• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardian: Sony ends Playstation 2 production worldwide

kswiston

DAT 12 YEAR LIFECYCLE

Good news is, with the PS2 stopping production, Sony has a gaping hole in the console space as they normally support two consoles at the same time. I doubt Sony would want this gap to be longer than a year.

When did PS1 end production? Was it well before the PS3 released?

March 2006 for games. Not sure if the Hardware was discontinued at the same time.

EDIT: Ya, March 2006

http://www.gamespot.com/news/sony-stops-making-original-ps-6146549

Drencrom

When did PS1 end production? Was it well before the PS3 released?

PS3 launched in November 2006. IT'S A SIGN!

epP1Z.gif

Good find on the PS1 ceasing production just 8 months prior to the PS3's launch.

I think this basically confirms that PS4 is going to come by April 2014 at the very latest (16 months post PS2 ceasing production), and possibly points to a very likely Holiday 2013 launch window.

kswiston

Ps4 launching this year would be crazy as hell.

It can't be that far off. The PS3 is seven years old this fall. That is already the longest gap between Sony systems, tying the PSP -> PS Vita transition. If they miss this holiday period, I could see the PS4 launching in 1st quarter 2014.

Maybe time to get a spare.

Also, reporting of PS3 hardware shipments won't be obfuscated by PS2 numbers. And considering they're ceasing production those numbers can't have been a large proportion of "Computer Entertainment System" shipments.

it has to be coming soon, i mean
-ps3 last heavy hitters that we know are coming out before the first half of the year (i don't really believe tlg is actually coming out)
-developers have gone dark on us for a while
-ps2 stopping production
-the vita announcement to launch time period was in the same year if i remember correctly?
-hints of ps4 games like planetside 2 and developers talking about how they have big news this year
-sony executives stating that they don't want to be the last again (who knows if this will happen or not)

it's the worst kept secret in the industry in the sense that everyone knows it's coming this year or early 2014 but we don't know shit about it.

kswiston

it has to be coming soon, i mean
-ps3 last heavy hitters that we know are coming out before the first half of the year (i don't really believe tlg is actually coming out)
-developers have gone dark on us for a while
-ps2 stopping production
-the vita announcement to launch time period was in the same year if i remember correctly?
-hints of ps4 games like planetside 2 and developers talking about how they have big news this year
-sony executives stating that they don't want to be the last again (who knows if this will happen or not)

it's the worst kept secret in the industry in the sense that everyone knows it's coming this year or early 2014 but we don't know shit about it.

The Last Guardian could just be moved to PS4 if it isn't actually vaporware. That first 6 months will largely be up ports anyhow.

ascii42

Great console. I recently picked up OutRun 2006 for it and have been having a blast with it. I picked up Transformers, Rise of the Kasai, and Ghosthunter as well. Brings me up to 180 games for the PS2.

BlackJace

Godspeed.
Regretted that I never owned one. Missed out on a lot of gems
that I'm scrambling to make up via HD Collections and PSN rereleases

Only other console I can think of that challenges it is the SNES.

Fucking amazing console, between that and SNES...just don't make em like they used to.

Here's hoping for a return to form for Sony next gen.

Gav47

Why is this $140 on Amazon?

Most stores have stopped carrying them and third party sellers can charge whatever they want. Sellers on Amazon UK currently have new models listed at £350.

I had so many great times with mine and its is still going 8 yrs later. snakesalute.jpg

Pistolero

Godspeed.
Regretted that I never owned one. Missed out on a lot of gems that I'm scrambling to make up via HD Collections and PSN rereleases

Only other console I can think of that challenges it is the SNES.

And the first playstation, don't forget it!

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
Ahhhh I need to find a backup one somewhere. But I haven't seen them in stores for a while.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
That boot-up.

Thankfully emulation is slowly proceeding to a decent commodity. I've got two PS2's hanging around in my house, one which is straight up PAL and the other has been modded for my imports, so it'll be a sad day if both of them get frazzled.

Yawnier

Banned

Most signs seem to be pointing towards the PS4 launching sometime in the last half of the year. I mean, Sony literally have next to nothing announced for the PS3 in Q3 and Q4 when it comes to software.

Plus, the last half of 2013 is also barren for third party releases right now too for the 360/PS3, it isn't even funny.

Top Bottom