• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTX 970 Class Action Settlement website is live

Cyriades

I bought mine on Newegg.com, they notified me that they'd send instructions. Should I wait until they do? Will they send me a claim number?
I just print a screen of my purchase from newegg and uploaded the picture to their online form.

I should be getting $60

TBH I'd be fine with NewEgg credit if that were possible since I'm going to end up spending it there anyway.

Did anyone else get that e-mail about the settlement regarding a price fixing class action lawsuit settlement on disc drives?

rayisbeast

Neo Member
Here is a copy of the email Newegg sent on Aug 1st.
"Dear GAFFER,

We have been informed about a class action lawsuit settlement with NVIDIA regarding the GTX 970 graphics card. Newegg is currently awaiting details about the settlement claims process (instructions, website). Once we have this important information, we will send you a follow-up email with the specifics on how you can submit your claim.

If you have any questions regarding the information provided in this email, please don't hesitate to contact Newegg Customer Service through one of the convenient contact methods provided here.

Sincerely,
Your Newegg Customer Support Team"

I'm going to wait for the follow up email.

Wait so I haven't been following this, they basically lied about the specifications of the graphics card? And people are only getting 28.50 back for what I assume was a pretty expensive card upon release? Damn :/

Steel

Banned
Wait so I haven't been following this, they basically lied about the specifications of the graphics card? And people are only getting 28.50 back for what I assume was a pretty expensive card upon release? Damn :/

This is the 4gb GDDR5 lie thing. There is 4gb GDDR5 on the card, but only 3.5 gb is usuable, the other is for backround tasks only.

Stimpack

Everyone should have been ok with what the 970 offered though. I mean it was a working GPU and the difference wasn't that big from what they told you.

That's what GAF has told me anyway.
You can't sit there and tell people what they should be OK with.

Arkeband

Banned
Everyone should have been ok with what the 970 offered though. I mean it was a working GPU and the difference wasn't that big from what they told you.

That's what GAF has told me anyway.

Your snark fails because it wasn't even because of the memory discrepancy, it was some other number they fudged.

imagine if you were one of those lucky fucks that got arkham knight, the witcher 3, and then mgsv as a replacement for arkham knight with your 970

and now this!

the gift that keeps on giving.

Basically they are settling with $30 as the difference between 3.5 and 4gb DDR5.

LilJoka

To be fair, it has had no impact at all in the card current life time.

robotrock

Banned
imagine if you were one of those lucky fucks that got arkham knight, the witcher 3, and then mgsv as a replacement for arkham knight with your 970

and now this!

I bought my 970 a few months earlier and all I got was World of Tank credits. I deserve this.

bedlamite

I'm not exactly clamoring for the cash, nor am I dissatisfied with my 970, but this US-only restriction is some bullshit.

Justinh

So I started filling this out and grabbed the invoices for my three card purchases...

Then I stopped.
I've seen an article about this site, but it just links back here (this thread) as a reference.
Wouldn't this settlement site be linked somewhere on Nvidia's main site or something?

Ah, nevermind. I'm sure it's legit. I think I'm just being skitchy because...
Actually I don't know why.

hairygreenpeas

Neo Member
Nice! :)

I actually received an e-mail about a month or two ago from Newegg concerning the lawsuit. I was confused because I bought a 980, as I knew that the controversy was over the 970; turns out it was just an error lol. Got me cautiously excited for a bit there, ha.

bought mine in late 2015 so no ez cash for me

"you may submit a claim for $30 cash for each qualifying GTX 970 device purchased in the U.S. between September 1, 2014 and August 24, 2016."

You qualify for the 30 dollars unless you are outside of the US.

and now this!

I got those and Assassin's Creed: Syndicate.

p22SyyE.gif

and now this!

Between selling 5 game codes, my cards, and this claim, I'll have actually come out of the purchase of 2x 970s in the positive.

The goose that laid a $20~ egg.

Jawmuncher

Your snark fails because it wasn't even because of the memory discrepancy, it was some other number they fudged.

You can't sit there and tell people what they should be OK with.

I wasn't being serious, was referring to another thread where a false claim was fine to sweep under the rug.
Because the end user didn't really "need it" or something like that in the thread.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I bought my 970 on Amazon US and used US currency (and I'm a US citizen) but I happen to live in Canada. I have a mailing address in the US as well.

Am I eligible to file a claim?

Is there any risk in attempting to file if it turns out I'm not eligible?

and now this!

I ended up getting Witcher 3, AK, and now I'm gonna get the Witcher 3 expansions with the claim (when it comes in three years lol).

rrs

"you may submit a claim for $30 cash for each qualifying GTX 970 device purchased in the U.S. between September 1, 2014 and August 24, 2016."

You qualify for the 30 dollars unless you are outside of the US.
could had swore it was 2014 when I read it, guess it's free cash time for me

Top Bottom