• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTAIV episodic content officially now Xbox 360 exclusive thx to SCAT MONEY

http://www.*******.com/2007/06/16/gta-iv-episodes-confirmed-xbox-360-exclusives/

Take-Two has confirmed that the promised episodic content for Grand Theft Auto IV on PS3 will not show up and is now an Xbox 360 exclusive. Questions arose regarding the episodic content earlier this week when the financial reports for Take-Two's fiscal year did not have the PS3 content present, but did have the Xbox 360. The game will still launch on both consoles Oct. 16 (Europe will receive it Oct. 19). Despite the Pachter effect, the release date for GTA is still locked and loaded for those dates.

So, why did this happen? Could have been a nice sum of money dropped into Take-Two's mailbox, or there were development issues with the PS3 content. Although not earth shattering, it does differentiate the two console versions of the game now and adds another piece of straw to Sony's already cracking back.

I did a search...didn't find anything...but I'm also really sleepy so if its old please lock:)

Mau ®

I think we knew this.

The real story was that the PS3 edition would get its own DLC. Not the Xbox 360's DLC.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Own both systems. Don't care!

Though if MS does drop the price this game will be a system seller for them. Never underestimate the power of GTA.

pswii60

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=25852

A Take-Two spokesperson has confirmed to GamesIndustry.biz that the episodic content planned for Grand Theft Auto IV will be exclusively released for the Xbox 360.
Talk of an exclusive deal began following the release of Take-Two's Q2 financial report on Tuesday. The report stated that the episodic content would be released on 360 during the 2008 fiscal year - with no mention of PlayStation 3.
Now a company representative has told GI.biz, "The Grand Theft Auto IV episodic content is exclusive to Xbox 360."
The financial report also stated that fellow Take-Two title LA Noire is due out in fiscal 2008. The spokesperson suggested that both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 releases are likely, stating, "LA Noire is being developed for next-generation systems."
GTA IV will launch on both consoles on October 19.

krackerjack said:
So, why did this happen? Could have been a nice sum of money dropped into Take-Two's mailbox, or there were development issues with the PS3 content. Although not earth shattering, it does differentiate the two console versions of the game now and adds another piece of straw to Sony's already cracking back.[/I]

TTWO did accept a moneyhat for this.

methane47

Just because it didn't show up on the Fiscal Year report doesn't mean it wont exist

We've already gone over this and posting Any information from Joystuq is pointless

Is there anything stopping Take-Two from releasing episodic content for the PS3 in any way?

I'm guessing no but I find it hard to believe MS didn't just throw a clause in there stating that Take Two would be unable to release any content on the PS3, I know I would if I was forking out $30 million for it.

Doel

This really sucks for me even though I own both consoles. Thats because my 2 closest friends only own a PS3 (due to SOCOM, and can't afford to more then 1 next-gen console) so if GTA has any sort of online then I'm going to want to get it for PS3 so I can play with them. So I'll be missing out on this download content which makes me REALLY pissed off.

WTF is Sony doing. I'm sure they could have gotten it as well if they actually tried but probably didn't think it was important.

Tieno

jetjevons said:
Own both systems. Don't care!

Though if MS does drop the price this game will be a system seller for them. Never underestimate the power of GTA.
Plus the royalties they get.

bud said:
yeah, only a bit more than a year left.
Yeah. I was just giving a specific date

quetz67

Banned
I thought that content being (time?!) exclusive was what all the fuzz was about at last years E3 (the tattoo incident)

Snaku

Banned
6h3h9oh.jpg

bud said:
delayed til 2008

Ha ha.

No.

Release Date:
US: October 16, 2007
Europe: October 19, 2007

There are always issues surrounding TTWO's GTA release dates since:
1) It is clearly a critical product for TTWO; and
2) Their fiscal year ends at the end of October, so they've been known use GTA to play around with their revenue & earnings numbers. Need more earnings in the current year, ship out a lot of product immediately. Want to shift the revenue into next year?, delay the product or do a small initial shipment followed by big re-orders in November.

But this is a new management team so maybe they'll handle things differently.

I don't get why this was ever in question. T2 divulged the 30 million that MS paid them for the deal. You don't pay that amount to see that content get shared for free with your competitor.

Tobor

methane47 said:
Just because it didn't show up on the Fiscal Year report doesn't mean it wont exist

We've already gone over this and posting Any information from Joystuq is pointless

pswii60 said:

It's confirmed.

Anyone acting like this is not a big deal is insane. The PS3 is getting a gimped version as far as I'm concerned. I want to play this extra content, and I know a lot of GTA fans are going to feel the same way.

methane47 said:

Check the gamebiz link. It's confirmed. Attention that it's episodic content that is exclusive, not DLC. Ps3 will probably have it's own DLC, like new weapons and shit like that. It was allways said that the exclusive material for the 360 version would be large, it has been said (rumoured) that it will be the size of something like liberty city stories.

DrXym

I thought the PS3 was getting episodic content too? I wonder what the story is with that version.

It would be cool if it did have extra content but not episodic - if it was on the blu-ray disc along with a few extra or extended radio stations.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Is there anything stopping Take-Two from releasing episodic content for the PS3 in any way?

I'm guessing no but I find it hard to believe MS didn't just throw a clause in there stating that Take Two would be unable to release any content on the PS3, I know I would if I was forking out $30 million for it.

The terms of the deal are not public but who knows. I seem to remember stories floating long ago that the PS3 would get its own exclusive episodic content (different from the xbox 360 episodic content) but I haven't seen anything about that in over a year, so maybe that was just a rumor.

Borys

Banned
Superior version confirmed?

I wonder what will be the ratio of 360 to PS3 copies sold?

80:20? (golden ratio)

Tieno

speculawyer said:
Ha ha.

No.

Release Date:
US: October 16, 2007
Europe: October 19, 2007

There are always issues surrounding TTWO's GTA release dates since:
1) It is clearly a critical product for TTWO; and
2) Their fiscal year ends at the end of October, so they've been known use GTA to play around with their revenue & earnings numbers. Need more earnings in the current year, ship out a lot of product immediately. Want to shift the revenue into next year?, delay the product or do a small initial shipment followed by big re-orders in November.

But this is a new management team so maybe they'll handle things differently.
Don't try to disagree with bud, he has a jack nicholson avatar. He used to have a Bruce Willis avatar too, but PG-13 happened.

MightyHedgehog said:
I don't get why this was ever in question. T2 divulged the 30 million that MS paid them for the deal. You don't pay that amount to see that content get shared for free with your competitor.

No, no, no. MS paid them 30 million to get content next year that'll already be in the PS3 version that comes out in October of this year. I read that on GAF! Dig it!

anddo0

Tobor said:
It's confirmed.

Anyone acting like this is not a big deal is insane. The PS3 is getting a gimped version as far as I'm concerned. I want to play this extra content, and I know a lot of GTA fans are going to feel the same way.

gimped?

As long as the initial release is identical thats all that matters.

The only way the PS3 version will be gimped is if the DLC for 360 is a continuation of the GTA4 story. If the DLC is a bunch of side missions I don't see how the PS3 version is gimped.

Possibilities for the PlayStation 3 episodic content.

1. None
2. Timed exclusive. oh bud i am an idiot.
3. Exclusive content based on entirely different scenarios, which would correlate somewhat with the amount of money Rockstar have spent on this little project of theirs and the number of staff they have.

Doel said:
Did you even bother to read the rest of the post...
Of course.

Tobor

speculawyer said:
The terms of the deal are not public but who knows. I seem to remember stories floating long ago that the PS3 would get its own exclusive episodic content (different from the xbox 360 episodic content) but I haven't seen anything about that in over a year, so maybe that was just a rumor.

A Take-Two spokesperson has confirmed to GamesIndustry.biz that the episodic content planned for Grand Theft Auto IV will be exclusively released for the Xbox 360.

It doesn't get much clearer than this.

Microsoft put up the dough, Sony didn't.

Borys said:
Superior version confirmed?

I wonder what will be the ratio of 360 to PS3 copies sold?

80:20? (golden ratio)
Given the userbase they both have now and what it might be by October, and the rather shitty sales performance of third party titles on the PS3 so far, and the price advantage of the X360 over the PS3...I'd say it's gonna be 95% of the sales by end of year on X360.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
jetjevons said:

It'll be very hard to see the benefits of that, coming right after Halo 3. Software sales will be excellent, but hardware ratios will favor Halo 3 moreso than GTA4. MS will make sure of that.

Tobor

anddo0 said:
gimped?

The only way the PS3 version will be gimped is if the DLC for 360 is a continuation of the GTA4 story. If the DLC is a bunch of side missions I don't see how the PS3 version is gimped.

What do you think episodic content means? Sounds like a continuation of the story to me. If it was just weapons and cars, they would call it DLC. Episodic implies more story by definition.

Emiru

Banned
inthezone said:
I think we knew this.

The real story was that the PS3 edition would get its own DLC. Not the Xbox 360's DLC.
You really think MS would have payed all of that money just so sony could get their own dlc? Not likely.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
anddo0 said:
gimped?

I feel the same way. All GTAs have felt like full games to me...if GTA4 somehow feels lacking before the extra content, then the devs have failed to deliver a GTA caliber game. End of story.

By the way, episodic content is exclusive, but DLC isn't. So maybe we'll get some new cars on the PS3 version, who knows.

Top Bottom