• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V - The little details that caught your attention?

big_z

one of the first Trevor missions where you drive across that metal bridge impressed me a lot. not only did they nail the sound but the vibration in the controller felt exactly like it does when driving across those kinds of bridges. I've never felt the rumble be used like that which makes me sad most developers don't explore it.

So at this point, is this the greatest game of all time? I'm being serious here, this has beaten my expectations and honestly. I think it's surpassed what doom did for me nearly 20 years ago.

theres a ton of small details in this game that are amazing but the gta humor, some characters and parts of the gameplay isn't great or feels tired. RDR is a better game and experience imo but this is the best GTA.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Switching to Trevor is always so crazy:

1) He was sleeping in a dumpster and woke up half confused

2) Being chased by the police with 2 stars

3) Writing on a note pad by some port looking all suspicious

I'm very afraid of future switches to Trevor... haha

Some of my favorites...

1/ Two strippers run out of a strip club, Trevor follows a few seconds behind in his underwear.

2/ Trevor throwing a random Lost member off the side of a bridge.

3/ Trevor waking up drunk, on a small island to the east of the main land-mass, in his underwear again, with a bunch of dead bodies around him.

4/ Trevor eating out of a dumpster

5/ Trevor looking for something in the dumpster like above, but then proceeding to snatch a taco/hot dog thing from a passing by pedestrian before shooing him away.

Chris_C

A couple of small things:

You can change the vehicle chase camera height. Thank heavens. It made me nuts in GTA IV having to constantly push the camera higher so I could see traffic and turns ahead of time. Makes weaving in and out of traffic and anticipating corners a lot easier.

On a related subject, the aggressive re-centering camera seems to have been nixed. THANK YOU!

wizzbang

Banned
theres a ton of small details in this game that are amazing but the gta humor, some characters and parts of the gameplay isn't great or feels tired. RDR is a better game and experience imo but this is the best GTA.

I detest westerns.
I have 1 minuscule complaint about GTA5 and that's just a marginally weaker soundtrack than GTA4. (Except the awesome mission specific music)
Otherwise this is the best game I've ever, ever played.

elfinke

I detest westerns.
I have 1 minuscule complaint about GTA5 and that's just a marginally weaker soundtrack than GTA4. (Except the awesome mission specific music)
Otherwise this is the best game I've ever, ever played.

Yah, the music that rolls almost subliminally in the background during heists or main story missions is absolutely wonderful.

I think it is an indictment of the era (and a reflection of both my tastes and age!) that GTAV is placed in that the music radio stations don't resonate as much as previous GTA entries, more than anything else. Also, it's fair to say that a game set in the well defined eras of Vice City and San Andreas have a pretty great pool of identifiable music to draw from compared to GTAV, which is set in a far less precisely focused era, partly because it is contemporary rather than based on reminiscing or memories.

pahamrick

Didn't get to dig too deep into the game since I could only afford to Redbox it with some free codes, but one event which had me floored was one of the random events when I was Michael.

Woman screaming that she was robbed, and I see the robber taking off down the street. Hop on a bike to chase after him when he starts to run across an intersection and gets mowed down by Trevor in his truck, who's being chased by the cops.

Really wish I could have recorded that for future viewing sake.

slash3584

One time I switched to Michael and he was dropping Tracey off on some shop and arguing about how he was the worst father ever. She gets out of the car I check stocks on the internet, close the phone and go into reverse.

I run over Tracey and Michael screams OH MY GOD NOOOO!

sappyday

I ran into Franklin as Trevor only to see him in brawl with like 5 other guys so I help him out until the npcs took out guns and killed me and him before we were able to take out ours. Trevor comes out of the hospital saying "Franklin you idiot" and then I get text from Franklin saying if I'm okay.

Lach

I landed a small plane on a street and one of the wings got caught on a phonepost. The way the wing got compressed looked incredibly real to me. I tried to make a photo but social club was down.

Rageino

I'm sure this will count as a very minor spoiler to someone:
The mission where you first see the Z-type and have to track it in the sky as Trevor. Looks exactly how it did from above in GTA 2.

Putty

Just done the first flying in the game with trevor! Man it looks fucking amazing when up in the air, even the level of detail below stays at a pretty healthy level, just enough to keep you immered, but the lighting is just ssoo good!!

I never return the money/wallet. I guess I should.

I've never actually heard about that happening for the money/wallet... Is the person who you're quoting sure it wasn't the bicycle random event?

Because I know for sure returning one of the bicycles causes that to happen, happened to me and many, many other people. Never had anything special happen from a wallet return though.

reminder

Didn't get to dig too deep into the game since I could only afford to Redbox it with some free codes, but one event which had me floored was one of the random events when I was Michael.

Woman screaming that she was robbed, and I see the robber taking off down the street. Hop on a bike to chase after him when he starts to run across an intersection and gets mowed down by Trevor in his truck, who's being chased by the cops.

Really wish I could have recorded that for future viewing sake.

That's why i'm excited for the "last 15 minutes of gameplay" recording feature of the PS4.

devonodev

One small detail for me is how well they implemented the rumble in the controller while driving, well the Xbox one at least. Every small bump the vibration feels extra realistic for me.

Also when you're swapping characters, the angle of the first zoomed out view being straight above, the character and cars reminds me a lot of the first 2 GTA games.

One more thing is all the destructible environments, namely the corners of walls, and fences. I'm sure there's many FPS games that do this better, but I don't go into a GTA game where things will break into small pieces so often.

GTA's world feels alive.

I decided to cruise last night around the city, and while I didn't obey traffic laws, I didn't blindly race through intersections either. I stopped at a red light and witnessed a dirt bike zoom past (left to right) with a police cruiser in hot pursuit. The biker crashed and flew over the handle bars while the car he hit careened into a bus.

I slowly drove through the intersection and noticed a panicked bystander had hijacked the bus. The bus driver was writhing on the ground. I stopped and thought, "this is hilarious!"

It gets better.

The bus driver stood up, marched onto the bus and kicked his would-be hijacker in the face. He grabbed him by the back of the shirt and tossed him off.

But wait, it gets better. Again.

The panicked pedestrian stands up and starts to climb on the bus to finish what he started. That's when the front of the bus burst into flames and exploded, sending both men to their fiery grave.

The entire scenario was a moment of chaos I had zero part in creating. It makes me wonder what else is happening in the city when I am simply zooming from mission to mission.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
One of the cars I stole (an American style gas guzzling coupe) you could make out the speakers and cone, and carpet which was textured on the rear sill as well as the lines of the rear demister. I thought that was exceptionally detailed.

I am sure this was pointed out already but I noticed that the Internet mouse pointer is a middle finger, not a pointer. Tiny chuckle for that one.

one of the first Trevor missions where you drive across that metal bridge impressed me a lot. not only did they nail the sound but the vibration in the controller felt exactly like it does when driving across those kinds of bridges. I've never felt the rumble be used like that which makes me sad most developers don't explore it.

rdr still had many of the vestiges that made gtaiv a shit game (sanctimonious idiot of a main character, tiresome mission design, padded story length) so it is most certainly not better than gtav

todahawk

I landed a small plane on a street and one of the wings got caught on a phonepost. The way the wing got compressed looked incredibly real to me. I tried to make a photo but social club was down.

Social club being down has resulted in me not being able to save some awesome pix. Slightly annoyed it doesn't dump a local copy as well.

Social club being down has resulted in me not being able to save some awesome pix. Slightly annoyed it doesn't dump a local copy as well.
It not saving to HD for later upload to SC is amateur hours shit, IMO. I mean, who could have predicted their servers would be overloaded?!

nded

I like how Michael and Franklin have friendly 'greetings' when you hold right on the dpad next to pedestrians, but all Trevor seems to be able to do is insult passers by or just weird them out.

I also appreciate being able to flip people off at will while driving a vehicle.

Right now, I was on my way to Franklin's 2nd safe house when I saw a woman throwing stuff out of the balcony, screaming at her husband, calling him unfaithful and stuff like that. Then he asked me for a ride lol

0_0.jpg

deadeye

Called Lamar to hang out, and then went to pick him up on a motorcycle. Pulled up and the first thing he says is, "Do i look like a little bitch? you want me to hold you while riding on the back?" I cracked up laughing cause he still got on and we went to go watch a movie. That was a cool funny moment out of many that I've experienced while playing this game so far.

Hindle

Banned
I finished a few missions as Trevor where he goes crazy and kills everyone. Afterwards, I did a random event where I helped a couple who needed to get to thier hotel. During this mission, Trevor became a nice, well mannered guy who was talking to this couple like nothing had happened.

Nymphae

Banned
I've never actually heard about that happening for the money/wallet... Is the person who you're quoting sure it wasn't the bicycle random event?

Because I know for sure returning one of the bicycles causes that to happen, happened to me and many, many other people. Never had anything special happen from a wallet return though.

I returned some money to a civilian, and he just said thanks and walked away, not giving me a reward. Buddy, I just fucking got into a high speed chase and murdered a guy to get your wallet back, the least you could do is throw me some cash. So needless to say I smoked the guy with a silenced pistol and took the money he dropped.

Ephemeris

A guy asked for a ride to the airport. Got him there and he gave me a stock tip (for Trinkle i think?) "Buy it now!"

I made 250-300k on each character investing in that stock.

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
I finished a few missions as Trevor where he goes crazy and kills everyone. Afterwards, I did a random event where I helped a couple who needed to get to thier hotel. During this mission, Trevor became a nice, well mannered guy who was talking to this couple like nothing had happened.

You MAY have done that mission wrong :)

Michael picks up a bag and carries it to a car. They did foley work for this. Real subtle. Like, you can hear the zippers dangle. Probably more bagcarrying where this audio is used. Still.
The amount of people having worked on this must be crazy.

I like the slow pavement driving noise. And the distant car speeding one(s).

All this being said, it's somewhat disappointing that they haven't modeled interiors for at least the properties you can buy. Tequila-la-la actually does have one. Trevor I think gets to go in there for like a minute, after which that place apparently can't be entered again. For some reason.

Also, you can't seem to get Trevor to utilize the stripper pole. :(
He just stands there in his purty dress. A guy said he wanted to lick his asshole until it's shiny, so I suppose he doesn't need to dance. He's just naturally giving off the vibes.

Top Bottom