• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar Should Make GTA Online F2P, Eventually

Fat4all

Banned
Contained in one of the best selling games of all time is also one of the most profitable online multiplayer games around.

Two years ago was the last time we heard about how successful the microtransaction service was, and GTA Online is still one of, if not the most-played multiplayer game of this generation. Much of its popularity is not only derived from the mode itself, but also the attention and publicity it gets constantly from popular Youtubers, whose videos reach in the millions sometimes within the first day of its upload (similar to Minecraft, though less so). The next step should be for GTA Online to be made its own separate download and available as a F2P title. With this should probably come the regular(ish) updates that are currently provided, but also the opportunity for user generated content to be expanded and prioritized, something like the current Team Fortress 2 model. With the release of this, Rockstar could also release versions of GTAV that include special GTA Online content or Shark Cash Cards to keep the paid game relevant. They should probably release it when GTAV is at a steady decline, but probably not before it starts to lose relevance on Youtube and inside it's own community.

Not that Rockstar is hurting for cash, but this would be a very easy and popular way to get extra funds and life out of GTA Online before they release GTAVI and the eventual GTA Online 2 later in the generation.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Okay, but don't penalize folks who bought the game and are enjoying it as it is. I don't want more F2P elements to start invading the game if I've bought the whole thing. Do something like TF2 does if you have to.

edit: I swear I read OPs I swear I read OPs

Fat4all

Banned
Okay, but don't penalize folks who bought the game and are enjoying it as it is. I don't want more F2P elements to start invading the game if I've bought the whole thing. Do something like TF2 does if you have to.

edit: I swear I read OPs I swear I read OPs

Well, a lot of paid services that become F2P usually offer the ones who were paid things to make them happy or show their legacy in the game. It would be crazy for Rockstar to not do the same. Some sort of special car or outfit or something, maybe.

Honestly, what would be the point? Pretty much anyone who's interested in GTA Online already owns GTAV.

There's always room for more players who could potentially purchase more microtransactions. The boom that happened after TF2 was big, but this could be even bigger.

Multiplayer components spun off into it own download isn't that common.Even doing it after Gta online interest dying off would take more years than Gta online probably has of support from rockstar GtaV is still 60$ years later.

Top Bottom