• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Review Round-Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really know how to respond to this in a thread where people have literally made the effort to explicitly mention it man.

Yes, people really do care. I think people care more now that stuff like the MCU and DCEU are around and literally thrive on some form of continuity between the films in a shared universe. Its sort of at the forefront of everyone's minds these days.

Now had they just recast it all (including logan) and relaunch a Cinematic Universe after X-3, and then STUCK with continuity from then on, then maaaaaybe.... But they probably got cold feet at First Class because Hugh is such a box office draw.

That's on them though, they made the choice. Gotta live with the criticism afterwards.

You can throw me in the ‘don't care about continuity' category

I like seeing individual movies with a start, middle and end (unless it's a big story split into 2 or 3 movies which is fine). The MCU for me is like one long ass TV series where (almost) everything looks the same, feels the same and everything is shackled to the movie before it or movies on the horizon and can't be free.

Its why I love Iron Man 1 coz it was the first movie before the MCU kicked off and they did what they wanted and wasn't shackled to anything and its why I love the 1st Guardians movie as it dismissed previous MCU movies and did its own thing.

This whole 1 universe continuity thing is what has made many MCU movies IMO dull and forgettable for me and has been a disaster so far for the DCEU.

You can throw me in the ‘don’t care about continuity’ category

I like seeing individual movies with a start, middle and end (unless it’s a big story split into 2 or 3 movies which is fine). The MCU for me is like one long ass TV series where (almost) everything looks the same, feels the same and everything is shackled to the movie before it or movies on the horizon and can’t be free.

Its why I love Iron Man 1 coz it was the first movie before the MCU kicked off and they did what they wanted and wasn’t shackled to anything and its why I love the 1st Guardians movie as it dismissed previous MCU movies and did its own thing.

This whole 1 universe continuity thing is what has made many MCU movies IMO dull and forgettable for me and has been a disaster so far for the DCEU.

The idea that a movie can't have a defined beginning and ending because it's a part of a series is so stupid. So so stupid.

Glad to see the reviews have improved in the 12 hours since I last checked.

The idea that a movie can't have a defined beginning and ending because it's a part of a series is so stupid. So so stupid.

Glad to see the reviews have improved in the 12 hours since I last checked.

Don't blame me, blame some of the MCU movies which tie into other MCU films that could throw you off completely if you haven't watched them all and end with cliff hangers/shoe horn future movie stuff in.

Blader

Every Marvel movie has a defined beginning, middle, and end. None of them close with a "to be continued." By the time the credits roll, the story has ended.

GotG is pretty much the only MCU film I don't actively dislike (nods to the Cap films), so more of the same sounds great to me! Really great!

Ok, not that great.

But I'll go see this anyway.

Don't blame me, blame some of the MCU movies which tie into other MCU films that could throw you off completely if you haven't watched them all and end with cliff hangers/shoe horn future movie stuff in.

None of what you mentioned makes a movie like The Winter Soldier, for example, less contained than it is. You don't pick up on everything in the movie because you didn't watch the previous film? That's continuity. The story in the movie is still the story in the movie. It's not a negative. Seriously, the only people who ever have a problem with this seem to be the ones that watch all the movies anyways. Most people who drop in on one Avengers film every couple years never really give a shit. If that's what you wanna do, do it.

No one ever complains that something like Uncharted 4 throwing off people who haven't played the first 3 is a bad thing. If you don't like the MCU movies, you don't like the MCU movies, but blaming it on them telling a story that actually makes sense, doesn't.

As it is, the lack of continuity is just a single item on a long, long list of why the X-Meh movies are generally shit.

I just saw it. It was good, but far from the best Marvel movies to me.
Good cinematography, interesting ideas and funny jokes, but the movie just doesn't feel right. It's more like a Star Trek episode without philosophy and just long jokes (that sometimes become a problem).
Instead of being an adventure movie with an original group, Vol.2 is even more about the team. There is a message, a good message there, but yeah... could have been much better.
I have faith in Gunn, but man Marvel should really shake things up.

guek

Banned
I have faith in Gunn, but man Marvel should really shake things up.

This feels like the prevailing sentiment. I walked out of Dr. Strange having enjoyed it but hoping they do something more unique in their next installment. I guess I'll have to temper my expectations a bit...

SpaceWolf

Banned
The plot of Thor 2: Dark World Boogaloo concludes when that movie ends.

Though now that I think of it, the first Thor ended with sort of a cliffhanger didn't it?

I'll never understand why that film didn't end with Thor stranded on Earth instead of the other way around.

Good Cinematography in a Marvel movie?
Am I wandered in a Mirror-Dimension?
Lots of cg but done right. The movie just looks good.
This feels like the prevailing sentiment. I walked out of Dr. Strange having enjoyed it but hoping they do something more unique in their next installment. I guess I'll have to temper my expectations a bit...
I mean, in a way it's different, since it feels so personal at times. Yet you can still see the formula there.
I think that the sentiment about this movie will be very divisive, but I can't see many people loving it.

AndersK

The consensus was up rather fast, isnt the norm 70-100 revieiws? Maybe RT has more reviews ready to go and feel comfortable with an early consensus. I think SS's got stealth-revised at one point.

Shamelessly stolen from Box office discussion, but if GotG vol 2 was to have 280 reviews counted, and every last one of the remaining 220 reviews were rotten, it'd end up at 18 percent. Twice the percentage of F4ntastic.

...My god Josh Trank.

Edit: I'm a member! Oh boy!

Kurt Russel sucks.

8iYYrDl.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom