• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia's Cyberpunk 2077 overdrive was not even its final form!

Buggy Loop

Patch 2.1 adds ReSTIR GI !

Now, we're introducing Reservoir-based Spatiotemporal Importance Resampling Global Illumination (ReSTIR GI) with the launch of Update 2.1 and the Cyberpunk 2077: Ultimate Edition. ReSTIR GI is an advanced sampling technique for indirect lighting available in the NVIDIA RTXDI SDK, which further improves the quality of fully ray traced lighting in Cyberpunk 2077.

Before the release of Update 2.1, some scenes were darker than intended due to the loss of lighting energy during denoising. Using ReSTIR GI, local lighting is appropriately bright, and light now travels further, illuminating a scene further into the distance and increasing the brightness of previously illuminated detail.

In Update 2.0, the movement of dynamic characters, the equipping of new weapons and items, or the moving of the camera could cause full ray tracing to visibly update in areas that were previously occluded. With the introduction of ReSTIR GI in Update 2.1, disocclusion noise has been greatly reduced.

With the launch of Cyberpunk 2077: Ultimate Edition and Update 2.1, Ray Reconstruction has been further refined. Now, the fidelity and realism of skin rendering is improved, and the quality of eye reflections enhanced, making character close ups in conversations and cinematic moments even better.

Additionally, Ray Reconstruction will now be usable when activating Ray-Traced Reflections, either as part of a preset, or when configuring custom settings.

Cyberpunk 2077 has been Nvidia's lab for tech since launch, I hope that collaboration continues with the likes of Witcher 4 and Cyberpunk 2.

DF analysis video coming up for sure.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
First and foremost, I'm very pessimistic about them getting the performance out of unreal engine 5. Versus in house engine. But I do love the improvements that they've made just on the PC side to the ray tracing to enhance it even further. I look forward to maybe a digital foundry video covering this because I know they've already covered cyberpunk, but these improvements are some of the main things that it was criticized about like the reflections with retracing global illumination and not even being able to use frame generation with certain effects on. It. Looks like they just took it even further and continue to refine it. And what probably is the best looking game ever gets a little more polished.

Given that some of us have the hardware to run this, we have all the time in the world to see this technology being pushed.

kiphalfton

Nvidia probably funds their work, since it's one of the few games that actually showcase any of the features found on newer Nvidia cards.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I always laugh at these enhancements. I remember Alex jerking off to Metro Exodus back in the day until they finally fixed it 3 years later only for him to pivot and show what a huge upgrade it was. Yes, but why were you jerking off to inaccurate fucking light just 3 years ago?

Same thing has happened with cyberpunk. Three years ago, RTGI was the biggest thing since sliced bread. Then Path tracing gets released and shows just how inaccurate RTGI was. Now they finally fix the ghosting that turned the game into a Vaseline covered mess. In 6 months we will be going back and singing the praises of some new thing they fix.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
It wasn't because anyone who tried it would tell you how it looked like shit in indirect lighting with all the smearing and ghosting. Ray reconstruction on top accentuated the odd oil painting effect. It looks great in Photo Mode but during gameplay, it blurred faces and NPCs so much it was effectively worse than just regular RT.

Last edited:

Killer8

I always laugh at these enhancements. I remember Alex jerking off to Metro Exodus back in the day until they finally fixed it 3 years later only for him to pivot and show what a huge upgrade it was. Yes, but why were you jerking off to inaccurate fucking light just 3 years ago?

Same thing has happened with cyberpunk. Three years ago, RTGI was the biggest thing since sliced bread. Then Path tracing gets released and shows just how inaccurate RTGI was. Now they finally fix the ghosting that turned the game into a Vaseline covered mess. In 6 months we will be going back and singing the praises of some new thing they fix.

Technology evolves. What was impressive one year will not be so much in the following years. It's a tale as old as time.

Buggy Loop

New technology for gaming in real-time to get out of rasterization improves over time, who would have thought.

Dave Chapelle What GIF

We went from Quake 2 RTX 4 years ago to this. Yes, let's all laugh at these enhancements.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Well, I'm okay with spending another 15-20 hours in this world when the update drops tomorrow.

I have like 500+ on the clock across many playthroughs and platforms.

Zathalus

CD Projekt RED's change to Unreal Engine 5 looking more and more like a knee-jerk reaction by the day. The developers are finally mastering the RED Engine pipeline to perfection and then management decides to move away from it SMH.
All of these path tracing and DLSS features are capable of integrating with Unreal 5 as well.

I'd wager Witcher 4 on consoles will use Lumen with the PC version capable of using path tracing.

You are basically arguing to never celebrate graphical enhancements because something better will eventually release.

Metra Exodus original lighting was better then regular lighting. Enhanced then made it even better. Both were worth celebrating.

Cyberpunk is the exact same, RT was better then regular rasterization, PT launched with even better graphics despite some drawbacks that basically everyone took note of. Now they are still improving it even further.

Mister Wolf

Because the inaccurate lighting was still more accurate than the baked lighting of open world games like RDR2 and Horizon Zero Dawn or the realtime light probe based GI solutions of open world games like Halo Infinite, non RT Metro Exodus, and non RT Cyberpunk.

...why do you so often sound like such an asshole
He can be a bit overzealous and overly critical at times, as with others here. Personally I just find ways to navigate around those types of posts or I simply don’t take it as seriously. To be fair though, in SlimySnake’s defense, he just wants what’s best for graphical quality and hates when new, unproven graphical features are overhyped.

I feel like right now, ray tracing and upscaling are going to be the big focus for fidelity for years to come. This is until we hit a comfortable point to where a console or portable experience won’t be such a general downgrade graphically.

Ozriel

M$FT

Technology evolves and eyes get opened. We were singing praises of PS1 games back in the day.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons

Because it was a big deal and made the game look better. The tech evolved and got much much better. Its like saying why did they praise the water in Crysis 1 in 2007 while the water is not perfect or good loooking in 2023.

S4RUI.gif
S4RUd.gif

S4RUu.gif
S4RU7.gif

Not sure what you mean by ‘unproven’ when there’s a video in the OP showing the impact of the new tech, in a game available today.
Apologies, maybe ‘unproven’ is the wrong word. Maybe ‘not final’ works better? Or something to imply that the tech is not at it’s peak.

Gaiff

Come on man. You're better than this.

SlimySnake

Because the inaccurate lighting was still more accurate than the baked lighting of open world games like RDR2 and Horizon Zero Dawn or the realtime light probe based GI solutions of open world games like Halo Infinite, non RT Metro Exodus, and non RT Cyberpunk.
Not at all times. I remember playing metro and the lighting was completely off in RT mode compared to baked lighting.

You can download the original game and see it right at the start of the game when you get kidnapped along with your wife and put into the back of a van. there is a small window where light comes through and it only illuminates his wife's face with no bounce lighting to speak off. Its almost like a shadow instead of actual light bounce.

Same was true for the train and several other interiors but Alex and others just pretended it was accurate. it wasnt until the RTGI was improved did he go back and say ok, so this was broken after all. So yeah, it was worse than standard rasterization.

Even cyberpunk has several scenes that dont make much sense. The artists clearly did not mean to make these scenes so poorly lit and covered in shadows. One of the youtubers covered this when path tracing was added. maybe it was DF.

Here is a comparison of RT, no rt and path tracing. PT makes the biggest difference but mostly with shadows and psycho rt was barely even a difference at all and yet was hailed as visionary back in the day. Something that by default made cyberpunk the greatest looking game of all time simply because it was more accurate. Well, now PT is out and it shows that it was completely inaccurate. In two years, they will fix PT to finally have better light bounce so the entire ceiling isnt covered in shadows and we will once again be saying OMG WHAT WIZARDS!

kYCHbjg.gif

Last edited:

Gaiff

Here is a comparison of RT, no rt and path tracing. PT makes the biggest difference but mostly with shadows and psycho rt was barely even a difference at all and yet was hailed as visionary back in the day. Something that by default made cyberpunk the greatest looking game of all time simply because it was more accurate. Well, now PT is out and it shows that it was completely inaccurate. In two years, they will fix PT to finally have better light bounce so the entire ceiling isnt covered in shadows and we will once again be saying OMG WHAT WIZARDS!

kYCHbjg.gif
So they didn't spot everything in an open-world game? Or are you saying they analyzed this specific scene in your gif back then and determined that Psycho RT was more accurate?

Mister Wolf

Not at all times. I remember playing metro and the lighting was completely off in RT mode compared to baked lighting.

You can download the original game and see it right at the start of the game when you get kidnapped along with your wife and put into the back of a van. there is a small window where light comes through and it only illuminates his wife's face with no bounce lighting to speak off. Its almost like a shadow instead of actual light bounce.

Same was true for the train and several other interiors but Alex and others just pretended it was accurate. it wasnt until the RTGI was improved did he go back and say ok, so this was broken after all. So yeah, it was worse than standard rasterization.

Even cyberpunk has several scenes that dont make much sense. The artists clearly did not mean to make these scenes so poorly lit and covered in shadows. One of the youtubers covered this when path tracing was added. maybe it was DF.

kYCHbjg.gif

For every time you can point out a flaw with the realtime RT, I'm sure if we parsed through the rastered version with a critical eye we would find a ton more faults with the raster. There are entire videos on youtube dedicated to this from DF and many other channels and sites. There is no conspiracy.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

So they didn't spot everything in an open-world game? Or are you saying they analyzed this specific scene in your gif back then and determined that Psycho RT was more accurate?
what? who? DF or CD project?

Gaiff

what? who? DF or CD project?
DF. The gif you showed, did DF specifically point to RT Psycho being more accurate than raster at the time? And then went on to correct themselves and say that actually, PT is more accurate?

Mozzarella

CD Projekt RED's change to Unreal Engine 5 looking more and more like a knee-jerk reaction by the day. The developers are finally mastering the RED Engine pipeline to perfection and then management decides to move away from it SMH.
Yeah im not expert in game design but so far most Unreal Engine games i have seen are just generic and have a lot of performance issues.

SlimySnake

For every time you can point out a flaw with the realtime RT, I'm sure if we parsed through the rastered version with a critical eye we would find a ton more faults with the raster. There are entire videos on youtube dedicated to this from DF and many other channels and sites. There is no conspiracy.
Sure. And Im pointing out that its not ALWAYS accurate like they like to say. If it was so accurate we wouldnt be seeing such massive upgrades.

At least with the ghosting in ray reconstruction, people like Alex called them out in so thats progress I guess. I just cant believe they release a game looking like a vaseline covered mess and were praised for it. Only for them to come out three months later, its fixed now!!!!

StereoVsn

That’s my fear as well. They will f up the performance and the advantages may not materialize at all.

Mister Wolf

Sure. And Im pointing out that its not ALWAYS accurate like they like to say. If it was so accurate we wouldnt be seeing such massive upgrades.

At least with the ghosting in ray reconstruction, people like Alex called them out in so thats progress I guess. I just cant believe they release a game looking like a vaseline covered mess and were praised for it. Only for them to come out three months later, its fixed now!!!!

Of course it isn't. These are real time techniques. There will always be issues. RT lighting has more positives than negatives and is closer to ground truth. Even less accurate RT solutions like Lumen are leaps and bounds better than baked lighting and old probe based realtime GI. The Lumen in Robocop looks great. I wish Halo Infinite had Lumen. Hell I would even take SSRTGI.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

DF. The gif you showed, did DF specifically point to RT Psycho being more accurate than raster at the time? And then went on to correct themselves and say that actually, PT is more accurate?
Of course they did. Go watch Alex's video on cyberpunk. He cherrypicked all these images to show massive leaps like the gifs turk posted but in reality and ive made dozens of comparisons, they didnt make a lick of difference. Its very time of day specific and not entirely accurate as the PT comparison shows. Either PT is wrong today or RT psycho was inaccurate. both cant be true.

SlimySnake

Of course it isn't. These are real time techniques. There will always be issues. RT lighting has more positives than negatives and is closer to ground truth. Even less accurate RT solutions like Lumen are leaps and bounds better than baked lighting and old probe based realtime GI. The Lumen in Robocop looks great.
I am all for dynamic lighting. Lumen or rtgi, i dont care. I just read the thread title being absolutely hyperbolic about this stuff and am reminded me of the discussion surrounding RTGI and how many games were dismissed as inaccurate just because they were using baked lighting. Especially when they themselves werent all that accurate. Its the 180s by people like Alex that made me laugh. And thats why i said it makes me laugh. Nothing more to it. I just find it funny.

He has AMD GPU.

Lindsay Lohan Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

rtx 3080 actually but well played nonetheless.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Of course they did. Go watch Alex's video on cyberpunk. He cherrypicked all these images to show massive leaps like the gifs turk posted but in reality and ive made dozens of comparisons, they didnt make a lick of difference. Its very time of day specific and not entirely accurate as the PT comparison shows. Either PT is wrong today or RT psycho was inaccurate.
No, I mean in that specific instance, For instance, did they say RT Psycho in this exact place and time is more accurate than rasterization only to come back later and say that it actually wasn't? Or are you just using a bunch of random examples where RT Psycho isn't accurate and calling them out for missing them, which is a given since it's an open-world game and there's no way anyone can spot everything.
Either PT is wrong today or RT psycho was inaccurate. both cant be true.
Or PT is just more accurate? In the gif you posted, I'd be shocked if DF pointed out that RT Psycho was much better than raster (in that instance) when there's no real difference. DF tends to showcase examples where there are glaring differences to get the point across.

Turk1993

Of course they did. Go watch Alex's video on cyberpunk. He cherrypicked all these images to show massive leaps like the gifs turk posted but in reality and ive made dozens of comparisons, they didnt make a lick of difference. Its very time of day specific and not entirely accurate as the PT comparison shows. Either PT is wrong today or RT psycho was inaccurate. both cant be true.
Bruh almost every other youtubers comparison showed massive differences in a random scene in the open world. You don't need to search for specific scenarios or places to see the differences.

CP9-2.jpg

CP5-2.jpg

CP4-2.jpg

10.jpg

CP7-2.jpg

9.jpg

VS1.jpg

SlimySnake

No, I mean in that specific instance, For instance, did they say RT Psycho in this exact place and time is more accurate than rasterization only to come back later and say that it actually wasn't? Or are you just using a bunch of random examples where RT Psycho isn't accurate and calling them out for missing them, which is a given since it's an open-world game and there's no way anyone can spot everything.

Or PT is just more accurate? In the gif you posted, I'd be shocked if DF pointed out that RT Psycho was much better than raster (in that instance) when there's no real difference. DF tends to showcase examples where there are glaring differences to get the point across.
For Metro, he definitely missed glaring examples like the one i mentioned. That was the very start of the game too.

For cyberpunk, they focused mostly on hyping up the difference where it does look better and he kept calling it more accurate. More accurate compared to other games that had better lighting simply because this was using RTGI. So many games with baked lighting were dismissed immediately because they didnt feature RTGI simply because they werent accurate. I was like but the lighting looks better in those other games, but nope. Not accurate and thus not better looking. Now thanks to PT, we know it wasnt even accurate. Alan Wake 2 has baked in lighting and has best in class lighting. Now imagine if people kept dismissing the console version of AW2 which easily has better lighting than cyberpunk, metro, star wars, and other rtgi games just because they didnt use RTGI on consoles. That is what the discourse was for the last few years.

Turk1993

SlimySnake SlimySnake Also Psycho RT is more accurate than raster, and OD RT is more accurate than Psycho RT. The Psycho RT was not perfect and was never claimed to be perfect, it was always praised because it got it closer to RL compared to the raster lighting. Same for PT, its not 100% perfect or accurate to RL but its much much closer to it than anything before it. Its the same with movie CGI, its never perfect there is no perfect CGI. They only get closer and closer to the real thing as tech advances just like games.

SlimySnake

Bruh almost every other youtubers comparison showed massive differences in a random scene in the open world. You don't need to search for specific scenarios or places to see the differences.

CP9-2.jpg

CP5-2.jpg

CP4-2.jpg

10.jpg

CP7-2.jpg

9.jpg

VS1.jpg
I have posted many comparisons myself. Wont bother posting them again because thats not my point either. My point is that they keep saying its most accurate but then they turn around and say no, NOW its finally accurate. I can promise you in a few months, they will say the same thing.

Those overdrive shots in your pics and in my gifs are not doing proper light bounces. Those dark areas should not be that dark. Just watch, when they add more rays to the path tracing algorithm, it will do better light bounce.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Tomorrow trailer for the new GTA is dropping and I'm prepared to be disappointed. Cyberpunk ruined graphics for me.

Turk1993

I have posted many comparisons myself. Wont bother posting them again because thats not my point either. My point is that they keep saying its most accurate but then they turn around and say no, NOW its finally accurate. I can promise you in a few months, they will say the same thing.

Those overdrive shots in your pics and in my gifs are not doing proper light bounces. Those dark areas should not be that dark. Just watch, when they add more rays to the path tracing algorithm, it will do better light bounce.
But that happens all the time, you are also doing that. Its just like how all those CGI companies and guys where hyping up Wathmens CGI in 2008 where they said things like the most accurate light simulation or the most realistic blood rendering. Now look at that movie and ask those guys the same question in 2023 and they will laugh at you to claim that Wathmens CGI is even close to accurate in a world where Avatar 2 is released.

Top Bottom