• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V *NEXT GEN* Impressions from the GameStop managers conference

Some people must have some magical TV sets, or simply aren't sensitive to jaggies/aliasing, because GTA V was 720p and had poor AA. The IQ was bad. There's no two ways about it.

i-Lo

All they have to do now is bring in their next generation of engine and the biggest change: Physical based rendering.

Imagine how Red Dead XYZ and especially GTA VII by the end of the gen. would be like.

RooMHM

The trailers comparison really hurt. When you see that developpers discover real time lighting only this gen. It's frightening.

omonimo

Banned
Some people must have some magical TV sets, or simply aren't sensitive to jaggies/aliasing, because GTA V was 720p and had poor AA. The IQ was bad. There's no two ways about it.
Like the most of the ps360 if you ask me. I'm not sure what exactly has of more terrible GTA in these console..

The original version was an astounding achievement in my books, considering the hardware it was running on. Yes, the framerate annoyed me but many times I found myself marveling that the graphics and interactivity of the environment were on par with games that had a much smaller scope and restricted environment. Rockstar deserve as much praise for their wizardry as anything naughty dog has accomplished and I'm not suprised that their next gen versions of GTA are so ambitious.

I think people are willing to compromise, and when you have an enormous open world with a ton of unique details and almost no two items in the world the same (and zero loading once you're in the world), people are willing to look past IQ issues in the forefront.

The only graphical issues that bugged me in GTAV were texture pop-ins, and they were unreliable and annoying. I barely saw any of it at first, but after 20 hours, building textures very annoyingly popped in and many othr times, just knowing that there was a chance for popin would make me wonder whether the building I was looking at had it's final texture loaded or if it was the pre-loaded texture.

Can't wait for GTAV on PS4/X1 to not have that

--
Also, just to backup Shogun's cred (guy in OP)... He wrote all of these GTAV details on Thursday night in the Community GTAV OT, and then was like "A new trailer and info should be available soon, plus a hard release date..." and then when I woke up 9 hours later, Rockstar had their new press release.

People that finished the game, do you really want to play it again with slightly better visuals?

I knew I'd play it a second or third time while I was playing it. Almost every mission has multiple ways to play it, and when I saw the "Mission Score" or the little check boxes at the end of each one, I knew I was going to play it again. But then I also thought it'd get re-released on PC or PS4/X1 so I wanted to wait before playing it again. GTAV is my most anticipated game of 2014, as it was 2013.

Squozen

I'm in. Skipped the PS3 version because GTA4 on PS3 nearly gave me a headache, it was running at such a low resolution.

Wait last gen versions was pre backed, regard to lighting that is?

Always thought is was dynamic.

Glad you mentioned this. I specifically remembered reading an interview with R* where they said that every light in the world was from an authentic light source, every one. I think it was an IGN interview or article. ANd then when I saw this I thought to myself, maybe the final version removed that but when they did the interview they were developing both current and next gen and thought the feature would make both versions.

If you search "GTAV Dynamic lighting" it has a ton of references, but I can't find the original article

Yep:

Rockstar North's Aaron Garbut:

I think one of the most amazing features is the way we handle lighting in the game to maintain a consistent look despite the constraints on realistic lighting and shadows on current hardware. Every single light we place in the world is stored, streamed, and laid into the map, even into the distance.

http://www.lazygamer.net/general-news/gta-v-is-closing-the-graphical-gap-on-linear-games/

eso76

Nope. It's just that objectively speaking, GTAV aliasing wasn't worse than that of most ps360 games.
Not especially good, not especially bad either, that's all.

eso76

Glad you mentioned this. I specifically remembered reading an interview with R* where they said that every light in the world was from an authentic light source, every one.
Yep:

Rockstar North's Aaron Garbut:

http://www.lazygamer.net/general-news/gta-v-is-closing-the-graphical-gap-on-linear-games/

Yep, clearly. A lot of them even cast correct shadows (weapons flashlights, helicopters' spotlights etc) and even shadows from the environment in the far far far distance (mountains, buildings etc) are correctly rendered according to TOD.
GTAV is an absolute technical marvel.
Now, gtav is the only game I know that doesn't suffer from major shadows draw in at all, and I guess shadows in the distance are indeed prebaked. That's why when the sun is setting you could be walking in the shadow of a mountain that is several miles away, no other game computes and renders shadows from structures so distant from the camera, so I'd imagine there's multiple techniques going on, an array of rough prebaked shadows for the entire map and something more accurate for proximity lighting

Already played the fuck out of it on 360 so, still not getting it no matter what the fuck R* does. I'll wait for the real next GTA whenever that is until then, the other "new" games releasing in october/november deserve more of my time.

I really hope they understand how important a stable framerate is. Pushing the system is admirable and all, but, seriously, adding in extra visual stuff that ruins the framerate is cutting off your nose to spite your face. I played my PS3 copy a couple of days ago for the first time in months and, like clockwork, spent the rest of the night with a headache because that game runs terribly. Gimme a stable 30FPS on PS4, for the love of Gawd.
I think you have serious problems.

I play gta V regularly without getting headaches.

I mean wtf? Maybe your sitting too close or you need glasses or some shit

Opt1kon_

So many People doubting that the PS4 can't run this at 1080p60fps is beyond me, Maybe it can't but I've learned to save judgement for when the publishers release the information because so many people were quick to say the PS4 couldn't run TLOU at 1080p60fps or Metro Redux at 1080p60fps,& lets not forget Tomb raider 2013 remaster, maybe GTA will run at 1080p30fps but i'll wait for Rockstar to let us know

So many People doubting that the PS4 can't run this at 1080p60fps is beyond me, Maybe it can't but I've learned to save judgement for when the publishers release the information because so many people were quick to say the PS4 couldn't run TLOU at 1080p60fps or Metro Redux at 1080p60fps,& lets not forget Tomb raider 2013 remaster, maybe GTA will run at 1080p30fps but i'll wait for Rockstar to let us know

None of those games are open world. Also they would have said something if it was 60 fps, it's the kind of thing you'd want to advertise.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.

It's open world, it is highly unlikely to have 60FPS.

It can't. You make a game that does 1080p at 60fps but not with this draw distance, number of objects, effects, etc.

BigDug13

I expect similar framerates as inFamous on PS4, being a similar open world city game. Maybe, just maybe they will give the option to choose locked 30 or unlocked framerates. But locked 60? Not happening. Will probably be locked 30 with no option to change it.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
I notice that too, a lot of people think that the ps3 and ps4 are the basically the same except for the ram and that Rockstar/Naughty Dog are going to half ass a port. 1080p/30fps easy minimum on ps4.

BigDug13

I notice that too, a lot of people think that the ps3 and ps4 are the basically the same except for the ram and that Rockstar/Naughty Dog are going to half ass a port. 1080p/30fps easy minimum on ps4.

If 1080p/30fps is "easy minimum", then why are we seeing 900p games on PS4?

Xyber

All very linear games, can't really compare those to a big open world game.

I'm not saying the game can't run at any higher than 30 on PS4, but I'm extremely doubtful it could maintain 60FPS. Perhaps it could come with the option to unlock the framerate and maybe get a variable FPS that could reach 60 in some situations. But I doubt it would even get above 45 on average. But a solid 30 is better than something between 30 and 60.

Anyway, my GTX980 and i7 will be ready for the game in January, sure hope it won't run like shit.

Xenon

I just wish graphics and performance were the only problems I had with this game because it sounds like Rockstar is putting a lot of work into this.

BigDug13

Keep seeing? There are two of them: BF4 and Watchdogs, one of which was a launch game. Both of which were made for 4+ platform simultaneously.

Unless I'm missing others?

Where do you see the words "keep seeing" in my post?

There are only two 900p games on PS4.

Having a single game not at 1080p/30fps automatically makes the claim that "1080p/30fps is an Easy Minimum" false. If it was an easy minimum then developers would easily reach it on every title.

Regardless. The "easy minimum" of 1080p/30fps is exactly what GTAV will be.

Seanspeed

Banned
If it was just a straight port of the PS3/360 version, yes, it could probably do 1080p/60fps without too much trouble. TLOU only had very minor graphical upgrades from the PS3 version, which is why they could do it. Tomb Raider had a bit more work done, but not a ton, and it is only 1080p/60fps in some areas. In many others, it is often averaging in the 40's. Metro Last Light got some of the PC treatment, but not all, which is why it does 1080p/60fps(its also a linear FPS).

GTAV, a massive open-world game, has had quite a lot of work done to it, including increasing NPC and traffic density and their draw distance - things that will be pushing the CPU as well.

Option to disable 30Hz lock would totally rock, but doubt we'll see such an option.
It would only rock if you actually saw any noticeable improvement from it. Not every 30fps game has a magical extra 10-20fps its hiding from you. An extra occasional 5-10fps but with extreme tearing wouldn't be preferable to anybody.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
I should have clarified that 1080p/30fps will be the easy minimum this game will be.

Keep em remasters coming I haven't played gta 5 nor last of us, I'll be enjoying the shit out of these games when I get my ps4 this Christmas.

Atlas157

Three.

http://ca.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

- Battlefield 4
- EA Sports UFC
- Watch_Dogs

But regardless, the releases speak for themselves. 1080p on PS4 is expected.

I forgot about UFC. I guess I wanted it erased from my memory.

Having a single game not at 1080p/30fps automatically makes the claim that "1080p/30fps is an Easy Minimum" false. If it was an easy minimum then developers would easily reach it on every title.

Regardless. The "easy minimum" of 1080p/30fps is exactly what GTAV will be.

I understand that Battlefield 4 is 900p because it's a demanding game. But I don't count Watch_Dogs or UFC because those two games have no reason to be 900p. inFAMOUS Second Sun runs 30-40 FPS at 1080p and it looks better than Watch_Dogs, and UFC is just rendering two dudes in the Octagon.

1080p/30 is the easy minimum if the developers put effort in optimizing the game

Top Bottom