• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Review Round-Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blablurn

The Verge: Don’t get me wrong. The new Guardians has some great jokes, and there’s a slow-motion moment set to Fleetwood Mac that almost lets viewers pretend they’re watching the original film again. And I’m sure it’s going to be the best space-opera you’ll be able to see in theaters until Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets and Star Wars: The Last Jedi roll around. But given that it’s following a film that was so instantly iconic and unforgettable, it’s tragic that so many people are likely to forget Vol. 2 before they’ve even left the theater.

Variety: What do you do for an encore to the best comic-book movie in years? James Gunn's sequel is a witty and extravagant followup, but it works harder for less fun.

Gamespot: Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 is at its best when it's doing something new. I

Screen Junkies Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZwNWC7sHu4

IGN Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De3-5PpTY3o

Comicbook.com: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is a strong follow up to the spectacle that is its predecessor. The lack of focus in its second act doesn't stop Vol. 2 from being a worthy follow-up loaded with surprisingly delightful performances, moving character moments, and action sequences which can please even the biggest comic book fans' imaginations.

5 of out 5 stars.

The Guardian: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 review – funny sequel suffers from pinballing pointlessness. It’s fun, though GOTG2 doesn’t have the same sense of weird urgency and point that the first film had. They’re still guarding, although the galaxy never seems in much danger.

3 of out 5 stars

Jeremy Jahns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e55tY8Rouw

Schomes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTnyXA0qr8g

Mr. Sunday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsdS0Uz6vzg

Nerdist: GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2 is Wall-to-Wall Delightful. The action’s great, the performances are top notch, and the soundtrack is killer. 2017’s first Marvel movie is, impressively, one of the best sci-fi adventures you could hope to see. I defy anyone to watch this and not smile from beginning to end.

4.5 Spaced-Out Burritos out of 5

Collidor: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2’ Review: A Bunch of Hilarious, Poignant A-Holes. Ultimately, Vol. 2 can’t quite live up to the legacy of the first film, but it’s got everything you could want from a big superhero spectacle and then some. If you came for big laughs and good tunes, you’re going to get that, plus a surprising amount of emotional poignancy, and once you see what Gunn has in store for the Guardians, you’ll be happy he’s already confirmed to finish their arcs in the final film of the trilogy. However, if they hype machine has you expecting the best Marvel movie yet, you would be well served to adjust your expectations accordingly.

Rating: B+

Hollywood Reporter: As before, his bluffly cynical, good-times attitude supplies a devil-may-care feel to the proceedings that's quite appealing to audiences. But Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 plays like a second ride on a roller-coaster that was a real kick the first time around but feels very been-there/done-that now.

Will update...

Sounds like a pretty good sequel. It's a shame it ain't blowing the potential wide open or anything but the trailers made it look like more of the same anyways. Reviews are about as expected after seeing the trailers for this

Those quotes make it sound like this is another one of those 'lightning in a bottle' situations where they just couldn't get it to strike twice. Pretty sure it'll be a good movie at the very least.

I'm not surprised. The first one I feel is really overrated and the trailers for the new one looked like more of the same but emphasizing the stuff that wasn't so great about the first one (Bad CG outside of main cast, lame humor, etc.)

Socreges

Banned
I'm not surprised. The first one I feel is really overrated and the trailers for the new one looked like more of the same but emphasizing the stuff that wasn't so great about the first one (Bad CG outside of main cast, lame humor, etc.)
Not sure you should be taking these reviewers at their word then since they all pretty much loved the first one.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Sounds like it's more of the same which if you wanted that, you'll be happy but if you wanted something new, you might be disappointed.

fauxtrot

Banned
Weren't they touting how this movie rated a perfect score in the test screenings? That always seemed like bad karma to do so...

In all honesty, I'd happily sacrifice this movie to the comic book gods if it means we get great Spider Man and Thor movies this year.

It's a little scary that the "likely to forget it" quote reminded me immediately of Thor 2.

Wasn't Thor 1 the previous "dark horse," relatively speaking? I think in addition to Thor 2 just not being very good, it was also a continuation of the least interesting of the Marvel film franchises.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
These Marvel movies are all the same to me, a fun 2 hours that is quickly forgotten. I don't expect this will be any different.

GCX

It's a little scary that the "likely to forget it" quote reminded me immediately of Thor 2.
If the words "likely to forget" makes you immediately think of Thor 2, is it actually memorable because it's so easy to forget?

Or maybe I just need some sleep.

Mr. Tibbs

Hollywood Reporter:

As before, his bluffly cynical, good-times attitude supplies a devil-may-care feel to the proceedings that's quite appealing to audiences. But Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 plays like a second ride on a roller-coaster that was a real kick the first time around but feels very been-there/done-that now.

I will say that I liked the first one a little less each time I watch it and liked it enough to see it twice in the cinemas (the only MCU I've done that for). Not really expecting this to hold up over time but just a great time at the cinemas which I'm sure this will be.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
17 Fresh/2 Rotten right now

Bar a few last-act wobbles and the odd tonal shift, Gunn has done it again, crafting a sequel that keeps the focus on the characters we fell for first time around while pumping up the volume
Tonal shift? Now I am curious

Maximo

If the word "forgetful" makes you immediately think of Thor 2, is it actually memorable because it's so easy to forget?

Its the forgotten movie that everyone remembers they forgot?

If the word "forgetful" makes you immediately think of Thor 2, is it actually memorable because it's so easy to forget?

I would've forgotten about Thor 2 years ago if people on GAF didn't keep bringing it up.

Marvel really needs to slow down and get better quality control instead of just pumping these movies out like products on the factory floor. They should throttle down to 1 film a year and make sure the plot and script are dynamite.

Hydrargyrus

The jokes in the trailers looked very forced and poor, especially all the Drax jokes.

It's easy to understand that it won't be as good as the first one, but sure it's decent at least.

SCChappy

Banned
And he really liked Suicide Squad.

I usually agree with Jeremy's view but I don't know what movie he saw in Suicide Squad. Seems like he was an exception with that though.

Anyway, making a movie worse than SS would be a serious achievement in my mind.

Dalek

Oh my god. Spoilers are up on Reddit. Be warned.

the last end credit scene is the greatest thing ever.

Theecliff

Banned
eh sounds decent if not a bit samey, i'm sure it'll be an enjoyable time.

feel like it's a bit of a shame that the film doesn't sound like it's much improved or fixed a few problems over the previous film though. much like the winter soldier and the avengers i thought the original was close to being great but not quite so. oh well. beyond this i'm fairly tepid on spider-man and wonder woman and i'm not looking forward to justice league so i'm hoping waititi knocks it out of the park with ragnarok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom