• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA Online monetization model leaked. Buy money. [Found on Rockstar Servers]

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
no you cant steal cash thats deposited into the bank account

as far as i know, everytime you earn money in gta online you have to take it to an ATM or youll run into risk of getting robbed by other players.

that description explicitly states that the money gets deposited on your bank account

My guess is this goes to the ATM card and can't be stolen. Cash picked up in game can be stolen.

There is no way Rockstar is dumb enough to let someone spend 20 bucks of real money and lose it in half a second. The backlash isn't worth it to them (it would also result in people spending less real money buying virtual currency).

This is a mainstream game, not EVE.

Tourmeta

In GTAOnline people can shoot you up and steal your cash.
This would mean people can steal your real money as a game mechanic, beyond imbecile.

This money would definitely go straight to the safe bank account. Carried money is obtained from gameplay and you have to bank it before it's safe, adds some nice mechanics to heists and such.

Seems fine if it's easy enough to gain money through completing missions (probably more fun too).

If people want to waste their money on virtual cash with little detriment to me, then fair enough.

Some players like me will want to gradually build up their 'empire', but others won't have the patience and will want the fastest cars and biggest houses from the off - up to them.

Bsigg12

This will just be a get money fast thing. You'll still be able to make money by doing things. It's how other games have handled purchases, give players the option to spend real money to get there quicker

Sorian

Banned
No.
I know there's pretty complex player driven economy there.
However i don't think GTA needs the same complexity at all, it also doesn't have the same crowd playing it.

It's not really complex. If you are willing to inject your own money into the game, be ready to possibly lose it.

bidguy

Banned
This money would definitely go straight to the safe bank account. Carried money is obtained from gameplay and you have to bank it before it's safe, adds some nice mechanics to heists and such.

yeah its pretty interesting.

imagine going into a heist with strangers and getting shot in the back by someone who takes your cut afterwards.

funny stuff.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
milkit.jpg

Apparently one billion in three days aint a thang.

UrbanRats

If it's for GTAOnline, i think it adds a level of complexity that doesn't suit the game.
If it's for the singleplayer, it's one of those stupid monetization things that can be ignored (like SKATE 2 had).

StuBurns

Banned
GTA is about the escalation of your crimes and the monetary reward. It's fine this option's there, but even if I didn't mind paying money for avatar clothing or whatever, and I do, it seems like it'd betray the nature of GTA.

I was wondering with the PSN Store was so firmly integrated within the game. I thought you'd be able to buy clothes online or something.

Foffy

Banned
I really don't see how anyone can say this is just a rumor or BS if an XML file on Rockstar's own website says this..

UrbanRats

It's not really complex. If you are willing to inject your own money into the game, be ready to possibly lose it.

Well i guess it depends on how easy it is to make money in the game without having to pay for it.
IF it's something that can be easily ignored like the cash pack in Sleeping Dogs and such, whatever.
If it's a big part of the game's economy, i don't think it suits the game style very well.

But of course, we'll see how it turns out.

BigDug13

I see why now they waited for the online part. They wanted all reviews to reflect the game as is and not filled with microtransactions to get ahead.

Disappointing if this is how it turns out.

What I don't get is this. Are they not making enough money from the game sales? Is it not going to become the most profitable non-MMO of all time?

Salex_

milkit.jpg

Apparently one billion in three days aint a thang.

So they didn't have to spend over 200 million to make the game? What about paying people for working on the game for 5 years?

wow at some of the responses

how the hell does this affect you ? there will be 700 missions in gta online where youll be able to get money plus deathmatch modes and heists. who cares if someone takes a shortcut ?
It's much easier to assume the worst and overreact, just look at the deep down F2P thread. No details at all yet people wrote the game off and said it was going to be like some IOS games.

StoOgE

One caveat: I'm not playing if enjoyment is largely dependent on how much real world money you put into it. So long as there's a real way to get money and weapons in-game, I'm satisfied.

If it's like every other F2P game you will be able to play without it.

That said, it'll take you 6 months to get that jet. Or you could just hand them 15 dollars and the jet is yours.

A lot of people are gonna want that jet early.

bidguy

Banned

how the hell does this affect you ? there will be 700 missions in gta online where youll be able to get money plus deathmatch modes and heists. who cares if someone takes a shortcut ?

You can not lose money in your account. You can be robbed of your money from heists etc. which you have not deposited yet.

It's just interesting that you can essentially be robbed of some amount of money that has real world value.

That actually intrigues me...

Very much EVE Online-like

StoOgE

It's already not a F2P, since you have to buy GTAV to play it.

They have said that GTAO is a seperate game and will be supported for years.

It's a F2P game that came bundled with GTAV. Don't be surprised when you can download this next year for all consoles without GTAV.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Before we freak out we need to know what the rates are for monetization. We Can't do too much without those.

UrbanRats

They have said that GTAO is a seperate game and will be supported for years.

It's a F2P game that came bundled with GTAV. Don't be surprised when you can download this next year for all consoles without GTAV.

I won't be.
But for now it isn't.

Depends on the matchmaking. If I'm getting dropped into games 2 hours after GTA Online has opened and being paired against people with Tanks and Jets, while I'm being all Scooter Brother, I'm not going to enjoy that.

Trey

It's just interesting that you can essentially be robbed of some amount of money that has real world value.

That actually intrigues me...

Very much EVE Online-like

Time is a real world value. It's always weird to me when people don't consider it that way.

BigDug13

So they didn't have to spend over 200 million to make the game? What about paying people for working on the game for 5 years?

It's much easier to assume the worst and overreact, just look at the deep down F2P thread. No details at all yet people wrote the game off and said it was going to be like some IOS games.

Uhh, dude don't you realize paying all those salaries is factored in to production costs of movies and games?

And that's 1 billion in a WEEK. The game is still going to sell incredibly well above that.

Foffy

Banned
:D

If it's single player I could see it but it being multiplayer sounds dumb, I don't think they would do it.
But they might.

Check the XML file, man. It specifically cites GTA Online for this pay for money system.

<Product id="cash_pack_A" platformProductId="0x231e0000" consumableId="0x1" releaseTime="">
<Name>Red Shark Cash Card - $100,000</Name>
<ShortDesc>Red Shark Cash Card - $100,000</ShortDesc>
<LongDesc>
Cash is king in this town. Solve your money problems and help get what you want across Los Santos and Blaine County with the purchase of cash packs for Grand Theft Auto Online. All purchased cash is automatically deposited into your character&#8217;s bank account. Spend wisely, cash therapy is fleeting.
</LongDesc>

Depends on the matchmaking. If I'm getting dropped into games 2 hours after GTA Online has opened and being paired against people with Tanks and Jets, while I'm being all Scooter Brother, I'm not going to enjoy that.

Hm now you say that I understand the stuff about the cops going after you if you're in a stolen car.

Some players feel they have paid $60 to be placed on an arbitrary tread mill, where the only way to experience the content they have paid for is to input 80+ hours or to cough up $$$. There is an undeniable conflict of interest with these monetsation schemes where the player is seen as a node to be incentivised to pay more. It's not about how fun we can make this game, it's how slowly can we dole it out while maintaining interest and maximising profit on digital trinkets. Thought this was obvious.

good ol' microtranstion, eh? No thanks. If this ends up being true I'll most likely just play GTA online for like a week(most likely less) till I move on compared to RDR where I spent a solid 2 months playing online.

Orca

no you cant steal cash thats deposited into the bank account

as far as i know, everytime you earn money in gta online you have to take it to an ATM or youll run into risk of getting robbed by other players.

that description explicitly states that the money gets deposited on your bank account

It seems like a pity that money deposited to the bank isn't up for grabs in a heist then haha

StoOgE

Haven't played a F2P game before have you?

That's the entire business model.

Some do it better than others (TF2) where the game is mostly playable no matter what. Others (Planetfall 2) very much put you as a massive disadvantage without upgraded weapons. I spent 20 bucks and my KD ratio nearly doubled.

UrbanRats

I'm sure there'll be level based perks and all those shenanigans.
And the matchmaking should accomodate that.

LtOrange

GTA Online sounds way too awesome for me to angry over something like this. I will simply play the game instead of using shortcuts like this.

BigDug13

Some players feel they have paid $60 to be placed on an arbitrary tread mill, where the only way to experience the content they have paid for is to input 80+ hours or to cough up $$$. There is an undeniable conflict of interest with these monetsation schemes where the player is seen as a node to be incentivised to pay more. It's not about how fun we can make this game, it's how slowly can we dole it out while maintaining interest and maximising profit on digital trinkets. Thought this was obvious.

It's quite obvious to a few of us, but most people don't see the conflict of interest that exists when fun gets mashed into a "grind or pay for quantities of fun" system. Developers no longer try to satisfy you fully, instead they work on ways to satisfy you "just enough" to want to pay for more satisfaction.

Haven't played a F2P game before have you?

That's the entire business model.

Of course I've played them before, which was my entire point on why people might not like the idea of people being able to buy insane shit within hours of the game mode opening up.

Skins/Clothes/Hair, etc I don't mind at all.

I'm sure there'll be level based perks and all those shenanigans.
And the matchmaking should accomodate that.

Hopefully!

Derrick01

Banned

I'm going to care when someone kills me with a rocket launcher on day 1 because they can immediately afford it.

Agree with this. It's like the game designers have a little corporate executive sitting on their shoulder. "Yeah, I'm sure players would love to get a tank, but wouldn't we make more profit if we charge them $10 for one?"

Top Bottom