• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X and GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 available by June 2016

Vitor711

Isn't the rumour that the PS4K will have something based on a polaris 10, which is 980ti level iirc (polaris 11 is the small one)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-sonys-plan-for-playstation-4k-neo-revealed

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-top-ten-picks-for-ps4-neo-upgrades

All the Digital Foundry articles point to 970 levels of performance (or a slightly more than 2x boost in GPU, with a relatively minor 30% uptick in CPU speeds).

It's equivalent to the lower end of the high-spec PC parts available right now, not the upcoming 10** models.

Cels

i am trading in my 280x for a 970, $124 net cost to me. dunno if this is a big mistake. i intend to game at 1080p for the near future.

tariniel

Still running a 680 and can't run most new games at 1440p anymore. Finally time to upgrade? Thinking a 1080 depending on price and availability.

I guess I'll set some money aside now and wait.

Do I need a new mobo and such for these? I have an i5 2500k.

bj00rn_

Banned
Already? It's almost 2 years old, If anything it took too long for it to get "outdated". (I also have a 970)

Me too. I knew the day I bought my 970 that I would have to upgrade when CV PCVR came out.

..However, it turns out the 970 (OC'ed to ~980 levels) is performing better in first gen VR than expected. So, at least that's a good thing while we're waiting for faster GPUs..

RedSwirl

Do you play old games, 720p, low-med settings and/or 30 fps?

I wouldn't be able to handle that.

In my experience, the 760 right now is getting basically the same performance as the consoles, probably a little better. If a game runs at 60 on consoles, I can get it to 1080p 60 on the 760 (Metal Gear, Street Fighter, all DICE's games). If it runs at 30 on consoles, I usually end up locking it to 30 on my system. The settings I use in most new games are probably a little higher than the console version and the framerate is usually a little more stable (Witcher 3 maintains 30 almost all the time compared to the console version being stuck in the 20's). I'm told achieving 1080p/60fps GTA V is within reason on the 760 but I haven't tried yet.

But that card is obviously approaching its limit this year, mostly due to memory constraints (and probably the PS4K). 2GB just isn't enough to comfortably run AAA games from the last 12 months or so.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So do we think 1070 will have the performance of a GTX980 Ti at its $350 price point? Or is that too optimistic?

So do we think 1070 will have the performance of a GTX980 Ti at its $350 price point? Or is that too optimistic?
It's possible, but I think it's unlikely. The 970 competes with the 780ti, but still loses in most benchmarks. Who knows though

When I upgraded my 780ti I honestly did feel it starting to struggle with some games. At this point my 980ti still chews everything up and spits it out at a solid 1440/60+

Onemic

The article said that the 1080 will only be roughly better than the 980ti depending on the clockings, meaning theres a possibility that they're blow for blow the same performance wise. If that's true I'd think the 1070 will be worse.

I too have a 760 2Gb

and it's the memory limiting it more than anything else

a lot of console ports are coming in with 3Gb+ memory requirements (Titanfall, RotTR, etc) and the 960 4Gb wasn't enough of a jump to justify the cost

the 1060ti tho

8GB will certainly help but Nvidia made a big thing about the Pascal architecture having a big performance upgrade, so I'm hoping the 1070 / 1080 are at least a little bit more powerful than a 970 / 980, or we might as well just buy a cheaper 970 / 980 when the come down in price.

The End

Assuming the 1060ti is a "true" 6Gb card with slightly-better-than-970 performance, that would be the sweet spot for me.

jayvo

So, anyone know why Nvidia is still using a 256 bit bus on these cards as opposed to 384? That's part of the reason why I will stick with their higher end Ti or Titan cards. At least they have a 384 bit bus with all this memory.

iNvid02

i think i already have the setup for HDR with my new tv and the 980ti's HDMI 2.0a

but the actual games will need to be altered for that right? i recall hl2 hdr but thats about it

tuxfool

Banned
i think i already have the setup for HDR with my new tv and the 980ti's HDMI 2.0a

but the actual games will need to be altered for that right? i recall hl2 hdr but thats about it

AFAIK the 980ti only supports HDMI 2.0 and not the a extension required for HDR (most maxwell cards predate ratification of the standard).

Vuze

I don't think 980Ti does 2.0a either. Are there even any consumer cards that support it?

E: Nvm, apparently R9 39x cards support it in certain resolutions but no 4k either. But this is from a news back when they also presented the DP1.3 slide I really like... so idk.

iNvid02

I don't think 980Ti does 2.0a either. Are there even any consumer cards that support it?

E: Nvm, apparently R9 39x cards support it in certain resolutions but no 4k either. But this is from a news back when they also presented the DP1.3 slide I really like... so idk.

AFAIK the 980ti only supports HDMI 2.0 and not the a extension required for HDR (most maxwell cards predate ratification of the standard).

damn, im doing some reading and some people are saying it can be software updated to 2.0a. also quite a few threads about hdmi and hdcp 2.2 handshake issues. it should be fun setting this thing up.

Gonna hold unto my GTX770 2GB a while longer: the GPU still runs most modern games at 1080P/60FPS on high. The memory limitation is a problem, but not gamebreaking.

Until I can see a GPU priced within the $300-$400 range and capable of running 1080P/60FPS/MAX, I'll keep chugging along. Not even the 970 can guarantee that on many newer titles.

Odrion

Banned
It's possible, but I think it's unlikely. The 970 competes with the 780ti, but still loses in most benchmarks. Who knows though
The power gap between the 780 and 780ti was closer than that of the 980 and 980ti. That's why the 970 was able to reach it.

Also I doubt they're going to make the cards as cheap since this is a new manufacturing process while Maxwell was based on a very mature process.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Chinese leak purported to show the power of the mobile Pascal chips vs the last generation, figured I'd share it here too for those who don't venture into the laptop thread:

UKHXrzD.png

Grain of salt, of course.

Ampsicora

Chinese leak purported to show the power of the mobile Pascal chips vs the last generation, figured I'd share it here too for those who don't venture into the laptop thread:

Damn, so basically a 1080m is almost a 980ti?

1080m being moderately more powerful than full fat 980 makes me sceptical, but I am expecting a big jump, so I guess we'll see.

If the Surface Book 2 has a 1040m, and a 1040m is as good as a 960m, then that would be a HUGE jump at low end performance.

If that's true then... Shit, how fast will the desktop 1080 be?

I'm still cool with my 660ti. Everything (Fallout 4, Witcher 3, Street Fighter V, ect..) still runs great and looks great and still beats the consoles.

I guess the Oculus and Vive would be the things that force me to upgrade?

I know what I said earlier in this thread, but is anyone else just going to wait for HBM2 next year?

I think I might now actually. Still running a gtx 670, I obviously don't play the latest games on PC, but I did over 3 years ago!. I'm still waiting for a big release PC game or something on VR to push me.

Top Bottom