• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTC 2019: Nvidia unveils Quake 2 RTX, made together with Q2VKPT dev

lukilladog

Still annoys me that my old friends and myself have zero thanks for all this old media (texture work and model assets). It’s just used, without our consent, in all these videos. What’s even worse is that these textures will undoubtedly be modified to work with a PBR pipeline, as the originals were not, and will likely be released with it.

So essentially you have nvidia releasing my old ass work, among others like Kman and cap_hotkill etc, all with no credits or thank you.

What a complete bummer...

What?. Nvidia paid dozens of streamers money or 2080ti´s to play half an hour of quake rtx, and you got nothing of that?.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
What?. Nvidia paid dozens of streamers money or 2080ti´s to play half an hour of quake rtx, and you got nothing of that?.

Check my later updates, they have been talking to me, and I’ve let them know all the people I know who worked on things. I’ve got a 2080ti coming my way :)

Rat Rage

It makes the game look worse than the original game.

Now, I think I should be more specific. The original game doesn't look bad at all. It's artstyle and graphics fit it's purpose.

Adding the new rtx lighting makes everything look too realistic and adds unneccessary bright and potentially blinding light sources to the game, that clashes with it's "simple" artstyle.

As a tech it's interesting, but using it for old games doesn't add anything, it rather interferes with what made the original games so visually appealing IMHO.

Also, has anyone thought about the visual concept of "suspension of disbelief"? What I always liked about old videogame graphics is that they don't look like reality; sometimes they do like to display walls, characters, textures and stuff, based on real life counterparts, but you're brain always knows its not real, therefore it's easier to accept it and immerse yourself into the game.

I find it relaxing to look at non realistic looking graphics. Same goes for sprite or pixel based graphics or low poly, dirty looking textures like PS1 graphics. To me they don't look worse than todays graphics. They still look great, albeit different.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I still feel that path tracing mod made year ago by that single guy was more impressive.
It did not made any changes to models or game. It just added ray tracing instead of normal rendered.
It showed a great difference between the same assets but with different rendering methods.

This is a proper remaster though. new materials, textures and particles

Top Bottom