• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTC 2019: Nvidia unveils Quake 2 RTX, made together with Q2VKPT dev

ethomaz

Banned
I did not watch the nVidia Computex presentation...

But they really not announced the new RTX 2070 card? Man... they felt no pressure from Navi?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Still annoys me that my old friends and myself have zero thanks for all this old media (texture work and model assets). It’s just used, without our consent, in all these videos. What’s even worse is that these textures will undoubtedly be modified to work with a PBR pipeline, as the originals were not, and will likely be released with it.

So essentially you have nvidia releasing my old ass work, among others like Kman and cap_hotkill etc, all with no credits or thank you.

What a complete bummer...

Last edited:

Leonidas

I did not watch the nVidia Computex presentation...

But they really not announced the new RTX 2070 card? Man... they felt no pressure from Navi?

If the Sapphire Navi leak is true($399/$499 for similar price/performance as Nvidia) then I doubt Nvidia feels any pressure.

Last edited:

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Pretty soon this comic is going to be about covering up your pc monitor too

OVeZOsT.jpg

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If the Sapphire Navi leak is true($399/$499 for similar price/performance as Nvidia) then I doubt Nvidia feels any pressure.

$399 would be massively cheaper and would help it be included in more pre-assembled PC builds. Also for PC’s people may assemble on their own, there are going to be people this price range is good for: it feels weird when PC builds seems to be just about performance and price does not matter as if everyone had the budget for the latest overpriced core i9 and RTX2080...

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
To be fair, Alex Hyder the director of game development programs, contacted me last night. He wants to thank the people who made the original retexture and remodel assets.

I have to be honest, most people would just not care at all and not even bother with a thank you, but he seems to really care about our small little community of people who worked on them all and be willing to go above and beyond. Really decent guy.

So all good from my end, they have my money day one :)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
To be fair, Alex Hyder the director of game development programs, contacted me last night. He wants to thank the people who made the original retexture and remodel assets.

I have to be honest, most people would just not care at all and not even bother with a thank you, but he seems to really care about our small little community of people who worked on them all and be willing to go above and beyond. Really decent guy.

So all good from my end, they have my money day one :)
Did you post about your backstory and the history of your work as it relates to this project? Do you have a link? It sounds interesting.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Did you post about your backstory and the history of your work as it relates to this project? Do you have a link? It sounds interesting.

Sadly, it was an email exchange so I have nothing I can post. But he knew of all our my old work with Q2E, which wow, is old hat these days. Essentially, back when I co-made Q2E with Nicolás, we had a few people help with various assets, textures, models and the like. Of course I also helped with most of it. The media was all presented in targa and md3 form so they could be easily dropped in other source ports and not just Q2E. He knew about overdose, as that’s how he contacted me, and essentially didn’t want people to not be thanked for their work. I’ve given him all the info I have (and also if anybody else is reading this who worked on this stuff, contact me and I’ll forward your details on). Essentially I just want the Quake 2 community who worked on things to be thanked for their efforts, that’s all.

However, with the new release, I have to be honest... my skills as a designer are obviously a tiny bit different to when this stuff was made to today, and a PBR pipeline wasn’t even heard of back then. I’m starting to feel the urge to make some stuff for the RTX release, get it up to spec. Models, textures... its possible. I’ll wait for the release and then see.

But yeah, it’s been a nice chat. He doesn’t seem at all like you would expect somebody with that much power to be, and I’m just happy the old school people are being thanked in any ways possible :)

Tesseract

Banned
Still annoys me that my old friends and myself have zero thanks for all this old media (texture work and model assets). It’s just used, without our consent, in all these videos. What’s even worse is that these textures will undoubtedly be modified to work with a PBR pipeline, as the originals were not, and will likely be released with it.

So essentially you have nvidia releasing my old ass work, among others like Kman and cap_hotkill etc, all with no credits or thank you.

What a complete bummer...

i know the feeling, it's happened to me with two official cs maps

i'm not so pissed because it's valve who did it, they own the rights, but i'm constantly bothered by remakes of work in this industry that do not seek out author permissions

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
i know the feeling, it's happened to me with two official cs maps

i'm not so pissed because it's valve who did it, they own the rights, but i'm constantly bothered by remakes of work in this industry that do not seek out author permissions

See my update :)

Denton

Quake 2 is such a timeless game - the music and gameplay both being crucial components to it. Can't wait to see it in its raytraced glory. 2080Ti purchase redeemed (well Metro Exodus also helped).

llien

If the Sapphire Navi leak is true($399/$499 for similar price/performance as Nvidia)
Not sure what you mean when you say similar, Sapphire claimed "stronger than 2070".
So AMD positioning looks like:

2060($389) < Navi Pro ($399) < 2070 ($499) < Navi XT ($499)

with, I guess, about 10% lead.

pawel86ck

Banned

Quake 2 RTX is delayed or something? It should be out today, yet no one talks about it.

BTW previous mod q2vkpt run around 45-65 fps on 1070 at 480p, so it shows RT cores are really needed to run RT games at higher resolutions.

Last edited:

bee

it's out now, early testing on my 2080ti at stock, running 1440p default settings (all on except global illumination at medium) get 50-70fps, you definitely don't need a high end cpu though

looks amazing

edit: mild overclock takes it to 55-75fps, averaging around 65 most of the time

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Be warned. This will not run very well on your system.

I have a 2080 Ti and I cant even break 60 fps at 1440p.

So far pretty cool though. I like what I see.

chinoXL

just downloaded it..to support the team i paid the 5 bucks for the full game last week. on my OC'd 2080 ti i get 100fps pretty much locked but at 1080p. when you actually read about how much the rtx cards are rendering for ray tracing its pretty dope. best 5 bucks ive spent in a while

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Haha!....17fps @ 4K on my 2080.

Solid 60fps (so far) @ 1080p but looks like dog shit on my 4K monitor.

What to do, what to do.

Odinnii

30-35 Fps @ 4k on my 2080 ti

60 on 1440p.

I think the game is just poorly optimized. Metro ran much better with RTX

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
30-35 Fps @ 4k on my 2080 ti

60 on 1440p.

I think the game is just poorly optimized. Metro ran much better with RTX
I doubt it is poorly optimized, RTX is just very very intense.

Your comparison to Metro Exodus isn't a valid one. Here is why:
Quake 2 RTX utilizes multiple sources of ray tracing and I believe it's fully 100% ray traced.

Metro Exodus, Battlefield or Shadow of the Tomb Raider are not remotely close to 100% ray traced. Metro utilized RTX for mainly for lighting, Battlefield utilized it mainly for reflections I believe and Shadow utilized the RTX for shadows.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

mango drank

There's a multi-GPU toggle in the settings, but does it do anything? Maybe it's for RTX cards only. Or it's a legacy thing? Did people have multiple 3dfx cards hooked up to their PCs 22 years ago?

pawel86ck

Banned
It's possible to pause and see how game would look without denoiser and with much more rays. The difference in texture sharpness is huge, and even shadows looks much better too.

Ulysses 31

It's possible to pause and see how game would look without denoiser and with much more rays. The difference in texture sharpness is huge, and even shadows looks much better too.
Looks terrible without denoiser: like an ugly grain filter with lots of white pixels covering the screen. :sick::sick::sick:

Last edited:

keraj37

There's a multi-GPU toggle in the settings, but does it do anything? Maybe it's for RTX cards only. Or it's a legacy thing? Did people have multiple 3dfx cards hooked up to their PCs 22 years ago?

You got it, it is legacy thing for 3dfx cards. Today it means nothing unless you play on legacy rig of course.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
Looks terrible without denoiser: like an ugly grain filter with lots of white pixels covering the screen. :sick::sick::sick:
You can see noise because there are not enough rays still, but at least you can see how much sharper textures are.

Here are some pictures from DSOG article

These are all high resolution textures but with denoiser they all look blurry.

Lighting thanks to RT looks srunning, but with blurry textures like that I would rather turn RT off. There are also motion artifacts (ghosts) and people also say there are input lag problems.

Ulysses 31

You can see noise because there are not enough rays still, but at least you can see how much sharper textures are.

Here are some pictures from DSOG article

These are all high resolution textures but with denoiser they all look blurry.

Lighting thanks to RT looks srunning, but with blurry textures like that I would rather turn RT off. There are also motion artifacts (ghosts) and people also say there are input lag problems.

Must be something funky going on my end then because here's how it looks without denoiser(view as actual sizer):

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
Must be something funky going on my end then because here's how it looks without denoiser(view as actual sizer):

There should pause key somewhere to switch between offline RT rendering and real time. Offline will render still frame but with much more rays (that's why there's less noise on DSOG pictures).

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yeah....I'm going to call bullshit on that.

No way are you getting 100% and nearly 80-90% higher frame rates than others using a 2080 & 2080Ti.
Don't know where you read that, but I myself was getting 25-35 fps on my 2080 Ti, so I'd say his claim is believable.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I didn't read it, I did it.....my 2080 got 15-17fps @ 4K

...A 2080Ti is faster but its not that much faster.
In other words you made a claim and you had actually no idea what you were talking about. If you did you would read the benchmarks and see that in most games a 2080 Ti is actually offers around a 25-40% performance advantage vs a 2080. That advantage is even better at 4K.

Here is you a review:

Last edited:

bee

if anyone is getting decent frame rates but it still feels bad responsive wise, enable mouse filter! i know that's practically the first thing i disable in every other game but in this it's night and day better for me

I would just ignore 4k for now, it's unattainable with good fps even with 27tflops and rt hardware acceleration as shown above, 1440p runs and looks great though on a single card

can't stop running around chucking flares everywhere haha

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Just to let you all know, I've started working on the re-texture/re-model Quake 2 RTX project from nVidia. I'll be working on assets, bringing them up to spec for current generation quality, BUT, I won't be making drastic changes. I'll be trying my best to keep things more inline with how they looked traditionally. I may add detail here and there of course, but I won't be doing crazy huge changes. Basic shapes and forms will get a little refresh, but nothing MAJOR, like some of the updates do. I've only just started today, like an hours work, so its early days yet. But anyway... Preview time:

shard.png

(For those who don't know, I'm the co-founder of Team Blur Games, and our first project was the Quake II Source port, Quake II Evolved. I worked with several artists, many of which you will find have media that's used in the RTX update including my own. So making media for older Quake games isn't exactly new ground to me. But all that media is 10-15 years old, and was never made for PBR, hence why it doesn't look great).

Last edited:

Gigadeath22

Neo Member
2160p using Nvidia Ansel upscaling and pause mode

(upscaled from 1920x1080 - ~59-75 fps w/ Global Illumination medium)

RTX 2070
i7-9700k

48023907327_ea2b3a855b_k.jpg

48023803271_5e8102515c_k.jpg

Top Bottom