improved, how it works, and, if there's any flaws, that they state it and not hide them behind their supposedly true excitement.

I've never been a big fan of previews and reviews that try to put you in the character they're playing as or as if these things had actually happened.

Sounds fun for a week. You really HAVE to have a good group of people for the online to be fun.

I just 'discovered' Vanoss gaming channel this week and I am so jealous of their videos. It's the kind of stuff we used to do at launch with big groups. I got back on to play last night and there just isn't enough to do alone anymore. I'm still in the PS gaf clan. I'll be ready to go if anyone else is up for it.

Can't wait for this - gonna be awesome!

My only worry is finding a good group to do them with. I play with 2 RL friends a fair bit, but I gather it takes a larger group than that.

Tawpgun

Lot's of questions still need to be answered.

Will it have matchmaking? Does matchmaking force equal pay? Will a destinyLFG.com like site be necessary?

Will it require a certain aiming mode? GTA Online right now is super segregated because there are like 4 different aiming modes and you only matchmake with people with that aiming mode.

This causes issues because while I find free aim the most fun, because its challenging, most encounters are designed with auto aim in mind due to the AI being pinpoint accurate and having downright stupid spawns.

I think the heists need to force you into a mode by default but then also allow you select free aim for an increased pay out.

Foffy

Banned
Oh ouch. Is it at one time fee for as many retries as you want? I can't imagine they would make you pay that each wipe.

I can imagine you have to pay per Heist. It helps them take advantage of the microtransaction money. I remember I stopped playing when they nerfed the payout for every mission by half, though to be fair this was a month after the game launched. Maybe they fixed it.

Top Bottom